AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-20, 12:19   Link #2321
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Jackie Chan's China comments prompt backlash
There goes our hero being a sellout to the Chinese totalitarians :{
So i am not sure if sellout is the right word. He has never been a big supporter of the pro-democracy movement in the past.
Old 2009-04-20, 12:44   Link #2322
Echoes

Walkout at Iran Leader's Speech.

Quite a drastic outcome, but I suppose that when the leader of Iran brands Israel "completely racist", there will be strong reactions.
Old 2009-04-20, 14:14   Link #2323
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine_cute View Post
of couse they use the whales to earn money or for meat....but there is a kind of competition for killing whales......so there is a risk of extinction of the species.....its not good only for the sake of comp.....
I'd like to see where you heard about this "competition" where you heard about the risk of extinction
Old 2009-04-20, 14:58   Link #2324
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I figure he was trying to get across that you can not just *thrust* democracy on a people - it isn't intuitive. They have to grow it themselves. He thinks the Chinese may have a ways to go before "mob rule emotional irrationalism" gives way to the structured reasoning required before a democracy can really function (as well as the axiomatic agreement not to resort to violence when one fails to make one's case).

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-04-21 at 16:20. Reason: I don't understand the posrep I got.... I've always *known* this. Didn't "just learn it to defend Chan" o.O
Old 2009-04-20, 15:08   Link #2325
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I can't call Jackie Chan a sellout.

You can't be a sell-out if it's your own opinon, no one's paying him to say those things, its his own opinon. I agree with you Vexx I think he's stating that it isn't rational to simply go from communism to democracy in such a short period of time, if the people want it; they'll rally for it. What alot of people over looked was how the quality of life for the average Chinese person HAS increased since Mao's communism began, sure the corruption is terrible and the verge between poor and rich is massive, but isn't that applicable for every country? There'll be alot or little of both. The Chinese people right now aren't at the point in which they can grasp democracy; democracy needs educated people, you can't have a democracy based on a population of illiterate or politically unaware people, that only leads up to more corruption. Give the Chinese people time to have atleast a few generations of almost entirely literate and thinking people; then and only then can democracy truly begin. Or really you're only trading in one unsuccessful regime for another.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-04-20, 15:37   Link #2326
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
I can't call Jackie Chan a sellout.

You can't be a sell-out if it's your own opinon, no one's paying him to say those things, its his own opinon.
Yes and no. As someone who does a lot of business in China, he does hold a stake in governmental stability. But then, if he was a rabid democracy fanboy, you could accuse him of being a populist for the sake of selling movie tickets and of pandering to Western audiences.

That said, though I don't know how much it applies to China, I don't think his position is without merit. I'd rather live prosperous and safe under an authoritarian regime, than die in a democratically sponsored anarchy.
Old 2009-04-20, 16:04   Link #2327
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Sellout? I thought he was one of them from the beginning.

It'd be very strange if his comments on China won't prompt any backlash.
Old 2009-04-20, 16:29   Link #2328
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

Quite a drastic outcome, but I suppose that when the leader of Iran brands Israel "completely racist", there will be strong reactions.
What were they expecting when they invited a disrespectful sharp tongue racist like him to a conference that was targeting the idea of fighting against racism?!! Those countries should not have attended in the first place.
Old 2009-04-20, 17:07   Link #2329
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Never before have I seen a single font prompt so much hate.
Old 2009-04-20, 17:22   Link #2330
Kamui4356
Aria Company

It's because it's so over used. I mean you see comic sans everywhere. It's insidious. Who knows where it'll show up next?

Seriously though, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it is it wasn't used in inappropriate situations as often as it is. For example, the towel shown in that article, it might not be the best font choice, but I doubt anyone would really object. That banner from Spain on the other hand, it probably wasn't an appropriate font choice. I'd say that document was an even better example, but I'm not sure if it's real or a sample of what to avoid.
Old 2009-04-20, 18:26   Link #2331
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Oracle buys Sun Microsystems

Well, I'm stunned. The company I work for bases its business in general consulting of several Oracle applications, so I guess this somewhat impacts my activities. Still, I'm quite surprised about this--in no way I had imagined someone like Oracle would be interested in buying Sun.

I fear for the future of MySQL, though... Let's just hope it stays alive, at least as a low-end database engine.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2009-04-20, 20:28   Link #2332
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Anything related to fonts makes me cry laughing.

Like The Onion's article, "Woman finds the perfect font for her party invitations"
Old 2009-04-21, 06:15   Link #2333
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
What were they expecting when they invited a disrespectful sharp tongue racist like him to a conference that was targeting the idea of fighting against racism?!! Those countries should not have attended in the first place.
I believe in giving people a chance. I am for the invitation of Iran. But he screwed it up so it is his fault.

Interestingly, I remember reading in the Quran (correct me if I am wrong) with regards to something about "respecting your enemies". He is pretty hypocritical to make such anti-semetic statements despite being a part of a religious theocracy.

He would be better off settling in North Korea. I don't think Khamieni would make such harebrained statements like these despite being anti-Israel.

The reason why some of the delegates actually cheered would be because they thought that US used Israel as a way to project their force of oppression in the Middle East, and it is a stab at US for being "an anti-racist protector of freedom". It would be better if the rest of the world looks upon the point that the forum is JUST an exchange for eliminating racism, not a talk organised by some "democratic hegemony".

The UN Security Council failure to reclassify rotten eggs as a non-weapon resulted in this. Blame the UN for that part too.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-04-21, 08:07   Link #2334
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Typical fella who's been brainwashed by the PRC. Gah. Happens. That's why, being born in HK, like Jackie Chan, I have a BN(O) passport, not a HKSAR one.
Old 2009-04-21, 08:13   Link #2335
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
having ahmadinijad give the opening speech at a UN anti-racisem convention is roughly equal to the phrase "killing for peace is like screwing for virginity"

and the annoying part about it is that certain people are able to say that they found his speech "shocking" with a stright face
as if this was NOT as predictable as the sun rising in the morning

granted, i understand that its not a good idea to ban the president of an entire country from an "anti-racisem" convetion thats suppose to promote tolerance and understanding just becouse he has expressed racist beliefs in the past
but giving him the floor to speak his mind is taking things way too far (given the nature of the convention)

lets call it what it is
this is the UN giving ahmadinijad a stage from which to make an ass of himself AND the UN (and the very purpose of the convention)
and then gathering world public attention around the monkey cage to watch while he flings poo around like an angry chimp
nothing more, nothing less
Old 2009-04-21, 13:09   Link #2336
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Typical fella who's been brainwashed by the PRC. Gah. Happens. That's why, being born in HK, like Jackie Chan, I have a BN(O) passport, not a HKSAR one.
really dude? did you even read what he said? Guess who needs articles when you can read headlines huh.
Old 2009-04-21, 15:22   Link #2337
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Obama leaves door open to Bush officials' prosecution

A semi-expected follow up to the recent memo that broke confirming the Bush Adminstrations allowance of training in techniques involving water boarding torture under it's watch. Of course the article also seems to indicate that Obama seemed opposed to prosecuting the agents that carried out the waterboarding torture, which to me sounds hugely disappointing if it is true. I shouldn't think it would be too much to at least ask for a formal investigation even if you are trying to look bipartisan and like you are "moving forward instead of looking backward". Some serious fence sitting going on from the new president.
Old 2009-04-21, 16:10   Link #2338
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't think he's intending to go after the agents themselves... but the decision makers and policy formulators for torture are looking more and more like they should be held accountable for crimes and violations. Obama and many of the Dems simply don't seem to have the political will and want to skip merrily into the future. Many folks who remember the "rule of law" applies in all directions are saying "hey whoa....".

My mind keeps going over to that young journalist just convicted of spying (falsely) by the Iranians.... so if they torture her now to extract whatever "confession" they want (which is all torture gives you) -- we now have absolutely no platform to respond with .... thanks a f*cking lot, neocon idiots.
Old 2009-04-21, 19:11   Link #2339
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

Quote:
The walkout by delegates from at least 30 countries happened within minutes of the start of the speech.
Old 2009-04-21, 21:09   Link #2340
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Has anyone read this article on Hime Island, Japan. This pretty obscure island has received a lot of attention during the past few weeks in Japan.

Considering how the trouble with economy is a global phenomenon, the article is pretty interesting to say the least.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international