AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-05, 15:00   Link #21
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Hirano Aya seems pretty pumped for this role. She says in an interview that people will hear a new voice from her, that she wants people to be surprised it's her when they see the end credits.

Here are a couple of shots from the TAF live event that was mentioned earlier. She was interviewed about the show, then the "Twenty-faced Thief" apparently made her appear from a cloud of smoke, and she performed the ED, unnamed world, which comes out as a single on 23 April:

And here, from Aya's blog, are (l-r) the cast after the first recording session; Aya with Uchida Yuya, who plays the "Twenty-Faced Thief," and whom everyone on the set apparently calls "boss"; and Aya with "360," who does the OP.

As for the show itself, I have little idea what to expect. I'll just watch and react then. The director did Futakoi 1 and Kanban Musume, the writer did Major and KimiKiss.

Has the following summary been posted before (from this site, found via ANN):
"One night the Phantom Thief (the Gentleman Thief with Twenty Faces) steals a little girl. Her name is Chiko (Chizuko Mikamo). Until then, she had been a lonely girl. But that night , she embarks on a great adventure. Experiencing freedom for the very first time, surrounded by friends, finding a place where she can be herself, Chiko starts changing gradually. A string of bizarre events start happening, centering around the tremendous mystery called the "Legacy of the Phantom Thief" and involving people with pathetic motives. Chiko has to move on nevertheless...no matter how checkered her life will be. The "spiritual growth" of the dignified, innocent and beautiful girl, Chiko, (from the age of 11 to 13) is depicted in this action story that unfolds in a fast tempo. CHIKO, Heiress of the Phantom Thief is the first joint production between BONES (which produced Fullmetal Alchemist) and TELECOM ANIME (which produced Little Nemo and The Castle of Cagliostro--Lupin III)."
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 06:23   Link #22
DangerMouse

Nice, I can safely say I'm successfully hyped for this. Can't wait for it to start.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2008-04-06 at 06:34.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 15:10   Link #23
feRfe

フジテレビ 4月12日より毎週土曜日深夜放送
hoho it's airing in 2 days
Spoiler for pic:

The "spiritual growth" of the dignified, innocent and beautiful girl, Chiko, (from the age of 11 to 13) is depicted in this action story that unfolds in a fast tempo.

wtf no wai
she looks at least 16+ : (
feRfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 00:59   Link #24
duckroll
綺羅星★!

She definitely looks pretty young. I wonder what kind of role she'll actually play in the story. I hope it isn't just 22 episodes of her being captured, attacked, etc. ^^;
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 06:54   Link #25
blade82

why did they put in the trailer french texte
blade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 14:10   Link #26
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

They've put a decent version of the TAF trailer up on the website. Looks grand. Could have benefited from a more meatier audio track though. Is that Aya Hirano singing? It's okay I suppose. A bit bland for my tastes.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 19:51   Link #27
solomon

Yea the song sounds okay. The show looks quite nicely made though. I'll be looking forward to it, seems to have an old school feel to it.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 08:25   Link #28
ellifeedn
Thinker

Correct me if I'm wrong but the first episode did show, right?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 08:27   Link #29
Kaijin
かいじん

Not yet...in a few hours
Old 2008-04-12, 08:35   Link #30
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
That's normally not like BONES to get a voice actor to sing the opening theme. I wonder if they were coaxed into it by her backers or something.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 08:44   Link #31
Westlo
Lets be reality

^ Yeah I was surprised that Maaya Sakamoto didn't do the OP for Ouran tbh... has Bones had a va sing the op for anything else except for this and RahXephon?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 11:15   Link #32
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
^ Yeah I was surprised that Maaya Sakamoto didn't do the OP for Ouran tbh... has Bones had a va sing the op for anything else except for this and RahXephon?
i) Jyu-Oh-Sei's OP was sung by Koichi Domoto, who voiced the adult Thor.

ii) Atsuko Enomoto (who played Misaki) sang Angelic Layer's OP

Maaya also sang the ED for Wolf's Rain, obviously.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 11:45   Link #33
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
i) Jyu-Oh-Sei's OP was sung by Koichi Domoto, who voiced the adult Thor.

ii) Atsuko Enomoto (who played Misaki) sang Angelic Layer's OP

Maaya also sang the ED for Wolf's Rain, obviously.
RX's ED was also sung by Ichiko Hashimoto, the show's composer and the voice of Maya.
Old 2008-04-12, 13:41   Link #34
duckroll
綺羅星★!

It was really refreshing to watch something like this. The art direction, designs and colors were really retro, and the car chase was really well animated. A great throwback to the days before CG cars and stuff. Great motion. Overall it's a very promising start. Feels like the start of a fun light-hearted adventure novel.

Aya Hirano shouldn't sing though, the ED song is pretty awful. :P
Old 2008-04-12, 13:47   Link #35
aardvark

Yep, retro is the best word to describe it.

In tone and look, it reminded me a lot of those older european flavored anime from the 80s, which were so prominent back then, but mostly non existant now (a few exceptions, I know). If you were able to watch those kind of shows as a kid, this will be a nice dose of nostalgia
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 16:02   Link #36
duckroll
綺羅星★!

As far as animation staff goes, as expected this is pretty much a Telecom production. BONES animated the OP and the character designer drew the ED, but even then they were directed and storyboarded by Telecom. A pretty solid collaboration I would say.
Old 2008-04-12, 18:07   Link #37
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

OP

ED

And then the content itself doesn't really match either. It was pretty enjoyable, but Chiko is such an unbearable little bitch as she's introduced. I'm also not sure at all what's up with the ED.
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 18:11   Link #38
DangerMouse

The OP shows her getting to kick ass as well and so they'll have to develop her from where she starts out in the first ep to that, just like some of you guys were saying she'd eventually become an active character, awesome. That will hopefully be some nice character development.

I didn't watch much of the first half since I'll save that for when I can understand it, but I loved the feel of the second half even without the dialogue. Cool car chase action and interesting music.

The guy's great and yeah he still reminds me of the awesome Roger Smith. This show could be really fun.

I wish the OP was a faster and more fitting song to go along with the action adventure imagery.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2008-04-12 at 18:26.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 20:32   Link #39
apr
Pedestrian

Hirano Aya does sound different in this show. Took me 5 minutes to figure out who was voicing Chiko, but her panting gave it away!

All in all, I was disappointed, expecting more from Bones, I guess. It doesn't feel fresh to me, it just feels Lupinesque, or more like Detective Conan's Kaitou Kidd growing old and kidnapping rich little girls. It simply didn't excite me. Perhaps later episodes will be more interesting, though. Chiko herself is certainly cute enough.
Old 2008-04-12, 23:58   Link #40
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Yeah I was chuckling a bit at the ending too. It's not really outright bad, just really awkard sounding, especially the engrish.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, maturation, seinen, shounen