AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-27, 05:33   Link #1
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Mushi to Medama to Teddy Bear (manga)

Just read 1 volume, and this has already turned into one of my favorite manga I've ever read. Lots happen in one volume... Wow...

Anyways, the manga adaption of Mushi to Medama to Teddybear (translated as "Insect and Eyeball and Teddybear")!!

There are four volumes so far and is on-going.

Spoiler for covers:

Let's see, the basic set-up for the story goes something like this (basically, a short summary of chapter 1):

Sakaki Guryuu and Usagawa Rinne are a happy student-and-teacher couple. One day, while hurrying to Rinne's home, he passes by a fortune teller. The fortune teller calls out to him and tells him that Rinne is going to die. The fortune teller explains that Rinne will die painfully, by the hands of a demon holding a spoon. He also gives him an egg, telling him that he should hand the egg to Rinne and that it will protect her when it hatches.
When he gets to her house, he finds her there waiting for him and they enjoy his birthday together. On his way home, a girl passes by holding a spoon. Remembering what the fortune teller says, he tries to block the girl from proceeding further, but gets knocked out by her. When he wakes up, he rushes home... and finds Rinne laying on the ground, stained with blood, and a spoon in one of her sockets, with the other girl, Gankyuu Eguriko, beside her. After shooting Eguriko, he walks over to Rinne's corpse. The moment he tries to kill himself with his gun, Rinne gets up and asks him what's wrong.

--

Main character introduction (no spoilers, so not much information...):

Gankyuu Eguriko (yes, literally translated as Eyeball Gouging Girl) - She has knowledge of the supernatural events that occur. She uses spoons as her weapon and kills them through eyeball gouging. Prefers to be called "Guriko".

Sakaki Guryuu - A very rich guy from a very rich and powerful family, and handsome. Works as a teacher at Rinne's school. Loves Rinne A LOT. Gets depressed when she gets mad at him, to the point he might smack his head on the wall until there is a big blood stain.

Usagawa Rinne - A kind-hearted girl who gets killed in the first chapter, only to shortly resurrect...

--

Genre-wise... All kinds I guess.
Genre: Supernatural, Horror, Comedy, School Life, Romance(?)

--

Now for more spoiler-ish stuff:

Spoiler for character thoughts through vol.1 (including character besides main three):

Spoiler for Terminology/Items so far:

Yeah, I'm hyped up and ready to read the other volumes... Some other day... It's late.

Anyways, I recommend a read of this manga. It's great.

---

Volume 2 thoughts:

Well, another great volume. A certain event at the end was a bit iffy, but the reason for it was acceptable.
Also, on a more pointless note, it seems the manga is going past "Teddy Bear" and is going onto the "Sterilization Disinfection"...
Also, the manga art is definitely superior to the novels'. All of the characters look better here.

Spoiler for plot thoughts:

Spoiler for new character thoughts:

Spoiler for terminology update...:

To the next volume!

---

Volume 3 thoughts:

And so, the story enters the second arc!
Compared to the first two volumes, this arc feels quite a bit more violent...
Turns out this is a manga-only arc.

Spoiler for plot thoughts:

Spoiler for character thoughts:

Time to wait for volume 4 to release...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2008-06-03 at 07:49. Reason: Volume 4 cover
Old 2008-05-24, 23:09   Link #2
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Volume 4 is out

Spoiler for Cover:
Old 2008-06-03, 07:48   Link #3
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Hmm, the manga really is a lot lighter than the novel (heck, a lot of the volume is comedy). But that is also a good thing. A change from the gloomy atmosphere and have time to enjoy the characters.
The art felt a bit strange in a few places, but I'll ignore that... Besides, artwork makes the whole series very enjoyable, like Guriko's evil facial expressions or the chibi-artwork.
And I still wonder how the manga-ka plans to connect the manga-original events with the novel events... For one thing, I guess the story has to change a bit, since characters that don't show up later show up now and the interactions are slightly different.
This volume ended an original arc, but it seems the next volume has yet another original arc?

Spoiler for volume 4 thoughts:

Too bad no group is translating this manga. Meh... Maybe in the future, some good group will do so.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-07-27, 08:41   Link #4
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Too bad no group is translating this manga. Meh... Maybe in the future, some good group will do so.
SCX released the first chapter
It can be found here.

I don't have the raws with me now so I can't say if the translation is good
Old 2008-07-27, 10:37   Link #5
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I'm regretting....
I'm regretting to read this manga when only one chapter was translated. Now I'm dying to see what is going to happen next. -_-'
Old 2008-07-30, 16:16   Link #6
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
If anyone wanna give me the script translation I can be editor since I phail at translating things due to my poor English. Well I am in mid way through volume 4 and damn this is amazing.

Last edited by Izayoi; 2008-07-30 at 16:26.
Old 2008-11-08, 05:41   Link #7
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I've read the first 3 chapters of this, and I'm really liking it so far. Guriko is pretty badass, I loved her introduction to the class room. Her fighting ability is impressive as well, killing with spoons, she somehow reminds me of Mikoto Misaka(prob cuz i just finished a chapter of TKnR). I'm just disappointed that Sakaki hasn't had much of a role after the first chapter(well, I've only read 3 chaps, but I'm guessing he's not that much of a main character). He was pretty good in the first chapter though, so I hope despite his lack of strength, he'll be able to do a little something to protect Rinne.

I dont' have much of an impression of Rinne. She's an ok char, but other than being a victim, she hasn't done anything to have her stand out. I will say that having her be all super cute and moe and stuff, then her having to go through getting killed does make me feel sorry for her.

I'm kinda dumbfounded as to why the fortune teller would give Sakaki an egg that would help Rinne(assuming based on what Guriko said, it probably would) when he could have been launched an assault on her and took her away.

Also is the reference made here...
Spoiler for chap 3 pg:

refering to Rabuyan? I'm just curioius, as she's the only angel of love(if you can really call her that >.>) I know that sleeps in the closet.

Also this and the first villian in TKnR, I see that the power of spoons is not to be feared.

Last edited by frubam; 2008-11-08 at 08:04.
Old 2010-04-06, 17:43   Link #8
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
So the random new chapter appeared, and I decided to read it all over again. I retract my above statement that its like Railgun, but I will say that Guriko reminds me of that girl in Heikkon no AION(or however its spelled), except aLOT more likable. Well the plot itself is similar as well now that I think about it. Then again, I've only read 8 chapters of that one, so maybe i should read it further before making that comparison. But then again, I loved Guriko's personality from the start

Anyway, I somehow actually disliked Guryuu getting an apple. I was kinda shocked when he died, even though I knew it could have happened at any time, but, now, knowing he cant die[easily] somehow takes a bit of suspense out of things. I hope we see that Mabidara? guy again...I think Guriko could use an occasional love interest(other than Rinne of course), simply because how she would nonchalantly handle it (like the Nagatos and the Hitagis).
Closed Thread

Tags
horror, seinen