AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

Old 2010-07-22, 21:57   Link #961
RisArk

Goddamn, that's turbo-fast if I ever saw it.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 22:05   Link #962
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

You know, I wish someone would put out another dramatic romance anime that resonates with me the way Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu, EF, or Sola did... I think the last one that did that for me was the second season of EF in 2008. Someone give Oonuma another project along that line.

That being said, I'm also someone who likes to appreciate shows that actually do get made, so I'm not really holding that against this show too much. And to tell the truth, I really liked this first arc. It was very, uh... imaginative and stimulating if not entirely realistic. Not sure I would have appreciated that side of it quite as much were I still single though.

Also, I suspect I'd like the omnibus format a lot more if it was six episodes per girl instead of four... four felt really rushed. That and I to prefer the more Hatsukoi Limited or School Rumble style interlocking love polygon approach, but that's not easy to make from dating sim source material.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 22:12   Link #963
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, the "not easy to make" aspect of interwoven paths has me liking this "parallel short story" format a lot -- much less likely to end up irritating me. But yeah.... four episodes per story is a bit tight... though I'd worry about the writers being too comfortable with six episodes.
Old 2010-07-22, 22:26   Link #964
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Ultimately, the main character fails. But this is a romance anime, so that is to be expected. Since the girl is going to change every four episodes, and I assume he's always going to get the girl, it doesn't matter whether they fail or not. The final development of their relationship felt awkward, but this is a romance anime, so that is to be expected.

I want to say that I don't like this show and won't be watching, but I can't muster that much energy. It feels so generic and boring at times, but at other times it feels generic and mildly interesting. I'll continue to watch just to see the time skips at the end of the arcs, but I can already tell that this is going to be a very forgettable anime.

And did I miss what the sister's problem with his girlfriend was? Maybe I heard it and just forgot . . .
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 22:42   Link #965
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Ultimately, the main character fails. But this is a romance anime, so that is to be expected. Since the girl is going to change every four episodes, and I assume he's always going to get the girl, it doesn't matter whether they fail or not. The final development of their relationship felt awkward, but this is a romance anime, so that is to be expected.

I want to say that I don't like this show and won't be watching, but I can't muster that much energy. It feels so generic and boring at times, but at other times it feels generic and mildly interesting. I'll continue to watch just to see the time skips at the end of the arcs, but I can already tell that this is going to be a very forgettable anime.

And did I miss what the sister's problem with his girlfriend was? Maybe I heard it and just forgot . . .
Once a person has seen a few of these... yeah, repetition, deja vu, and predictability sets in for many. Once in a while though - there's a gem. Someone who hasn't seen many of these is likely to be more excited and entertained. Then there's the occasional desire for comfort and predictability even amongst the veteran viewer.
Old 2010-07-22, 22:57   Link #966
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Hotel scene: hoooly shiiiit.

Real shame no Hibiki arc though, she got my interest out of all the girls.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 23:03   Link #967
Lamar
Ippiki Ookami

Quote:
I'll continue to watch just to see the time skips at the end of the arcs, but I can already tell that this is going to be a very forgettable anime.
Yeah that's the only reason i'm going to continue watching it. i planned on dropping it after this arc, but i changed my mind. Might end up skimming through some of the episodes.

I would be surprised if i could actually remember the main characters name after the anime ends.
Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 23:13   Link #968
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
I found it felt pretty generic for the first couple episodes, but once they introduced the roleplay type stuff I was hooked. For some reason, when I watch this show, I end up thinking "There's no way I'd actually ask my girlfriend to do something like that... but I could if I wanted to." which makes it a LOT more fun to watch. At least for me.

I'm not sure why this particular show does that for me when most others don't... if I had to guess why, it would be that while this show isn't very realistic, it's just grounded enough to make the kind of thinking I described possible.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 23:31   Link #969
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

I believe there's this kind of pattern in galge anime where latter girls always get the attention more than the lead girl, and though the ending may probably sided the lead girl, but the real winner in that anime (in the eyes of the fans) is not the lead girl, but the other girls.

So following that trend, it should be Ayatsuji Tsukasa that becomes the "sacrifice lamb" for this series, and the direction of attention should then be focused to the other girls instead. But that's not how i see it in Amagami. Can't tell whether the first arc was meant to show Haruka as being the main girl or what, but they sure did a good job in "killing" her. Such poorly made arc ending for one of the best girl in Amagami, i really don't know what i should say anymore.

Imo, a love with a complete stranger (not a childhood friend, not from the same class, not living near, and doesn't have a blood relation) should deliver the best romance plot, and even more if the girl has a unique attitude/property within her (like being a school idol, or kaichou, or even a genius with weird attitude). Aihara and Eriko from Kimikiss is one of the best example for this. Have to say, the twisted development between both of them really gets my attention, so interesting to the point where i felt the relationship between Misuzawa and Kai/Kouichi were no longer significant to me.

Same should apply for Junichi and Haruka too actually, since they both started out as a stranger between each other (well not entirely a stranger since both of them did have a history between them years ago, but only Junichi remembers it), but after a proper introduction between both of them, things just went in weird direction, like back-knee kissing and ramen scenes... i feel abit sad coz Haruka deserves a better plot than this. There are other girls imo in Amagami that deserve to be "killed" with bad development and lame ending (obviously not Kaoru for sure), but it feels sad coz they just had to pick Haruka for this over the other girls.

Hopefully that won't be the case for Kaoru after this. I know i talked alot about her hair and her hair and her hair... but still, i'm clinging and hoping for good story development between Kaoru and Junichi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They're probably saving animation budget for Kaoru and her hair..
Haha. Maybe i should say, her hair worth more than her development with Junichi in the next episode, but then i still want to see a good story between her and Junichi.
And of course the hair in action...sexy hair needs moar attention yo..
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 00:03   Link #970
lionel23

Well I just finished watching that 4th episode, I thought it was really cute. Granted of course any of the arcs could be better if they had more episodes (ideally I would have preferred 6 episodes to give them more time over 4), but I thought the ending wasn't that bad at all. Definitely really cute and I love the roleplaying they were doing, the Christmas night scene was cute, being able to see more of Haruka's character and the main guys. I just can't wait for Tsukasa, Sae, and Rihoko; though Haruka definitely ranked up there too.

By the way, did anyone else feel an Ah My Goddess vibe with the two of them roleplaying and being lovey-dovey at the end? It totally reminded me of Belldandy if she were put into that situation, lol. Loved that, was just too cute.
lionel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 00:04   Link #971
ueXia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Once a person has seen a few of these... yeah, repetition, deja vu, and predictability sets in for many. Once in a while though - there's a gem. Someone who hasn't seen many of these is likely to be more excited and entertained. Then there's the occasional desire for comfort and predictability even amongst the veteran viewer.
Just when Amagami SS anime started, I was finishing reading the Kimikiss manga.
Man they have nice stories, I would've loved to have this omnibus format with the Kimikiss anime.

Let's wait for some smexhair action, that's all I'm thinking about right now
ueXia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 00:21   Link #972
lionel23

You people and your smexhair! Give me honor student or childhood best friend or shy freshman anyday! School idol wasn't bad either
lionel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 00:38   Link #973
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, shy freshman looks appealing as well.... (shrug) I'm fine with all the stories as long as they're entertaining in some way.
Old 2010-07-23, 00:49   Link #974
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Damn the entire hotel scene was so sappy and the flash forward was so cheesy I just had to laugh the entire last half of the episode. In a good way though.

But holy shit their married life is almost exactly how I had pictured them to be once they get hitched. It was almost brilliant.

Blog post later.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 00:51   Link #975
Wrath88
Kissing...

10 years and no children... oh wait, there are, two adult-looking ones. But honestly, 10 years seems too much of a timeskip. (Haruka's wedding photo looks nice)

^Just what Vexx said, as long as they entertain, it's fine. The only problem would be dealing with those haters here, perhaps.

Anyway, with the upcoming Kaoru arc, how about we theorize about how the other girls may appear? For one, I doubt we'll see much of Haruka, Ai or Sae in her arc. Rihoko is a possibility due to the childhood friend connection, and Tsukasa because she's in the same class. As for what we'll see, I'm not sure yet.
Old 2010-07-23, 00:55   Link #976
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Haruka seems to be the best catch coz not only was she the school idol, Junichi got himself a house as well (I'm assuming the very nice house was a gift from her rich family)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueXia View Post
Just when Amagami SS anime started, I was finishing reading the Kimikiss manga.
Man they have nice stories, I would've loved to have this omnibus format with the Kimikiss anime.
I now realise that that manga probably prepared me for this show. It was nice to read after watching the anime, but it WAS pretty out-there as a standalone.

Last edited by ID555; 2010-07-23 at 01:12.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 00:55   Link #977
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

ls this how the rest of the arcs going to be?
pointless banter for 2 or more episodes and then get to some seriousness followed by a seemingly rushed time skip happy ending?

Don't get me wrong the ending was ok, but it just didn't do it for me. There was nothing really there for me to feel attached or care when Haruka started her tear jerking confession.

l totally felt like "O'rly? keh,heh,heh,hah,HAH," *fart* at the end.

l know that the anime adaption of Kimikiss wasn't liked by many of it's fans, yet l would had prefered if this show would had taken the same path. Guess that would be impossible though seeing as this series has a bigger female cast?

Oh well, on to the next arc. here's hoping for a better outcome.
Old 2010-07-23, 01:00   Link #978
ueXia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel23 View Post
You people and your smexhair! Give me honor student or childhood best friend or shy freshman anyday! School idol wasn't bad either
So you don't know Nanasaki Ai huh?
Even I, "smexyhairomghotsh1tyesh" fanboy know that Ai's route is the hottest out there, but no point on saying it

Even her manga is ... WAW.
ueXia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 01:02   Link #979
karuroso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Hotel scene: hoooly shiiiit.

Real shame no Hibiki arc though, she got my interest out of all the girls.
I think they should make a version for these side characters like Hibiki and Takahashi-sensei =D

anyway, really liked this arc and it's a bit sad to see it end, because..well unlike Rihoko, Kaoru and Ayatsuji who are relatively close to Junichi and then having more chances to appear, in the end Haruka will almost disappear D= a bit sad to see this awesome Shizuka Itou role gone
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 01:09   Link #980
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post

l know that the anime adaption of Kimikiss wasn't liked by many of it's fans, yet l would had prefered if this show would had taken the same path. Guess that would be impossible though seeing as this series has a bigger female cast?
Who would be the main girl if they do it like Kimikiss? Haruka for me, not only did she is the prettiest and she is the only one that has blue eyes

and she reminds me of Mao too
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, seinen, shounen