AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-07-24, 05:29   Link #1
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Hourou Musuko

Category: Drama, gender bender, school life, seinen
Author/Artist: Shimura Takako

Excerpt from OM:
Shuichi Nitori is a 5th grade student who likes to bake and has always been something of a feminine boy. When he transfers to a new school, Shuichi is mistaken for his 6th grade sister on his first day. Then he ends up sitting next to Yoshino Takatsuki, a tall, boyish girl who everyone calls "Takatsuki-kun." They both have secrets they can't let anyone know....

DAMN this is a great manga XD. I think this has some very good characterization. How both Shuu and Yoshino deal with dressing opposite their sex seemed very realsitic to me for children their age and gave the manga itself a far more mature feeling than I expected. The only thing I don't like is that it sometimes seems to jump from one scene to another out of nowhere, which confuses me sometimes, but it doesn't bother me at all, I just wanted to point that out.

Just finished reading chapter 31 and 32. Twas EXCELLENT!

Spoiler for chap 31:

Spoiler for chap 32:

Last edited by frubam; 2010-04-11 at 19:29. Reason: changed translated chap #
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 05:51   Link #2
Vash002
Ready to Boast

I looove Hourou Musuko and I can't wait for chapter 33.

Spoiler for Ch 32- Chiba:

Everyone loves Shuu.
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 06:55   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Note, there is a thread for this here, but since the initial topic had no info on the series whatsoever(and the thread creator was banned) thought I'd make a new one. Merge'em if you see fit.
We don't normally like duplicate threads but in this case it was a good call since the original thread didn't really say anything (neither did the follow up posts).

The thread you linked above has now been deleted so you may want to remove the link from your opening post.

BTW, good job on this opening post, now this is the way it should be done
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 08:11   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

They put this one on onemanga? Hmm, I hope it gains some fans here then, since it seems a lot of us in this forum seems to use that site a lot. I was following it directly from the scanlators (Kotonoha -- great group, good quality and excellent choices in manga) but didn't keep up after a while.

A brilliant slice-of-life manga. I should go and read the latest chapters soon I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash002
Spoiler for Ch 32 - Chiba:
She's just a complicated girl.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 16:43   Link #5
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash002 View Post
I looove Hourou Musuko and I can't wait for chapter 33.

Everyone loves Shuu.
Ah yeah she was kinda like that when it came to Shuu . It'd been great if her and Anna could have met, esp after
Spoiler:
Old 2008-07-24, 19:00   Link #6
Vash002
Ready to Boast

Quote:
Ah yeah she was kinda like that when it came to Shuu . It'd been great if her and Anna could have met, esp after
Spoiler:
I don't like Anna to much, since she:
Spoiler for Anna the meanie:
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 22:50   Link #7
excelence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash002 View Post
oo yeah... second that, she's scary XD

btw what's the last chapter released in Japan?
excelence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 13:37   Link #8
frubam
simp for Lyria

YAY a new chapter !!! I didn't think I'd ever see another chap.
Spoiler for chap 33:
Old 2008-11-30, 23:14   Link #9
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I just caught this manga. I love it ^^

Too bad it's been 2 months and no release yet >.<

Waiting for the next chapter is sooooo... ooo i'm impatient.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 17:03   Link #10
frubam
simp for Lyria

Wow, 6 months O.O. Anyway, more chapter releases to the end of vol 5. I think I might prefer it in vol batches. The story moves better this way.

Spoiler for chp 34 ~ 42:

Last edited by frubam; 2009-03-07 at 17:19.
Old 2009-03-07, 23:44   Link #11
frubam
simp for Lyria

Okay, apparently Anon did the scans all the way up to the chap 57, which means it's more or less up-to-date.

Spoiler for up to chap 57:
Old 2009-03-07, 23:53   Link #12
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

I'm glad you've kept us in the loop about this manga. Takako Shimura is fast becoming one of my favourite mangaka. A friend introduced me to this one after I read Aoi Hana. I'm definitely amazed at the subject matter she chose to take on. Thanks again!
Old 2009-03-07, 23:58   Link #13
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
I'm glad you've kept us in the loop about this manga. Takako Shimura is fast becoming one of my favourite mangaka. A friend introduced me to this one after I read Aoi Hana. I'm definitely amazed at the subject matter she chose to take on. Thanks again!
No problem . I've been meaning to take a look at Aoi Hana. How is that?
Old 2009-03-08, 00:02   Link #14
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
No problem . I've been meaning to take a look at Aoi Hana. How is that?
It's got that very dreamy quality that Hourou Musuko does except it's more yuri. You find yourself rooting for the most interesting characters. Some people find the pace in Aoi Hana to be slow but, after reading this manga, you'll see that it's fairly similar but change of subject matter (one girl falls in love with another, gets her heart broken, realises that she's still crushing on her best friend, deals with her feelings for women in general, etc). It's sweet, funny and sad. Kotonoha was doing that one too for a while. They finished up Vol 3. Vol 4 is due out sometime this summer, if I recall correctly.
Old 2009-03-08, 00:07   Link #15
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
It's got that very dreamy quality that Hourou Musuko does except it's more yuri. You find yourself rooting for the most interesting characters. Some people find the pace in Aoi Hana to be slow but, after reading this manga, you'll see that it's fairly similar but change of subject matter (one girl falls in love with another, gets her heart broken, realises that she's still crushing on her best friend, deals with her feelings for women in general, etc). It's sweet, funny and sad. Kotonoha was doing that one too for a while. They finished up Vol 3. Vol 4 is due out sometime this summer, if I recall correctly.
I'll check that out, thanks . I'm just afraid of a cliffhanger like HM, where just before junior high, everyone was broken up, then no chap releases afterword. What a way to leave the series off. Pure torture I tell ya T_T.
Old 2009-03-08, 05:31   Link #16
denice25

cant wait to see the chapter 33..definitely a winner!!
denice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 10:44   Link #17
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by denice25 View Post
cant wait to see the chapter 33..definitely a winner!!
It's already out there.

Quote:
I'll check that out, thanks . I'm just afraid of a cliffhanger like HM, where just before junior high, everyone was broken up, then no chap releases afterword. What a way to leave the series off. Pure torture I tell ya T_T.
I can totally understand that. I was going through that same problem with HM until you filled me in on the rest. BTW, there are now 8 volumes of HM released in Japan. You might want to update your primary post to reflect that. I'm buying the rest of them today through Kinokuniya *dances excitedly*

Last edited by Kieli; 2009-03-08 at 11:36.
Kieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 17:47   Link #18
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
I can totally understand that. I was going through that same problem with HM until you filled me in on the rest. BTW, there are now 8 volumes of HM released in Japan. You might want to update your primary post to reflect that. I'm buying the rest of them today through Kinokuniya *dances excitedly*
Thanks, I'll do that.

I read all the trans chaps of Aoi Hana today, and it's just as you said, it's just like this, but a diff subject matter. I'm not usually fond of yuri, but this story is done in such a way that you can't help but to root for the characters.
Spoiler for Aoi Hana ~ to chp 18:
Old 2009-03-08, 20:36   Link #19
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Spoiler for Aoi Hana ~ to chp 18:
Same here. She's like every cocky jerk I've ever met. Fumi is that mild kind of heroine. You both sympathise with her and admire her strength. And damned if you don't wish that she gets her happy ending. Aoi Hana is that rare yuri manga worth reading (I will admit to being a yuri fan, I am gay after all, but I don't read ALL yuri. Just the ones that catch my attention.) Morishima Akiko has a couple of volumes out there that are pretty good too. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy HM for as long as it lasts.
Old 2009-03-13, 10:36   Link #20
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Fumi is that mild kind of heroine. You both sympathise with her and admire her strength. And damned if you don't wish that she gets her happy ending.
Yeah, since Fumi gives off an air of a type of girl that can never say 'No' to someone who's aggressive, I was surprised she blew 'her' off when 'she' asked Fumi to come back. The mangaka never disappoints .

Anyway, to get back on topic:

Spoiler for chp 58:

Tags
drama, seinen