Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-08, 11:14   Link #241
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
lol where's the /s? if that's what you think the "real america" is then you've seen way too much propaganda.
Well, that's what my old RO friend who lives in the States had said and I'll take his words.

2nd episode is still pretty much a comic book exposition and pacing is a bit slow for me. It's refreshing to see a female lead who aggressively hunts her prey though without coming off as a s**t.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 11:40   Link #242
tsunade666

unexpectedly great. When I see the picture for the preview. I said the robot looks lame... pretty lame for my taste but when I saw the studio doing it. I gave it a chance and I like it. Every character is great but the heroman is really lame in design.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 11:58   Link #243
Ashaman

Don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't help but think 'Its Rape Time' when i saw Lina smile at about 14:07-14:10. Anyone else?

Overall, good episode. I really like the animation, and the realitively subtle 'Hero' music.

Joey still looks like a girl tho

That brother, (can't remember his name), seems a little too protective of his sister. There has to be a story there, even if its he just really hates Joey.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 12:02   Link #244
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
2nd episode is still pretty much a comic book exposition and pacing is a bit slow for me. It's refreshing to see a female lead who aggressively hunts her prey though without coming off as a s**t.
Totally agree with your point. She seems like a strong character and even though she is rich she doesn't seem selfish or stuck up in anyway.

Dunno about her bro, I guess next episode will show if he is an arse or just misunderstood (by me)...
Old 2010-04-08, 12:52   Link #245
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't help but think 'Its Rape Time' when i saw Lina smile at about 14:07-14:10. Anyone else?

That brother, (can't remember his name), seems a little too protective of his sister. There has to be a story there, even if its he just really hates Joey.
On what episode is that part episode 1 or two

You too this is the second time

when I first watch it I find hard to believe his a guy. I don't know if its thanks to hideyoshi that I've been finding it hard to tell the difference now. But he really looks like a girl and could pass as a trap.

The big bro is just your typicall antagonist that's really irritating but the same time typically common. And when theirs a hero that type never cease to exist.
And the end point big bro = annoying
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 12:56   Link #246
Ashaman

second ep.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 13:49   Link #247
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ep2. Oh, good, finally a show I can drop. Not that this was bad at all. The nice animation and stylized plot were all as before. But it was all too stylized for me, just a high-class Saturday morning cartoon.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 14:19   Link #248
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Which isn't a bad thing. <3
Old 2010-04-08, 14:30   Link #249
Nosauz

It's just so unAmerican, yet it tries so hard. Like if some dude came into a board shop, the sales man/employee would never say "welcome/itarashaii" it's just not american. Anyway decent episode but overall the show is just really really cheesy, but hey at least the ed is pretty good.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 14:41   Link #250
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
My thoughts for episode 2:

Spoiler for Episode 2:

About Joey looks like a girl, I think he's just androgynous, unlike Hideyoshi whom I can't believe is really male. I can accept them saying that he's male, but if the show decided that Joey's a female I can believe it just as easily too. I think it's mostly his hair and voice that gives a stronger impression that he's a girl.

In the end, I fully agree with Kaoru Chujo, this is mainly a high-class Saturday Morning Cartoon. Still, despite all its cliches, I think my nostalgia goggles makes me enjoy it nonetheless. I just hope there will be more action though (and judging from the preview, it probably will), as the characters aren't that interesting to carry the mundane daily life part like in the first half of this episode, which is just so slow and boring.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 17:20   Link #251
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Searching Heroman on Pixiv amused me.

Spoiler for Episode 2:

Tell me when they reveal that Joey is a girl
Old 2010-04-08, 17:30   Link #252
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

As I thought, it isn't interesting watching Joey press a button.

Quote:
Like if some dude came into a board shop, the sales man/employee would never say "welcome/itarashaii" it's just not american.
I don't know. Depending on how large the town/store is, it'd be perfectly normal. It didn't seem like a large store as well.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 17:49   Link #253
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:

Overall, good episode. I really like the animation, and the realitively subtle 'Hero' music.

I have to agree that Lina's expression kind of said that. Realizes Joey is alone so it's time to make her attack .

Well at least Joey made a nice catch in this episode. Since button pressing really isn't that cool no matter how dramatic you try and make it.

Of course Will really is a piece of work. Not glad his sister is alright, just growling in the bushes at Joey. Starting to think it's less about being overprotective than just not wanting his sister involved with someone he sees as beneath him. Seems more about his ego than family concerns.
Old 2010-04-08, 21:05   Link #254
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

Very good second episode.I'm starting to like this series a lot.

After watching the ep. I started to wonder if Lina's brother Will, could become a future nemesis of Joey.He reminds me a lot of Eddie Brock from Spiderman.In the future he could obtain some kind of power and play an enemy role, just like Venom is to Spiderman.
Old 2010-04-08, 21:22   Link #255
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
I would expect him to start off by stealing heroman.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 22:02   Link #256
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
lol where's the /s? if that's what you think the "real america" is then you've seen way too much propaganda.
Depends on what part of the country and what social class you are in.

Southern California is actually pretty patriotic, at least in some areas. Particularly areas that are both poor and white. The Mexican immigrant areas are more likely to fly a Mexican flag... or both. Lots of immigrants like to fly both flags. They missed that bit. To really make it Southern Cal they needed at least one Mexican flag mixed in with all the American ones.

Heck, I grew up in liberal Seattle land, and we had an American flag in every classroom, and said the pledge everyday. Plus every school had their own flagpole with an American flag.

The office building I work at has a flagpole flying a giant American flag. And we aren't the only office build sporting an American flag. The others might have taller poles, but our flag is bigger... Not sure why that is important, but it seems like it might be.

When I was in Oklahoma I'd guess about one in 20 individual homes had flagpoles and flew American flags, and another additional 1 in 10 had a flag in their window.

.... I never really thought of it before, it's just normal to me, but we really do like flags in America.

About one in four banks will have a flag out somewhere... And of course you can't forget the used car lots. They always have an American flag. Jeez... I'm suddenly realizing I probably pass 20+ American flags just on my commute to work.

And that doesn't even begin to describe what happens on the 4th. Whew, if you think the number of flags in Heroman is a lot, multiply it by about 1000 and you'll get what America looks like on the 4th.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 22:10   Link #257
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Depends on what part of the country and what social class you are in.

Southern California is actually pretty patriotic, at least in some areas. Particularly areas that are both poor and white. The Mexican immigrant areas are more likely to fly a Mexican flag... or both. Lots of immigrants like to fly both flags. They missed that bit. To really make it Southern Cal they needed at least one Mexican flag mixed in with all the American ones.

Heck, I grew up in liberal Seattle land, and we had an American flag in every classroom, and said the pledge everyday. Plus every school had their own flagpole with an American flag.

The office building I work at has a flagpole flying a giant American flag. And we aren't the only office build sporting an American flag. The others might have taller poles, but our flag is bigger... Not sure why that is important, but it seems like it might be.

When I was in Oklahoma I'd guess about one in 20 individual homes had flagpoles and flew American flags, and another additional 1 in 10 had a flag in their window.

.... I never really thought of it before, it's just normal to me, but we really do like flags in America.

About one in four banks will have a flag out somewhere... And of course you can't forget the used car lots. They always have an American flag. Jeez... I'm suddenly realizing I probably pass 20+ American flags just on my commute to work.

And that doesn't even begin to describe what happens on the 4th. Whew, if you think the number of flags in Heroman is a lot, multiply it by about 50 and you'll get what America looks like on the 4th.
I guess I've lived in very liberal areas, like currently I'm in RTP area with a pretty wealth group of people, generally there aren't american flags flying from every house, probably because it's considered tacky. I understand flagpoles at schools, but what's lacking is the city flag, and the state falg which are also flown. Even in Miami, there are very few flags, and thats even in the bad parts of the city. I mean I've lived here for the most part all of my preteen life in America and I just haven't seen many flags. Hell I remember that Canadians generally have more flags or that could have been just Canada day. I'm not kidding, in North Carolina, especially in the RTP area, you just don't see that many flags, probably if drive out hendersonville, or asheville, or maybe the coastal towns you'll see more but in the plateau you just don't see em, even though we have Fort Lauderdale.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 22:12   Link #258
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Haha...

I can't stop laughing at the scene when the professor finds out the aliens are evil.

He run and grabs a broom to brandish at them... and when it gets vaporized by laser beams does he panic? No, instead he whips out his ruler, and precedes to threaten the aliens with that!

He may be an idiot, and completely useless, but that earned him some awesome points

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-04-08, 22:16   Link #259
Jarmel

Ok I noticed a few things. Around 18:50, it looks like he had a burst of super speed. He then states that the power is inside him too. This might imply that Joey isn't going to be just a spectator. It also seems he can do telepathic orders to Heroman such as the Stop command early on as well as cancelling the bubble. Heroman also obviously has electrical powers as well so I'm guessing we're not even saying half of what both Joey and Heroman can do. This might help calm some concerns that all Joey will be doing is pushing buttons.

Pure speculation-I'm guessing that telepathy(or the arm device being a communication method) will be how Heroman and Joey get to know each other and communicate. Heroman's long range ability will probably be an electrical blast(as well as elemental punches). Joey himself might have a couple of superhuman abilities including but not limited to short blasts of super speed.

I might be reading too much into this but the alien analysis of Earth kinda implied other alien civilizations which I wonder might become a factor later down the road.

I like how Psy rolled with it with Joey's explanation, I would be thinking Joey was insane(although Psy didn't fully believe Joey either).

P.S. I still hate the OP viciously.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 22:43   Link #260
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
As I thought, it isn't interesting watching Joey press a button.

I don't know. Depending on how large the town/store is, it'd be perfectly normal. It didn't seem like a large store as well.
The whole thing screams "toy marketing". Which oddly enough actually pumps up the nostalgia factor for me. I'm just waiting for the little Heroman robot to come out. Not going to buy it of course, but gee... I wish I had a little kid to watch this with... Maybe I can borrow my nephew when the dub comes out.

I agree that "Welcome!" isn't that uncommon from a friendly storekeeper.

Other things that just really stuck out: Joey's grandma makes him cut the grass with scissors?! What?!

I mean... sure, when you're poor you probably have an old push mower... and I remember when we had an actual push mower without an engine, just a set of blades that whirled as you pushed it. I was expecting something like that to pump up the "Joey is poor" theme.

But grass trimming scissors?!?

I mean yeah... you have some to trim the grass when you can't afford an edger (so indeed we did have grass trimming scissors), but only once was I ever forced to actually cut the entire lawn with grass scissors... and that was as a punishment detail. (I left the lawn mower out and it got rained on and ruined- hence the later replacement with an old rusty hand-powered push mower).

It was very effective punishment. I never left the lawn mower out in the rain again.

My brother did though (after I had left for college), and once again the grass scissors made an appearance.

And then there was the scene with the crowd of multi-cultural kids listening to the radio, which was held by a girl in pigtails, daisy dukes, and a stripperiffic top- and a nice girl smile...

Part of me is wonder if the depiction of America is really that inaccurate... or if maybe we have just been blind to what is around us.

Quote:
I guess I've lived in very liberal areas, like currently I'm in RTP area with a pretty wealth group of people, generally there aren't american flags flying from every house, probably because it's considered tacky. I understand flagpoles at schools, but what's lacking is the city flag, and the state falg which are also flown. Even in Miami, there are very few flags, and thats even in the bad parts of the city. I mean I've lived here for the most part all of my preteen life in America and I just haven't seen many flags. Hell I remember that Canadians generally have more flags or that could have been just Canada day. I'm not kidding, in North Carolina, especially in the RTP area, you just don't see that many flags, probably if drive out hendersonville, or asheville, or maybe the coastal towns you'll see more but in the plateau you just don't see em, even though we have Fort Lauderdale.
Well, the fact that I drive past both banking row (about 10 different banks), and used car lot row (about 10 car lots), probably increases my count quite a bit. That's about 12 to 14 flags right there. Add in the 3 at the my office building and surrounding buildings, plus at least 3 to 4 on the billboards as I'm driving down the freeway, and I'm already at around 20 flags.

Are you sure there aren't some flags around that you just never noticed, simply because it's always there and so it's just part of the background? Like the flags I've just recounted above. Until I thought about it I never really noticed more than maybe 3 or 4 flags. The one at my office building and the ones next to it, and that one big billboard for the new home development area that has a big flag behind the pretty houses they want to sell you.

Tags
bones, mecha