Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-01, 08:59   Link #1801
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
One thing that I think helps Kanade (though it certainly can't explain all of her success) is that she's not a polarizing character.

In other words, I don't think she attracts anti-votes like some other characters do, because her character is innocuous even to those who aren't particularly fond of her.

I mean, I know for a fact that a fair number of girls in SaiMoe attract anti-votes, but I don't know anybody who is voting against Kanade, even with her being as popular as she is. She's a character that creates either positive fan sentiment or no sentiment at all, so she gets votes but not anti-votes.
iya, i'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who vote against her simply for her popularity

there are people who make it a point not to like anything popular, regardless of all other factors
Old 2011-06-01, 10:56   Link #1802
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
One thing that I think helps Kanade (though it certainly can't explain all of her success) is that she's not a polarizing character.

In other words, I don't think she attracts anti-votes like some other characters do, because her character is innocuous even to those who aren't particularly fond of her.

I mean, I know for a fact that a fair number of girls in SaiMoe attract anti-votes, but I don't know anybody who is voting against Kanade, even with her being as popular as she is. She's a character that creates either positive fan sentiment or no sentiment at all, so she gets votes but not anti-votes.
Obvious post but true. Also true for K-ON characters in terms of sales of anime and merchandise, probably was the case in voting in moe contents for 2 years previous but definitely not true this year.

And there are people that anti-vote Kanade. They just don't matter due to China and Taiwan votes.
Old 2011-06-01, 11:56   Link #1803
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I adore Kana Hanazawa, I'm just not sure why Kanade in particular is getting so much support. I like Kanade, but she's a bit bland. Charlotte is more playful and pushes the envelope on just how sweet an action girl can be. Nadeko is also playful, but her style involves more temptation and sexual tension than Charlotte's. Kanade lacks such a playful side, and hence strikes me as a bit bland.
I would prefer Kuroneko myself; she's probably more moe than all the other Kana Hanazawa characters combined save for Mayuri and Touko, but it seems the odds are against her. >.> I'm just aiming for one of her characters to win. ;p

Besides, when were these tournaments ever about personality?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-06-01, 15:04   Link #1804
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:

You'd be mistaken , I've been anti-voting Kanade since the beginning because of various reasons I ranted to Archon_Wing about before . [Though I suppose I started before ISML in Best Moe last year and putting her for worst character in Anime Choice on here ]
MAL
Old 2011-06-01, 15:21   Link #1805
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplipswich View Post
Moe doesn't have to be equivalent to playful and sexual etc. Kanade is because of the last episode which showed her true genuineness of moe. Kanade's more of the "adorable pet" type
I'm aware that playful or sexy aren't necesarily moe. The measure of moe is something like "Does this make me feel warm and fuzzy, like my brain just simultaneously melted and short circuited? To what extent does it make me feel that way?" I just find that "playful and teasing, but sweet" is one of the best ways to evoke that feeling.

All three characters under discussion here are petite and soft spoken, which I like. Kanade just feels blander than the other two and lacks their "makes me melt" factor. I love the last episode of Angel Beats, but more for its overall emotional impact than Kanade's moe. Whereas the scene of Charlotte asking Ichika to feed her because she's so bad with chopsticks does make me melt. As does Renai Circulation and Nadeko's attempts to tempt Araragi (because they really make me feel just how badly she wants him to fall for her.).

Quote:
And you know, shy and quiet girls are the new hip-and-coming.
If true, this apparently doesn't extend to characters from previous years because Kotomi Ichinose - my favourite shy girl and one of my favourite anime girls ever - didn't manage to make through prelims.

Quote:
I agree this is a factor, but how many people have you meet who hate Charlotte or Nadeko? They don't strike me as the type to get anti-votes either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I would prefer Kuroneko myself; she's probably more moe than all the other Kana Hanazawa characters combined save for Mayuri and Touko, but it seems the odds are against her. >.> I'm just aiming for one of her characters to win. ;p

Besides, when were these tournaments ever about personality?
Personality is incredibly important to ability to evoke moe.

I like Kuroneko too, although she's more of an A- while Charlotte and Nadeko are A+ for me. Kanade would be a B. That said, unlike with the other three, I'm pretty sure that Kuroneko has haters. Both because I've run into them, and because she can be pretentious and abrasive (which is part of her appeal - double edged sword there).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-06-01, 16:47   Link #1806
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
I agree this is a factor, but how many people have you meet who hate Charlotte or Nadeko? They don't strike me as the type to get anti-votes either.
Neither just deserve any hate...are they over-exposed characters (or from an overhyped series)? No. Annoying? No. Are they from series that people just love to hate (Cough...K-On...Cough...)? No. Do either have annoying fanbase? No...

Kanade do gets hate (Some people hate AB since it's so "popular" even though Bakemonogatari outsale it by a mile, but of course, AB is an overhyped/overexposed series...). Of course, looking at Kanade's number, you need LOTS of hate to even get close to Kanade, and non of her competition so far are exactly "Top of the top" material (Well, Mio is, but she did fall quite a bit...).

I mean, look at last 2 J-Saimoe and those annoying Saki characters that keep going into Top 8/Top 4. Pretty sure even more hate there but no one can stop them (Okay, fine, none of them went to final, but consider the competition in Semi-final...). Of course, don't make me start on their ISML record...

Quote:
I like Kuroneko too, although she's more of an A- while Charlotte and Nadeko are A+ for me. Kanade would be a B. That said, unlike with the other three, I'm pretty sure that Kuroneko has haters. Both because I've run into them, and because she can be pretentious and abrasive (which is part of her appeal - double edged sword there).
Meh, it's just that KN is overexposed lately due to the extra episodes. But then, if not for those extra episodes, most people would probably not realized that Ruri-chan is actually THIS moe...(She has always been my #2, but then, I read the novel, so...)

Until the day of Kanade v. KN (Which can happen whenever the ISML staff finally decide to group them together), though, both will continue to get my support...(Of course, I'm still divided whether to go with KN in the actual contest or Kanade...)
Old 2011-06-01, 17:11   Link #1807
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
You'd be mistaken , I've been anti-voting Kanade since the beginning because of various reasons I ranted to Archon_Wing about before . [Though I suppose I started before ISML in Best Moe last year and putting her for worst character in Anime Choice on here ]
lol hater. Want to switch titles?

Quote:
Personality is incredibly important to ability to evoke moe.

It's just a quip that sometimes popularity just becomes a larger factor than moe in these parts. And of course, voting/anti-voting that I myself can't say I'm above. But that's only because I often don't have any interests for the typical strong contenders and find most dull.

But on the other hand, I think being dull may be an advantage since those with really strong, in your face personalities tend to attract more hatred. Surely, I find Haruhi entertaining, but others mind find the same traits irritating.

And of course, there's the Kuroneko example you brought up. Kuroneko tends to not be easily categorized since she has multiple facets to her popularity, and thus can get a bit polarizing because she is a flawed character. I think she has style when she's mean and actually is fairly nice (and moe) when you get to know her better, but others might just think she's being a poser, lol.

Anyhow, I'll stop fanboying for the moment...

In other words, Kanade may be dull, but at least she's not obnoxious in most regards. And I suddenly want Mapo Tofu

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-06-01 at 17:21. Reason: Unreadable original post...
Old 2011-06-01, 17:36   Link #1808
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
lol hater. Want to switch titles?

In other words, Kanade may be dull, but at least she's not obnoxious in most regards. And I suddenly want Mapo Tofu
Maybe , and while Kanade wasn't that obnoxious so much as blanad; on the other hand... some of her fans while the show was airing sure were obnoxious at times , especially during the Tenshi clone thing >.>. Which really didn't help my opinion of her.
MAL
Old 2011-06-01, 17:43   Link #1809
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Maybe , and while Kanade wasn't that obnoxious so much as blanad; on the other hand... some of her fans while the show was airing sure were obnoxious at times , especially during the Tenshi clone thing >.>. Which really didn't help my opinion of her.
I really didn't see anyone acting that annoying.

And besides, you shouldn't hate someone or a series because of their fans. I mean if I did that, I'd hate.... actually I won't mention names here.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-06-01, 18:39   Link #1810
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
And besides, you shouldn't hate someone or a series because of their fans. I mean if I did that, I'd hate.... actually I won't mention names here.
There are annoying fans for every (slightly more popular) series anyway. The thing that matter is how many there are or even whether they overshadow all the "normal" fan of the series...

Quote:
But on the other hand, I think being dull may be an advantage since those with really strong, in your face personalities tend to attract more hatred. Surely, I find Haruhi entertaining, but others mind find the same traits irritating.
I'm a Haruhi hater, although with a different reason. Yes, I do find her annoying, but the main reason why I hate her is that b/c I'm a huge Nagato fan and cannot accept the existence of Haruhi in the way of a Nagato end . Of course, Haruhi being annoying doesn't help...

As far as character hate - there are also people like me who hate some girls without ever watching the series they actually appear in...(i.e. C.C., Saber/Rin, Fate T., etc. Didn't watch any of those series, just hate them b/c they appear in "popular" series that I hate for no reason...)
Old 2011-06-01, 21:30   Link #1811
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I could care less about the shipping aspect in Haruhi. Kyon can have Haruhi. Leaves Nagato free for the rest of us. I've taken a similar stance in FMP. "Sousuke can have Kaname. I want Tessa."
Old 2011-06-01, 21:32   Link #1812
HasuMasu
*Artist

hhmm, i'd like you to enlighten me, i'm one of those that tend not to hate things "for no particular reason", though i won't say i'm above hate

hating something "because it's popular" also makes me want to eat popcorn (i despise popcorn)

what's the logic behind hating something because of what other people think about it?
Old 2011-06-01, 21:40   Link #1813
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
hhmm, i'd like you to enlighten me, i'm one of those that tend not to hate things "for no particular reason", though i won't say i'm above hate

hating something "because it's popular" also makes me want to eat popcorn (i despise popcorn)

what's the logic behind hating something because of what other people think about it?
Because it's apparently "cool" to hate on something that's popular. It's a hipster attitude. I don't quite get it either
Old 2011-06-01, 22:08   Link #1814
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

Results are out and...sad that Kuroneko lost to Yuki...T_T

I'm surprised Eucli actually beat Yui...o_o

Kanade gave Charlotte a complete thrashing...5580 to 2956...

Tightest match was between Index and C.C. which Index won by 37 votes...oh well.

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
Old 2011-06-01, 22:19   Link #1815
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Wow, how many votes can Tenshi give and still win the necklace?
Old 2011-06-01, 22:31   Link #1816
HasuMasu
*Artist

previews out

i can't believe after all this time "osaka" had a name

EDIT: HINA WOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

the sadness brought by the hate houki attracts has been washed away
Old 2011-06-01, 22:34   Link #1817
hinakatbklyn

- I'm beginning to think Kanade could end up with the necklace even with 0 votes in the necklace round due to 7 other opponents splitting. I anticipated the highest Kanade could get with SDO was 102, and she got all of it thus breaking Shana's 2010 Diamond SDO record.

- Azusa > Ruri by around 100 in Aquamarine - Yuki > Ruri by close to 300? Not sure how that happened. Did the last Oreimo episode work against Ruri? That's my guess. Does that make Yuki stronger than Azusa?

- For some reason, the final episode also didn't help Kirino either. She also lost to Hitagi.

- Index > C.C. - Didn't see that one coming (I can live with that result)

- Hina is back to winning her matches.

- A closer match last Year, but Mikoto puts away Haruhi with ease this time.
Old 2011-06-01, 22:40   Link #1818
imbehindyou
turn around...

Quote:
Hi.
Now you meet at least one!

There are soooo many better characters that HanaKana voiced instead of the ones in ISML, but they are never going to make it even to prelims.

OTOH, about today's results.
Absolutely delighted to see Yuki and Hikari win.

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
Old 2011-06-01, 22:46   Link #1819
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Man, looking at the overall vote differentials, there are a couple of outliers!

There are definitely a handful of girls that are truly polarizing... people must either really love them or really hate them! There seems to be no in-between!
Old 2011-06-01, 23:15   Link #1820
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Bleh at results from of the yuki/kuroneko, saber/tomoyo, and yui/hellscythe matches , though happy about wins for Hitagi, Kyou, Kagami, Konata, Azusa, Fate, and Kuroko

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbehindyou View Post
There are soooo many better characters that HanaKana voiced instead of the ones in ISML, but they are never going to make it even to prelims.
I am looking at you Touko, Mikan, and Kobato , I seriously how do they never get in ISML any year . [And maybe Suou, Aoi, or Shiori] Also possibly Mayuri in the future . Though I like Kuroneko a lot and Sengoku decently[less than previously mentioned three].

Also lol the first Exhibition match's "theme"
Spoiler for might be a spoiler if you don't know them...:
MAL
Closed Thread

Tags
contest, isml, saimoe, tournament