AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-09-20, 10:33   Link #1
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
What do you think about teacher student pairings?

Teacher student romance, once a taboo subject, is fairly becoming a popular trend in anime, manga, visual novels, light novels and Eroge games. I didn't become interested in this subject until I saw I My Me Strawberry Eggs)

What do you think about teacher student pairings, if you watched any of the following or others:
Amawa Hibiki-sensei and Kuzuha Fuuko-chan' (I My Me Strawberry Eggs)
Asami Onohara and her physics teacher (Oku-sama wa Joshi Kousei)
Zetsubou-sensei and all of his female students (Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei)
Terada-sensei & Rika-chan (Card Captor Sakura)
Kinomoto Sakura's parents (Card Captor Sakura)
Kokonoe Rin and Aoki-sensei (Kodomo no Jikan)
Onegai Teacher

The student is usually inexperienced and seeks guidance from an older person like a teacher to teach them about love.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 21:43   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think it depends on the context. It certainly is a common part of older literature throughout history and of Western culture as well. Therefore, I'd be rather annoyed at someone applying 21st century taboos to, say, a 14th c. setting.

In a modern context, I think about the only "safe" setting might be college or the workplace - where both people are full adults. Or perhaps an apocalyptic setting where the younger person may be the only choice left.
"Safe" in the notion of keeping witchburners away... to *me* its a story being told, a work of fiction. Not all fiction is about proper behavior or good situations.
Old 2012-09-20, 21:50   Link #3
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

I think interest in that type of pairing in anime has already peaked in years past, so I really can't agree that it is becoming a fairly popular trend. Maybe it was a popular trend back then, but for these days I don't think so.

The examples you cited were all from not-so recent years, and I can't remember any fairly recent examples in anime that involve student-teacher relationships for the main characters.

Now big brother-little sister pairings, on the other hand...
Old 2012-09-20, 22:24   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelok View Post
Amawa Hibiki-sensei and Kuzuha Fuuko-chan' (I My Me Strawberry Eggs)
Asami Onohara and her physics teacher (Oku-sama wa Joshi Kousei)
Zetsubou-sensei and all of his female students (Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei)
Terada-sensei & Rika-chan (Card Captor Sakura)
Kinomoto Sakura's parents (Card Captor Sakura)
Kokonoe Rin and Aoki-sensei (Kodomo no Jikan)
Onegai Teacher
I noticed you're an old schooler and all, but darling, the rest of us don't think these are very new. It's already 2012 and supposedly we're all about die here.

In any case, the vast majority of teacher-and-student relationship literature in Japanese subculture that is accessible to the West are not in male-oriented otaku works, where it has never really featured and most certainly isn't becoming so any time soon, but rather in shoujo manga. Shoujo manga itself wasn't always about the school setting, but as soon as that became the norm, the theme went from strength to strength. Most of them, naturally, are about an older and handsome male teacher and the young female student.

I...find this older male teacher-younger student relationship theme to be an immediate turnoff. It's my anti-moe, my anti-drug. Just about the only work I like with this kind of relationship is the manga Faster than a Kiss, and I liked it so very grudgingly.

Admittedly, my firm and moral objection to this theme, this truly objectionable theme that offends all proper human responsibilities, is considerably less stringent when it comes to a relationship with a beautiful female teacher. I hope I don't have to justify why.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 22:37   Link #5
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

In a modern context, I think about the only "safe" setting might be college or the workplace - where both people are full adults.
I agree.... College setting is more realistic and less scandalous... especially in real life...

And also its the school setting that makes such pairing kinda.... shaky..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 23:20   Link #6
stormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post

Now big brother-little sister pairings, on the other hand...
^
Oh no. Not this.

Back to the topic, I guess teacher student pairings are acceptable to some if it's the age thing and others simply just don't like it. There is the sense that the relationship is not as good so maybe it really isn't popular now. Maybe because the teachers think more mature than the students and that students can hardly relate to the teachers. I don't know.

But recent stories involving teachers and students involve more on the physical contact to the point of getting into inappropriate relationships so maybe they try to stray away from that. Of course some people believe about picking someone in your own age group is much better so there.
stormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 23:39   Link #7
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Uh, what. I don't really think about it to be honest. A pairing is a pairing. That said, I do prefer "out of the ordinary" couples to face some measure of "realistic" consequences though I don't hold it against a duo for being more straightforward. Just goes on a case-by-case basis really.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 01:19   Link #8
Metaler

I don't mind it. Or rather, I'd say it doesn't bother me at all.
Metaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 02:24   Link #9
Kyuu
=^^=

How about student-teacher relationships?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 02:27   Link #10
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
It's just the same!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 03:30   Link #11
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

The only one I particularly like off hand is Matsumoto Rise and Nishigaki Nana from yuru yuri, though Nishigaki claims they're "Explosive Friends" despite Rise's fondness of her, maybe that's how they hide it til Rise moves up since she is a 3rd year student, though they aren't major characters. But Rise actually has more power in it, since she is the student council president and all .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 06:02   Link #12
Chandela
Straight Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
In a modern context, I think about the only "safe" setting might be college or the workplace - where both people are full adults.
I agree with this. It is definitely more realistic in a college setting.
In my old high school district a few teachers were fired from their jobs because they started to have relationships with some of the students. One of them actually got a student pregnant, which is straight up creepy in my opinion... seeing as how she was a minor...
Another teacher was known for always "flirting" with the female students so when he got fired for taking it a step further nobody was really surprised. Although this one was quite humorous because the students quickly dubbed him "Skeebo", for a reason that still confuses me today. I remember people running down the halls as fast as they could for the next two weeks yelling "SKEEEEEBOOO" at the top of their lungs.

So realistically I don't think that a Teacher x Student pairing could work in a high school setting. However as stated above it might actually work out if both people we adults in a college or workplace setting.

Anime however is completely different and many rules do not apply within it. I don't really mind it myself but I can't say that I am the biggest fan in the world. It depends on the characters really.

Last edited by Chandela; 2012-09-21 at 09:13.
Chandela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 07:55   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Hm...I guest I'll just throw my opinion here.

I’d say student-teacher-ship is not that taboo or earth-shattering nowadays. People actually have more concern with the age of the one from the pair (assuming their relationship is openly known). If the age of the student is, say, less than 15, the teacher might be accused of “deceiving or manipulating” the student somehow and might get jailed for crime towards children.

I don’t know about others, but I feel that the relationship between Female Teacher x Male Student is harder to happen than the relationship between Male Teacher x Female Student.

From the literature (or anime & manga) POV, I’d say it’s pretty hard to come up with a realistic story depicting romance between a normal Female teacher & a normal male students. One of the reason is, women tend to be more mature even among men of their age (that’s why there’s a lot of couples with the male being older). So, from that way of thinking, I see almost no reason at all for a female teacher being charmed or even imagining of having a romantic feelings towards her immature, inexperienced, and (for many) childish male students. I’d say for those female teachers, most of the male students (we’re talking highscool here) are “lame” in more ways than one.

Of course my hypothesis above can be countered with some factors such as:
  • The male student is very rich (a heir to a big company or owns it). Thus, it’s possible for the female teacher to “aim” for him (or his money ) first and then figuring out other good traits that the boy possesses (or lack thereof).
  • The female teacher is a shotakon or has a really strong “motherly” personality that allow her to be attracted to the (much) younger male students.
  • There’s a past story or an already established relationship between the female teacher and the male student that can support romance.
  • The male student is unusually mature, handsome & charming enough to be able to sway the female teacher.
  • The female teacher just love to tease young boys, or even worst, a sex-fiend that hungry for “young stamina” .
Old 2012-09-21, 08:15   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In real life, they are abusive. Teachers who engage in sexual relations with their students, even if they are not minors, are exploiting their position of power. If the students are minors, that only exacerbates the problem.

When I taught university, I would never have considered having a relationship with one of my students, even graduate students, despite them all being adults. I had a colleague who began a relationship with, and eventually married, a grad student, but only after she had completed her course work. She was also in a different subfield from him, and he was not involved in her dissertation research.

I was surprised and taken aback when I watched the first episode of Hanamaru Kindergarten where the mother of one of the kids was the protagonist's high-school senpai. In a flashback we discover that she had become pregnant by a teacher, then married him and left school before graduating. I thought the whole story was treated much too nonchalantly.

About a decade ago we had the egregious example of Pamela Smart who seduced a fifteen-year-old student then convinced him to kill her husband. Smart used the threat of cutting off their illicit relationship to blackmail the boy into the murder. Smart is now serving a life sentence for conspiracy to commit murder and several other charges. A novel based loosely on these events, To Die For, was adapted into an excellent film by Buck Henry, though Nicole Kidman's character was not portrayed as a teacher but as an ambitious local television personality.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-21 at 08:30.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 08:30   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In the US, female teachers falling in love with a high school student has happened more often than I would have thought. I can think of at least five cases in the last few years where the relationship was prosecuted (one couple even got married after he came of age). But yeah, it would take some excellent writing skills to make that believable to a reader.

Some of the posts have noted that the "fad" is an old one, already passed. I hadn't considered that but mostly because I tend to view things in a 5-10 year window. But the posters are correct, though it never vanishes completely, the "master-student" romance does seem to be on the wane in favor of olderbrother-youngersister stories. That could be considered a variant on "master-student" I guess with a dollop of "forbidden tensions". Personally, I find that much less believable than teacher-student. Most brothers who actually have sisters can barely believe their friends would find them attractive
Old 2012-09-21, 09:13   Link #16
stormtrooper

I guess it's possible but it's gonna be hard to prolong that kind of relationship. The teacher and the student should build their relationship much more carefully.
stormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 11:15   Link #17
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Aoki x Rin is justice.

Ummm. I don't really mind canon and semi-canon teacher x student relationships, but shipping a teacher and student when there is no suggestion that that could ever happen in the source material strikes me as weird and awkward since it doesn't really fit well in universe.

As for irl. Most student teacher relationships are abusive. But why does this matter when talking about student teacher relationships in anime and manga? Fantasy is fantasy. The unrealisticness of teacher x student is no worse than the unrealisticness of super powers and magic.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 12:32   Link #18
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

I think it's cute as long as the teacher is a girl.
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 21:30   Link #19
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Its creepy no mater how old the student or the teacher is or what gender they are
Old 2012-09-22, 05:48   Link #20
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I thought Van Halen already established this theme to be hot as the fires in hell back in the 80s.