AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index II - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 26 23.42%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 19.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 24.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 16.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 6.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 5.41%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.90%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.90%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.70%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-10-17, 10:45   Link #121
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francismeunier View Post
But they do put them sometimes or use techniques not to have the naked girl. Also sexual gratification is not to all when they see the situation and to me season 1 stuff so far is not a sexual gratification but I see the scenes more as comedy and in this one they totally in this episode more to me sexual gratification especially the Touma falling near the panties of that nun. There was nowhere near anything like that in season 1.
Again, just because you didn't find it funny doesn't mean the scene wasn't comedic. Someone else was laughing about this scene.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 10:47   Link #122
Francismeunier
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I doubt the anime could somehow depict this properly, but Sister Agnese Sanctis have a slight quirk to her character. When speaking to people of a foreign language, she prefers to use yet another foreign language that both of them aren't native to. For example, she's Italian while Stiyl and Index are British; rather than speaking in either language, she prefers to use Japanese to speak because it's a language neither of them are native to.
This is also somewhat responsible for her seemingly random scene where she tripped on thin air () and fell with Touma. Because Touma cannot understand any language other than Japanese, Agnese is forced to use Japanese to speak to a native Japanese, which makes her all nervous because she's afraid that her Japanese might sound strange to a native Japanese person
Well that's a key information! Now I understand better. So that's why that accident happened and she got nervous. Well it certainly explains all but why would she not be able to change her character in regards to that?
Quote:
Secondly, Index explain that the Amakusa uses a special magic that involves 47 gateways/portals that are almost untrackable to evade and hide from their enemies. What the anime didn't explain in painful detail was how this spell came about. The name of this spell base on the [Dai Nihon Enkai Yochi Zenzu] (大日本沿海輿地全図 maps of Japan's coastal area) that the famous Japanese surveyor Ino Tadataka created by using Idol Theory. The short explaination for Idol Theory goes like this; If you create a replica of a magic symbol, you would be able to harness the power of that magic symbol. For example, if one were to build a duplicate of the cross when Christ was crucified, and put it on the roof of a church, they’ll get some Holy power from those actual Cross wielders. Although the power of the duplicate is not even 0.000000000001% of the original.
Another great information which I read with passion although a farmer like me had some difficulty understanding it but I can see why it would not work out for anime with all those people buying Idols of their favorite characters......do wonder if they buy lots of Kannagi stuff while it give power to the people to make a second season or perhaps to B Gata H Kei. It would certainly give out more power to make anime if buying many of those Idols like K-ON ones.
Quote:
However, the opposite also works the same, it is through the replica, one can also affect the original, but this is still a Hypothesis and isn't 100% confirmed. Ino Tadataka used this ‘Idol Theory’ in the opposite manner. He understood that the real one and the idol will affect each other, so he plotted 47 ‘portals’ on the Dai Nihon Enkai Yochi Zenzu that originally didn’t exist on the Japanese islands. Thus, these entrances that allow people to come and go as they please appeared in modern Japan. For those wondering if that map can be used as an IWIN button, the condition for being an idol is being a ‘duplicate’; as long as there’s even a slight difference in the levels of magic used between the idol and the original, the idol will lose its purpose. So, the ‘Idol Theory’ can’t be used to solve everything. Once the original ‘image’ is changed, the theory cannot be used. Index explained that There was a group of magicians in the past who tried to use a stone sculpture that looked like the ‘Son of God’ to control the ‘Son of God’ in the heavens, but it ended up in failure.
So if they make a change in all this can they nullify the portals all together somehow? I mean it would be beneficial to most of them since the Amakusa cannot use them anymore.
Quote:
And lastly... Maybe for a surprise dramatic effects later on... But Stiyl said that the author of the [Book of the Law] is a man named EDWARD ALEXANDER...
That is interesting because I found out that this books exists here=>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_the_Law
but why does it say Aleister Crowley wrote it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Again, just because you didn't find it funny doesn't mean the scene wasn't comedic. Someone else was laughing about this scene.
Well of course I agree with you that all are different therefore their views and reactions are different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
Uh.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm thinking of "fanservice" this way.

[/B]

To add.

Good characters making use of good characterization. - Fanservice.

Good action - Fanservice.

HELL YEAH GORE! - Fanservice.

OMG what the hell a miniskirt nun getting a boy on her crotch - FanDISService.

I can't think of any other definition towards fanservice. A fanservice is a fanservice if it's agreed upon that viewers like it. I'm not one for explanation of why do I think so, but... well, I don't think I can be comfortable with how people call and define "fanservice" as it is now.
Well you can't think like that let's say towards Kanon 2006 nor Clannad. I think the comfortable is more towards anime making only money and things like Angel Beats are out of the question to make tons like in the 90s. Got to make more money to make more anime but in the old days things might have been less expensive so that's why I think anime is just making too many things of what makes money more than of taking the risk of what might not.
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 10:52   Link #123
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Well you can't think like that let's say towards Kanon 2006 nor Clannad. I think the comfortable is more towards anime making only money and things like Angel Beats are out of the question to make tons like in the 90s. Got to make more money to make more anime but in the old days things might have been less expensive so that's why I think anime is just making too many things of what makes money more than of taking the risk of what might not.
B-but I'm talking about what makes a "fanservice" a "fanservice".....

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 10:56   Link #124
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Well of course I agree with you that all are different therefore their views and reactions are different.
Exactly, which means the scenes in this episode were no different than the other scenes in the previous seasons. They were all scenes intended to be both funny and sexy. Difference? Zero.
Old 2010-10-17, 11:35   Link #125
Francismeunier
Banned

Quote:
Exactly, which means the scenes in this episode were no different than the other scenes in the previous seasons. They were all scenes intended to be both funny and sexy. Difference? Zero.
According to Shinji103 he rather thinks it was for sexual gratification mostly.
Quote:
B-but I'm talking about what makes a "fanservice" a "fanservice".....
Yeah in terms of quality I would agree on that one.
Old 2010-10-17, 11:36   Link #126
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Uh. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm thinking of "fanservice" this way.

Good characters making use of good characterization. - Fanservice.

Good action - Fanservice.

HELL YEAH GORE! - Fanservice.
Agreed. by extensive meaning, yeah, they're all some sort of "fanservice". But, I think, we all know what the term "fanservice" (mainly) refers to nowdays...

Quote:
OMG what the hell a miniskirt nun getting a boy on her crotch - FanDISService.
Allow me to disagree.
But, then again, I shouldn't be talking about this matter, since I'm biased towards fanservice. well, just stating my opinion.
Old 2010-10-17, 11:38   Link #127
Francismeunier
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
Allow me to disagree.
But, then again, I shouldn't be talking about this matter, since I'm biased towards fanservice. well, just stating my opinion.
ROFL! You are not biased but crazy fan service appreciator! I know you!
Old 2010-10-17, 11:42   Link #128
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
Allow me to disagree.
Then if you like it, then it is fanservice :P

See how I addressed the sentence before I put the "fanservice" in - if people don't like it, then the "intended fanservice" fails.

I'm just putting the example there XD

... wow, I wonder what kind of resistor do you have to take in "fanservice" as if it was nothing, if the poster above me is to be believed. :P

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 11:57   Link #129
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

BTW, how accurate was the anime when they shown the streets of London in ep2?
Old 2010-10-17, 13:00   Link #130
Dominic Night
Its time to Exist

I enjoyed the episode.
Although I probably won't watch it subbed for a while. I'm just glad that they didn't skip too many parts.

Claiming Angelance (The small one with the golden braids) and Agnese as mai waifu's.
Dominic Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 13:19   Link #131
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Actually, those would be your words, not his.
Old 2010-10-17, 13:22   Link #132
Francismeunier
Banned

Red face

Quote:
That he used specifically after I mentioned then.
Old 2010-10-17, 13:32   Link #133
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko
The 'Mikoto or fail' comments though, do seem quite out of place to me. I mean, she's my favorite character too, but for crying out loud we just got an entire 24 episode series centered around Mikoto, god forbid that the series called To Aru Majutsu no Index actually has, y'know, more Index in it.
I completely agree with Keroko. People keep forgetting that Mikoto is a SIDE CHARACTER in Index on the SCIENCE SIDE. There is no reason why she would suddenly appear when magic takes a hold of the story. If you want more Mikoto then go and rewatch Railgun. It completely annoys me when people demand more of her when we JUST had an entire spinoff series about her months ago (and then people were complaining about needing more TOUMA). Can't people just shut up and be happy with what they have? It's not like there's a deficit of either Mikoto or Touma so why the hell are people demanding more of them in the series where they're not even the main character?

I watch Index for the universe and for the plot, not for some rank three tsundere. Sorry for all the people who actually do follow the To Aru series just for Mikoto, but that's my opinion.

Quote:
Secondly, Index explain that the Amakusa uses a special magic that involves 47 gateways/portals that are almost untrackable to evade and hide from their enemies. What the anime didn't explain in detail was how this spell came about. The name of this spell base on the [Dai Nihon Enkai Yochi Zenzu] (大日本沿海輿地全図 maps of Japan's coastal area) that the famous Japanese surveyor Ino Tadataka created by using Idol Theory. The short explaination for Idol Theory goes like this; If you create a replica of a magic symbol, they would be able to harness the power of that magic symbol. For example, if one were to build a duplicate of the cross when Christ was crucified, and put it on the roof of a church, they’ll get some Holy power from those actual Cross wielders. Although the power of the duplicate is not even 0.000000000001% of the original.
I do think they should have included this information in the episode since the explanations are what makes Index interesting. However, I can see that they were pressed for time and so it makes sense that they would leave that part out. It makes me wonder they'll handle other arcs needing explanations for their magic - will they leave those out to favor the action sequences or will they leave them in to try and give more background for the arcs?

Last edited by SuzushinaYuriko; 2010-10-17 at 14:07.
SuzushinaYuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 14:18   Link #134
giorno

Quote:
Because Edward Alexander Crowley is the real name of Aleister Crowley(and yes, in case anyone was wondering, it is the same Aleister Crowley you saw floating upside down in a tube in season 1, you know, the true ruler of Academy City)
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 14:35   Link #135
Francismeunier
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
Because Edward Alexander Crowley is the real name of Aleister Crowley(and yes, in case anyone was wondering, it is the same Aleister Crowley you saw floating upside down in a tube in season 1, you know, the true ruler of Academy City)
Oh yeah that's true! ROFL! What a parody twist. So is it himself who wrote the book or they are using Alexander Edwards to mask his name?

Another interesting thing is that is Aleister really the true ruler or someone higher than him is up because the Church seems to have many factions so one can guess there might be one higher than him. PM any novel spoilers if you must to answer this.
Old 2010-10-17, 14:44   Link #136
tsunade666

the best way to answer that is to go to the novel thread. It can enlighten you on lots of things specially the magical and science terms which is left untold because it would eat up the time of the anime.
Old 2010-10-17, 15:10   Link #137
Jze0
Hmmm...

I can see that Touma is still gathering more people to his harem this season. Its like hes got some magic power to trigger such events... oh wait, maybe he does since thats why it always happens to him.

Anyway, good episode set up, I guess this is where season 2 truly begins. Can't wait for some of the new characters to still be introduce.

Not sure if its been mentioned but did anyone else also think the new male character in the preview looks similar to Mugen from Samurai Champloo. Just thought it was weird.
Old 2010-10-17, 15:54   Link #138
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jze0 View Post
I can see that Touma is still gathering more people to his harem this season. Its like hes got some magic power to trigger such events... oh wait, maybe he does since thats why it always happens to him.
Its his misfortune that brings him these events You also gotta love the scene where Index was in sleep-mode and still wanted to bite Touma

Quote:
Anyway, good episode set up, I guess this is where season 2 truly begins. Can't wait for some of the new characters to still be introduce.
I believe with every new season, they always go with the 1st episode to refresh everyone's minds, then by episode 2 everything is set back in.

Quote:
Not sure if its been mentioned but did anyone else also think the new male character in the preview looks similar to Mugen from Samurai Champloo. Just thought it was weird.
I thought that also!!! I instantly thought (You look familiar...) when I saw him
Old 2010-10-17, 16:34   Link #139
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
But they do put them sometimes or use techniques not to have the naked girl. Also sexual gratification is not to all when they see the situation and to me season 1 stuff so far is not a sexual gratification but I see the scenes more as comedy and in this one they totally in this episode more to me sexual gratification especially the Touma falling near the panties of that nun. There was nowhere near anything like that in season 1.
You keep saying the season 1 fanservice wasn't for sexual gratification, but have yet to point out how it's not and how it's any different from the season 2 fanservice. Catching a panty shot is a heck of a lot more innocent than seeing a girl stark naked.

Quote:
Yeah my grammar is bad I live in a French environment. Yeah I recognize the comedy thing of the tent but did they have to show in detail Index's body...sounds to me like sexual gratification.
So you're saying the fanservice in this episode was different than in season 1 because they showed detail?
That's nothing new for Index either. (and cetrtainly not new for the novels) They showed detail for Index when she was in the hot springs in season 1 too, and I believe you could see a bit of her rear end in episode 1 as well. And I definitely remember that you could very clearly see Kaori's curves when Touma and his dad walked in on her.

Quote:
Well Index never strips naked.....she was taking a shower so that's natural nor it is natural at all to have Touma fall on purpose in front of the nuns panties in the LN there is one scene like that too but since it's not animated I guess it's not sexual gratification as much as it was in this episode.
Um, episode 1? Did you somehow mistake me when I said "Index was stripped naked?" We get lots of shots of Index naked throught season 1...
Also, "since it's not animated I guess it's not sexual gratification as much as it was in this episode"? I think your grammar crashed again, because that line contradicts itself. And all the fanservice in this episode is straight out of the novel; all three scenes have their own illustration in volume 7, even.

Quote:
You mentioned the plot point and in some cases fan service in the case of Incest stuff like Kiss x Sis was necessary to have some plot move around like the charm thing I would say.
Huh? What charm thing? And no, I wouldn't call the fanservice in KissxSis anything about plot. Since there really isn't any plot in that show. It's main point is fanservice.

Quote:
Depends on the anime, directors and other elements but there is always a way around the sexual gratification fan service to make it different.
Whether there's another point to it or not, all fanservice is sexual gratification. Whether it's to laugh at or whatever, there's no reason anybody needs to see a girls boobs in anime other than to get sexual gratification. Otherwise, what's the point of fanservice? Like FMP Fumoffu that I pointed out, which had loads of non-fanservice-based humor (and it was extremely good humor at that), you don't need fanservice for humor. It's there to make sexual gratificated comedy, to combine the terms.

Quote:
It's not different in this case..both are comedy just that crawling looked like sexual gratification because the panties of the nun looked to be rubbing on Touma's crotch. Get it?
You're kidding, right? There was no rubbing of panties on crotches or anything that looked like it in any of the scenes. (I even just rewatched those scenes to check and be 100% sure I didn't forget) Whatever you thought you were watching, it was in your head.

Quote:
All I can say is that in City Hunter fan service was never for sexual gratification but comedy yet it was there.
*sigh* When you see naked/semi-naked shots of a girl, how is that not sexual? Again, you can do comedy many different ways without using fanservice. They do it all the time in American TV, and in JP TV and anime as well. They use fanservice in comedy to get in sexual gratification with the comedy.

Quote:
I guess it must be the religion inclusions and believe me it was more raging with Seikon no Qwaser but I like to finish things I watch.
Huh? Seikon no Qwaser? Finish things you watch? What are you talking about?

Quote:
Really? Well I did not see that anime but I am sure it had some action to go along that.
Yes, just as Index has action and plot to go with its fanservice.

Quote:
Well yeah it is so I agree with that already.
So what's new, and what's to complain about? People are acting like the fanservice here is some sacrilege; it's been around for 10 years, and in far greater quantities in other series-es.

Quote:
Now that are better terms to make animes with that can capture the audiences see the problem is all of them have fan service more than anything else...you see even other TV stations censor this anime.
"Fanservice more than anything else?" This episode had three scenes. All at the end. That's hardly anything, especially comparing to some other titles.

Quote:
Oh but you see it was more for DVD and BD sales.....only TV station rating it all is AT-X and now if another TV station like AT-X came then it would be a better competition....there is also the Internet broadcast like ones of Seikon no Qwaser that change things around.
.......you're splitting hairs now, not to mention moving away from/missing my point. I'm not talking about TV ratings. I was just stating something to point out that television entertainment exists to make money. So the companies making the anime will do what gets them money, including fanservice.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That he used specifically after I mentioned then.
Woah, twisting my words much, Francis? When did I ever say that fanservice is not comedic, or even just minorly comedic?
You're the one who's saying the fanservice in this episode is for sexual gratification and not funny. (which is what Keroko is disagreeing with you about, too) My whole point has been that all fanservice is for sexual gratification, and thus the fanservice in this episode is no different from season 1's. Not that fanservice isn't for comedy too. To put it in somebody else's words:
Quote:
And I'm using the term "sexual gratification" because you brought it up, and it sounds best.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2010-10-17 at 16:48.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 16:41   Link #140
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
So if they make a change in all this can they nullify the portals all together somehow? I mean it would be beneficial to most of them since the Amakusa cannot use them anymore.
That would probably require them to find the original map somehow, and I think that might be in Amakusa's hands.

Quote:
>.>
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote