AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-08, 18:19   Link #1
Giglufer

Talking A realistic anime with a good male lead

I'm kinda new to this anime stuff and i was looking for anime that are realistic with a good story line and has a male lead. im looking for more of romance type anime either from year 2000 or higher. I wouldn't mind some comedy or action, but more focus on the main characters instead of the action would be nice. I would like to see the characters develop as the series goes on. I don't mind sad endings or happy endings as long as it was a pretty good plot. I always like feeling emotional during an anime Any help is greatly appreciated.

Some anime I really enjoyed:
KGNE
Suzuka
Kanon
Hantsuki
Shuffle
Ai yori Aoshi
Canvas 2
Da Capo
Lamune

Well thats all i can think of right now
Old 2006-07-08, 18:31   Link #2
Scorch

There's no specific male lead, but Honey and Clover is a great romance/comedy/slice of life anime with fairly realistic characters. Hagu's design bothered me at first, but the story is so well told that it stopped bothering me.

You might also enjoy REC. It's a short series about a romance between an aspiring voice actress and a salaryman.
Old 2006-07-08, 19:22   Link #3
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I second Honey and Clover. It has the best characterization I've seen in a long while (aside from Shingetsutan Tsukihime). Takemoto's a lead you'll grow to love, especially in the final episodes.
Old 2006-07-08, 21:07   Link #4
Giglufer

Well i forgot to post it but ive seen REC and it was awesome i really enjoyed that series too. But i havent seen Honey and Clover, so can you tell me alittle more about it before i start watching but try not to spoil . Plus if there really aren't too much realistic animes out there.. are there other suggested romance themes that are great to watch? Thanks for your replies.
Old 2006-07-08, 21:24   Link #5
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Just... check the Honey & Clover thread in the fansubs section (the first season thread I mean, it'll probably be around page 3 or more by now). Though really you should just go watch it, it's totally worth every second spent on the download.
Old 2006-07-08, 23:24   Link #6
Furudanuki

Since your "enjoyed" list contains quite a few that match my own, I think that you would like this series:

Aishiteruze Baby (Comedy, Drama, Romance) - Kippei Katakura is a high school playboy who will flirt with any girl he sees. But one day his life is turned upside down when his 5-year old cousin Yuzuyu shows up at his house after her mother had seemingly abandoned her. Kippei's family hands him the task of taking care of Yuzuyu until her mother returns, and he must learn how to become the "mother" that Yuzuyu needs. This series deals with some real-life issues and everything is not sweetness and light all the time, but on the whole this is an extremely heartwarming anime.
Old 2006-07-08, 23:42   Link #7
Scorch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglufer
Well i forgot to post it but ive seen REC and it was awesome i really enjoyed that series too. But i havent seen Honey and Clover, so can you tell me alittle more about it before i start watching but try not to spoil . Plus if there really aren't too much realistic animes out there.. are there other suggested romance themes that are great to watch? Thanks for your replies.
H&C is about a group of friends who are going to an art college. Three of them (Mayama, Takemoto, Morita) live together in an apartment. There's also Hagu, a prodigy related to one of their teachers, Shuuji. Yamada, a girl in the ceramics department also joins the group of friends. The relationships between these characters is the focus of the series. As time goes on, they have to worry about things such as getting jobs.

The college setting gives it a lot more flexibility than most high school romances. It's also a lot less idealistic - not all love is requited, and things don't always come to a happy ending. Also included are some great comedic moments, such as Death Twister, so it doesn't really sink into the depths of melodrama that KGNE does. Hagu's design is my only complaint about this show, as she looks too young in my opinion.
Old 2006-07-09, 09:48   Link #8
Giglufer

Thx for the replies, I'll look more into H&C and probably will check Aishiteruze Baby out and i wonder if there are any ongoing series that fit my list atm
Old 2006-07-09, 11:06   Link #9
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Currently airing? Hmm, you'd probably like Saiunkoku Monogatari. It's set in an ancient pseudo-china style city and has a lot of nice lighthearted comedy but with some minor action thrown in. It looks like it will pick up into more action later on, but the romance side of things is strong as well. Overall I love it, very nice series (and it has a really nice OP song too).
Old 2006-07-09, 12:07   Link #10
Giglufer

Talking

Thanks, I'll probably check that out as well. Are there any anime that are recently done that you might suggest?
Old 2006-07-09, 12:55   Link #11
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglufer
Thx for the replies, I'll look more into H&C and probably will check Aishiteruze Baby out and i wonder if there are any ongoing series that fit my list atm
The problem I have with recommending any ongoing series is that history indicates that there is a high probability the character who has so far been a "strong male lead" will suddenly turn into an indecisive loser or a complete jerk shortly afterward.

One recently completed anime that might interest you. It is very different from the other series mentioned, but you will have a hard time finding anything more "realistic".

Yomigaeru Sora - RESCUE WINGS - Genres: Drama, Military

Plot Summary: SDF pilot Kazuhiro Uchida is transferred to a rescue unit located at an airbase outside of a small town, ending his dreams of becoming a fighter pilot. Initially, Kazuhiro thinks negatively about his new occupation as a helicopter pilot, due to the difficult missions and the harsh discipline he receives from his seniors. However, over the course of his training, he begins to accept the job for what it is and becomes a true member of the rescue force.
Old 2006-07-09, 15:36   Link #12
DeathStrike
SLASH!

what are the top 5 anime to watch?
Old 2006-07-10, 18:27   Link #13
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Well, H&C is ongoing. I'll reccomend it, too! (the second season is currently airing)

The manga isn't finished yet, either.
Old 2006-07-11, 19:07   Link #14
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

honey and clover
mahoraba
Old 2006-07-11, 21:13   Link #15
Giglufer

Thanks, i'll look into mahoraba, but so far H&C does suit my taste and thanks for your suggestions
Old 2006-07-17, 10:09   Link #16
Arwyn

H&C sounds like a good fit, and you might also try;

Air-
straight romance/drama. A good series, killer ending. There is a shift in focus from the male lead to the female lead at the end of the series, but its done well.

Wind-
Another straight romance/drama/mystery. Male lead is pretty serious, and while it sort of looks like its going the harem route, it doenst really. Pretty serious storyline.

Shuffle-
This one is a harem, but unlike most of them, has a pretty realistic take on what happens after the male lead makes a choice (ie. not everyone is happy). Rest of the setting isnt realistic, there are some fantastic elements, but its overall a pretty good series.

RaXephon-
Very deep storyline and lots of character development. Where its sci-fi/mecha, its only a setting, the series itself is a drama and there is a very heavy romance theme running through the entire series thats very well done. Definately a "thinking" type anime, there is a lot going on and it examines a lot of serious questions about life and living. Very good series.

Saikano-
Scifi/romance/drama. Very good show, but not a happy one. Serious show asking some tough questions. Tends to be loved or hated depending.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime-
fantasy/drama/mystery/horror. A very good series, the male lead is well done and there is a lot of character developement as the story progresses. A bittersweet ending and the romance aspect tends to be subtle, but well done.

Ergo Proxy-
Currently running fansub. Scifi/drama/romance. Pretty serious show, lots of action at start, starts getting increasingly soul searching as the series progresses. Romance is very slow to develop, but looks like its got some potential.

Blue Gender-
Scifi/drama/romance. Lots of action to start, but the male lead is well done and beliveable. Good character development over the series, particularly the relationship between the male and female lead.

FMP-
mecha/comedy/drama/romance. Three series so far, Full Metal Panic (FMP), Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu (Fumoffu), and Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid. This one is a mixed bag. The first season is mixed genre, comedy, action, and romance. The romance is played for laughs, the male lead is a great soldier but has zero social skills. The second series (Fumoffu) is played strictly for laughs, its mostly comedy. The third series (Second Raid) is another switch, its played pretty seriously, particluarly from the romance angle. Kind of a mixed bag, but it can be enjoyable.
Old 2006-07-17, 11:31   Link #17
JarOfMayo

I would recommend Mahoraba as well.

Unfortunately it may never be "enough" to you since the Manga for it is much more complete and a tad bit darker in tone. If theres ever a day you have a chance to read it (whether it becomes translated or you learn JP), take the time to read it. Highly recommended.

I agree with most of the earlier recommendations as well, H&C, Air, Aishiteruze baby, rescue wings...

Seems you've already watched the majority of the good stuff. uhhh,mmm How about Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket?

I think you would love CLANNAD though... too bad no series/no clue when movie comes out yet... If you can play (and understand) the game you are in luck.
Old 2006-07-17, 14:46   Link #18
tkdtiger

I liked Now and Then, Here and There. I thought the ending left alot of questions, but for an anime with only 13 episodes it did really well. It's definately not for the faint of heart. I actually recently seen it at the request of my friend from Japan who thought my writing style was very similar. I'm writing a fan fic on this anime since I liked it so much : P, which I already started posting. I've only started the second chapter since I've been busy working on a novel I'm trying to get published.
Closed Thread