AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-09-06, 08:22   Link #141
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

awww I think main characters should die.

the most overused cliche of all is the fact that the main character has a happy ending...this of corse is not always true and I love it when the main character dies in the end, but it is the usual method. I mean its eather happy or some times death. why not just a really crummy office job for eternity with no health care benefits to end the anime (^^)
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 08:41   Link #142
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
awww I think main characters should die.

the most overused cliche of all is the fact that the main character has a happy ending...this of corse is not always true and I love it when the main character dies in the end, but it is the usual method. I mean its eather happy or some times death. why not just a really crummy office job for eternity with no health care benefits to end the anime (^^)
Nah anime's has serious problem of crappy endings. I like happy endings, but most of the time they are just done bad. The few anime's with good endings are the one with a sad ending, which I dislike. It's a vicious circle. D:

If you guys want something non cliché read Yotsubato!(when is this getting animated dammit). D:

My real problem with anime(especially manga) is that there is always someone who was raped or is about to get raped. Or at least someone attempts rape. It's a bad plot device and it doesn't do any series any good.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 08:46   Link #143
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Nah anime's has serious problem of crappy endings. I like happy endings, but most of the time they are just done bad. The few anime's with good endings are the one with a sad ending, which I dislike. It's a vicious circle. D:

If you guys want something non cliché read Yotsubato!(when is this getting animated dammit). D:

My real problem with anime(especially manga) is that there is always someone who was raped or is about to get raped. Or at least someone attempts rape. It's a bad plot device and it doesn't do any series any good.
you are right that they are geting better sad endings.

and you are also right now that I think about it they do like to use the concept of rape a bit more than I like
Old 2007-09-09, 00:07   Link #144
Bonjour
Rosa Gigantea

And about the incest stuff I posted before, sorry, didn't know
My friend just explained how terrible it is and something bad happens to your children, etc.

Anyway:
In some high school romances..

A new student, who is a total nobody, suddenly likes the most popular kid in school. The most popular kid in school is elegant, good at sports, smart, beautiful/handsome, has many admirers, comes from a rich family (so this must be everyone's ideal mr./ms. perfect, eh?)

Then, suddenly, the popular kid likes this n00b (wow, what a spoiler..) then there are those people that despise that new kid (wow, never saw that coming)

This is an overused clique right? -___-
Not sure if anyone used it...
Bonjour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-09, 00:10   Link #145
Bonjour
Rosa Gigantea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
But then again, which anime is truly realistic?
I find Maria-sama realistic
Bonjour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-09, 02:07   Link #146
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I find that an annoying cliche is the use of love or trust as deus ex machina.

I mean yeah, if it's used once in an anime, it's acceptable. Someone's love for someone activates some hidden power or if you believe in someone you will invoke some special attacks. When it's used as a recurring method of winning fights, etc..., it becomes somewhat boring and stupid.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-09, 12:06   Link #147
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post

I mean yeah, if it's used once in an anime, it's acceptable. Someone's love for someone activates some hidden power or if you believe in someone you will invoke some special attacks. When it's used as a recurring method of winning fights, etc..., it becomes somewhat boring and stupid.
But love concurs all! oh wait, or was that death.....
Old 2007-09-09, 12:13   Link #148
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

That is why i love the Nanoha series so much.

Mahou Shoujo making friends with superior firepower

The phrase "love and peace" never came up in all seasons.
Old 2007-09-09, 13:35   Link #149
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
That is why i love the Nanoha series so much.

Mahou Shoujo making friends with superior firepower

The phrase "love and peace" never came up in all seasons.
Bah, friendship is nothing compare to power of courage (talking about Gaogaigar obviously). Now this is kind of cliche, what is with these horrible spelling for English. For example Cybuster is spelled Cybaster and in Cyber Formula they spell Crash, Crush. I would have thought this was some kind of mistake at first, but after seeing so many time I think they are doing this on purpose.
Old 2007-10-13, 05:41   Link #150
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Hm, after watching Minami-ke, I'm now sure that 80% of Japanese teenagers (in anime) are orphans and are living by themselves, with an older sibling, or their parents are just never mentioned.
Old 2007-10-13, 08:07   Link #151
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Earths Greatest Weapons will be weilded by our children

Yes that Chiche goes to a certain kid captain in Bleach

its also chiche when a chick skinny as hell wielding a weapon that she prob couldn't even lift.. let alone fight.
Old 2007-10-13, 10:17   Link #152
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Hm, after watching Minami-ke, I'm now sure that 80% of Japanese teenagers (in anime) are orphans and are living by themselves, with an older sibling, or their parents are just never mentioned.
ROFL I HATE that cliche....
Old 2007-10-13, 13:34   Link #153
hideFan

I hate the "I wanna be the best -insert title here- in the world and Im gunna spend 200 filler episodes doing it!" anime cliche. Its quite unbearable.
hideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 13:36   Link #154
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Earths Greatest Weapons will be weilded by our children

Yes that Chiche goes to a certain kid captain in Bleach

its also chiche when a chick skinny as hell wielding a weapon that she prob couldn't even lift.. let alone fight.
I don't mind that cliche as much because that gives the room for romance to develop, because I don't know about you guys but straight action/military anime is quite boring. However, anime such as SaiKano that features mostly adults involved with one special teenager to me is a really good way to make things non-cliche, and I love it. It's one of those cliche that you know is there but without it anime would never be the same. Other ones are just annoying and unnecessary to the point that you wish it would be left out from any other anime you'll watch.
Old 2007-10-13, 13:42   Link #155
Ultenth

Quote:
Add this to your list:

If two characters like each other, then there's a 50% chance they're both childhood friends.

I'm sorry but it is getting too cliche that it's annoying.
Agree 100%, seems every romance, especially if its a harem style based off a eroge, has this cliche. Getting really old really fast.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 14:53   Link #156
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
I don't mind that cliche as much because that gives the room for romance to develop, because I don't know about you guys but straight action/military anime is quite boring. However, anime such as SaiKano that features mostly adults involved with one special teenager to me is a really good way to make things non-cliche, and I love it. It's one of those cliche that you know is there but without it anime would never be the same. Other ones are just annoying and unnecessary to the point that you wish it would be left out from any other anime you'll watch.
Special teenager? I'm talking about a character who looks like they couldnt even bench press 70 pounds let alone a sword just as big as them...
Old 2007-10-13, 16:09   Link #157
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

how about this, a certain looser emo kid who had never even touched a big mechanical robot before can pilot it in god mode, go berserk in it, then re-write the whole os, just in a day's work
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 16:52   Link #158
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Special teenager? I'm talking about a character who looks like they couldnt even bench press 70 pounds let alone a sword just as big as them...
A human-sized sword would weight a lot less than 70 pounds. Swords aren't nearly as heavy as you might think they are. To give you an example - a zweihander (two handed sword) with the length of 180cm weights only about 2 - 3 Kg.

As for cliches - The good, old setup of two childhood friends reuniting after a few years of separation. You can bet there is a promise of some sort, and the guy has forgotten about it
Old 2007-10-13, 19:09   Link #159
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
A human-sized sword would weight a lot less than 70 pounds. Swords aren't nearly as heavy as you might think they are. To give you an example - a zweihander (two handed sword) with the length of 180cm weights only about 2 - 3 Kg.
Thanks god, someone is here to correct that old misconception about european swords.

I'll add that those swords are not dull and can be as sharp as a katana; famous european swordsmiths like those in Toledo (Spain) would not feel shame from being compared to the likes of Goro Masamune.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 19:19   Link #160
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Thanks god, someone is here to correct that old misconception about european swords.

I'll add that those swords are not dull and can be as sharp as a katana; famous european swordsmiths like those in Toledo (Spain) would not feel shame from being compared to the likes of Goro Masamune.
I heard that in reality European sword are stronger then Japanese sword. I think the reason was that Europe had more iron or something like that and resulting them to have stronger sword then katana.