AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-04, 11:26   Link #561
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Actually we see your "I'm the guy who gets shot in the face" person earlier.

He's next to Nambu (Dash) in the scene where Kodai is named Combat Chief.

Toru seems impressed. Nambu is basically in "No way" mode.

Toru and Yuria are about the same age and are probably the two youngest crew members.

Also note the people around them look older and you have one Navy woman that is not in a skirt. In fact in the group shots, most of the Navy woman are in pants. The Army women are in skirts, and a few women are in blue with skirts (My guess is that they are Marines since Niimi has that uniform as her patch says Cosmo Forces UN rather than Cosmo Navy). Also there are very few men in green. Sanada. and some of the guards around Yamato as the crew arrives. The majority of the crew is in blue or red.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-06-04 at 11:42.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 12:00   Link #562
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Curious what's the difference between the orange, blue and green uniforms.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 12:15   Link #563
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Actually we see your "I'm the guy who gets shot in the face" person earlier.

He's next to Nambu (Dash) in the scene where Kodai is named Combat Chief.

Toru seems impressed. Nambu is basically in "No way" mode.
Yeah, that's right, he's there with Nambu. I was too distracted by Nambu's WTF face to remember he was there too. That look in Nambu's face is priceless. Kodai tore him a new one just a couple days (if that) ago and now he's his boss. ROFL. And instead of "Shot in the Face Guy" let's call him Toru Hoshina. Poor guy. XDDD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-04, 12:17   Link #564
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well all the blue uniforms (those without a skirt anyway) all have "Cosmo Navy" patches. The red and green uniforms (and the blue uniforms with skirts...all of which seem to have green tab bars over one breast or another, that remind me of something from Babylon 5, like Sanada does) have patches that say "Cosmo Forces UN".

Though I can't actually see what the patches on the guards around Yamato have because they tend to be distance shots, or we see them fromteh wrong side.

When the people get formally attached to a unit they seem to get a unit patch unstead of the generic patch. The Yukikaze and Kirishima crew's had their ship's names in place of "Cosmo Navy" and Yamato's crew has Yamato on all their patches.

Yamamoto (in her Cosmo Falcon uniform) seems to have a different patch. Instead of the Yamato patch she normally has, she has a Cosmo Falcon "Yamato Squadron" patch on her arm.

The Green uniformed General has a different patch on his right side, but I've not seen a clear shot of it yet. He has the standard Cosmo Forces UN patch on his left side.

Niimi's uniform isn't unique, but there seem to be far less in that style than anyone else except for Sanada's green uniform.
Old 2012-06-04, 13:18   Link #565
macdawson

There are at least 2 women with the same uniform as Niimi waiting in line while Shima and Jiro talk.

The brown uniforms (UNCF) have the fun detail that it's not just that pin that shifts sides, the whole uniform closes to the right in men and to the left in women.

The guards around the Yamato have UNCF on their back, an arm band on the right arm with some Hiragana, and a patch on the left arm though the best view we get of that is when they let the transports pass the gate, the guard on the right side of the picture. But as you said its too far to be of use.
Old 2012-06-04, 14:08   Link #566
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I'm guessing the guys in the white helmets are probably military police.
Old 2012-06-04, 15:16   Link #567
August138

At least, Nambu (Nanbu) and Yuki, both wearing red/brown coats, are attached to "Section 9" (the Military Intelligence Department of the UNCF Far East Sector HQ), so I imagine that all of these red/brown coats are from Section 9 of the UNCF Intelligence Division. Which means that Mamoru Kodai was also from this department as well? (Not that everyone in Section 9 would be privy to sensitive information.) I hope to see more official explanations as to the UNCF branches and uniforms, because I know that Izubuchi & Company went through the trouble of sorting them all out — they just need to share that info with the rest of us!
Old 2012-06-04, 15:36   Link #568
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I guess intelligence probably covers things signals and communications. Cause that's a bit too many people to bring along on a warship if they're all spooks.
Old 2012-06-04, 15:59   Link #569
August138

If it's based on Japan's Defense Intelligence, it would be broken down into these divisions, or similar:

General Headquarters/Administration Division
Provides administrative and logistics support

Planning Division
Conducts HUMINT-related activities

Imagery Division
Analyzes satellite images bought from American commercial satellites or from the JGSDF's Central Geographical Command located in Tachikawa, Tokyo

SIGINT Division
Analyzes SIGINT intelligence. Is responsible for its electronics unit in Ichigaya to monitor North Korea-based communications. It also manages two CDAA 'elephant cages,' as well as six other communications offices. They are located in Kobunato, Niigata Prefecture, Oi, Saitama Prefecture, Tachiarai, Fukushima Prefecture and Kikaijima, Kagoshima Prefecture.

Analysis/Assessment Division
Summarizes/assesses intelligence from Japanese military attachés serving abroad, intelligence from friendly nations and from DIH collaborators and agents

Joint intelligence Division
Collect and analyse intelligence which is needed to cope with immediately, and support Chief of JSO and SDFs directly. This division is a part of DIH, but also is expected to be used as J-2 of JSO.

Source: "Defense Intelligence Headquarters" Wikipedia
Old 2012-06-04, 16:24   Link #570
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I suppose since they're going into enemy territory, they could have a fair number of SIGNIT and anyalisits in order to make sense of new planets they encounter. Perhaps the camera frame just made it look like there was more of them.
Old 2012-06-04, 18:36   Link #571
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

I'm a little confused are there 2 or 3 sisters when the recording was playing?
Old 2012-06-04, 20:04   Link #572
August138

Two sisters; three altogether: Starsha, Sasha, and Ulyssha (Yurisha).
Old 2012-06-04, 20:26   Link #573
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So Yurisha was the one on the recording and Sasha died delivering it to Kodai? So what was Starsha's role?
Old 2012-06-04, 20:53   Link #574
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
So Yurisha was the one on the recording and Sasha died delivering it to Kodai? So what was Starsha's role?
To delegate orders.
Old 2012-06-04, 21:59   Link #575
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Queen Starsha is the one speaking in the recording. She is still on Iscandar and is the oldest.

Yurisha (the youngest) arrived on Earth a year before the show starts with the plans for the Wave Motion Engine and Wave Motion Gun. Her present location is unknown. She is suspected to be either dead, in a coma, or in suspended animation in the "coffin" like pod they locked up in the ship's autopilot room. It is also suspected that she might be Mori Yuki, but that is even harder to prove at this point. Other than Yuki looked like Sasha and was talking to a gold compact on the bridge.

Sasha (the middle sister) was the one that arrived during the Battle at Pluto with the Wave Motion Engine Core and the message they are listening to at the gathering of the crew. Sasha is the one Kodai and Shima find dead on Mars. She is supposely buried on Mars.

There seems to be more people in blue uniforms than red uniforms. This would make sense since the blue uniforms are Cosmo Navy.

The Women in blue uniforms with skirts do not seem to be Cosmo Navy, as most of the women with Cosmo Navy patches have the same uniforms as the men.
Old 2012-06-04, 22:38   Link #576
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

ok thanks for clearing that up guys.
Old 2012-06-05, 00:38   Link #577
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Review time I suppose:

Spoiler for Episode One:

Spoiler for Episode Two:

As one might have guessed by now, I really liked these episodes. I will see more...just it just that time thing in the way.
Old 2012-06-05, 04:26   Link #578
macdawson

Now that you mentioned it, it made me pay close attention to the timeline and yeah, it's a bit weird. To the UN they say they'll launch in 72 hours (this is not long after the attack in wich the officers are killed), in the gathering Okita says they'll leave the following day at 0600 hours. Now all this would be fine, a couple of days could have passed between the two scenes, wich would also allow time for the missile to travel from Pluto to Earth. But in his speech Okita says they recovered the message the previous day (i think he's reffering to actually retrieving the message from the capsule during it's analisys, not the capsule itself wich, yeah, was over 3 weeks before). This detail would put most of the events after the Kirishima landed, even allowing time for analisys, between 24 and 48 hours. This is made more evident when Okita says the officers were killed " in yesterday's bombing". Unless the subs have some mistranslation, the timeline is indeed a bit wobbly. Funny thing is, even so, it makes a lot more sense than the original in wich they apparently built the Yamato in a couple of days. XDDD Not saying they did, according to official sources, it took several months, but from just watching the show, you get the feeling the capsule is annalised and just a few hours after that Kodai and Shima are at the wrek of the Yamato. XDDD
Old 2012-06-05, 13:40   Link #579
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
To the UN they say they'll launch in 72 hours (this is not long after the attack in wich the officers are killed), in the gathering Okita says they'll leave the following day at 0600 hours. Now all this would be fine, a couple of days could have passed between the two scenes, wich would also allow time for the missile to travel from Pluto to Earth.
Precisely. The cutaways to other scenes covey the passing to time, which is typical of film grammar. We FADE OUT from the UN Video Conference to the launch of the IPBM (Interplanetary Ballistic Missile), and the CUT TO the Assembly Scene. As much as a day could have passed, because as it typical with Military Procedure, this Assembly was likely to have been held in the morning after the UN Video Conference. The order of 06:00 the next day would give the crew time to put their affairs in order and say goodbye to their families. CUT TO Okita's Quarters. Some time would have passed between the Assembly and the visit by Hijikata. Perhaps an hour or two, since he has no family, he would certainly board the ship early. We then CUT TO Sanada sealing the Capsule into the Cargo Case for boarding the Yamato. Again, this has to be several hours after the Assembly. We then FADE OUT and FADE INTO the IPBM Passing Jupiter. The FADES convey that as much as a day has passed. FADE OUT and FADE INTO the Underground City and the Yamamoto Residence with Kato and Akira. This obviously is the night before the the 06:00 call. Then we CUT TO Tokugawa leaving for the 06:00 call. Then we CUT TO Shima on the platform waiting for the transport. Then we CUT TO Kodai preparing to leave his apartment. We then CUT TO the Transports on their way to the Yamato. And so on.

Now, here's the important part: During the UN Video Conference, Okita says that the ship will be ready to depart in 72 hours (according to the Japanese dialogue), but because of the IPBM bearing down on them, they actually cast off earlier than the aforementioned 72 hour departure time.

Quote:
Funny thing is, even so, it makes a lot more sense than the original in wich they apparently built the Yamato in a couple of days. XDDD Not saying they did, according to official sources, it took several months, but from just watching the show, you get the feeling the capsule is annalised and just a few hours after that Kodai and Shima are at the wrek of the Yamato. XDDD
Originally, the Yamato was built as a final battleship to act as an ark to escape the Earth, until they receive the message from Iscandar. The original timeline has them adapting the tech of the WME into their own engine within days — following Starsha's schematics, I imagine — or building the engine from scratch. Still, a little bit of a tight deadline — but, at the time, we just went with it. So, I can see how Izubuchi gave them a little more elbow room, a year to build the ship and the engine, and they receive the WME Core (something they can't build on Earth, because of certain elements or properties only available on Iscandar), from Sasha to make it complete, which is simply fitted into the housing, akin to a hi-tech sparkplug.

Last edited by August138; 2012-06-05 at 14:07.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 17:05   Link #580
macdawson

That's not the issue. I understand that more time passes between scenes that what we see, fade out or no fade out, this is not 24. The "trouble" starts with what i described in the rest of my sentence

Quote:
But in his speech Okita says they recovered the message the previous day (i think he's reffering to actually retrieving the message from the capsule during it's analisys, not the capsule itself wich, yeah, was over 3 weeks before). This detail would put most of the events after the Kirishima landed, even allowing time for analisys, between 24 and 48 hours. This is made more evident when Okita says the officers were killed " in yesterday's bombing".
The points that don't fit within these allowances you posted are the 72 hour schedule and the two references to "yesterday" that Okita makes, and they don't fit because they're mutually exclusive.

a) Okita says they'll set sail in 72 hours. If he's being precise the UN conference must be taking place sometime in very early morning, since it is latter established that take-off time is 0600 hours (6 AM for those not into military time XD ). Now it is possible that the crew gathering takes place 2 days latter (since it's supposedly in the morning previous to lift-off).

So, as far as the 72 hour point all is fine. Until the "yesterdays" are thrown in. If we accept a) as correct then Okita's statement in the assembly that the message was retreived yesterday is of by 3 days, as is his statement to Kodai that the officers were killed yesterday, again at nearly by 3 and a half days.

Fot the yesterdays to fit slightly better you would have to move the gathering to the morning after the attack and Kodai and Okita's talk to the following dawn (sometime before 0600 hours. Notice that 0600 is not the time at wich you report to the ship, 0600 it's the time at wich they're intended to take-off, so the crew must already be onboard by then. But all this means we now we have them boarding the Yamato nearly 48 hours before the 72 hour timeline.

So, as you see, one of them must be wrong, either the 72 hours (wich is what Okita says) or the 2 "yesterdays". Unless Okita's radiation poisoning has thrown his frame of time off balance.

And before you tell me to read the part of your post about them moving up the schedule because of the IPBM, i did read it. And they may have moved it up. But if they did, it was by about an hour. Tops What do i base my statement on? Simple.

At the UN conference Okita says that because the Gamilas have discovered, or at least are suspicious, of their plans, they've moved up the schedule to 72 hours, wich means they have perhaps already stretched it to the minimum. But here's where that theory fails, They only spot the missile when it's already bearing down on them, so they may have put a little bit more spring in their step but nothing that cuts much time to the schedule. And as the Yamato comes to life, the sun is rising. Let's just say it's really early morning.

So... no. They may have left ahead of schedule but not enough to make the timeline fit. Because the 72 hours aren't the problem. It's the yesterdays, man. The yesterdays.

Now, seriously, this is nitpicking at the extreme and it's really just to generate some debate and try to figure things out. Not one yota of all this makes me love this show any less. It has fixed a lot of what was "wrong" with the original and is a great start to what i'm sure will be an awesome series. Even if any of what i pointed is an actual mistake, really, it's such a minor thing that it will be easily forgotten. As long as they keep doing right all the things that matter.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato