AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-03, 14:35   Link #421
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Wow, check this out:
http://akb0048.jp/glossary/

The DGTO (Deep Galaxy Trade Organization) is the girls' main adversary, while DES is a rebel group sworn to overthrow the government.

BTW:
You mistranslated it, DES is the special ops group dedicated to taking down AKB0048.
Old 2012-05-03, 14:53   Link #422
mochichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

For me, the hardest thing to accept was the way Nagisa caught up to the shuttle and then was whipped aboard between the closing doors. Just a bit too much fantasy.
Yeah I was wondering..wouldn't the girls get their arm chop off by the space shuttle door?
LOL but the drama make it enjoyable :3

Wow~~ AKB got a whole division trained to take them down?~
Hardcore idols XD

mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 14:59   Link #423
Midonin
Last Engage

This is hardly the first time we've had war turned into nonlethal entertainment. If anything, I'd argue that AKB0048's take on the concept is grittier than Dog Days's, and that show was much more explicitly fantasy. (There's also the matter of "gritty" not automatically equaling "good", but that's another topic.)
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 16:58   Link #424
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
The "Entertainment Ban" entry gives some interesting backstory. A summary:
  • Not long after interstellar flight was developed and humanity moved to space, the D.G.T.O. (Deep Galactic Trade Organization, judging by the kanji) took power.
  • The current ruling power is a militaristic regime (not sure if it's the same as the D.G.T.O., but they must be related), which maintains a powerful standing army to counteract possible threats from alien races (at least, that's the excuse...).
  • Music and entertainment are denounced as "leading the people's hearts astray" and are thus banned.
  • That being said, the severity of the restrictions varies from planet to planet. e.g. some don't allow live entertainment, but it's okay on TV/radio; others allow classical/traditional arts; others maintain a blanket ban on everything.
  • Within the D.G.T.O.'s sphere of influence, any entertainment is considered a terrorist act. Hence the establishment of the DES special forces, to intervene when entertainment is being staged.

It looks like Lancastar is in the stages of lightening its restrictions. Most likely it was formerly one of the blanket ban planets, judging by Nagisa's father's conservative attitude.

By the way, the Akihabara of the future is an "Absolute Entertainment Protection Zone". I would guess that it's outside of the D.G.T.O.'s influence.

Spoiler for Episode 2 preview:
Old 2012-05-03, 17:06   Link #425
mochichan

Quote:
The current ruling power is a militaristic regime (not sure if it's the same as the D.G.T.O., but they must be related), which maintains a powerful standing army to counteract possible threats from alien races (at least, that's the excuse...).
....................if there's alien bugs in this anime like Macross Frontier......IDK if I can support this anime any more............ :|

Sigh.......the summary for the 2nd ep make me worry again..but then I might end up enjoying it just like the first ep....
I kinda wish this anime doesn't include some serious stuffs like "armed army force taking down kawaii idols"......
But w/e at least it will be entertaining to watch the lulzy moments. It's not like this anime is something you take serious lol.

Akimoto praised Okada script and this man made a group with the size of an army, who only had 8 people watching AKB first performance in a 256 seats theater, and was closed to bankrupt and disband into a franchise that made 255 million USD last year and titled Japan's National Idol as well as the first artist to win 4 Billboard awards in one night, and first idol group to win the Japan's Record award....I believe him if he praise Okada script...maybe...
Old 2012-05-03, 17:10   Link #426
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Someone mentioned how Nagisa's voice reminded them of Megumi Nakajima- I thought the same thing, at least in this episode they sounded eerily similar- and then they mentioned how they are on "Lancastar" What are you playing at, Kawamori?

Oddly enough, I found this quite enjoyable- sure the fight scene was ridiculous in how unrealistic it was. But the show is pretty, for sure. So far it's also entertaining. I won't give a verdict until episode 3 or later (because early judgement worked so well for Evol -.-)... while this won't be deep and life-altering it sure looks like fun entertainment.
(And I say that as someone who doesn't find the "real" AKB all that great... yes, yes they're a big deal and their music isn't bad, but they seem a bit too plastic for my tastes :/)
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 17:17   Link #427
mochichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Someone mentioned how Nagisa's voice reminded them of Megumi Nakajima- I thought the same thing, at least in this episode they sounded eerily similar- and then they mentioned how they are on "Lancastar" What are you playing at, Kawamori?

Oddly enough, I found this quite enjoyable- sure the fight scene was ridiculous in how unrealistic it was. But the show is pretty, for sure. So far it's also entertaining. I won't give a verdict until episode 3 or later (because early judgement worked so well for Evol -.-)... while this won't be deep and life-altering it sure looks like fun entertainment.
(And I say that as someone who doesn't find the "real" AKB all that great... yes, yes they're a big deal and their music isn't bad, but they seem a bit too plastic for my tastes :/)
For real? plastic as in plastic surgery or plastic as in fake?
AKB girls are the real-est idols I know..what other idols you know go around joking about butt or photoshop wedding dress pictures of their boss?

Spoiler for the oshiri inside jokes...:

Not only that some of the girls like the leaders Takamina, asked for advice from Akimoto after their Seibu concert because she wanted the group to keep improving, even to the point of crying because she was so frustrated. And Sayaka is an amazing girl. I honestly can say I respect those two.

http://sasuga-kashira.tumblr.com/pos...andshake-event
and as someone who have gay/lesbian/bi friends, Sayaka's encouragement to sexual minority is really heartwarming.

Last edited by mochichan; 2012-05-03 at 17:54.
Old 2012-05-03, 18:17   Link #428
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
For real? plastic as in plastic surgery or plastic as in fake?
AKB girls are the real-est idols I know..what other idols you know go around joking about butt or photoshop wedding dress pictures of their boss?

best thing about AKB is that they're not afraid to look stupid...:3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXI-BtwSHfE
Plastic as in a bit fake and overly glossy for a group that is marketed as "ordinary, approachable girls who happen to be idols". And plastic as in pandering to stereotypes in a way that I find a bit unattractive.
For examples of what I mean, just take a look at the suggestive nature of their lyrics, or some of their videos... It just invokes this very unattractive image in my mind of middle aged, sexually frustrated men, erm, drooling over these girls doing cutesy things while singing about their school uniforms being taken off :S

I know this is somehow the case for all idols, but AKB is more than proactively pandering to this type of fanbase which makes them less attractive to me. I just don't like these types of things- same reason I don't enjoy anime that are clearly geared towards otaku. I don't mean and offence to those who enjoy this, but it's just not something I identify with

You know what, I might have the wrong impression- for one I didn't get the same vibe from the anime (much preferred it to the actual group) that I got from their MV's, so I might be proven wrong in time. This is just my first impression of them which I hope will change.

edit: thanks for those links, I'm looking at them now. I've heard that thing about Sayaka and thought it was sweet
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 18:34   Link #429
mochichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Plastic as in a bit fake and overly glossy for a group that is marketed as "ordinary, approachable girls who happen to be idols". And plastic as in pandering to stereotypes in a way that I find a bit unattractive.
For examples of what I mean, just take a look at the suggestive nature of their lyrics, or some of their videos... It just invokes this very unattractive image in my mind of middle aged, sexually frustrated men, erm, drooling over these girls doing cutesy things while singing about their school uniforms being taken off :S

I know this is somehow the case for all idols, but AKB is more than proactively pandering to this type of fanbase which makes them less attractive to me. I just don't like these types of things- same reason I don't enjoy anime that are clearly geared towards otaku. I don't mean and offence to those who enjoy this, but it's just not something I identify with

You know what, I might have the wrong impression- for one I didn't get the same vibe from the anime (much preferred it to the actual group) that I got from their MV's, so I might be proven wrong in time. This is just my first impression of them which I hope will change.

edit: thanks for those links, I'm looking at them now. I've heard that thing about Sayaka and thought it was sweet
AKB...are the last people...I would call glossy...i've actually met them during a handshake event and once again at Washinton DC concert......................the management is not kidding with their "average girls" concept...especially with Takamina making herself look stupid doing a DB Kamehameha.....XD
Was the song you're talking about Seifuku ga Jama? It wasn't intended to be real, the song was a parody and advice against the enjo kosai situation that happened in Japan. Their producer even wrote a song about suicide call Keibetsu. Akimoto wrote the 421 songs they have and wanted it to be realistic, meaning the topic can be everything, sex, suicide, encouragement, cute love, society issues etc. They even done hardcore things in their videos like ripping their arms off, doing kungfu, breaking out of prison..or the new video, vomiting blood in an apocalyptic setting.

I can understand where you're coming from because I used to hate them..But I gave them a chance and I love these girls right now, I would recommend you give them a chance. The girls themselves do many things like appearing in Vogue Magazine, Vivi, walked in fashion shows, act in dramas, movies. In 2008, yes they were pandering to the idol fans (tho it doesn't mean they're all creepy, members like Kashiwagi, Sashihara Amina, Kojiharu are idol fans) but now AKB target every demo.

I PMed you to help clearing this up.

Last edited by mochichan; 2012-05-03 at 19:05.
Old 2012-05-03, 19:12   Link #430
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
You mistranslated it, DES is the special ops group dedicated to taking down AKB0048.
I didn't translate because most of the time machine translation mangles up the meaning of the text. I thought it was a faction because it used a different emblem. My bad. :P
Old 2012-05-03, 19:45   Link #431
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
AKB...are the last people...I would call glossy...i've actually met them during a handshake event and once again at Washinton DC concert......................the management is not kidding with their "average girls" concept...especially with Takamina making herself look stupid doing a DB Kamehameha.....XD
Was the song you're talking about Seifuku ga Jama? It wasn't intended to be real, the song was a parody and advice against the enjo kosai situation that happened in Japan. Their producer even wrote a song about suicide call Keibetsu. Akimoto wrote the 421 songs they have and wanted it to be realistic, meaning the topic can be everything, sex, suicide, encouragement, cute love, society issues etc. They even done hardcore things in their videos like ripping their arms off, doing kungfu, breaking out of prison..or the new video, vomiting blood in an apocalyptic setting.

I can understand where you're coming from because I used to hate them..But I gave them a chance and I love these girls right now, I would recommend you give them a chance. The girls themselves do many things like appearing in Vogue Magazine, Vivi, walked in fashion shows, act in dramas, movies. In 2008, yes they were pandering to the idol fans (tho it doesn't mean they're all creepy, members like Kashiwagi, Sashihara Amina, Kojiharu are idol fans) but now AKB target every demo.

I PMed you to help clearing this up.
I've lived in Japan for most of the last 3 years and this is the first time I've heard of the "average girls" concept.

I'm not really a fan but AKB48 has really permeated Japanese culture. If anything, I 'd call them a huge fad. They have a huge demographic from kids all the way to adults. Business men too. Nothing sucks more than being coerced by coworkers into parodying aitakatta for a company party *sob sob*. I don't think I'll ever forgot how sad I was when I had to do that.

They are definitely plasticky. Nothing about them is particularly real, especially their songs. They are incredibly produced and if you pay attention all of the choruses hit the same chords. There seem to be a few ones that stand out because of their weirdness like River and Flying Get? Compare the other ones like Pontail and Shushu and Shojo tachi yo. The break down, the chords, the song length, it's all the same! But somehow it's these chords that are the ones that cause people to like their music.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 20:18   Link #432
mochichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
I've lived in Japan for most of the last 3 years and this is the first time I've heard of the "average girls" concept.

I'm not really a fan but AKB48 has really permeated Japanese culture. If anything, I 'd call them a huge fad. They have a huge demographic from kids all the way to adults. Business men too. Nothing sucks more than being coerced by coworkers into parodying aitakatta for a company party *sob sob*. I don't think I'll ever forgot how sad I was when I had to do that.

They are definitely plasticky. Nothing about them is particularly real, especially their songs. They are incredibly produced and if you pay attention all of the choruses hit the same chords. There seem to be a few ones that stand out because of their weirdness like River and Flying Get? Compare the other ones like Pontail and Shushu and Shojo tachi yo. The break down, the chords, the song length, it's all the same! But somehow it's these chords that are the ones that cause people to like their music.
Flying Get? I would thought Beginner would be the one that stand out more.

LOL AKB management has always emphasize their whole "normal girls who can be idols" concept. But then again it seem like you're not a fan so it's understandable you haven't heard that.

When it come to idols, most have an image to some extend. But if you follow AKB, the girls are pretty honest. For example, in their documentaries, they say things like... Sashi "I'm not pretty, even my grandmother asked who's that ugly girl next to Acchan and that was me.", Yukirin "I thought idols are suppose to be certain way but I've wondered if I have an image of an "idol"" Mayuyu "IDK what I would do after being an idol," Takamina "We're not good, we know that, we lack things that other performers have." Acchan "IDK about AKB future when the seniors leave". Many of the girls are even so pessimistic said "I thought AKB would drop in popularity this year, I know we're not going to be popular for long" Takamina even said "I hate the adults who are handling the situation," about Akimoto Sayaka's rumor and how the management made her take a break from being Team K captain.

Their openness and insecurities make them seem genuine. And on AKBINGO, the girls are even hooked up to lie detectors and answer personal questions about themselves, some of the girls are even busted for faking things just to be entertaining since that's their job (so yes they do fake things but we fans know that, and we know who are the genuine ones too) Alot of the AKB girls are weirdos who do stupid things tbh..Especially Team K members. They're not as "cutesy" as the first impression people have.

Music wise, yes they aren't innovative..hard for pop music nowaday. But because their music are catchy, and I like their lyrics that I like them. But anyway different opinions *shrug* I can't deny they're not a trend...but the way the management is running, I can see the 48 being an established franchise in the future but then again who know....All that matter is the girls future outside of AKB and many of the popular AKB girls have found quite establish fanbase to move on as solo, Itano Tomomi, Kojima Haruna Shinoda Mariko in the fashion industry and Yuko has been lot of dramas and movie acting offers, and the ones wanting to be voice actress is getting experiences from this anime.

Last edited by mochichan; 2012-05-03 at 20:29.
Old 2012-05-03, 20:48   Link #433
sa547
*Author

This is getting way too off-topic, so I have a little issue to get off my chest.

In my country, k-pop has become so widespread that it even has its own cable TV channel. My problem with that is they're too perfect yet so overwhelming, constrained and safe, all the while pressurized by their companies and management to maintain world dominance, hence making AKB's multimedia saturation (geared for domestic consumption) look tiny in comparison.

Hence I can't find even one k-pop artist that I can easily connect, identify and relate with; I can relate with Sayaka Akimoto because her mother is a Filipino (and therefore in a sense she's an ambassador representing my country), and identify with Minami Takahashi by virtue of her personal life and the ability to overcome family issues.

On the other hand, my beef with Western pop music is that some of its performers are paid several times bigger than the entire AKB membership, but tend to have too much ego, and often they're unapproachable and surrounded by bodyguards, all the while trying to have the whole universe revolve around them (think about Sheryl Nome just before her downfall).

Last edited by sa547; 2012-05-03 at 21:22.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 20:59   Link #434
mochichan

Yeah...I agree...this is about the anime but since it's a real group that this anime based off, these stuffs can't be help
Old 2012-05-03, 22:45   Link #435
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I haven't really watched anime series that features idols as the main focus of the story (Key the Metal Idol, Magical Stage Fancy Lala, Macross Frontier, and the IDOLM@STER) so this wouldn't end up in my To Watch list anytime soon. The closest to having a performing group doing something as close as AKB0048 is Legend of Black Heaven, and the former ain't gonna be as gritty as the latter, I'm sure.

The premise is a bit weird, but I remember someone comparing the plot of AKB0048 to what's going on with Ishihara and censorship of anime. Regardless, I expected a lot more "things" to happen, considering AKB has done some shoots at the level of mochichan's signature.

But I guess character deaths will not be helpful as they would incite the wrath of the fans of those killed.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 23:07   Link #436
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i think some of the girls should star in the next Charlie's Angels movies
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 23:21   Link #437
mochichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
i think some of the girls should star in the next Charlie's Angels movies

LOL....well they did do kungfu in Flying Get PV..
the closest we got to that is probably Majisuka Gakuen drama. Fun if you like watching girls acting as delinquents and beat up each others bloody. Matsui Rena as psycho Gekikara is so BAMF <3

As for character deaths, or at least sacrifice/arrests...I would like it to happen. It would make the show take a dramatic turn and make it more interesting Fans got no problem with Tomochin beating the hell out of their girls in Majisuka and even Rena getting shank in the stomach, they shouldn't have a problem now with this lol. XD

Last edited by mochichan; 2012-05-03 at 23:40.
Old 2012-05-04, 03:49   Link #438
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
^
Yep. As one of the characters has the surname Itano, I'd love to see her to do the Circus as her secret weapon.

An odd thought came up after rewatching.
Spoiler for What?:
Circus weapon(Missile spam from what i saw from Xezexal's post.)....Heavyarms???!(Before you start that missile spam, Consult Heavyarms' Daughter first.(Human Heavyarms Gundam, you know who, she followed the same style as Trowa's heavyarms Circus attack)
Spoiler for Answer a spoiler with a spoiler.:

Quote:
Spoiler for Unvandalized version:
Somebody bring me the Cane of Solomon. I will do something about those pol... for bringing down the entertainment.(You know what those asterisks mean.)

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-05-04 at 03:55. Reason: I cant say to people who are higher than us can't I?
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 10:05   Link #439
mochichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
Spoiler for Answer a spoiler with a spoiler.:

All we need is for her to do "Kyrah" during a song and we got a Ranka lol
Old 2012-05-04, 21:07   Link #440
sa547
*Author

I don't know what to make of this, but this show... being put in the same basket as my two other favorites, and if it's going to live up to expectations, well, it's an uphill battle.
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-9263.html#more

Also, Okada in glasses.

Tags
action-adventure, idols, musical anime