AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2015-07-06, 13:53   Link #2661
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Guess this reveals why they removed all the 07th Expansion games at the same time they put up the minisite for them. I'm betting Higanbana and Rose Guns Days will both come to Steam eventually. RGD won't need any updates, but I'm interested in seeing what they do with Higanbana.
Old 2015-07-06, 16:58   Link #2662
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinamizawan View Post
I know this is kind of irrelevant and likely improbable, but is there a way to ask Ryukishi07 himself some questions about what-if type scenarios (like will Satoshi ever recover, or how would he make Keiichi and Satoshi interact with each other if they ever met)?
MangaGamer had a Q&A, but it's over now.
Old 2015-07-06, 19:40   Link #2663
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
I see. Is there a link to the answered questions then? Or is that something that died down and can't be seen now? Because I'm interested in seeing some answered questions if possible.
There might be a video on YouTube... I don't think there's a transcript. It was a live event at AE, was probably something you had to be there to enjoy.
Old 2015-07-06, 22:17   Link #2664
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
There might be a video on YouTube... I don't think there's a transcript. It was a live event at AE, was probably something you had to be there to enjoy.
I've read that someone video recorded it, and will be posting that shortly. If that doesn't materialize, I have all the written records from 4chan, Twitter, and reddit saved.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 23:59   Link #2665
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
I see. Oh well. No big deal.

I'm definitely interested in seeing the new dub when it comes out. And we'll finally get to hear Hanyuu's english voice. Who would you guys choose to voice certain characters for the new dub if you could? Are there any you would keep from the old dub? Any you'd change (and who'd replace them if so)?
I want them to start fresh, without any attempt to keep the old cast.

Spoiler for Voice actors:
Old 2015-07-10, 17:25   Link #2666
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Rika is too young for Keiichi.

Though I cannot decide if I ship Mion/Keiichi or Rena/Keiichi, I ship both...
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 19:16   Link #2667
Shikou
ex-Hinamizawa Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
Rika is too young for Keiichi.

Though I cannot decide if I ship Mion/Keiichi or Rena/Keiichi, I ship both...
Im not sure why anybody would ever ship Keiichi with ether Rika or Satako. Its just sickening.

Its hard who to ship Keiichi between Rena and Mion. Both of them have their reasons and deserve to be with Keiichi. I originally think Keiichi should end up with Mion until I read Atonement which made me gain reasons why Rena should be with Keiichi. Im stick in the middle here! I guess we should put them both in a mud fight or something. Seriously, who would win in a fight? Rena or Mion? Rena has her "must have" mode while Mion has guns!!
PS3 0/2 PSP cancelled
Shikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-10, 19:58   Link #2668
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Rika and Keiichi? Well, he said he meant when they were older, and they are only five years apart, but...
Spoiler for Umineko:
And also Rena+Keiichi=World Peace.

Anyway, all his talk about writing fan mail and stuff to the Mangakas and the anime companies gave me a happy feeling in my gut about the possibility of more 07th Expansion multimedia in the future. Let's all collectively send letters to every anime studio in Japan to show we're seriously interested you guyssss
Old 2015-07-10, 22:54   Link #2669
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
That reminds me: Isn't Bernkastel (or at least Frederica Bernkastel) supposed to be like Rika's other split personality? I could have sworn I once saw those 2 talking to each other in another dimension or something too. It's like they're 2 people in the same body.
I don't think it's a split personality, per se. In Higurashi, I always viewed it more as Frederika Bernkastel was basically the adult personality Rika expresses in order to maintain a childlike veneer when with her friends. They're both Rika, she just expresses herself differently depending upon who she's with.
Spoiler for Saikoroshi&Umineko:
...basically, they weren't two different beings, until they were two different beings.

Quote:
Which also reminds me: Would anyone else here approve of Dan Green (the voice behind Yami Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh! and Mewtwo from the Pokemon Special: Mewtwo Returns) voicing Mamoru Akasaka in the new dub? I know I would. I've already imagined it a lot this year already, especially now with the news about the new dub and all. He has a really amazing voice for voice acting.
Hadn't actually heard of him, so I had to look him up. His voice is fine, but it doesn't look like he's too active as an anime actor anymore- It seems his last role was in 2011.

Also, it hasn't been confirmed that they're dubbing the rest of the show. Sentai does a lot of sub-only releases, especially sub-only rescues. I think the only rescue they've done where they did dub the rest was Fate/Stay Night, and the only un-dubbed bit was the UBW movie, so that was substantially less work to dub than a whole extra series and some OVAs.

Quote:
And also, I agree: Rena x Keiichi = World Peace.
<3

Quote:
Which also reminds me: Has anyone else ever imagined Rena with longer hair (like not too long, but around Hanyuu's length in proportion to the rest of her body or so)?
She had longer hair in the episode of the anime where she appeared as an adult, but I dunno. Not sure if long hair suits her.
Old 2015-07-12, 16:45   Link #2670
GrAVit

Quote:
I'm definitely interested in seeing the new dub when it comes out. And we'll finally get to hear Hanyuu's english voice.
I know, right? I really hope they won't screw it up. lol
I don't watch dubs, never have, but I'm interested in any case.
Perhaps I should watch the first season dubbed just for the laughs.
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 16:46   Link #2671
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Wait a second, they're making a new dub?
Old 2015-07-12, 16:48   Link #2672
GrAVit

Quote:
Wait a second, they're making a new dub?
Yep, it would seem like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Higurashi's anime has been, once again, licensed. Kai, Rei, and Kira are coming over to the West for the first time. Maybe this will generate interest in Sui? Maybe they will gather a dub cast that doesn't suck.
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 16:49   Link #2673
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

That doesn't mean that it's getting a dub though.

They licensed and brought over Umineko but it did not have a dub. I would think that it's the same case here.
Old 2015-07-12, 22:55   Link #2674
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
That doesn't mean that it's getting a dub though.

They licensed and brought over Umineko but it did not have a dub. I would think that it's the same case here.
First of all, no dub has been announced. It's possible to go either way. Rescued properties from Geneon have both been dubbed or subbed. Shakugan no Shana and the Fate series has been dubbed past the original Geneon release, but Familiar of Zero's been released subbed past the first season.

NISAmerica were the guys who licensed Umineko, and at the time they licensed it, they didn't dub anything. Sentai, on the other hand, does both subtitled releases and dubbed releases. Who knows which this will fall under. Higurashi isn't quite as popular as Fate, though, so it's very possible they will not dub it. They didn't dub Familiar of Zero's other seasons, either.

However, Sentai is almost famously willing to listen to fans. They released Chuunibyo&OtherDelusions as a subtitle only release, but after fans requested a dub, the reprinted it with a dub in a matter of months.
Old 2015-07-13, 19:01   Link #2675
Shikou
ex-Hinamizawa Resident

A dub from Sentai is a 50/50 chance. Im surprised Diabolik Lovers got a dub (I would like to know what each VA thought while voicing the characters). I dont like Sentai dubs like I said before but sense I've seen this series one too many times in Japanese I wouldn't mind watching a new dub even if its from Sentai. I hope its good at least and not emotionless like the rest of their dubs :/

If there is no dub I would be surprised because nether Geneon nor Funimation fnished the series. I'd still get it tho.
PS3 0/2 PSP cancelled
Shikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 19:16   Link #2676
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikou View Post
A dub from Sentai is a 50/50 chance. Im surprised Diabolik Lovers got a dub (I would like to know what each VA thought while voicing the characters). I dont like Sentai dubs like I said before but sense I've seen this series one too many times in Japanese I wouldn't mind watching a new dub even if its from Sentai. I hope its good at least and not emotionless like the rest of their dubs :/

If there is no dub I would be surprised because nether Geneon nor Funimation fnished the series. I'd still get it tho.
Sentai's dubs are hit or miss. Their dubs of movies are usually really good, and they're some of the most expiramental out there, but usually they're amareurish and feel five years older than they are. They might do a good job, I think. Unless they get Steven Foster to write the script. Then we're screwed.
Old 2015-07-15, 22:51   Link #2677
magnum12

To be honest, I think the problem with the Genon dub was not so much the actors so much as it was bad directing. Looking at the cast, we actually had some pretty talented actors such as Grant George (if his performances in Disgaea are to be believed), Mela Lee (Fate Zero Rin), etc, giving further idea to faulty directing being at fault. Also odd that the dub got better around later arcs.

If Sentai is known for listening to its fans, then I say its time we let them know what we think in terms of suggesting a cast (to make the dub a success). Here's my picks:

Keichii: Grant George

Mion/Shion: Megan Hollistad (she actually did well for herself in Meakashi-hen)

Rena: Mela Lee (actually a talented actress if her other works are to be believed) or Sarah Williams

Rika: Stephanie Sheh.

Satako: Michelle Ruff or Cristina Valenzuela

Last edited by magnum12; 2015-07-15 at 23:11.
magnum12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 00:12   Link #2678
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum12 View Post
Keichii: Grant George
I haven't played Disgaea, but it's clear as day the only reason he played Keiichi was because their voices were similar, and he did a god awful job. I'm really against keeping him. He made a good Lancer, but so far that's been the only role of his I haven't hated.

Quote:
Rena: Mela Lee (actually a talented actress if her other works are to be believed) or Sarah Williams
There's a reason Mela Lee has played Rin in every Fate dub since it's first release, but I'm still not entirely convinced she's right for Rena. She came off as plain ditzy in the dub, and I wouldn't say that really improved as the series progressed. However, I haven't seen anything she's in other than Fate, so I'm not one to judge her aptitude for Rena.

I'm definitely against Sarah Williams as Rena- Her voice is very... Whiny? That's an incredibly harsh way to put it, I do actually very much like her performances but her voice is very childlike and frail, as least from what I've seen in Madoka and Yuki Yuna. She'd be a much better choice for Satoko.

Quote:
Rika: Stephanie Sheh.
Interesting choice, it might work, she's certainly experienced with lolis. However, her dark personality might mean trouble- There's a reason people found Ilyasviel overwhelmingly obnoxious in the Geneon dub. Maybe she's gotten better over time? Well, the UBW dub will be coming soon anyway.

Quote:
Satako: Michelle Ruff or Cristina Valenzuela
Fujiko Mine? I'm sorry, I'm so used to her playing sexy flirty characters or old ladies, so imagining her as Satoko is... Difficult. Cristina Valenzuala would be better as Rika, I think, though.
Old 2015-07-23, 17:33   Link #2679
st_nick5

So, just noticed that xPearse finished his Rei translation patch.
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/...i-rei-v11.html

Do we know if he cleaned up the translation, or is it still atrocious?
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-23, 21:43   Link #2680
magnum12

Note: Anything I mention Fate related (including casting picks) is purely based on Fate Zero.

Based on Madoka Rebellion's dub, Sarah Williams seemed to have improved. Kinda fitting given Sayaka's development as a character. Of note: Sarah Williams is known for voicing some rather crazy people, so I think she'd be able to do a good job with Rena's bi-polar nature. In regards to Mela Lee, I'm still more inclined to think bad directing was at fault due to her other roles (such as Rachel Alucard) turning out just fine.

You do have a point regarding Rika. Christina Valenzuela would make a good fit for her, seeing as she's the VA for Homura, a character that often gets compared to Rika. My reason for picking Stephanie Sheh is two fold. 1. Her reputation for being a western counterpart to Yukari Tamura (it might extend to voicing some of the same characters too such as in Kill La Kill). 2. If by some long shot Umineko ever gets dubbed, she's IMO amongst the few people who could do a good job with Bernkastel. On a side note, Christina Valenzuela is known for voicing some mentally broken characters, something that can describe Satako in Tatagoroshi-hen.

It's a shame the dub never got the 7th and 8th arcs. I was really looking foward to seeing how the dub handeled Takano's big reveal.

Last edited by magnum12; 2015-07-23 at 22:02.
magnum12 is offline   Reply With Quote