Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-05-03, 23:23   Link #21
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Did you even read the thread? She already tried Sono Hanabira.
Even the latest?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 02:24   Link #22
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Yeah, but it's really not for me. There's too much sex in it, for starters. Nothing seems to strike a real good balance in that regard.

It's not that I need to see the sex happening. I'm not single, it's not like sex is hard for me to get. I'd just like to know it's happening, even if it fades to black. Which is what happens in my own writing.

It's there. The characters are explicitly involved romantically. It happens, it's even referenced, or implied, or outright stated. It doesn't need to be explicitly shown, though visual mediums are usually better about this as written sex scenes can quite easily turn into IKEA Erotica.
Old 2013-05-04, 05:27   Link #23
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Wait... so sex is a requirement? But it has to be deep and romantic too? In the same gender?

Oh boy, that's kinda hard. Doubly so for yuri writing. I've seen good shoujo-ai manga(because there isn't sex and I'm still sticking to my own label scheme). But that's like only one or two. I agree that deeper romance is interesting and it creates more tension to get both parties to admit their own feelings than for both parties decide that they need to suck mouth and touch- *whoa there compadre!* well you guys know what I mean.

I think the best way to narrow things down is to look through female yuri authors first. I'm guessing for guy authors that it's difficult to write about yuri without experience of being female or having a base to work around. So if it's a guy author, you'll most likely get the anime stereotype cut-out.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 07:42   Link #24
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Ah, I believe I have been misunderstood.

No, explicit sex isn't required, as long as it's implied!

I've been burned way too many times by yuri any sort of media that did not actually contain any yuri. I really don't mind if it doesn't actually show the characters in the act, just that the story actually acknowledges the couple as being sexually involved with each other.

A lot of yuri doesn't do this, all of that Class S Friendship bullshit. I swear, nothing makes me rage harder than yuri with no yuri in it. Except maybe characters who don't act like real people.
Old 2013-05-04, 08:30   Link #25
NoemiChan
Banned

Sugar's Delight > NSFW (Will definitely play...)

Kodoku ni Kiku Yuri > General Age (Will never play it...)
Old 2013-05-04, 09:51   Link #26
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I haven't played Katahane, but according to what I've heard the Yuri aspect is almost as optional and minimized as the "sex scenes" in Muv Luv Alternative.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 12:18   Link #27
MarkS00N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I haven't played Katahane, but according to what I've heard the Yuri aspect is almost as optional and minimized as the "sex scenes" in Muv Luv Alternative.
Well, I am yet to finish Katahane, but I think that isn't correct...
While earlier it seems to lack any yuri development, after some point and with exception of one end, the yuri is pretty dominant...

Though once again, as I've yet to finish it, I don't exactly know how dominant it is for sure...
Well, I am not a VN player to be honest (Fate/Stay Night failed to make me kept playing it afterall ) so I am not sure whether I'll ever finish it...

Though for OP, I think I'll suggest Katahane for you...
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 01:33   Link #28
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
do they exist

please tell me they do...

Edit:

Sorry, my attempt at wit failed and didn't receive much of a response.

I've only played a handful of VNs and most of them I don't care for much. I did play the major Key ones and some others, both H and non-H, and most of them are just shit-terrible.

ESPECIALLY the yuri ones--the characters are cardboard cutouts of anime/manga stereotyped girls with no real personality or depth.

The only VN I've played with people that even feel remotely like actual human beings has so far been Katawa Shoujo. Maybe it's cultural bias and I'm only saying this because I'm not Japanese, but really...

tl;dr version: Can I haz yuri visual novels with well-written characters (prefer H, don't care if non-H though)
Among the VNs I know of that comes closer to what you want is Aoi Shiro. Still have stereotypes, but they go a little beyond them during the story. But the translation is not perfect.

http://vndb.org/v710
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 01:44   Link #29
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Katahane is probably the only one I can think of.
There's also Aoishiro, that one's all age though so there aren't any sex scenes. I haven't read it so I don't know how the relationships are portrayed.
Old 2013-05-13, 02:46   Link #30
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
I think the best way to narrow things down is to look through female yuri authors first. I'm guessing for guy authors that it's difficult to write about yuri without experience of being female or having a base to work around. So if it's a guy author, you'll most likely get the anime stereotype cut-out.
SO TRUE. Yuri made by guys tend to be more fetish fuel on the "Girl on Girl is Hot" trope instead of actual romantic relationship.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 04:39   Link #31
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
SO TRUE. Yuri made by guys tend to be more fetish fuel on the "Girl on Girl is Hot" trope instead of actual romantic relationship.
Considering that my favorite yuri manga come from female authors, this is likely quite true. Though I do like it when there's actually yuri in the yuri, even if it's not explicitly shown--I just want it outright stated in the narrative that these girls are a couple and they do couple things. Like kiss and have sex. The things that most couples do.

I get really weary of yuri where it's entirely built upon subtext and nothing is ever confirmed or explicitly stated, nor is anything implied strongly. It seems to be done for various reasons, but I get tired of it. It's like the author is too afraid to outright state that their characters are in fact lesbians.
Old 2013-05-13, 04:51   Link #32
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
It's like the author is too afraid to outright state that their characters are in fact lesbians.
Sexualization of yuri couples.... It can't be help specially if they're too damn cute like in Sono....
Old 2013-05-13, 10:01   Link #33
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Considering that my favorite yuri manga come from female authors, this is likely quite true. Though I do like it when there's actually yuri in the yuri, even if it's not explicitly shown--I just want it outright stated in the narrative that these girls are a couple and they do couple things. Like kiss and have sex. The things that most couples do.

I get really weary of yuri where it's entirely built upon subtext and nothing is ever confirmed or explicitly stated, nor is anything implied strongly. It seems to be done for various reasons, but I get tired of it. It's like the author is too afraid to outright state that their characters are in fact lesbians.
Well, men authors' yuri tends to be more fanservice for other guys, while women authors' is for other women, lesbian or not. Most of it is actually shoujo. I never really liked shoujo before reading female yuri.
Old 2013-05-13, 10:02   Link #34
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Dunno....I find female writers make better BL too...
Old 2013-05-13, 10:09   Link #35
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I'm not really into BL so I wouldn't know. I do remember that somewhere in the forum someone complained yuri is usually more well written than yaoi, so... The grass is greener, I guess.
Old 2013-05-13, 10:10   Link #36
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
This has implications more terrifying than you might think.
Old 2013-05-13, 10:30   Link #37
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
I'm not really into BL so I wouldn't know. I do remember that somewhere in the forum someone complained yuri is usually more well written than yaoi, so... The grass is greener, I guess.
Meh...seems it's mainly question of effort rather than actual skill
Old 2013-05-13, 12:29   Link #38
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Meh...seems it's mainly question of effort rather than actual skill
The fact is that the male demographic isn't interested in Yuri as much as the female demographic is interested in yaoi.

Talented authors will rather focus on something that can give them more fame/money.

As a result eroge exclusively focused on Yuri are almost non existent with the "sono hanibira" series catering the majority of the scarce demand for it.

At any rate it would be probably better for Syn to read a female-oriented Yuri, but I'm not sure if those even exist in the Visual Novel scenario.

Quote:
Kinda ironic question: just how many BL works written by male authors have you read?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 04:31   Link #39
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Kinda ironic question: just how many BL works written by male authors have you read?
Besides Hetalia?
Old 2013-05-14, 05:52   Link #40
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

If you can speak Japanese, the first thing I'd recommend is Hakuisei Renai Shoukougun. After that go for Okujou no Yurirei-san. Seisai no Resonance is also an option, but it's more male-oriented fare.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yuri