Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-28, 00:38   Link #2301
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Urobuchi wrote three episodes: 6, 18, and 25. Lead writer and story planner was Yousuke Kuroda, who penned Madlax and Gundam 00. However, Urobuchi's participation does suggest that he approved whatever Mashimo and Kuroda proposed.
No wonder. I couldn't get past episode 13 with Madlax and the horrible plot. Gundam 00 was nothing special, the animation helped alot but it was acceptable.

As for Phantom, the game speaks for itself.
Old 2009-09-28, 00:52   Link #2302
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post

Even if it pisses some fans off, a rearrangement with sparks of creativity can turn out better than a rigid adaptation that some bored director/writer phoned in. If changes can motivate the staff, then so be it.
There was no creativity as they did the true ending but they decided to add 2 minutes onto the established ending that doesn't do much except diverge from the true ending into a unique anime ending. Any idiot could have come up with that idea imo and it showed how idiotic it was in execution.

Like I said before, if they wanted to do something original, work on an original idea. This is a game adaptation. Stick to the script already.
Old 2009-09-28, 01:01   Link #2303
Sciel
Etoilé

Ugh after spoiling myself about what happened i just couldn't watch the epilogue . Closed it right after the "6 Months later appeared" . The ending does fit into the theme of the story and all but seeing Reiji go like that especially to some no-name frankly ticked me off . Wish they just stuck with the VN ending .
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 01:35   Link #2304
Wolverine

It got boring. I mena, he repeatedly gains and loses people. It was awesome in the beggining though.
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 01:40   Link #2305
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Most animators should know that the VN crowd wants the game scenario done faithfully. This isn't a new concept.
For the love of god, could you please stop being an ass?

YOU didn't like it, fine. We got it, around by the 19th time you told us. I'm in the VN crowd too, and I have no problem with the change. Yes, it is controversial. Yes, I bet that the author was aware of that. Guess what? It's HIS decision. So feel free to whine to your heart's content, but when might you be over with that? 15 more posts?

Good lord...
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 01:42   Link #2306
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Wow...so with this shitty ending is there an explanation for Reiji and who did him in?
Old 2009-09-28, 01:46   Link #2307
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
Wow...so with this shitty ending is there an explanation for Reiji and who did him in?
It's hinted it was Lelouch, but we certainly don't have accurate evidence.
Old 2009-09-28, 01:50   Link #2308
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
What explanation you talking about?

Who? INFERNO will be top choice but don't forget, Reiji killed a lot of people so there is no shortage of people want to kill him. It could be anyone.

But does the last fact matter?
Old 2009-09-28, 01:52   Link #2309
Wolverine

Reiji dies? I don't thinkI caught that bit. Last I saw, he killed Cal and Elen was in a sticky spot.
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 01:55   Link #2310
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm

Novel has the original scenario of both Ein and Cal surviving. Its basically Cerulean Sky+ Cal surviving and resolving her issue with Zwei. (The resolution of their problem and subsequent fight follows Cal ending though.)

Urobuchi did ep 25 so it didn't surprise me that Cal died there.. (though I still didn't like it. ) As for the ending well it wont surprise me that he approved the scenario too. Like I said, he is twisted
daimonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 01:57   Link #2311
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
Reiji dies? I don't thinkI caught that bit. Last I saw, he killed Cal and Elen was in a sticky spot.
He gets shot by a random horse carriage passing by. It's up to viewers to decide whether he's dead or not.

I need to get all of the music that was played through out the series.
Old 2009-09-28, 04:19   Link #2312
kanon78
Confederate

This ending was so cruel for Elen... and I thought that they made Cal suffer the most (..)

Well it wasn't my favorite way of ending (I'd prefer a rejiXelen ending and DDT OVA) but it was a final twist which was in line with the last episodes and dark theme of requiem for the Phantom in general, although the ending remains very sad and far to cruel towards Elen (I couldn't care less about Reji, but she really deserved some happiness in a true rejiXelen ending).
Overall I'd rate this anime with a solid 8/10.

Last edited by kanon78; 2009-09-28 at 05:38.
kanon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 05:56   Link #2313
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
For the love of god, could you please stop being an ass?

YOU didn't like it, fine. We got it, around by the 19th time you told us. I'm in the VN crowd too, and I have no problem with the change. Yes, it is controversial. Yes, I bet that the author was aware of that. Guess what? It's HIS decision. So feel free to whine to your heart's content, but when might you be over with that? 15 more posts?

Good lord...
Just like in Dragonball Evolution. You can always skip over them if it annoys you that much.

Rating: 4/10 for current debacle ( may those b*****ds see finanacial ruin for this)
9/10 if they had stuck wth the VN ending

Last edited by orion; 2009-09-28 at 06:36.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 06:12   Link #2314
Casshern

Damn, it's like they wanted to troll the viewers on purpose. Just when I was happy with the ending they had to fuck me up in the last ten seconds.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 06:26   Link #2315
Ghostfriendly

Something we haven't considered...did Inferno know about Elen after ep 10?

Mcguire didn't have much contact with Ein as a Phantom, and never found out about her part in the Godo group arc. When his spies told him that Zwei was travelling with a genki asian girl, its an open question whether he would have a photo with any description of Ein he had on file and made the connection, or just had another bubblebath, and wondered what he had to do to get as many girls as Reiji does.

When his subordinate refered to 'Scythe Master and the Phantoms' in ep 26, he might just have meant Zwei and Drei. So orders were only sent out to kill off Reiji rather than his girlfriend.

An alternative explanation for Elen not being shot is that Mcguire was sure that she would be no threat to him with the purpose for her existance taken away. She certainly won't go straight to America and get killed taking him out, and I hope she'll be okay from now on...but the spent cartridge lying in the grass is an onimous sign.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 06:33   Link #2316
orion

Actually, it makes no sense to leave one person alive when 2 are traveling together. You don't know what the second one knows.

The casing isn't that ominous as it's in the patch near the road. It's the casing from the bullet that shot Reiji which fell out the carriage and rolled to its present location. We already know that the body didn't roll from the sound effects and it's absent from the ending pan shot. He's still alive but wounded. Still pissed though...
Old 2009-09-28, 06:54   Link #2317
Ghostfriendly

Reiji doesn't know very much that could damage Inferno, without confessing to murders he commited himself; from the way Mcguire talked about Reiji he was worried about the threat he would pose in his own person, if he chose to attack Inferno or start his own syndicate.

I was thinking of the casing a symbol for Elen; they're both lying in the grass, expended and empty.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 07:35   Link #2318
RedWing

A great anime from beggining to end, Phantom truly takes the top spot for this season. A small craft of well developed characters weaved into a very interesting story, with believable development. Elen and Reiji's development takes the cake as it slowly develops the identities and distinct characteristics of the main Phantoms in the show. Cal is a character with exceptional amount of depth as her character is not simple. We have her issues as a young woman in love, her abandonment by the person she loves and her having to kill people for a living. It is these clashes that truly bring Cal out wheen you sit down and analyse her motivations as developed by the show. The show truly worked hard on the characters.
The story could really do with some work, with Elen and Inferno acting bizzarly in some situations. We have Elen jumping in to protect Scythe Master and then working with him, against Reiji. I don't think it was properly explained why she didn't leave him as soon as she saw Reiji was alive. We have Reiji surving multiple gunshot wounds, whereas many other characters (more realistically) dying in one shot. I think the ending was great as it truly kept with the bleak nature of the show. Inferno wanted their revenge and they got it. It seems like the only complaints about the ending is that it is different from the VN or that they didn't get the happy go lucky pairing they wanted, which amounts to childish whining.

Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom - A great action packed epic that truly surpasses everything else currently showing.

9/10
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 07:56   Link #2319
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
A totally happy ending did not seem right for this story. I saw the ending and felt satisfied; it fits the theme.
A big happy ending with them living like a normal family would not have fit - that's for sure. But after having slept on this, I am a little ticked off. It would really have been a perfect ending, satisfying all fans, but they had to go and do that. I'm sure they had their reasons, and it makes for a good ending none the less, but it still sucks in a way.
Old 2009-09-28, 08:13   Link #2320
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
What I really don't get is why people would want a wedding scene stuck in the middle of a series like this. First you have "assassins running everywhere; tragic and melodramatic series" and then "weee, let's get hitched!"? Now THAT would be bad writing.

(And before people neg rep me and yell at me, I am aware this happens in the VN, but this is the thread for the ANIME. I have never played the VN, so I cannot say if the scene matches there, and if I would like it in the VN or not.)
Agreed, I really can't picture any wedding scenes there unless Cal or someone else would break in somewhere in the middle and would start a bloody shooting.

And even so it would be out of place.

Tags
action, eroge, gunfights, seinen