AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-06-12, 20:09   Link #301
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
If it uses ground beef, it's actually cottage pie. Shepherd's pie is made with ground lamb, hence the name. I am wondering why there is corn in your cottage pie, though... usually the vegetables used are grated carrot, onion and celery.
Old 2012-06-12, 21:05   Link #303
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
If it uses ground beef, it's actually cottage pie. Shepherd's pie is made with ground lamb, hence the name. I am wondering why there is corn in your cottage pie, though... usually the vegetables used are grated carrot, onion and celery.
I guess your definitions are correct, but I have seen other people call cottage pie shepard's pie. At the supermarket, I found some shepard's pie from a company that has ground beef, corn, and carrots. At an independently owned food market where they make some foods to take home from scratch, I've bought and eaten their shepard's pie and it was ground beef, corn, and onion. Also, I just looked up shepard's pie at a big recipe site and a lot of people put up recipes for shepard's pie with things like corn in it or peas and carrots. Also, in New England, from what I've had from family members, from school lunches, and at a couple of friends houses back in the days I was in school, I was served cottage pie but it was called shepard's pie.

So what shepard's pie is traditionally is what you said, but I guess...an awful lot of people got it wrong. I've also never had or heard of this dish with shredded carrot, onion, and celery. I've also had this dish with peas and onion instead of corn. Up where I'm from, cottage pie is called shepard's pie and usually has corn or peas. I guess it is like when some people throw some meat on a gas or charcoal grill and cook it up and say "Oh boy, we are going to have a back yard barbeque", but it isn't barbequed food at all. It is grilled food.
Old 2012-06-12, 21:35   Link #304
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Yup, "backyard barbecue" isn't barbecue at all. Southerners will correct people who say this. I am a Southerner, so I will correct people who say this.

Words have meaning for a reason. It's like if you make spaghetti alla carbonara and use bacon instead of guanciale and add cream to it, it's not spaghetti alla carbonara anymore, because you changed the recipe to something else. It's a derivative of carbonara, yes, but it's not "the" recipe.
Old 2012-06-12, 22:08   Link #305
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Yup, "backyard barbecue" isn't barbecue at all. Southerners will correct people who say this. I am a Southerner, so I will correct people who say this.
Yeah, I saw some people on TV talking about barbeque food, and that is when I first heard that point being made about how backyard barbeque isn't really barbeque cooking. I think some guy from Texas pointed that out.

I'd like to have shepard's pie, the official version of it with lamb. Is it supposed to be with carrot, onion, and celery?

I'd like to eat more lamb. Last time I checked the price of it at the super market it was pretty expensive. I like it with mint jelly. I wish lamb was cheaper, I'd probably eat it kind of often. I hear that on St. Patty's Day in Ireland, a lot of households make a soup or stew (I forgot which) with chunks of lamb meat, potatoes, and onion. Sounds good to me.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:05   Link #306
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Some good looking food there. You have dishes there that would be on the menu of a more upscale restaurant and most of it comes off as chic. The plating of the food is even in a well presented manner. Pretty good there for an at home chef.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:24   Link #307
cassidyfenty22

I don't really cook that well. Mostly only frying especially breakfast meals like hotdogs, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancake. Stuffs like that. And also pasta.
Old 2012-06-13, 13:01   Link #308
hero147

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I had some time off today so I went ahead and made chee cheong fun, a type of Chinese noodle. Been getting an earful from mum cause it seems to her that I am slowly forgetting my roots (been cooking anything but Chinese lately)

That looks so good.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 13:06   Link #309
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
That looks so good.
Thanks Have you by any chance tried this before?
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 19:12   Link #310
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
Are you kidding me!? "Not great"??? That's greater than I can ever have while at college etc. That sir...is pure gold

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 19:14   Link #311
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Spoiler for Just my previous post:

New additions

Spoiler for 2nd box:

Spoiler for 3rd box:

Just simple lunch boxes.... I'm thinking what I'm gonna prepare today... I'll post it after 7 hours...

Spoiler for Just did the 4th one:

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-06-15 at 13:39.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 13:17   Link #312
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Had butter that was about to expire and some caster sugar left, so I made marble cake. I initially wanted to make the standard marble cake, as in the basic chocolate and vanilla flavour/colour but I figured I might as well add some colours to give it a psychedelic finish. The colours did not turn out as well I had expected it to be. It should have been brighter. Might be because I added only 1 tbps of colouring as opposed to the recommended 2 tbps.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 15:10   Link #313
antediluvian
Before the Deluge

Some of this stuff, do you read the A Song of Ice and Fire cook book blog?
antediluvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 22:36   Link #314
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Beef Stew I made a few days ago. I took Italian bread with butter on it and dunked it in the stew.

Steak I had a couple of days ago. Cooked on a grill and seasoned with salt, pepper, and onion salt. And as you can see, there was some corn on the cob.

Old 2012-06-20, 22:55   Link #315
NoemiChan
Banned

It's really nice to see people posting simple meals... ( I was embarrassed at first to post my lunch boxes)

It's really motivating!!!
Old 2012-06-21, 00:47   Link #316
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
It's really nice to see people posting simple meals... ( I was embarrassed at first to post my lunch boxes)

It's really motivating!!!
You make box lunches but aren't from Japan, right? You are from another Asian country, I know. Which one, and are box lunches popular there, too?
Old 2012-06-21, 00:57   Link #317
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
You make box lunches but aren't from Japan, right? You are from another Asian country, I know. Which one, and are box lunches popular there, too?
Philippines. We do packed lunches to save up money and at the same time eat a lot (a lot of rice to be exact)....

Foods in the cafeteria are expensive and inadequate for my daily food needs...
Old 2012-06-21, 01:04   Link #318
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

You are a Muslim, right? The Philippines is mostly with Roman Catholic citizens, right? But there is a sizable percentage of Muslims, too, right? Do you live in an area with many Muslim citizens, or is it pretty mixed? Any people there that are Buddhists or Taoists?
Old 2012-06-21, 15:10   Link #319
Edijs
Eddy

Send a message via MSN to Edijs
Spoiler for Press to see :D:

something what i made a while ago
Edijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-21, 15:20   Link #320
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Sweetie, the pic couldn't be viewed.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help