AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-09-10, 07:59   Link #841
Iron Maw
Banned

Great episode, but I didn't like it as much as last weeks due a few issues, one of them being the unbelievable treatment of Natsuno's parents toward Shizuka. There is only so much one can stretch their suspension of belief. I don't see how Tatsumi's so called strategy could work on anyone with common sense, it just feels it bad writing all over, meh.

I wouldn't be surprised if Natsuno did become a Vampire since like some others said the OP imagery hinted at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boduar View Post
I cant remember and dont really want to rewatch to see it mentioned but if all 3 drink is that an instant KO on natsuno or is there going to be a 2nd night. For some reason I keep thinking they are .5L short (1 person) of it being an instant KO but not sure and its somewhat important for his survival chances.
IIRC, Toshio theorized that it takes 4 bites before a person dies. Of course if a person is gang-bitten like Setsuko was then yeah instant death.

On a somewhat different note, something has been bugging me about the Vampires in this series since episode 8 which is that they're surprising... weak. One of the scariest factors of facing Vampires in fiction has always been that their possession of extraordinary strength and various other abilities. This made it nearly impossible for a human to go against them in a straight fight, and instead rely on tactics. If Tohru and that other guy are what we can go by they only have the strength of an average person, which makes them a whole lot less scarier.

This makes a resistance not only much more possible, but actually victory against a group of them likely. Which is rather disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Unfortunately, that's exactly what the usually dependable Shoboi Calendar anime TV listings site says for the main channel, Fuji TV: ep11 on schedule on 16 Sept, then skip Sept 23 and 30, then ep12 on 7 Oct.

The listing still shows another channel with ep12 on 28 Sept and ep13 on 5 Oct, but that may change, too. I'm expecting serious withdrawal symptoms. Fortunately, the new season starts 1 Oct, and I think there will be some watchable shows coming up.
So, any reason why for the break?
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 08:33   Link #842
Horse

> http://www.okiagari.net/package/index.html

Sample of the first volume bonus CD. It is a DJCD. Sounds very nice.
But it also updates details for the 2nd dvd, and it comes with a mini soundtrack.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 08:47   Link #843
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Thing is for what weve seen so far the hypnosis only works when the vampire who does the biting is in close proximity to the victim. Setsuko only obeyed Nao when she came to the clinic. We know Toru cant be out during the day so unless the three of them take Natsuno somewhere to finish him off Natsuno could find Toshio before Toru comes back the next night, assuming he has the strength. Setsuko said she thought she was dreaming when Nao came to her. She didnt have a good idea of what was happening cuz really would you believe it. Natsuno does know whats going on maybe...maybe he can beat the hypnosis.
I think Masao's instance was a bit clearer, although I can't tell if it is was only due to the hypnosis or its degrading state as well (probably both). Either way, the librarian guy ordered him not to say anything to anyone, and Masao was still "fine" after the first "meal time". Considering that order purpose, it is very likely that it has a lingering effect.
This prolly explain why victims can't tell to anyone what's going on, since not everyone were bitten when they were asleep. Assuming this, it is very likely Setsuko was awake when she was initially attacked, but Nao made her think it -was- a dream. But even so, Setsuko couldn't help but feel it was more than a simple dream.

For all it is worth, it doesn't seem far fetched to expect Tatsumi having enough leeway to let Natsuno know about that (he will either be doomed or one of them sooner or later so heh )
Old 2010-09-10, 12:31   Link #844
Setre

A break? ARGHH!!! I might have to break down and start reading the manga.

I have to say Shiki is becoming one of my favorite anime ever. If it can continue to dish out the awesome it'll replace Higurashi as my favorite horror anime. If the manga and novel (assuming I'll ever get to read it) are as good the anime is it'll end up replacing Higurashi as my favorite franchise.
Setre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 13:05   Link #845
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
@Shiroth: It's a Funimation stream actually, Viz is only simulcasting Nura, and Funi has been pretty good about following the Japanese schedule so I guess it'll be a two week break there and then back to the one hour after simulcast.
Yeah i know all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
and it comes with a mini soundtrack.
I wish we knew how many tracks will be on this mini release, but heck it's better the nothing.

Still hoping we get an actual full soundtrack release at a later date.
Old 2010-09-10, 13:15   Link #846
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Episode 10 would have so much more enjoyable if I hadn't been spoiled about this twist . Now that I hear there is going to be a three weeks break, I'm seriously considering reading the manga.

That was still a very enoyable episode to watch. The first part of the episode felt a bit unnecessary and the constant switch between the past, present and Natsuno and the Vampire's point of views was jarring. There is no more doubt in my mind: I hate Natsuno's parents. It's like they tried as hard they could to make Natsuno's life harder. There is actually still a chance for Natsuno to be saved (assuming they won't completely drain him right there- which is likely) if they at least have the common sense to bring him to Ozaki.

Tatsumi is truly a super-sadist, pitting best friends against each other. He got quite a kick out of it too. On the other hand, Megumi wasn't pleased Tohru-chan stole her beloved Natsuno from her. Serves her right! She's reaping what she sowed.

The next episode looks truly amazing. God, I can't wait!
Old 2010-09-10, 13:45   Link #847
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Great episode, but I didn't like it as much as last weeks due a few issues, one of them being the unbelievable treatment of Natsuno's parents toward Shizuka. There is only so much one can stretch their suspension of belief. I don't see how Tatsumi's so called strategy could work on anyone with common sense, it just feels it bad writing all over, meh..... So, any reason why for the break?
1. As our previous discussion showed, some of us think Natsuno's parents acted perfectly rationally and normally.

2. I haven't found a reason for the skip, but if you try to stretch a 22-episode series over the 26 weeks of two seasons, there are four empty weeks. This show started a week late, accounting for one week, so they have to find three more weeks to leave out, either in the middle or at the end.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 13:45   Link #848
zette

Seriously, Shiki just gets better with every episode. And it looks like this trend is only going to continue next week as the focus shifts to Sunako and the Kirishikis.

Spoiler for ep11 preview:

The three week break after next week's episode is gonna be agonizing, that's for sure. Next week's episode better not end on a damn cliffhanger.
Old 2010-09-10, 13:47   Link #849
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
so they have to find three more weeks to leave out, either in the middle or at the end.
& doing it at the end would be a much more rational plan.
Old 2010-09-10, 13:54   Link #850
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
& doing it at the end would be a much more rational plan.
Yes, unless they have some special three-week long series of programs that would sell a lot better now than nearer the end of the year (in this 1:15 am time slot; not sure if the preceding show, Moyashimon, is resting too). Unfortunately, the TV listings I've looked at (Fuji TV, Yahoo) both go no further than next week, so I can't see what's on in place of this show.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-09-10 at 14:26.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 16:41   Link #851
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Oh my. This...is definitely getting interesting. I want to know ore about the vampire system though.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 18:46   Link #852
matteas
Member Member

Episode 10 gave me unbelievable chills and the end blew my mind. I hadn't expected that to happen.

We've had two consecutive episodes with cliffhangers so I'm kind of expecting the worst to happen, episode 12 ending with a tremendous cliffhanger which will leave us in desperate longing for the next episode.
matteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 19:40   Link #853
fukarming

Shiki had already pass the best anime of the season to best anime of the year. It is on course to the best anime in the past couple years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
On a somewhat different note, something has been bugging me about the Vampires in this series since episode 8 which is that they're surprising... weak. One of the scariest factors of facing Vampires in fiction has always been that their possession of extraordinary strength and various other abilities. This made it nearly impossible for a human to go against them in a straight fight, and instead rely on tactics. If Tohru and that other guy are what we can go by they only have the strength of an average person, which makes them a whole lot less scarier.

This makes a resistance not only much more possible, but actually victory against a group of them likely. Which is rather disappointing.
Which vampire flicks are you referring to? My image of vampires are not about superhuman strength, but wits (they maintain their human intelligence, since they live longer, they are probably smarter), supernatural ability (turning into a bat, in Shiki's case: Hypnosis) and the element of surprise (no one expect vampires). That is why vampires are on the losing side vs humans. Once humans know the outlet of the vampire castle, ordinary humans can just go and hunt vampires and usually resulting from the whole castles being burnt.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 19:58   Link #854
Kona-Kona
Densetsu shoujo "A"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post

The three week break after next week's episode is gonna be agonizing, that's for sure. Next week's episode better not end on a damn cliffhanger.
Want to bet? very deep in my heart I dont want that to happen but shiki doesnt care about chrushing my expectations
Kona-Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 21:12   Link #855
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Having no idea where Shiki is going, like most of you, is one of the major draws of this series for me. I'm soooo glad I don't have easy access to the manga/novel anymore, or I just might read the whole thing during that 3-week break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
Sample of the first volume bonus CD. It is a DJCD. Sounds very nice.
Man...this is tempting! Why can't they just release the DJCD alone too!?

RE: the 3 week break
Probably something to do with the typical Noitamina set-up at Fuji TV. Most series go for one cour of 11-12 episodes, and the two series that have gone for longer had mid-season breaks too (Honey and Clover - 24 eps, 2 week break between 9 and 10; Nodame Cantabile, 23 eps, 3 week break between 11 and 12).

Probably a good thing for the animators anyway - to have a rest and to get ahead if needed.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 21:28   Link #856
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow - just wow.

Once in a great while, an episode airs that's so exciting that when I expect an eyecatch, it's actually the closing credits. That was seriously suspenseful, tragic and beautifully done. Though nothing that's revealed is ever surprising in hindsight with this series, it still has the ability to catch you defenseless at the time.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 21:45   Link #857
Dextro
He Without a Title

Well this episode would have had a lot more impact if I hadn't been spoiled but it's still a very damn good one in my book. And like others said: being completely in the dark on the direction of the story going forward is awesome, takes me back to when I first watched higurashi and noticed that the second "world" wasn't going along exactly as the first. It made me go completely WTF and re-examine everything I thought I knew... Shiki is leaving me haning each week wanting to know more so it's a winner so far.

Damn that break is gonna be tough...
Old 2010-09-10, 21:53   Link #858
Kakkou
Tch.

The look on Megubitch's face at the end was priceless. This was even better than the manga with the music, animation and voice acting backing it up. Poor Tohru, being forced to bite his own best friend made me so torn between feeling sorry for them and being happy she didn't get to do it.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 23:59   Link #859
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
after the most recent episode all i can say is wow. i have only been watching this series up until now to just fill in the time but after the latest turn of events this series is a real jem and i cant wait to see what happens next.
Old 2010-09-11, 01:13   Link #860
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Damn this was a tough episode. Still I think it might be a tactical blunder if Natsuno is left alone with the one bite. I mean if they have the group go after him they can avoid any risk and just finish him off in one night. Any extra time allows for the doctor to try and help Natsuno who will continue to be a threat.

Some real frustration from Natsuno towards his family. I'm not really sure the crosses and talismans would have helped, but his father was really screwing Natsuno over constantly. He doesn't bother asking why his son put those up, but just removes them. Not to mention the whole unlocking of the door thing. If Natsuno does turn I think he might just take down his family.

Tags
horror, shounen, supernatural, vampire