AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-22, 19:25   Link #1
Theowne
耳をすませば

Back to the romance category

I haven't watched a romance anime in a while (other than Cross Game). However my appreciation for romance anime tends to be somewhat erratic.

Liked the most (either as romance anime or as subplots)
Kare Kano
Whisper of the Heart (Ghibli film)
Maison Ikkoku
Touch
Cross Game
Crest/Banner of the Stars
Planetes
Natsume Yuujinchou (ok, this one isn't romance, but I just thought I'd throw it in here in terms of atmosphere/characterization)

Not as much, but to an extent....
True Tears
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Aishiteruze Baby
REC
Saikano

Generally dislike: Anime like NANA/Paradise Kiss, harem or visual novel-based anime, moe characters, etc.

My animelist is here. I know there's quite a bit in this genre I haven't seen, so I hope you guys can help narrow it down.

I initially tried to make a rough "outline" for what kind of shows I generally like but I figured presenting that would influence suggestions superficially...better to look at the list of shows I really liked and see if you can think of other shows that seem to resemble the "feel" of them in some way or another.

Thanks*

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2010-04-22 at 23:47.
Old 2010-04-22, 21:30   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Lovely Complex?
Old 2010-04-22, 23:24   Link #3
Falkor

if you don't mind yuri, you might want to try Aoi Hana (thread at AS); it has romance, drama and a nice mood going on. I would also like to recommend Hourou Musuko (thread at AS), which deals with gender identity disorder. but you will have to wait until the anime comes out. :P (by the way, the two works are done by SHIMURA Takako).

there isn't a whole lot that I can recommend, but I have some manga in mind that can fit your criteria.
Old 2010-04-24, 20:35   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

Manga recommendations would be fine too, I suppose. Ive seen Aoi Hana, I wouldn't say it's my favourite romance anime, it would probably go in the middle of the line for me.

Old 2010-04-24, 20:57   Link #5
Kazu
Flowing

I have no idea what a great romance series would be,yet i'm still posting here, but i'll say Beck it's mainly of a indie band trying to get world famous but the subplot is the main characters relationship with his friends sister

The Manga is way better than the anime and longer too, but theres pretty bad art in the first 30 chapters

so if you read the manga you'll have to endure. or you can watch the anime first and read from where the anime left off like me

One reason I think it's pretty romantic is when they swim in the water and sing a song from Dying Breed, a fictional famous band.

and the thing is there not even in a relation yet at that part
Old 2010-04-24, 21:01   Link #6
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Ai Yori Aoshi

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-04-24, 21:59   Link #7
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Generally dislike: Anime like NANA/Paradise Kiss, harem or visual novel-based anime, moe characters, etc.
Well, I tried to stick to your tastes as possible:

Boys Be...
EF - A Tale of Melodies
EF - A Tale of Memories
Full Metal Panic!
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~
Hatsukoi Limited
I"S Pure
Itazura na Kiss
Kimi ni Todoke
Onegai Teacher
Peach Girl
Romeo x Juliet
Rose of Versailles

The EF series is a visual novel based anime, but it's not one to be missed if you're big fan of romance.

Last edited by Zwei; 2010-04-24 at 22:15.
Old 2010-04-25, 00:28   Link #8
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Well, to start off I really hope you take my suggestion and watch this series because when it comes to romance/drama, I consider it one of the best in it's respective genres. Clannad and it's second season, Clannad: After Story demonstrates one of the best romances I've seen in the last decade or so. This is also aside from the fact that the male lead Tomoya, is probably one of the best leads in terms of character development that I've seen for a long time. The female lead also goes through a subtle but significant development that seems to be under-appreciated.

Unfortunately, this series is based off a visual-novel and it contains some moe But I highly recommend this series with the utmost praise, it really is an experience that should not be missed. While the first season consists of a more comedic and school life atmosphere, it's the second season where the romance and drama really kicks it into high gear and also where most of my praise lies. Just read the premise for Clannad and ignore the pictures, ignore anything you might assume you'll dislike about it. If you want romance with great development over time, then just watch it and you won't regret it.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-04-25, 12:47   Link #9
MamoruUsagi

High School Debut
Bokura ga Ita
The Devil Does Exist
Mars
Wild Act
Happy Hustle High
Fushigi Yugi
Ceres Celestial Legend
Kare First Love
Akuma De Sourou
Peach Girl
Marmalade Boy
Missile Happy!
Land of the Blindfolded
Sand Chronicles
Ultra Cute
Sailor Moon
Fushigi Yuugi
Ayashi no Ceres
B.O.D.Y.

are romance manga and anime that have a couple dating and involved in a serious romantic relationship.

Bokura ga Ita
Fushigi Yugi
Kare First Love
Mars
Happy Hustle High
Peach Girl
The Devil Does Exist
Ultra Cute
Mars
High School Debut
We Were There
Fushigi Yuugi
Ceres Celestial Legend
Sailor Moon
Marmalade Boy
Wild Act
Absolute Boyfriend
Missile Happy!
Land of the Blindfolded

These series feature couples that are dating and in relationships, there are no harems, just committed couples dating, getting married and in a relationship, like in Kare Kano.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-04-25 at 13:02.
Old 2010-04-25, 13:15   Link #10
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I second the Lovely Complex and Kimi no Todoke suggestions, especially the former.

I want to second EF: A Tale of Memories/EF: A Tale of Melodies since both my girlfriend and I consider it to be among our top five favourite animes, but I imagine there's a number of elements that would turn Theowne off - mainly the fact that the triangle between Hiro, Miyako, and Kei can be fairly vicious and catty. Granted, it's only one of four plot threads, but it's still a major one. Plus the melodrama is a bit on the heavy side. Might still be worth a look because it's such an amazing anime otherwise though.

And of course, I'll also recommend Sola again. Won't go into too much detail on that since I'm pretty sure I covered my reasons for recommending it last time.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-04-26, 00:20   Link #11
Falkor

oh if you don't mind manga, the first thing you might want to check out would be Umino Chika's (of Honey and Clover fame) latest work: 3 Gatsu no Lion (March comes in Like a Lion)---thread at AS. can't really say that there's romance yet, but with deep characters comes good drama. and at times I found her work to be very romantic, figuratively speaking. by the way, the story is centered around a very young shogi player.

Flat (AOGIRI Natsu)
(M-U Link)
a bit slow you can say. there is no romance so far. but the story is centered around a high school student and his affectionate/caring/big-brother relationship with his 5-year-old cousin. it's interesting and yet moving, without having to be necessarily dramatic or overdone.

Akagami no Shirayukihime
(thread at AS)
one of my favorite romance manga. the heroine has to be the best female character I've come across. she is very strong, sincere, honest, optimistic and determined; and she also has goals and aspirations. it's not quite centered in romance, as much as it is in the characters and how they develop with each chapter. but when it comes to romance, it's simply sweet and yet innocent.

works by Sahara Mizu:

Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan (M-U Link)
Haven't finished it yet, even though it's 1 volume long. It has romance and a good amount of drama, too. it deals with someone sentenced to death penalty and how he overcomes his last days of life, while exploring his thoughts and feelings.

My Girl (SAHARA Mizu) (thread at AS)
my favorite work by Sahara Mizu. it deals with the theme of family. the story is centered around a young man and his daughter, and explores the joys and hardships of being a single father. a very nostalgic and yet melancholic work...

Bus Hashiru (M-U Link)
A collection of stories centered around bus stops.

Nanairo Sekai (M-U Link)
another collection of stories.
Old 2010-04-26, 02:06   Link #12
Theowne
耳をすませば

^ Thank you for that list (as well as the recs by all posters). While I have to admit I tend to gravitate towards anime (voices are important to me when I think of characters), I read through the first two chapters of your Sahara Mizu reccomendation and found it quite touching. It really felt cleansing to someone a bit sick of more common anime tropes. I do intend to check out the Umino Chika work, as H&C was a favourite of mine, though not for the romance in particular.

Regarding the anime recs, I also don't want to give the impression that I'm asking only for romance-centric stories (like Kare Kano). Series like Banner of the Stars which have other main plot threads but which contain a memorable pairing or something of the sort could be even better.

Old 2010-04-26, 02:16   Link #13
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Have you tried watching Aria? While it's not romance, there are few love stories, and it's generally a very pleasant series.
Old 2010-04-26, 02:23   Link #14
Theowne
耳をすませば

Yes, ARIA is one of those perpetual "ongoing" series of mine that I progress through occasionally. Pleasant is certainly a good way to describe it, or perhaps "antidote between stressful work".

Old 2010-04-26, 05:49   Link #15
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Have you watched Victorian Romance Emma? It's one of the most touching,subtle and sober romance I've come across yet. A love that crosses social boundaries may not be all that original however it's Kaori Mori's sensitive and realistic portrayal of characters bound and hounded by 19th century social customs/traditions that truly shines.

The anime's lovely but doesn't quite much up to the manga though with its richly detailed art and bold penstrokes.
Closed Thread