Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-12-13, 15:57   Link #1001
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellessarr View Post
no mater of how you try to put the big jerk here still being haruki, the girls acted much more logical and reasonable than him, haruki was completly selfish and coward, he just choose what he thing was the "most easy choice"(accept the girl who he dont like but like him cuz in case of he finally at one point decide to give up touma he alread have a "backup girl" and tried to keep touma close to him maybe until he have courage to confess or make her fall in love for him), he was the one who dont wanted to "move one" in his life, while the girls tried to do this.
Nah, you aren't doing Haruki's character justice. Assuming that he loved Touma ever since he first met her and has known his feelings since before the beginning of the series (which is easily contestable btw)...

1) Haruki being selfish and coward
Now this is flat out wrong. Remember episode 3, Touma's description of Haruki is pragmatic, prepared, risk-adverse, and unadventurous.

Now assuming that he wrote the lyrics to Todokanai Koi because that was what he truly felt towards Touma, he would like 'his feelings mirrored back to him', that he would only really 'begin his love' once the 'fog has risen and his answer is clear'. Meaning that, as per his character, he won't take that big step asking Touma out unless he for sure knows that she likes him back.

2) Haruki accepted Setsuna's confession even when he didn't like her, using her as 'backup girl'
If he didn't even have the smallest inkling of being attracted to Setsuna, there is no way in hell would he liken her to a flower. I mean really, this 'Hana' business is the BIGGEST reason why we have this trainwreck right now, and there is absolutely no way I will accept that Haruki doesn't like Setsuna romantically in some way, shape or form.

(Interestingly enough, upon review of the earlier episodes, seems that Touma misunderstood that Hana > Yatsu. More like Yatsu > Hana in Haruki's eyes if you go with the assumption that Haruki is aware of his feelings towards Touma for a very long time, because Haruki has only ever referred Yatsu to Touma, and on multiple occassions he sang praises of her character while referring to her as Yatsu.)

3) Haruki was the one who didn't want to 'move on' with his life
Assuming that Haruki fell in love with Touma at first sight, the way I see it, Haruki was trying to catch Touma's eye for at least 6 months (remember all the flashbacks where he was being annoying to Touma with class rep stuff?) WITH NO CLEAR INDICATION THAT SHE LIKES HIM BACK before he accepted Setsuna's confession. Even at the end of episode 6, the night before the concert, Haruki says 'is it just me or you [Touma] were never that nice with me?'

So if anything, him accepting Setsuna's confession is his way of 'moving on' from Touma. There's this very nice pretty girl who seems head over heels for him, while the girl he has liked for half a year still doesn't seem to bat an eyelash towards him. Using his pragmatic head, he probably thought it's time for him to move on, since this might very well be his only chance with Setsuna.

Of course, what the head says and what the heart feels can be totally different, and his heart starts overpowering his head once the realization that 'Touma can get a boyfriend' hits home. Then all hell breaks loose once he realized he can't even be friend with Touma anymore because she is moving abroad, which leads us to our current situation. So you might even say that Haruki trying to 'move on' is actually one of the biggest reasons why we have this love triangle right now; it's not that Haruki does NOT WANT to move on from Touma, it's that Haruki CAN NOT.

4) Haruki being 'insecure' about him being not good enough for Touma (ie. the 'loser' line)
I really do think this is a very big misunderstanding; a lot of people here think that because Haruki has naturally low self-esteem, which isn't what was shown for the entire series, so it must be something else.

The answer? He refers to himself as someone Touma wouldn't like because he was a 'tsumanai otoko', which can mean a lot of things.

But remember, end of episode 4 where Touma said that she'll make Haruki become a 'kakui otoko', which most probably refers to his guitar playing. And while Haruki did eventually be able to do the guitar solo, it's still not good enough for Touma as Touma did say that only the beginning of their concert was good (middle of episode 7), which obviously means she wasn't happy with his solo perfomarnce. Even at the end of the episode 8 where Haruki mentiones that Touma turned him into a 'kakui otoko', she shots him down yet again.

So no wonder Haruki thinks himself to be a 'tsumanai otoko', no?

5) Haruki uses the 'threesome friendship' to keep close to Touma after going out with Setsuna
Biggest problem with this theory is that Haruki did NOT want to do the onsen trip partly because it's an overnight stay with a guy. So in the very beginning, it wasn't like that. Even the beginning of episode 9 has had Haruki say that they should just leave Touma alone for a while.

Turning point? Middle of episode 9 where Touma plays, and Haruki is reminded why he fell in love with Touma in the first place (if you didn't know, it's because she is a 'kakui yatsu'). From then on Haruki does a 180, always trying to get Touma back in his life, as even Setsuna jokes about it by mimicking his previous line. It was at this moment where he started to, as he aptly puts it, 'running around in circles, unable to give up' on Touma.

So, a character this well developed and this complex is like your typical cliche male harem lead? I would answer to that as a 'HELL NO!', and that's not going into the fact that by middle of episode that it is clear he has chosen ONE girl to go for now.

Of course, all this is rather moot, because the ending to this series (or at least the first season) is that Setsuna wins by default. We've been already spoiled in episode 1 'future flashbacks', but only now with the most recent episode did we have the context to understand it. Touma will start to leave in the airport, but Haruki will try and stop her by hugging her as Setsuna watches them (I have a feeling that Haruki will feel guilty of trying to see Touma off but Setsuna would actually be the nice one and tell him to go see Touma anyways). Touma will reject him by pushing him away, and as Haruki watches her plane fly away, Setsuna comforts him by hugging his back.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-13, 17:35   Link #1002
Tenzen12

1) Risk-adverse and unadventurous... You know actualy these words can be used on any coward out there. This is by no means counter-argument.

2) I agree on this point, Setsuna is good looking and nice. There is very little chance Haruki wouldn't be atracted toward her, but hey would Haruki be any worse person if he picked unatractive gal as his back-up girl instead beutiful one? Whether he is atracted or not isn't realy issue as he doesn't have any particular romantic feelings above that.

3) Actualy I do agree on this point almost unconditonaly. Where "almost" means fact he let his heart overpower his reason and let it lead him act selfishly and irresponsibly. Weak character isn't excuse .

4) No problem here

5) His words contradict his actions though. He says they should just let her alone for while, yet visiting her everyday. Trying call her often ect. He might try move on from his romantic love by accepting Setsuna, but he NEVER wanted to be mere friend with Touma.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-13, 21:57   Link #1003
Ringil

To be honest, I think Setsuna is the one to blame. The way I see it, she asked Haruki out mostly because she wanted to preserve the status quo of it always being the three of them. And she made it worse for Haruki by proposing the onsen trip.
Ringil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 03:31   Link #1004
ArrowSmith

I still fail to see the point of having Touma have huge breasts.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 05:15   Link #1005
Key Board
Carbon

The same reason we have Setsuna undressing scenes and close up to Kazusa's chest?

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 06:34   Link #1006
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

And why do you need a point?
just assume that all of her carbohydrate from eating sweets went to her chest...
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 11:59   Link #1007
Key Board
Carbon

This episode had everything

more flashbacks
and all the until now previously hidden Kazusa PoV scenes
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2013-12-14, 12:16   Link #1008
Wilshere

Its a train wreck alright.... even though I know what will happen. Still, it was entertaining.
Old 2013-12-14, 13:36   Link #1009
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

get ready to cry and prepare a stomachache medicine....
I think the last scene of the "yuki ga toke soshite yuki ga furu made" is not clear enough though... but hopefully it could sent enough information to the watcher too
I'm surprised to hear 'kokoro wa itsumo anata no soba ni' in the flashback... still it was nicely played using strings...
and the scenes played one after another for every month, the hidden scene of Kazusa, the hidden feelings of Kazusa with some lyrics from after all -yudzuru omoi- which shows her situation too being shown (koi shiteta kimi to ita natsu ha owari, and modorenai kimi to ita aki wo omou)
this is really what I had hoped, a scene for Kazusa only... all of the flashbacks and all of her hidden feelings show all of her emotion, how she actually couldn't really hold her feelings but still didn't want to betray them and hold it by herself, how she actually feel looking at Setsuna and Haruki together, how she was so hurt seeing it, how she is so serious in her love

another 2 episodes, hope for all better things to get a next season to be animated
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 15:16   Link #1010
Mentar
Banned

Grand, grand episode. Brilliant scriptwriting, very credible execution. Explaining _everything_ up to now, and tying all loose threads together. This, my friends, is great storytelling.

Now to see how things shake out...
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 16:23   Link #1011
Lyase

Lyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 16:26   Link #1012
Key Board
Carbon

Imagine if Setsuna wore a blue or black coat
Old 2013-12-14, 16:45   Link #1013
bones

So to recap, the honor student who never takes unecessary risks lost what he really wanted as a result. That's really a bitter pill to swallow.
bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 16:56   Link #1014
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
So to recap, the honor student who never takes unecessary risks lost what he really wanted as a result. That's really a bitter pill to swallow.
That and the prodigy that was never honest with herself and this has resulted in this triangle that is now falling down... and down... and down...
Old 2013-12-14, 17:01   Link #1015
Ringil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
I still fail to see the point of having Touma have huge breasts.
Hey in the game, Setsuna also has uncomfortably large boobs, but they downsized it for the anime.
Ringil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 17:19   Link #1016
Circlebutton
Occasional Occasionalist.

This episode made me pause the movie player and strum the chords for Todokanai Koi until I forgot I was watching it...
Old 2013-12-14, 18:02   Link #1017
velocity7

Wow, they managed to cover a lot of the missing parts from the game up until now in this one episode alone. Excellent so far, it's too bad the suspense is lost on me as I've already played the game.

Endgame coming soon for introductory chapter I think?
Old 2013-12-14, 18:08   Link #1018
Arya

Ok, this episode had all I wanted to see from a show like this. Now I can even stop watching romance anime
No, seriously, great episode. I would have preferred a more straight and chronological narrative structure instead of having everything at once, I prefer collect these precious moments here and there along a series to fully delight each of them, but whatever.
Apparently the drama is knocking at the door now and I'm quite curious on what will happens next. So she will really go abroad, won't she?
I surely forgot, but what was that letter we saw on the armchair together with the English grammar and the harmed stuffed dog?

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 18:49   Link #1019
Circlebutton
Occasional Occasionalist.

The suspense may be lost for VN readers but I still immensely enjoy how it's adapted. There's a lot of nice little details they do. Really loved it when they perfectly used partial lyrics to 'After All -Tsuzuru Omoi-' accompanied by a lone piano melody to separate the seasons. The visual and audio cues they sprinkle for the TV series is just mental. The series of flashbacks doesn't only fill in the gaps, but also works as a way to show Kazusa's pent up feelings before it all gushed out on that sidewalk.

I think my heart melted seeing how overjoyed Kazusa was upon finding her grammar book in the middle of the rain

Here's a translation of Haruki's note from baka-tsuki:
Spoiler for Haruki's Letter:
Old 2013-12-14, 19:07   Link #1020
Birdway
Banned

Spoiler for Dat kiss:
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, love triangle, musical