AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-12-22, 03:49   Link #241
Lebron
I hear voices

lol, how many people bought the PSX in Japan? Like 20? Jeux is pretty reliable site, but I really hope that they were misinformed or something. That isn't good news at all :P
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-22, 18:28   Link #242
Zhemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune View Post
While we're on the topic of PS2 games on PS3, I have a question.

I know that PS3 games are region-free, but could PS3 play PS2 games from any region?
the PS3 will play any region DvD

But, I would hold off playing PS2 games on your PS3, people are saying the PS3 melts PS2 discs, lol.
Zhemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-22, 20:21   Link #243
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

By my understanding, the PS3 is not "region free" in any sense. DVDs are still held to the DVD region coding, and BluRay is held to the BlueRay region coding. The thing is, under the BluRay region coding, the United States and Japan are in the same region.
Old 2006-12-23, 20:50   Link #244
Catnips

The only region free is the PS3 games not the movies nor the PS1 and PS2 games....

I hope Sony would drop the price of the PS3 a bit...
Catnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-23, 23:30   Link #245
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
only time will tell, by logic based upon the historic natural of the console market, the PS3 will drop in price. How long do we have to wait, until the price reach one that society will find at a reasonable cost? Is another matter.

In fact, it could be that the life cycle of the PS3 will be so long that eventually the economy will be the one which will rise to make the PS3 current price reasonable....which i really hope so, as it implies a fortunate future.

*shrug*

I'm still on the fence as to decide wether all this HD thing is just a fade. (hey, people find the wiimote gimmicky, why not HD?)

After all, we always had HD on our PC monitors....

anyway, until they bring out a number of games that takes the advantage of the PS3 potential, is a better bet then waiting for the PS3 to drop in price.

Old 2006-12-24, 12:50   Link #246
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

The PS3 will see a drop in price. It happens to every console. I sincerely doubt we'll see a price drop before a minimum of one year. That's bare minimum, and very optimistic. Two years is more reasonable.

I'm also severely skeptical that the PS3 will have a life span longer than previous consoles. Second-guessing technology almost never succeeds. In 4-5 years when we see consoles with graphics on par or better than the PS3's, with standard controllers like the Wii's, and a price point significantly lower, Sony won't sit content with the belief that the market will stay with the PS3.

HD is here to stay until technology produces something better and the industry is willing to adopt a new standard in television formats. Better quality is never a gimmick unless it exceeds our ability to percieve the difference, and all HD is, is higher visual quality.

On the other hand, most people do not have HD television sets and will not for at least another year or three. This means most people will not get the full benefit of HD graphics, or at worst will find themselves unable to read menues and text which was designed for an HD television. In this respect, the hype around HD is very much a gimmick. People who will not own an HD set for years will still buy a 360 or a PS3 based on the hype of their HD visuals.
Old 2006-12-24, 21:09   Link #247
Knightmare213

It's been about a month, give or take a week, after PS3's launch. However, I just want to express my sadness about how some people thinks that PS3 won't last long as any other next-gen consoles.

Like I said, it's only been a month. Should not the public give Sony a year at least for itself to grow and develop? Sure, it has lot of problems right now, excluding its price that causes Sony to lose money. But that doesn't mean that it'll have the same problems a year after.

Right now, PS3 is just as same as a pre-maturely born baby that needs a lot of intensive care. But given time with plenty of attention, and that attention is the attention from the consumers and the game developers, that baby will grow to a healthy child, then to fully mature and god-like adult like Xbox 360 is now.

Give some time, like I always say. Great things doesn't happen overnight.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-24, 22:14   Link #248
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
only time will tell, by logic based upon the historic natural of the console market, the PS3 will drop in price. How long do we have to wait, until the price reach one that society will find at a reasonable cost? Is another matter.

In fact, it could be that the life cycle of the PS3 will be so long that eventually the economy will be the one which will rise to make the PS3 current price reasonable....which i really hope so, as it implies a fortunate future.

*shrug*

I'm still on the fence as to decide wether all this HD thing is just a fade. (hey, people find the wiimote gimmicky, why not HD?)

After all, we always had HD on our PC monitors....

anyway, until they bring out a number of games that takes the advantage of the PS3 potential, is a better bet then waiting for the PS3 to drop in price.

The only problem is, if you want to play a game at HD with nice graphics, you'll end up spending as much on the rig as you would on buying an actual HDTV.

That's one of the funny things I find about gamers, though. A lot of PC gamers don't hesitate to drop 400+ on a graphics card alone, but they balk when they see the PS3 costing around the same.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-25, 06:12   Link #249
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I haven't heard anyone say that the PS3 won't last as long as the other consoles. Few people doubt that the PS3 will be a force in the market, but it's very easy to see why it will likely not hold the same sort of unrivaled support that the PS2 did. I doubt Sony honestly expects it to.
Old 2006-12-25, 07:10   Link #250
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Right now, PS3 is just as same as a pre-maturely born baby that needs a lot of intensive care. But given time with plenty of attention, and that attention is the attention from the consumers and the game developers, that baby will grow to a healthy child, then to fully mature and god-like adult like Xbox 360 is now.
Which emphasises how it isn't that good. None of the other consoles needed 'intensive care' this or the previous generation.
Old 2006-12-25, 10:26   Link #251
Sankari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Which emphasises how it isn't that good. None of the other consoles needed 'intensive care' this or the previous generation.
I hope you aren't talking about the console itself because PS3 is a damn fine machine . It has few problems at the moment because of production issues and the price point is kinda high but you'd have to be living in the moon to even think that PS3 wouldn't do just fine, even this generation. Playstation brand itself will sell them 10 million consoles no doubt. This coming from a Xbox360 owner, so don't try to tell me I'm some sony fanboy.

PS2 launch was the same as PS3 launch, only fewer consoles were available for PS3. PS2 launch was horrible to say the least.
Sankari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-25, 16:58   Link #252
Knightmare213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I hope you aren't talking about the console itself because PS3 is a damn fine machine . It has few problems at the moment because of production issues and the price point is kinda high but you'd have to be living in the moon to even think that PS3 wouldn't do just fine, even this generation. Playstation brand itself will sell them 10 million consoles no doubt. This coming from a Xbox360 owner, so don't try to tell me I'm some sony fanboy.

PS2 launch was the same as PS3 launch, only fewer consoles were available for PS3. PS2 launch was horrible to say the least.
@Benoit: Sorry for the confusion. I seem to have chosen the wrong words. What I meant to say is that what PS3 needs is time. Like I said, great things doesn't happen overnight. Whether PS3 will be the best of the three (Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 itself) is still questionable and, again I stress this, we need at least a year for the answer to appear.

@Sankari: I really would like to know if the PS2 launch was actually horrible or not on '01. However, it's predicted that PS2 will outsell it's bigger and powerful brother, the PS3, until it's final sale in few years.
Old 2006-12-25, 17:57   Link #253
Zhemos

In my opinion, I don't think the PS3 will last.

I work at gamestop, and we've had 2 defective PS3's and 4 people returning their PS3's. There was one guy who brought one back that said it melted his Final fantasy 12. and one guy actually traded in a 20gig system, we gave him 350 dollars store credit for it.

But who knows, in a years time the PS3 could be king and the 360 and Wii will flop.

I'm still holding off on which system to get. I'm enjoying my DS and PS2 atm. :P
Old 2006-12-26, 11:47   Link #254
HimuraKiyone
Editor Extrordinaire

Send a message via ICQ to HimuraKiyone Send a message via AIM to HimuraKiyone Send a message via MSN to HimuraKiyone Send a message via Yahoo to HimuraKiyone
I haven't heard of any other consoles returned around here. But stop for a moment and think about the launch of the 360. It was horrible when it came out. It had power supply problems, over heating problems, backwards-compatibility problems galore! Now, mircosoft has fixed most of the problems, and it is doing better. The PS3 hasn't as many issues as the 360 had. Provided Sony fixes production problems, which it seems they have, and maybe add an extra fan to cool it better, and that should be about it. I can say that where my PS3 runs hot, it's not nearly as hot as some laptops and definitely not hot enough to melt a game. That was probably an honestly defective system and not a common issue. Either that or the guy could have put it inside an entertainment center located against a wall with a heating vent on it. I'd say that it would definitely get hot then:)
HimuraKiyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 13:16   Link #255
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Indeed, first generation consoles always seem to have all sorts of weird problems.

The disc-melting seems interesting though. That Blu-Ray laser must be pretty high-powered ;O
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-27, 00:30   Link #256
Zhemos

For today

3 PS3's brought back.

And we got our shipment today, five 60gigs, not one sold.

I dunno how it is else where, but around where I live no one wants them.
I think people are waiting for a price drop, and also the people returning them are people who couldn't make profit on ebay.
Old 2006-12-27, 01:18   Link #257
Knightmare213

@Zhemos: What I'm waiting for, not only a price drop, but a combo deal. In other words, when you go to buy Xbox 360 now, you have a chance to buy the Premium version of the 360 with two additional games in a package under $550 in Canadian dollars.

If Sony can come up with that after PS3's 1st launch anniversary, I'd be even more happy to get one myself for Christmas.
Old 2006-12-27, 01:55   Link #258
Lebron
I hear voices

You talking about the Futureshop or Futurestop Deal, Knightmare? Man that thing is a steal, lol. Friend of mine drove up there and bought it back in November when they were offering 3 games with it.

I'm sure come same time next year, they will have some sort of PS3 deal like that. MS will drop its price next year, and Nintendo is already $250, but they could do the same as well( Highly doubt it doh) So I feel come next Fall, Sony's going to have to issue a good type of bundle in order to keep interest up. Since that $500-600 price tag sticks out like a sore thumb. I know alot of my friends want one, but they aren't going to pay more than $300 for it. So they're all waiting till it hits that price point. Question is, just how long is that going to take. They still haven't issued one for the PSP, despite the fact that DS continues to outsell it.

Anyway some positive news, did anyone download the GT:HD demo they released couple days ago? Thought it was pretty good for the most part, was real impressed with the replays, but actual gameplay wasn't as great as I thought it would. Still it was a free download so thats good, despite the fact that it was a complete pain in the ass trying to download it. All the Sony network problems they were having, but its all good. Thats what you get for free service, lol.

Last edited by Lebron; 2006-12-27 at 02:07.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-27, 18:00   Link #259
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd View Post
The PS3 will see a drop in price. It happens to every console. I sincerely doubt we'll see a price drop before a minimum of one year. That's bare minimum, and very optimistic. Two years is more reasonable.

I'm also severely skeptical that the PS3 will have a life span longer than previous consoles. Second-guessing technology almost never succeeds. In 4-5 years when we see consoles with graphics on par or better than the PS3's, with standard controllers like the Wii's, and a price point significantly lower, Sony won't sit content with the belief that the market will stay with the PS3.
the funny thing about that second guessing tech... is that you got second guess no matter what, for both supporting and attacking the PS3...

Well, i gotta disagree with somethings here, like where we may or may not be in the next 4-5 years... For one thing, the 360 is only about 4-5 years older than the xbox, it's graphically more powerful but it costs about $100 more... if this trend continues, then in 4-5 years, just to make a more graphically more powerful system will cost about $500... another thing to take into account is blueray/hddvd; if one of those starts to become mainstream, even for game developers, than the next xbox may have an added $100-$200 cost... in other words, the next xbox will more than likely cost as much if not more than want the PS3 currently costs... ofcourse by then the PS3 will probably have experienced a few price drops... So really, in 4-5 years, the ps3 will be competing against an xbox that is graphically stronger, more expensive and has no game library other than whats on the the 360...

Ps3 will have even more advantage if blueray/hddvd go mainstream... since the ps3 already supports blueray, it only needs to worry about graphics... the ps3 has some high graphical strength as it is, and even if, in 4-5 years, the next Xbox is even stronger graphically, i can't help but feel that the new graphical strength will not be big enough to stop the PS3 (really, how much graphically stronger can the next system really be?)... If the graphical power of isn't big enough, the Ps3 might be able to coast through and suvive the next generation(4-5 years form now) long enough so that it may not bcome out of date till the next, next generation, in about 10 years from now... This could be what Sony has been thinking, since i recall them boasting that the PS3 would have a life span of 10 years before it became out of date

however, blueray was still a bit of gamble... if blueray flops, and HDdvd becomes the overall excepted medium, by game developers and the movie industry alike... it may cause some serious damage to the PS3 in the long run... bascially forceing sony to come up with a new system, not out of needed to make something more power, but to make something supports HDdvd instead of blueray... though if Sony could somehow may an hddvd attachment, kinda like what the 360 did, that could used for both games and movies, the ps3 might be able to save itself...

grant it, this is all second guessing tech... so it may not pan out this way
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-28, 07:32   Link #260
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

There is educated supposition about technology trends over a relatively short term time span, and then there's bold statements about the future of technology 10 years hence. For a very long time now videogame generations have lasted pretty much 5 years, with several consoles enjoying a year or so of decent support into the next generation.

The 360 is a hundred dollars more expensive than the original Xbox, but the original Xbox was not trying to push a new console generation a year sooner than it otherwise would have come. The 360 came out 4 years after the original, while most console generations last about 5. A year can change a lot. Not only better tech, but more inexpensive ways of achieving better results (hence the redesigned NES, Sega Genesis, and the Slim PS2)

There is also the issue that significantly more impressive 3D graphics are getting more and more difficult to attain. This means more expensive hardware if you hope to continue releasing consoles within a 4-5 year time frame. If graphics are the only thing you're interested in, that would indeed suggest either longer console life spans, or more expensive new consoles.

However, several things. The success of the PS2, the DS, and the bright looking launch of the Wii (or alternatively the relative failures of the Neo*Geo, Dreamcast, Gamecube,and Xbox. Or even more complex, the failure of the Saturn) show beyond a doubt that graphics power alone does not determine a successful console.

It's really not hard to imagine Nintendo releasing a console with graphics on par with the 360 or PS3 for $300, using a Wii-like controller, in 4-5 years, and Microsoft releasing a console with better than PS3 graphics with a Wii-like controller for $400-600.

That's not including any possible leaps in graphics technology that may or may not occur in that time. This is simply itteration and streamlining current technology.

Quote:
another thing to take into account is blueray/hddvd; if one of those starts to become mainstream, even for game developers, than the next xbox may have an added $100-$200 cost...
You forget, if either becomes the industry standard as DVD had, then in 4-5 years it will be significantly less costly to implement those media formats into a gaming machine. Sony chose to implement BluRay despite it being such a new technology because they hope to force it into the position of industry standard. The graphics capabilities of the PS3 alone do not warrant the added price above that of the 360. By then, BluRay/HD-DVD may well be in the position DVD was when Sony chose to include DVD capabilities into the PS2. The PS2 launched at a modest $300. Here we are a generation later and you can practically pull DVD players out of cereal boxes.

Quote:
So really, in 4-5 years, the ps3 will be competing against an xbox that is graphically stronger, more expensive and has no game library other than whats on the the 360...
And, ignoring all of the above, you can really make this identical statement about any new console generation. Yet new console generations continue to appear, and people continue to buy into them.

Quote:
(really, how much graphically stronger can the next system really be?)
Statements like these, when made by the famous, often become the source of derisive humour 4-5 years later.

Quote:
grant it, this is all second guessing tech... so it may not pan out this way
Second guessing, or educated guessing. One thing that is true, though, is that it remains impossible to completely see the future and know with 100% accuracy what will occure in the coming years. Nothing is black and white in this world, and what happens is the culmination of many individual occurances leading up to them, which in turn leads to many other occurances. All we can do is see what has come before, what is happening presently, and see where that is likly to lead.

Tags
console, ps3, sony