AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-01-14, 22:44   Link #121
Solecs

I finally got around to getting mplayer to compile for me. Thanks andiyar and hhaamu for the help with that. Though, I still can't get mp3 audio in avi files to work correctly, everything else works dandy. I think I read something about how incorrectly muxed mp3 audio in avi files will only play with mp3lib but the pre-compiled version of mplayer-1.0rc1 seems to handle it fine. Oh well, I'll survive.

In other news, I noticed that the front row remote that came with my macbook pro works in vlc player, but not mplayer. I don't suppose there is any way to use it with mplayer?
Old 2007-01-14, 22:48   Link #122
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ dreamerz

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this - busy time of year. Yes, I'm afraid it's the computer unfortunately. You could try the MPlayer build for PPC linked earlier in this thread, but I think that your machine isn't really going to be capable of playing h.264-encoded video

On a related, but slightly different note - for all the people who've been using my custom build of MPlayer, I've just finished uploading a new updated version - built this time using the 1.0rc1 official sources, but also compiled with the custom fontconfig library. It's more processor friendly, and works very nicely indeed. It's built with X11 disabled, as per the other build - although I am contemplating creating an X11-enabled build, as it's even faster on my machine here; if there's enough interest I'll do so.

Until otherwise though - enjoy! The link remains the same as in the first post in this thread, http://mplayer.andiyar.com/files/MPlayer-custom.dmg .

-Andiyar
Old 2007-01-14, 22:50   Link #123
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Solecs

Excellent - great to know that it's finally working for you! As to your question about the Apple Remote, I have heard of (though I have not tried) a piece of software called Mira by twistedmelon - http://twistedmelon.com/ - that apparently enables the Apple Remote in any application. Might be worth a shot.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-01-17, 06:26   Link #124
iindigo

Hey guys -

I know this isn't really the place for asking, but how would one obtain a version of the mPlayer source that includes Xcode project for the Mac GUI? I have some work I'd like to complete on it, but all I can seem to find is the mPlayer variant with a GTK/X11-based interface.

Also, many thanks for the custom mPlayer build with advanced softsub support. I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work pretty well (better than VLC, which has a bad habit of piling up hundreds of subtitles).
Old 2007-01-17, 14:46   Link #125
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iindigo View Post
how would one obtain a version of the mPlayer source that includes Xcode project for the Mac GUI?
svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayerosx/trunk mplayerosx

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
Old 2007-01-20, 12:10   Link #126
ichobi

wowww, thanks so much andiyar, am really appreicate this.
Glad to know that you are still updating mPLayer special build for us PPC user!
It works way faster on my iBook G4 and I don't even need to enable frame dropping anymore! (with some high res anime~).

it really is my best new year present!
Old 2007-01-20, 15:23   Link #127
TsubasaSeraphina

Quick question: I went to install X11, but it said I couldn't install becuase newer software was already installed, but I'm not sure what "newer software" I have, will MPlayer work, or do I have to find a way to install X11 anyways?

Also, I wanted to say that the walkthrough is much appreciated, I'd never even heard of MPlayer before, and I have several data-DVDs of MKV files that I couldn't get VLC to play, 'm hoping I can get MPlayer to work with them~ I tend to use Quicktime alot though, even though it can't do much, it's kind of a no brainer for .avi files, plus when I first started watching anime, that was all I had (and not the pro either-- meaning: no full screen ~_~) But my cusion noticed me watching my first-ever anime (that was Elfen Lied... xD) and decided to get me pro, as his good-deed-of-the-day...
Old 2007-01-20, 18:05   Link #128
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@TsubasaSeraphina

Interesting - did you download X11 from Apple or did you try to install it from a system disk? Either way, if you've downloaded X11 and it says there's already a newer version, then yes, you've already got X11 installed.

As to VLC, you might want to give the newest version a spin, as their mkv support has improved incredibly - they just need to keep up with the subtitle renderer.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-01-21, 16:14   Link #129
TsubasaSeraphina

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
@TsubasaSeraphina

Interesting - did you download X11 from Apple or did you try to install it from a system disk? Either way, if you've downloaded X11 and it says there's already a newer version, then yes, you've already got X11 installed.

As to VLC, you might want to give the newest version a spin, as their mkv support has improved incredibly - they just need to keep up with the subtitle renderer.

-Andiyar
Thanks, and I downloaded it from Apple, and I'll definately look into the newest version of VLC.
Old 2007-01-23, 18:14   Link #130
BOZZY

Just curious, but with the custom build of Mplayer that the thread creator posted, has anyone encountered some bizarre problems when opening some video files (be they MKV or AVI format) and have no video appear?

It happened to me once when I had dropped a few videos into the Mplayer playlist. I tried fiddling with the settings to no avail and had to remove and reinstall it until it managed to work properly (ended up deleting all mplayer-related files before I reinstalled).
Old 2007-01-26, 04:56   Link #131
ichobi

That happens sometimes due to corrupt permission i guess.
Easily fix with restarting the machine. Whenever that happens i Just restart my machine and voila, Mplayer works again
Old 2007-01-27, 04:55   Link #132
Graves

Very helpful thread! I've been frustrated with this issue for some time, and though I'm excited to almost be there. However, I'm getting hung up on a fontconfig problem with thr's player. If I leave it in the additional parameters field, no video will play, I just get a brief moment of green, and then it crashes. Without it, everything's fine, but I'm stuck using the default MPlayer subtitles. Better than nothing, yes, but I honestly don't have a clue about what to do now. I looked over the thread, but I'm lost with references to pkgconfig and what have you.

Before installing this, I didn't have any form of MPlayer on here, and though I did install X11, it didn't change the green player followed by crashing problem. Does anyone have any ideas about anything I could try?
Old 2007-01-31, 13:33   Link #133
ichobi

Hey Graves, if you have fontconfig parameter on , make sure you DO NOT use Mplayer font.

Set it like this;
Look in Mplayer > Preference
in General tab > Subtitle settings

FONT: none
That should fix it.

On a side note, what sort of Machine are you running, is it PPC or is it Intel.
If you download Andiyar Mplayer special build but you are running Intel Mac, then it wont work because Andiyar's build is only for PPC Mac.
Old 2007-02-01, 13:11   Link #134
Aegelward

not sure if its been brought up but fansubs in a .mp4 container that supposedly are h.264 seem to be unplayable in quicktime.

i mostly suspect that in some way its to do with x264. yeah i use mplayer but it'd be nice if they worked with quicktime. i can encode my own mp4 video files fine with visualhub/isquint and have perfect playability. this problem seems to be limited to fansubs... ;s
Old 2007-02-01, 19:42   Link #135
Nicholi
King of Hosers

The Quicktime problem is unfortunately Apple's issue of only implementing part of the H.264/AVC specs in their decoder. It is not x264's issue, more like x264 simply has more use of the H.264/AVC spec then Quicktime can decode. Harass apple to stop being lazy and improve their decoder, many peoples lives will be more enjoyable n_n. What you essentially need to ask for is the full requirements to be able to play High Profile encodes. Though there is a lot of Main Profile stuff they have not even added either, which is why their decoder is so weird.
Old 2007-02-02, 11:50   Link #136
Aegelward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
The Quicktime problem is unfortunately Apple's issue of only implementing part of the H.264/AVC specs in their decoder. It is not x264's issue, more like x264 simply has more use of the H.264/AVC spec then Quicktime can decode. Harass apple to stop being lazy and improve their decoder, many peoples lives will be more enjoyable n_n. What you essentially need to ask for is the full requirements to be able to play High Profile encodes. Though there is a lot of Main Profile stuff they have not even added either, which is why their decoder is so weird.
it would be great if they do... any idea if apple are working on it, since h.264 is supposedly 'the' codec of the future, if they had broad incompatibilities it would be a very annoying issue.

i must admit i've been lusting after an appletv ^^; would be great to watch anime on one without having to manually re-encode it.
Old 2007-02-02, 21:46   Link #137
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Its impossible to know what corporate giants are doing unless you work for them. They just don't reveal that information usually n_n. I'm betting we won't see the Quicktime H.264 decoder updated for a few years. Yay Apple! Its the cool new hip thing, except useless.
Old 2007-02-03, 01:07   Link #138
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
@ dreamerz

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this - busy time of year. Yes, I'm afraid it's the computer unfortunately. You could try the MPlayer build for PPC linked earlier in this thread, but I think that your machine isn't really going to be capable of playing h.264-encoded video

On a related, but slightly different note - for all the people who've been using my custom build of MPlayer, I've just finished uploading a new updated version - built this time using the 1.0rc1 official sources, but also compiled with the custom fontconfig library. It's more processor friendly, and works very nicely indeed. It's built with X11 disabled, as per the other build - although I am contemplating creating an X11-enabled build, as it's even faster on my machine here; if there's enough interest I'll do so.

Until otherwise though - enjoy! The link remains the same as in the first post in this thread, http://mplayer.andiyar.com/files/MPlayer-custom.dmg .

-Andiyar
Hm, I've been unable to install any of your builds so far, and I'm pretty sure this IS just me! I wonder if I should try deleting the mplayer folder and stuff before attempting to install the build...
Old 2007-02-03, 05:56   Link #139
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Discerptor

Hrm, odd. I haven't had anyone completely unable to install the file yet - do you have a MPlayer OSX.app binary in your applications folder? If you do, try moving it for me and installing again; it might be that the installer package is unable to write over it if it's already present... it should, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. Otherwise, you might need to be logged in as an admin to install the supporting binaries, as they're writing to the root level of the HDD. Might also be worth a shot, if you're not running as admin.

Now, to the other fun and entertaining issue currently at hand - that of h.264 profiles over base/main in QuickTime. Yes, Apple has blundered again - when they originally included MPEG-4 (part 2) into QuickTime (6) they left out the ability to encode or decode Advanced Simple Profile, which wasn't clever. Even today, although QuickTime 7 can now decode ASP, it still can't encode it in. As for Apple's implementation of h.264/AVC, from what I recall QuickTime only has support for Baseline plus one B-frame (encoder) and Baseline/Extended/Partial Main (decoder). So nothing High Profile, and nothing fancy Main Profile.

That said, in a short while we may be able to yet again tip our hats to the Perian team, as from what I gather they're including an adaption of libavcodec into the next version of Perian that supports decoding of the spectrum of h.264 profiles. So, when they release their next version (which also rolls in matroska support, at least the container), you should be able to play fansub .mp4/h.264 files within QuickTime-enabled apps. Which, enjoyably enough, includes Front Row.

Personally, I'd like it if there was some way to enable mplayer as the playback agent for Front Row et al, but that'll never happen. Perian, though, will make grand strides in that direction, as it already has! All they need is to make matroska a reality, and put in a nice subtitle renderer, and well... who knows where it could end.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-02-04, 08:22   Link #140
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
@ Discerptor

Hrm, odd. I haven't had anyone completely unable to install the file yet - do you have a MPlayer OSX.app binary in your applications folder? If you do, try moving it for me and installing again; it might be that the installer package is unable to write over it if it's already present... it should, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. Otherwise, you might need to be logged in as an admin to install the supporting binaries, as they're writing to the root level of the HDD. Might also be worth a shot, if you're not running as admin.
Well, I don't have non-administrator accounts on this computer, but I did decide to give using the root user a shot, and it worked! Thanks so much! That said... just how much of a performance increase are we talking with an X11-enabled build of this?

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate