AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-26, 19:45   Link #1
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Tipping

For our friends in other places, America and a lot of other countries are tipping cultures, meaning our waiters and waitressess make less than minimum wage, and the difference is supposed to be made up in tips, a portion of money left at the end of the meal, meant for the person who served you.

The general rule of thumb is giving 15% of the cost of the meal. Since the cost of the meal goes up with inflation, its figured that the tips will go up as well... This has left some people with the same wages that service had in the 1950s.

Do we adjust? Apply the actual minimum wage to all service work? What are your tipping rules? Pet peeves about service?

Personally, I just tip around 15% unless the service is abysmal, then I dont tip and talk to the manager (I have never actually done this, not picky about my service at a restuarant). If I know the person, or have a long ongoing patrionage relationship with the family that owns the place, I tip a lot more. My wife and I usually eat at family owned ethnic joints, versus chains.
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 19:49   Link #2
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

In Singapore, one of our former ministers (recently deceased) suggested a "no-tips" culture way back in the '70s. As such, we have a 10% service charge (regardless of quality) and a VAT (GST in local lingo) of 7%, bringing it to 17%.

Now, since there are many places where you don't have to pay the 10%, some do visit restaurants less frequently.
Old 2009-07-26, 20:33   Link #3
Tr3adst0ne
Rogue Agent

By ethnic joints you're referring to restaurants that serves dishes from the orient (i.e. Thailand, Korea, India, Japan and China)?
Tr3adst0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 20:46   Link #4
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

All of those, as well as Ethiopian, Pakistani, Indian, Vietmanese, Greek, Spanish, Portugese, Mexican, etc. "Ethnic" meaning "Not Denny's or Olive Garden", lets say.
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 05:12   Link #5
Xion Valkyrie

15% seems standard for sit down places. However, I only tip 10% for Buffets unless the service is really good.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 07:11   Link #6
kaizer63

Send a message via AIM to kaizer63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Tongue View Post
For our friends in other places, America and a lot of other countries are tipping cultures, meaning our waiters and waitressess make less than minimum wage, and the difference is supposed to be made up in tips, a portion of money left at the end of the meal, meant for the person who served you.

The general rule of thumb is giving 15% of the cost of the meal. Since the cost of the meal goes up with inflation, its figured that the tips will go up as well... This has left some people with the same wages that service had in the 1950s.
Where does the idea that waiters and waitresses don't make minimum wage keep coming up? While it's true that a store has the option to pay them less than the standard baseline pay if they receive tips, if the combined earnings of tips + baseline pay DON'T equal minimum wage then the employer is required to provide the rest themselves. The biggest benefit to working as a waiter/waitress is the potential to make more than minimum wage without ever making less than it.

To answer the OP: I usually tip between 15-20%. If service was truly excellent then I'll tip even higher than that depending on just how impressed I was. If it was abyssmal then I won't leave anything. If a worker wants more than minimum wage they need to earn it.
Old 2009-07-27, 07:16   Link #7
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
In Singapore, one of our former ministers (recently deceased) suggested a "no-tips" culture way back in the '70s. As such, we have a 10% service charge (regardless of quality) and a VAT (GST in local lingo) of 7%, bringing it to 17%.

Now, since there are many places where you don't have to pay the 10%, some do visit restaurants less frequently.
I remember it is done to prevent grudge mentality (which propagated anyway amongst the people anyway) among Singaporeans. Besides, over here in SEA, more people visit kopitiams (coffee shops) rather than restaurants, so the tip culture is not fleshed out here.

With cashless payments out there, tipping might be a bygone in an era of cash in the future.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 10:18   Link #8
qwertyuiopz

i only tip 10%
unless service is a total hottie that is!
they get 15%!

but tip is now being included in most receipts so...
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 11:01   Link #9
Timdog

15% if the services is acceptable. If it's great, 20%. If it's bad, less than 10%. I haven't had enough problems to never leave a tip.

I still don't understand the reasons for just having a service charge instead of a tip. Then the waiters and waitresses don't have that intrinsic drive to work harder so they get the bigger tips. Sure, they might still work hard because they'd be fired otherwise, but with tips, they might work even harder and provide the best service possible so they can get the big tips. It's a win-win for everyone (except bad waiters/waitresses ).
Timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 11:01   Link #10
M!rage
~Queen of evil~

in my country you don't have to give tips except in certain situations or restaurant ...

Quote:

but tip is now being included in most receipts so...
right now most of the Restaurants do that

Quote:
What are your tipping rules?
i don't have certain rules for that
M!rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 12:06   Link #11
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Acceptable service = 10%
Great service = 15%
Poor service = 0%

Although being a worker in a part time job myself, it is slightly annoying for me to tip others (If they are young people) because I get no tip.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 12:13   Link #12
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
I rarely tip, only if the waiters are very nice and then not more than 1 €.
Old 2009-07-27, 12:41   Link #13
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

How much I tip depends on how much my meal was, and if our server was nice, checked on us often and was curtious (SP?). If my family eats out, and it's $40+, we tip 10%.

Usually, we leave between $5-$7. I'm in agreement with my dad that, yeah their cash comes from tips, but I can't justify giving them more than 12%. Average folk like us can't afford to tip like that.
Old 2009-07-27, 13:11   Link #14
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

jobs should be made so that there is minimum wage. i don't tip unless they are giving me back like a couple of pennies. also i don't really know if there is tipping in England as there is a mininmum wage requirment.

TBH i don't really get the whole tipping thing. if your making a wage then why do you need someone to tip you for the job that you are paid to do. of course if you are not making a certain amount of wages than i guess it would be ok to tip depending on the amount you should be getting paid to how much you are paid. if people are tipping 5-10% on every meal than that employee would get paid more than wage.

i didn't grow up with tipping part of my culture and being bought up.
Old 2009-07-27, 13:42   Link #15
klowny
OH NO

Why tip someone for a job you can do yourself?

lol i only tip people when i order out and i Rarely eat in a restaurant
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 19:20   Link #16
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

20% if they're good, 15% or nearest to whole number if they're average, 10% anyway if they suck, and I'll just not go ever again.

And I leave all the coins if they give me change.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 20:56   Link #17
Sleep
Tomato

Send a message via MSN to Sleep
I usually only tip a few euro's and that's because I can't afford to tip 10-15% the food is expensive enough as it is.
Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 21:39   Link #18
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

My mom does tip. Usually after receiving her change, she just leaves the coins.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 23:33   Link #19
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Fortunately I don't live in a country that ever developed a tipping culture. When you tip, it's for truly exceptional service, not something that is considered standard and natural to do. Thus I have never tipped anybody in my life, save for very occasional "keep the change" situation when it's a relatively inconsequential amount and I can't be bothered with change (eg. $18.20 taxi ride, give a $20 and hop out).

Wait staff here get paid quite well already, they don't need me to pay them extra just for doing the job they're being paid to do by their employer who in turn I am paying for foodstuffs -- the cost of the food should cover all of their involved costs, including employees. Not that I go to cafes or restaurants... ever, but it's a general mindset. It seems that only wait staff get tips in general, I've not heard of it with general service staff in non-food service areas.

I've never understood the premise behind tipping to make a living. People should get paid enough, and if somebody tips it should be considered a great compliment, not an insult if they don't tip.

On the flip side, though, wait staff here aren't always nice and cheerful and polite, because they're getting paid regardless, they don't have a tip riding on the quality of their service, which (from what I hear, not having been there myself) in the US tends to make for very good friendly waiters/waitresses, since they do require tips to get by. So in that regard it could be good, I guess. But I'd rather not pay the extra. Not like I need people to be polite and friendly as long as they're doing their job.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 23:50   Link #20
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

I tend to tip around 15-20% on average for good service. Tip is lowered if they visit the table like once every 30 minutes (which usually ends up with me waiting extensively for another glass of water or whatever I'm drinking) or if they mess up my order pretty badly. But I always provide a tip unless the one serving me ends up being an absolute douche but thankfully that has not happened yet
Karlson is offline   Reply With Quote