AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-04-14, 21:26   Link #601
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Hardy Heron (8.04)

Hi, all.

Has anyone played with Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) yet? I have been holding off on upgrading only because I don't have the bandwidth to do a full upgrade at this point, plus I have other events in my life which are coming up, and I kinda need working computers in the meantime. :)

As of this writing, its release date is a mere ten days away. And this one, for those concerned, is their newest LTS release, with Dapper Drake being their next-most-recent LTS release.

Look forward to hearing from you folks!

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 23:51   Link #602
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman View Post
Hi, all.

Has anyone played with Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) yet? I have been holding off on upgrading only because I don't have the bandwidth to do a full upgrade at this point, plus I have other events in my life which are coming up, and I kinda need working computers in the meantime.

As of this writing, its release date is a mere ten days away. And this one, for those concerned, is their newest LTS release, with Dapper Drake being their next-most-recent LTS release.

Look forward to hearing from you folks!

--Ian.
I've played with the release before the final beta and it was good. Lots of little differences like a decent bittorrent client instead of the POS they used to have. I feel that the effort has gone into the LTS instead of making something that is wow wow with huge changes. <- that is a feeling instead of an in-depth study.

For me I'll look forward to seeing how the upgrade works since I have a fully encrypted disk, of course after I've backed up

I've very excited!

PS you might be able to get the full release a few days early from the staging area

http://releases.ubuntu.com/.pool/

Just keep an eye on it and remember that there should be no other releases apart from the final
Old 2008-04-15, 00:05   Link #603
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Lots of little differences like a decent bittorrent client instead of the POS they used to have.
May I know which client are they using now? Is it Deluge?

Probably won't care, though. I promised myself I'd test-drive KDE 4 till the next release. I hope I'm not in for a world of pain.

BTW, IRJustMan: Hardy is supposed to be a "stable as a rock" release, hence the name. They're supposed to add few features and focus more on fixing the stability issues Gutsy had.

Me, I like living on the fast lane. That's why I'm getting KDE 4

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 00:53   Link #604
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Ubuntu + Fluxbox is awesome.

Except I can't copy and paste to and from terminals (through control-C and V). Does anyone have any ideas about that? Those two shortcuts are in fact in the shortcut-key file, so I don't know what exactly is wrong.

I'll be wiping my laptop soon into 8.04 and that would probably work then, but I'm just curious.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 01:05   Link #605
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
May I know which client are they using now? Is it Deluge?

Probably won't care, though. I promised myself I'd test-drive KDE 4 till the next release. I hope I'm not in for a world of pain.

BTW, IRJustMan: Hardy is supposed to be a "stable as a rock" release, hence the name. They're supposed to add few features and focus more on fixing the stability issues Gutsy had.

Me, I like living on the fast lane. That's why I'm getting KDE 4
It is Transmission. Looks pretty good, but tbh I haven't tested it yet. I've been deluging since KN did that post about it a while back.

The changes with Nautilus and gvfs (I think that is what it is called), looks good, but I'll spend more time on getting the feel of it properly when the final release is out

@claies - try control shift c and control shift v
Old 2008-04-15, 01:09   Link #606
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
It is Transmission. Looks pretty good, but tbh I haven't tested it yet. I've been deluging since KN did that post about it a while back.
Nice, Transmission. I thought it was an OS X-only client but if it's also a Linux one it'd probably explain why I see other Transmission users every now and then. The client has come a very long way since its beginnings, particularly in the UI area. The last update made some massive changes in terms of flashiness. I'd imagine that the OS X and Linux versions look a bit different but it's a great client overall. I haven't been missing uTorrent as of a few months ago, and I haven't opened Azureus since around then as well.
Old 2008-04-15, 02:54   Link #607
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

This is, as IRJustman said. LTS release and it will be supported for 5 years.

What I noticed first when I installed beta, the overall speed of connecting the server via ssh got slower than the previous version (I would say...lagging).... Maybe this is due to upgrade issues or bugs.

*sigh*

I will reinstall and reconfigure and will see what happens..
Old 2008-04-15, 02:59   Link #608
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
This is, as IRJustman said. LTS release and it will be supported for 5 years.

What I noticed first when I installed beta, the overall speed of connecting the server via ssh got slower than the previous version.... Maybe this is due to upgrade issues or bugs.

*sigh*

I will reinstall and reconfigure and will see what happens..
Was it a fresh install and I'm guessing since you said 5 yrs you are on about the server edition. The reason I ask is a main cause for slowness with SSH is the size of the keys. If they changed the default key size to something big, then it might be noticeably slower.
Old 2008-04-15, 03:02   Link #609
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

Possible. But I am more inclined that this is a bug on upgrade..... (Yes not fresh install. My mistake and laziness)
Old 2008-04-15, 06:56   Link #610
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
Possible. But I am more inclined that this is a bug on upgrade..... (Yes not fresh install. My mistake and laziness)
Ah with an upgrade I'm guessing the keys will not be recreated, so I think it is a bug too. Well they have < 10 days to sort it out
Old 2008-04-15, 14:03   Link #611
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Whee, I was distracted and not really paying attention to Hardy Heron ... I've acquired a spare laptop and am interested to see if it "unbuntu's" well --- I'll set it aside for the release.
Old 2008-04-22, 16:43   Link #612
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

It looks like PulseAudio is still a pile of steaming poopoo according to some bug reports I've been seeing lately. Fortunately it seems ALSA is still the default choice, but I'm wondering why they decided to include PA directly with the Hardy release. Nothing wrong with saving a few megs and leaving it in the repos, is there?

Old 2008-04-22, 18:32   Link #613
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

PulseAudio supports networked audio distribution. It appeared in Fedora 8 and doesn't seem to interfere with my workstations' audio. I suppose if I ever have a big party it might be nice to distribute sound around my house over wifi, but I don't see that happening soon. Still I haven't seen much effect from having pulseaudio on my F8 systems running KDE 3.5.9 and ALSA.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 18:36   Link #614
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

The bugs I see have to do with audio stuttering under heavy CPU load (especially noticeable in old CPUs, of course), speculations pointed at PulseAudio's arbitrarily small buffer size. I don't know much about the technicalities of the issue, but the bug was confirmed several times at Launchpad, and I saw someone at Slashdot saying that he had been having problems with PulseAudio in Fedora, too.

Old 2008-04-22, 18:53   Link #615
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I did a routine update of my VMs and the Kubuntu one broke. I guess there was a kernel update recently - GRUB tries to load it and I get an error 15. What was the fix for that business again?

Kubuntu's updater has also been tripping on itself - it'll inform me that there are updates ready, so I click it and then it tells me about how there's already an instance running (or some such thing). Not sure if it's misbehaving due to the VM environment but Fedora has been a bit better thus far.
Old 2008-04-22, 19:02   Link #616
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I did a routine update of my VMs and the Kubuntu one broke. I guess there was a kernel update recently - GRUB tries to load it and I get an error 15. What was the fix for that business again?
I fixed that by loading up the Live CD, mounting the root directory and manually fixing GRUB. The way you configure GRUB is a bit confusing, but it's not at all hard once you've got your partition table in order.

BTW, that's a weird problem. We haven't received such complaints at our local mailing list during the last kernel update--I suspect it has to do with the VM software itself.

Old 2008-04-22, 19:11   Link #617
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Upgrade to Hardy Heron update

Hi, all.

Upgraded Nanoha, my local fileserver, to Hardy. It seemed to be a stroll in the park other than the fact it had a buttload of files to download.

The biggest problem I have with it is that it was just about to gank one program I have used for many years, packaged as "ncftp2". The only real problem it has is that it can't transfer files bigger than 2GB. Yes, they say that "ncftp" (which is NcFTP 3.x) is "better", but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I absolutely HATE its interface, both in-program and from the shell prompt.

*sigh* Guess I need to keep a deb handy since it's been removed for Hardy, which REALLY ticks me off!

Meanwhile, upgrading my Linux desktop which runs Kubuntu.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 19:24   Link #618
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I fixed that by loading up the Live CD, mounting the root directory and manually fixing GRUB. The way you configure GRUB is a bit confusing, but it's not at all hard once you've got your partition table in order.
I hate configuring GRUB. I remember when I first tried to use Linux seriously (OpenSUSE) I had to go over the GRUB configuration manually because it was choking on a drive connected to an ATA expansion card. I was never successful - had to do the install that that drive disconnected for it to work. Bah! What ever happened to GRUB 2.0? Has development completely stopped on it? The features it promised sounded so miraculous compared with the current GRUB!

I'm not sure how I'd edit the GRUB config file from the VM, either; I can mount ISOs but it boots the OS pretty much instantly. Hmm, maybe run the update and then fix GRUB before rebooting...?

I don't actually know that it's a kernel update causing this - I think I had 60+ (maybe 100+) updates waiting for me since I haven't opened the Kubuntu VM in a while. Could've been anything. I'm wary of running that many updates at once because invariably something is going to get messed up and I won't know what it was, but it's largely unavoidable. I've reverted the Kubuntu VM back to before those updates, but I guess I'll stick with Fedora as my main Linux for now. Hopefully it won't run into the GRUB issue either...
Old 2008-04-22, 21:49   Link #619
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

I believe the development of GRUB 2.0 is currently on alpha. You can download it and try it. But I see no documents are ever done yet.

I am kinda confused to what you said about GRUB problem. You mean that the VM does not allow you to boot via liveCD?

For the updater problem, I see this happens to users who use KDE as their X-window environment. Try....

dpkg --configure -a

Btw, reinstallation of Ubuntu fixed ssh problem for me. That was just weird.
Old 2008-04-22, 22:05   Link #620
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

@Ledgem
I'm guessing that the kernel module for your VM wasn't built for the kernel you're now using. (I've had this problem with VirtualBox when the kernel was automatically upgraded.) You're probably faced with compiling the module yourself (if the source code is available like it is for VirtualBox), reverting to the previous working kernel, or trying to find a new binary module that's compatible with the new kernel.

Frankly, I'd go the reversion route. Most kernel updates are fixing obscure security or other problems that my machines won't ever face, or they're adding new features that I don't need. I don't let Fedora upgrade the kernels routinely (by excluding them in the fedora.repo file) because too many things like VMs or video drivers can break.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, ubuntu