Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-10-21, 18:23   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Done! For! Emphasis! And! More! Power! This! Is! Animeeeeeeee!!!
Sparta!! @_@
Old 2012-10-21, 19:05   Link #22
gsilver

They do it a lot in American action movies, too.

Much moreso than I realized, prior to starting to go to the gym on a regular basis... Movies are always playing there, even if I'm watching them, and the yelling (and gunfire/explosions) are the main thing that I notice.
Old 2012-10-21, 19:57   Link #23
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

As someone who has trained sports my whole life and is a semi-professional woodsman of sorts (lots of swinging axes and machetes) I can promise you that there is a real benefit in terms of power generation from exhaling when you are making an explosive motion (and inhaling on the recovery motion).

It's not needed to make a big shout and obviously standing there yelling and tensing your muscles does not increase your power level (good way to get an aneurysm though). Just a quick exhale of breath, enough that you can hear it.

If you watch a pro-boxing or MMA match, you'll notice the fighters making little "Pssh!," "Pssh!" noises whenever they throw a punch or a kick.
Old 2012-10-21, 20:43   Link #24
CasualAnimeFan

I was in kendo for a spell and every time we did a strike, we were supposed to yell out the location of the strike at the same time of the strike. My sensei had mentioned that it was done to really make yourself seem strong, make you seem bigger than you might be, instill fear into your opponent. The same things could be at play?
CasualAnimeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 02:05   Link #25
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Darn. From reading the thread title, I thought this thread would be about yelling in drama series. It's not just an action thing at all.

The last episode of Ano Hana actually damaged my appreciation of the anime by a few points because all the yelling and crying was overdone to the point of becoming obnoxious.

As for the action trope, yelling/roaring/shouting/etc. can throw your opponent off guard, and it probably has an evolutionary role involving predation or courtship, persisting even if you're in a fighter plane (or mecha) and your opponent can't hear you.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 08:57   Link #26
mysweetabelle

yelling because of too much emotion is fine with me... that's normal... but i don't like those anime characters or even not anime yelling or screaming in the middle of a fight scene... it's frustrating for me and i can't enjoy the scene anymore because of too much yelling of the characters...
mysweetabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 10:07   Link #27
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess we should identify what we're calling "yelling". I don't mind a "yearrgh" or a "ha!" or ki or whatever. My eyes start rolling with "Poison Lotus Drunken Posture Slam!!!" or other bleh. To me that says "show for little boys who eat too much sugar"
Old 2012-10-22, 14:14   Link #28
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I like yelling, too but if it's too excessive, I don't like. There has to be time and place for everything. Exercise in moderation would probably serve anime for the better. Yelling for the most part ruins the atmosphere. Yelling done correctly by right character, Shiki on the other end of the spectrum, we have Another, where an unknown bestacled girl goes psycho and dies in humourous fashion.
Basically feel the same way, there's something to be said for a good old fashioned hot blooded yell, but characters that are manic, forever shouting all their lines and have the camera constantly focused so that they are practically shouting right in your face really do get on my nerves. Though this mostly tends to be when a show is trying way to hard to sell a joke and fall backs on having the character just loudly proclaim the setup, punchline and explanation of the entire gag.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 12:00   Link #29
mican

Location: Somewhere in a distant patch of green staring into the luminous starry sky.
Kamina of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Epitome of portraying the spirit of Yelling. Nuff said
mican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 18:36   Link #30
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
In my personal POV, letting go of an attack is much more comfortable when screaming. (Not that I have tried that personally. )
Yup, they pretty much teach that in martial arts... Well, they don't specifically say that of course but I knew what they meant No seriously, it's half mind games and half physical for both you and your opponent.

It works when you're running your 2.4km test as well...>_> I tend to curse a lot doing those thing... it's like my nitro.

Anyway, warriors been doing it for thousands of years- this is hardly Anime original stuff -_-
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 21:44   Link #31
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
They do it a lot in American action movies, too.

Much moreso than I realized, prior to starting to go to the gym on a regular basis... Movies are always playing there, even if I'm watching them, and the yelling (and gunfire/explosions) are the main thing that I notice.
But its not like they do:
American Naval Officer: Battleship! Cannon!
Chuck Norris: Chuck! Norris! Volley!
Steve Austin: Stone! Cold! Stunner!
Old 2012-12-13, 01:22   Link #32
Traece
:cool:

A lot of people have wonderful examples about how vocal power is used to make you seem more threatening.

It's a very psychological thing. I've always thought of it as furthering your commitment to an act. Putting more effort into a physical act by adding a vocal component makes your physical act more powerful and more deliberate because you've committed a larger effort to performing that act. It's like flipping your hand up when you're trying to sing a high note.

As far as how overly dramatic anime portrays yelling in nearly every situation, you can't deny that words have great power.