baitokun
おまえさ…、心に太陽当ててんのか!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
really agreed with FTGT here...
Spoiler for ..:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Only the author knows an end. Now, any future is possible.
Spoiler for wolf and golden wheat:
I am reading past topics and lol-ed about this, really agreed about the "No Offspring!?" part
though I did found out on (maybe) volume 10, that after they met that ancient Sheep, one time Horo asked Lawrence to make her one so that she won't be alone. Fool Lawrence to not say YES! >_>

Looking from the OP and ED, they have Diane, Elsa, and Eib, for vol 3, 4 and 5. I m really looking forward to see the climacs on volume 5 being animated
baitokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 05:05   Link #742
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Are you mistaking a certain nun from volume 5 for Elsa, because I don't see her anywhere in the OP or ED...
judgment26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 05:54   Link #743
FTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The Germans spell everything with lots of Ks and they love David Hasselhoff.
Spoiler for Comic:
@Vexx:
Somehow I dont get the joke. Is it funny because the translation is completely bogus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riful View Post
oh, you mean because of "Kraft Foods"?
but yea, Kraft is a pretty common spelling, especially since Spice and Wolf seems to be set in (a fictional) Germany oO At least in the Anime you can see german texts a few times (letters and bills). Looks completely normal to me and it's a common family name (very rare first name, but exists).
Anyway, he's called Lawrence most of the time after all ^^
Well, "Kraft" in german can be translated as "power, force, energy etc.".
So, yes we use it quite often.... and its a really cool name by the way. But in case of food I wouldnt connect "Kraft" with cheese, but rather with Ketchup because there was a commercial for "Kraft Ketchup" in the 90s in germany that I can remember.

@Riful:
Wow... I thought I have seen some german Text-pieces as well, but I wasnt sure. ^^

PS: Yes we love the mighty Hasselhoff....
FTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 06:04   Link #744
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Maybe it's the fact that the title says, "Learn French as You Read the Comics".....

"Kraft" also reminds me of cheese. That and microwave pasta (which is abundant in cheese as well....).
Old 2009-07-11, 06:45   Link #745
baitokun
おまえさ…、心に太陽当ててんのか!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgment26 View Post
Are you mistaking a certain nun from volume 5 for Elsa, because I don't see her anywhere in the OP or ED...
looks like it you were right.
that would only mean maybe they ll leapfrog volume 4 and do 5 straight from Amatii story.
well, the pace will be not that fast then, with 2 volume for 13 episode just like season 1, so I wont complain
Old 2009-07-11, 18:47   Link #746
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGT View Post
@Vexx:
Somehow I dont get the joke. Is it funny because the translation is completely bogus?
As noted, the strip says, "Learn French" then proceeds to completely diverge with English subtitles unrelated to the terrible German. Its mostly funny to the minority of Americans who actually know any language at all outside of their own and feel they are mostly surrounded by a citizenry of idiots. There's two other sub-gags: 1) the Yogi Bear & Booboo reference plus Starwars.
2) The running gag that the Germans *love* David Hasselhoff -- which is the comedic sister to "The French worship Jerry Lewis as an Artistic God".

The under-gag is that I threw it in absurdly as only faintly related to the subject ---> that the Germans typically use "K" for the hard c/k sound.

This has been a report from your off-topic comedic analysis channel......
Old 2009-07-11, 18:53   Link #747
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
"The French worship Jerry Lewis as an Artistic God".
... Who?

Quote:
This has been a report from your off-topic comedic analysis channel......
Even explained... I don't get it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 19:57   Link #748
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay.... we're way off-topic and now I'm even sorry I posted the adlib...

Jerry Lewis -> http://www.jerrylewiscomedy.com/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Lewis

An American icon of mid-20th century humor -- slapstick comedian, director, producer, etc. Its almost certain you've seen a gag that was originated by or a parody of a Jerry Lewis moment. His form of humor became rather unpopular in America but the French continued to revere him as "brilliant".

The translation humor is quite similar to the intentionally unrelated translation humor in the Woody Allen film "Whats Up, Tiger Lily?" where the director took asian language action film and subtitled it with a synchronized but unrelated comedy script.

It may also help to know the two comic strip characters in the strip quoted are both flaming idiots and pranksters to the death.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-07-11 at 21:21.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 14:59   Link #749
Justin Kim
*Artist

I have a question. I heard the light novels series was liscensed. So does that mean there is an english translation/format of the Spice and Wolf series in America, and if so, how many volumes have been released in English?
Old 2009-07-12, 15:39   Link #750
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
I have a question. I heard the light novels series was liscensed. So does that mean there is an english translation/format of the Spice and Wolf series in America, and if so, how many volumes have been released in English?
Yes, the S&W novel series has been licensed in the US by Yen Press. However, there haven't been any volumes released yet. The first volume is scheduled for December 2009. YP's schedule currently plans to release a volume every 6 months after that.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 15:49   Link #751
Justin Kim
*Artist

Ah I see so the December coming up, I was rather confused because of New Years.
Old 2009-07-12, 18:32   Link #752
typhonsentra

I know I'm being "That guy", but is their any shot of getting volume 5 ahead of the show-equivalent episodes? I can accept watching the show instead but watching it first took a big hit on my enjoyment of the first book, not nearly as fun for me as 3 and 4 were.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 04:34   Link #753
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Given the short amount of time, plus the fact that there are practically no active translators working on Vol. 5 right now, I'd say probably not...a bit of a shame really. If season 2 only covered volumes 3 and 4, with a third season covering volumes 5 and on, there might've been enough time to keep the translations ahead of the anime...
Old 2009-07-14, 11:24   Link #754
Justin Kim
*Artist

I hope Spice and Wolf does get a third season. This series is really addicting. I remember when it first came out, I just thought: "Ugh probably one of those boring animes with a generic story plot in which a peddler just merchants all day with a wolf." This series actually caught me by suprise when I tried it out. Indeed, the story line was brilliant, and the production team/author of this light novel series sure did his or her's research.
Old 2009-07-14, 15:23   Link #755
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgment26 View Post
Given the short amount of time, plus the fact that there are practically no active translators working on Vol. 5 right now, I'd say probably not...a bit of a shame really. If season 2 only covered volumes 3 and 4, with a third season covering volumes 5 and on, there might've been enough time to keep the translations ahead of the anime...
Gotcha, at least the first story was covered and I guess I can see how they can skip 4 without any problems, it seemed fillery even though I enjoyed it personally.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 22:17   Link #756
baitokun
おまえさ…、心に太陽当ててんのか!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Gotcha, at least the first story was covered and I guess I can see how they can skip 4 without any problems, it seemed fillery even though I enjoyed it personally.
yep, looking from the op and ed they will skip novel volume 4 and go to volume 5.
the climax on volume 5 is really fitting to be the end of season 2.

with this pace with 2 volumes per season, they can make 3 more seasons of S+W with 6+8 as season 3, 9+10 as season 4, and 11+12 as season 5 we can only dream ^^
Old 2009-07-15, 20:42   Link #757
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Guess we just have to wait approximately every 6 months for an english volume. . 1st volume in December. (Can't wait).
Old 2009-07-16, 06:45   Link #758
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

I suppose I can put this here...Anybody ever thought of seeing what's out there for Spice and Wolf fan fics?

http://www.fanfiction.net/anime/Spice_and_Wolf/

10 stories.

The top 3 are still in continuation. Check 'em out if you need more Horo between new episodes.
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 08:03   Link #759
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitokun View Post
yep, looking from the op and ed they will skip novel volume 4 and go to volume 5.
the climax on volume 5 is really fitting to be the end of season 2.
I agree. But if season 2 truly does end with volume 5, then a third season is pretty much guaranteed, unless something goes horribly wrong...let's keep our fingers crossed.
Old 2009-07-19, 06:32   Link #760
FTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn16 View Post

Spoiler for Link to Fan Fiction:
Thx for the link. I will definitely check them out and maybe contribute my own ideas! ^^
FTGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen