AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-14, 14:44   Link #1261
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linglan View Post
Story is good but fights are bad. I never get that pump up feeling when watching fight in this anime.
That's what happens when your hero is an Anti-Mage while his opponents are freakishly overpowered mages and espers.
Old 2012-09-14, 16:49   Link #1262
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Is firing a gun really that hard? I played games with gun but just locking on your crosser is enough to get a headshot and I don't have real experience in firing or even touching a gun and nope, I'm no gun otaku or had clear knowledge about it.
Guns are surprising hard to use but very easy to learn.

Basically you can't really just pick it up and wing it without experience, but you can learn to use it very quickly so long as you're taught properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix22 View Post
How about throwing grenades? Or dropping a truck on 'em. Might as well go all out.
Grenades are surprisingly hard to use as well

You'll be surprise how many first timers threw the pin in real life The pin itself is rather hard to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linglan View Post
Story is good but fights are bad. I never get that pump up feeling when watching fight in this anime, same goes for Gundam 00 S2.
To each his own I guess, personally I do get that pumped up feeling, the build up to it is rather awesome.

Quote:
Magus, Magi, Magician, Wizard or what ever spell caster stupid pride. Just because they can do it by their magic they refuse to use modern tech. That's why they got killed by sniper rifles the irony of a person skilled in magic.
The kind of magician that uses modern tools as part of their normal arsenal is the kind that has no faith in his or her (mostly her it seems) own power- in which case he/she is a half-assed magician and weak to began with.

Quote:
It depends on the type of the gun your creating. If your creating a noble phantasm gun. I would choose gun. Plus I'm no fun of animated objects.

Touma can easily destroy them unlike guns.
But are you going to spend your life training for that one Touma who may or may not show up?
Old 2012-09-14, 17:42   Link #1263
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
But are you going to spend your life training for that one Touma who may or may not show up?
Especially since almost everybody thought that his power was impossible at the start of the story.
Old 2012-09-14, 18:22   Link #1264
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen
The kind of magician that uses modern tools as part of their normal arsenal is the kind that has no faith in his or her (mostly her it seems) own power- in which case he/she is a half-assed magician and weak to began with.
Or they're just pragmatic. Like Kiritsugu in F/Z.
---

And there's a reason mages fell like fly to Kiritsugu as well. Similar to how all the magicians in Index weren't responding well fighting Touma I guess. They really simply weren't prepared for it. It's somewhat of a trope already that mages in general are creatures of habit, so the shock value of that habit being broken alone is enough to render them helpless for the most part.
Old 2012-09-14, 19:14   Link #1265
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Or they're just pragmatic. Like Kiritsugu in F/Z.
---
Well technically Kiritsugu isn't a strong magic user either

Is it even right to call him a mage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
And there's a reason mages fell like fly to Kiritsugu as well. Similar to how all the magicians in Index weren't responding well fighting Touma I guess. They really simply weren't prepared for it. It's somewhat of a trope already that mages in general are creatures of habit, so the shock value of that habit being broken alone is enough to render them helpless for the most part.
It works both ways though, normal people aren't used to mages' way of fighting.
Old 2012-09-14, 20:16   Link #1266
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Is firing a gun really that hard? I played games with gun but just locking on your crosser is enough to get a headshot and I don't have real experience in firing or even touching a gun and nope, I'm no gun otaku or had clear knowledge about it.
Read Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy the real life section.
Old 2012-09-15, 05:48   Link #1267
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Well technically Kiritsugu isn't a strong magic user either

Is it even right to call him a mage?
Nope. He would be an Anti-Mage.
Old 2012-09-20, 14:17   Link #1268
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Hm people say Touma is static(well maybe his actions) but his beliefs are really the most dynamic. Vol 2 Touma can't say the things Vol 22 Touma said to Fiamma.

Not to mention in Vol 4 where he's happy about his misfortune
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Old 2013-04-14, 20:24   Link #1269
Goldzero

i feel like this discusion thread should be revied since plenty of people in animesuki are talking about touma that seems to be off discussion in other threads.
Old 2013-04-14, 21:57   Link #1270
Raisingfalcon
Class minus 13

Then I'll just say that touma is epic! Hes a protagonist that actually shows growth! Its not some some radical change and power ups. If you see the touma from the start of the series and compare it to the touma from now you can see that he has committed mistakes and good deeds like any person would. His growth is slow but steady. You can see His battle performance getting better, hes more aware of his posture and his surroundings.

His morals are put up for questions and he dosent have the answer to everything yet he does his best in a way thats believeable. He just a great protagonist and i can only give him a thumbs up!!
Old 2013-04-14, 22:24   Link #1271
judasmartel
*Author

I'll have to put this in, about Touma being a Gary Stu:

What readers and viewers see is an ordinary high school student defeating opponents millions of times more powerful than he is, thanks to his hard-earned street fighting skills, incredible tenacity and absolute refusal to hit the bucket, and his anti-magic right hand, otherwise known to some people as "Plot Armor".

But I guess the "Plot Armor HAX" and "Gary Stu" accusations have something to do with the fact that he steals the spotlight from our beloved Electric Princess in her own show one too many times, and that his opponents rely so much on their powers that they keep using them even when it's VERY CLEAR to them that THESE WILL NOT WORK ON HIM. But hey, at least Accelerator tried to harm Touma indirectly, and more and more power users have wisened up and decided to bring out the real guns in case they have to fight him.

But that is not what Touma's opponents see. What they see is a walking death machine that can cancel any kind of power no matter how deadly they might be and can get up over and over again no matter how much punishment you dish out to him. Any power user can tell you that it's VERY SCARY to fight an opponent like that. There's a reason why Accelerator, the most powerful esper in Academy City, is AFRAID OF TOUMA, an ORDINARY HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT WITH NO OTHER POWERS WHATSOEVER.

That alone, plus the fact that he is the ToAruVerse's version of freaking Chuck Norris and the beacon of FREAKING GENDER EQUALITY, makes him a pretty awesome protagonist.
Old 2013-04-15, 00:09   Link #1272
faiz blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
That alone, plus the fact that he is the ToAruVerse's version of freaking Chuck Norris and the beacon of FREAKING GENDER EQUALITY, makes him a pretty awesome protagonist.
I'm not even going to touch the rest of that mess, but please tell me how did you came up with that highlighted tibbit...
Old 2013-04-15, 00:13   Link #1273
Haigon

Men or Women. TouMAN punchs them all!
Old 2013-04-15, 00:13   Link #1274
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz blaster View Post
I'm not even going to touch the rest of that mess, but please tell me how did you came up with that highlighted tibbit...
Google 'Kamijiou Touma' and 'Gender Equality'

Mah don't take it too seriously it just a joke...
Old 2013-04-15, 00:18   Link #1275
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz blaster View Post
It's a joke that got popular when Index II was airing, Touma became famous amongst people who didn't even watch the show, or read the manga or LN, because he hit women in the face. You don't often see that, since most entertainment tends to avoid showing women getting hit in the face, especially by a guy.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2013-04-15, 00:27   Link #1276
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
I'll have to put this in, about Touma being a Gary Stu:

What readers and viewers see is an ordinary high school student defeating opponents millions of times more powerful than he is, thanks to his hard-earned street fighting skills, incredible tenacity and absolute refusal to hit the bucket, and his anti-magic right hand, otherwise known to some people as "Plot Armor".

But I guess the "Plot Armor HAX" and "Gary Stu" accusations have something to do with the fact that he steals the spotlight from our beloved Electric Princess in her own show one too many times, and that his opponents rely so much on their powers that they keep using them even when it's VERY CLEAR to them that THESE WILL NOT WORK ON HIM. But hey, at least Accelerator tried to harm Touma indirectly, and more and more power users have wisened up and decided to bring out the real guns in case they have to fight him.

But that is not what Touma's opponents see. What they see is a walking death machine that can cancel any kind of power no matter how deadly they might be and can get up over and over again no matter how much punishment you dish out to him. Any power user can tell you that it's VERY SCARY to fight an opponent like that. There's a reason why Accelerator, the most powerful esper in Academy City, is AFRAID OF TOUMA, an ORDINARY HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT WITH NO OTHER POWERS WHATSOEVER.

One more thing I have to add. Early in the series, Touma's enemy has no idea what his power is. That's what make him even scarier, being an unknown who won't die even when he's hit over and over again.

For example, look at accel's fight. In accel mind, what happen is this. There's this random guy who doesn't seem to have any power whatsoever, but he's still standing after being thrown several meters upward and can pierce through the strongest armor that can allegedly withstand nukes. Sure he's bleeding and all, but just the fact that he's still alive and not backing off is scary enough. Accel's line of thought at that time is basically the same as when you shoot someone through their heart and they bleed, yet they stillstand and walk toward you in retiliation. Sure, accel's could have thrown stone to Touma to kill im easily at the last exchange, but Accel's mind is too flooded with fear to even think something like that, hence the charge.

Same with Mikoto during their fight. That is also why, later fight cause Touma much more hardship than his earlier fight, because they're now armed with the strongest weapon against him, information. Too bad they underestimate the power of his determination a little bit too much(and in Fianna's case, the thing inside his hand)
Old 2013-04-15, 00:51   Link #1277
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Google 'Kamijiou Touma' and 'Gender Equality'
To be fair, most of the girls Touma has punched can actually punch harder than him (I'm not speaking of ESP here)
Old 2013-04-15, 06:07   Link #1278
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Touma is the 1st place winner best overall character and male character of the kono light novel sugoi 2011 awards
Well this will explain why Touma is/was so damn famous. He and his almighty Touma punch.

BTW, I think Touma is being more of a freaking HAX than a Gary Stu.

Last edited by Xero8420; 2013-04-15 at 06:19.
Old 2013-04-15, 06:16   Link #1279
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
Well this will explain why Touma is/was so damn famous in Japan. He and his almighty Touma punch.

BTW, I think Touma is being more of a freaking HAX than a Gary Stu.
Funny you should say that because for the last two years he has been superseded by none other than Kirito, who is the new face of Gary Stu whether it's accurate or not
Old 2013-04-15, 06:23   Link #1280
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Funny you should say that because for the last two years he has been superseded by none other than Kirito, who is the new face of Gary Stu whether it's accurate or not
Yeah, should have stated that 2 years ago.

Still, I don't think it's appropriate to call Touma a Gary Stu. Cause he's not the flawless OP guy that defeat all of his enemies without breaking his swag, and so he isn't in the list and somewhat misleading.
Closed Thread