AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-15, 00:11   Link #301
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post
Yeah the manga has been scanslated in chinese, though only 3 chapters are available. It's at the usual place where you find chinese-subbed anime/manga torrents but like always there's no more seeds within a few days... as it's been now a couple of weeks already.

Very well then. Who amongst us here can provide the 3 volumes of Chinese-subbed mangas, then? Provide it in this thread, and I'll produce a translation log of them just like I did for the new Kanon manga.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:18   Link #302
iwubanime
FMP wubber

the main female lead seems to send out really cute vibes to me :P the other characters are ok, but her design in particular is very well done!

character designs aside, i found the main female lead to be very interesting, and although i don't like the hospitalized sister she also seems to have an air of mystery to her

yorito's sky obsessions is a little scary but i guess ill have to wait till episode 2 to get a better handle on what i think of him

i haven't decided on how i feel about this series, i'm tempted to just watch it all since there are only 12 episodes, but i'm not sure
iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:20   Link #303
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So is this supposed to be an action series, romance, slice-of-life or what. The character designs look like a eroge, but I see a guy holding a sword on the Wiki article so I assume there might be some fighting going on or something...??? Mamiko Noto is always good for me, but I'm worried that there might not be a whole lot going on in this series to keep me interested. The name Sola instantly strikes me as romantic-drama for some reason.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:22   Link #304
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
So is this supposed to be an action series, romance, slice-of-life or what. The character designs look like a eroge, but I see a guy holding a sword on the Wiki article so I assume there might be some fighting going on or something...??? Mamiko Noto is always good for me, but I'm worried that there might not be a whole lot going on in this series to keep me interested. The name Sola instantly strikes me as romantic-drama for some reason.
This show is about Fujiwara Keiji as a badass motherfucker with a Katana going to slice up Noto Mamiko, thus putting it in the "Awesome" genre. Like, duh. Everyone knows that.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:22   Link #305
Ascaloth

Quote:
Kaio-chin, the writer for Sola was one of KEY's writers for Kanon.

Certainly that should give you a very good idea of what it's going to turn out to be?

EDIT: And kodachrome just put himself in my gunsights for spouting out a crapload of bullshit. Unless he was just joking, of course...
Old 2007-04-15, 00:26   Link #306
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Kaio-chin, the writer for Sola was one of KEY's writers for Kanon.

Certainly that should give you a very good idea of what it's going to turn out to be?
Depressing as hell and fairly boring I gather, though I have been wrong.

Is there like any chance at all of him mixing it up and not doing the car crash, sickly-girl, I'm already kind of dead thing? How many other things has he written and is he the main scenario writer that makes a lot of KEY games follow a similar progression of plot?
Old 2007-04-15, 00:28   Link #307
Ascaloth

Quote:
Depressing as hell and fairly boring I gather, though I have been wrong.

Is there like any chance at all of him mixing it up and not doing the car crash, sickly-girl, I'm already kind of dead thing? How many other things has he written and is he the main scenario writer that makes a lot of KEY games follow a similar progression of plot?
That's where my knowledge ends. Sorry.

Although I'd really suggest you finish Kanon up first before embarking on this. If you even intended to in the first place, of course. That way, you can answer for yourself whether this is worth your attention.
Old 2007-04-15, 00:34   Link #308
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome View Post
This show is about Fujiwara Keiji as a badass motherfucker with a Katana going to slice up Noto Mamiko, thus putting it in the "Awesome" genre. Like, duh. Everyone knows that.
You deserve a cookie for making me laugh out loud.

Enjoy.
Old 2007-04-15, 00:35   Link #309
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
That's where my knowledge ends. Sorry.

Although I'd really suggest you finish Kanon up first before embarking on this. If you even intended to in the first place, of course. That way, you can answer for yourself whether this is worth your attention.
Well I don't know. Looking up his scripts on Wikipedia gives the impression he only really does one plot and its that of mystery and a bittersweet ending. I mean there's really only so many times you can do the same theme before you fall into a predicament like Stephen King. Then again, honestly a lot of Eroge have similar plot elements and theme's so he's probably no more guilty of recycling character archetypes and weird sounds then anybody else. That said with this one they at least seem to have started things off more interesting than Kanon from what I've read. It's a very hard decision, on the one hand I am wary of this writer because I perceive a lack of creativity, but on the other he seems to have mixed it up a little. I think for now I'm going to stay out of this one. This is the kind of show where I don't think I'm ready to watch until its all over. Plus I don't want to get caught up in anything I don't want to be a part of as usual. So I'm taking a new approach and putting it off so I don't get turned off as I'm a bit tired of Key stuff already to be honest (Seriously, it's everywhere this year as much as Mecha). Actually there is one thing that might get me to consider watching earlier and that is if its not broken down into some sort of character arc style plot (not to be confused with Plot-Arcs Involving Characters). I really don't like that style at all, which is one of the major reasons I don't care for most H-Game Conversions. So if it follows a linear progression without swapping out characters, that's where I'm more than happy to give it a chance.
Old 2007-04-15, 00:36   Link #310
Erawyn

Quote:

Very well then. Who amongst us here can provide the 3 volumes of Chinese-subbed mangas, then? Provide it in this thread, and I'll produce a translation log of them just like I did for the new Kanon manga.
Some quick forum searching, mofile codes for vol 1, 2, 3:

i would download them and read them except i'm forced with a dial up connection at the moment
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:39   Link #311
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
There is a sickly girl already, but she's not afflicted with any regular illness you see out there. In fact, her disease (and that of Matsuri, if it can be seen as one) is one of the most original points of the anime up until now, in a romance/drama/supernatural series with an already fairly original twist to it.

My suggestion: pick it up, taste it, and spit it if you don't like it. Don't go around assuming that it'll be bad just because you think the scriptwriter always does the same.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:41   Link #312
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
EDIT: And kodachrome just put himself in my gunsights for spouting out a crapload of bullshit. Unless he was just joking, of course...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
You deserve a cookie for making me laugh out loud.

Enjoy.
Gunsight from one, cookie from the other. I'll use Skane's cookie to deflect Ascaloth's bullet.

Quote:
On the last page or something, it said that "sola" is like original animu. That means that none of us have a clue because the series is new and there's no source material to spoil/predict off of.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:44   Link #313
Ascaloth

Quote:
Well I don't know. Looking up his scripts on Wikipedia gives the impression he only really does one plot and its that of mystery and a bittersweet ending. I mean there's really only so many times you can do the same theme before you fall into a predicament like Stephen King. Then again, honestly a lot of Eroge have similar plot elements and theme's so he's probably no more guilty of recycling character archetypes and weird sounds then anybody else. That said with this one they at least seem to have started things off more interesting than Kanon from what I've read. It's a very hard decision, on the one hand I am wary of this writer because I perceive a lack of creativity, but on the other he seems to have mixed it up a little. I think for now I'm going to stay out of this one. This is the kind of show where I don't think I'm ready to watch until its all over. Plus I don't want to get caught up in anything I don't want to be a part of as usual. So I'm taking a new approach and putting it off so I don't get turned off as I'm a bit tired of Key stuff already to be honest (Seriously, it's everywhere this year as much as Mecha).
Once again, if you replace the bolded word with 'Mecha', it still holds just as true.

And considering you only managed five episodes of Kanon, I'm surprised you can be 'sick' of it already. Meh, whatever.

All I will say is; if you think you won't like it, then what you're going to do is probably the best option. That is all.
Old 2007-04-15, 00:46   Link #314
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth's signature
Kaioshin-chan is SOOOOO moe!!!!. ~ Thought of the day.
Oh my God. You're guilty of making me wake up my family with my laughter.

Old 2007-04-15, 00:46   Link #315
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
There is a sickly girl already, but she's not afflicted with any regular illness you see out there. In fact, her disease (and that of Matsuri, if it can be seen as one) is one of the most original points of the anime up until now, in a romance/drama/supernatural series with an already fairly original twist to it.

My suggestion: pick it up, taste it, and spit it if you don't like it. Don't go around assuming that it'll be bad just because you think the scriptwriter always does the same.
I think I know what you mean actually from the theories. I can already see how it's going to end kind of (Frankly I'd be more surprised if the female lead doesn't die or something horrible happens to her, a mildy happy ending from this guy would be quite refreshing and leave much more of an impact than the same old bittersweet tragic one). Quick, quick question though, Character Arc or Plot Arc style of storytelling? Or wait nobody knows.

Ascaloth, I've actually done a lot of reading and been blindsided frequently with tidbits about Key, Kanon and preparation for Clannad etc. I wasn't really that interested, but the nature of the beast is that you can't avoid something that's popular, so now I know all about it. I've been reeducated. Ok remember when everybody was sick of Star Wars Episode 1 before it even came out (or at least I was)... hrmmm anyway that's almost how I feel about the idea of Little Busters the game and Clannad the anime. Too much exposure to rapidly, like everybody in the world desires me to know about it and so even though Sola isn't directly related to Key anymore than Phantom Menace is, I'm just weary of the Key aesthetic a bit. It could have picked a better time to be released in my case, as now it seems there's almost no point in time where something not related to Key isn't being released (Triple Negative, Ouch). Key and Key related stuff is just overexposed at the moment.

So unless it goes by Plot Arc (which would be enough of a change of pace), I'm going to wait and see what happens and then come back.
Old 2007-04-15, 00:48   Link #316
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Quick, quick question though, Character Arc or Plot Arc style of storytelling?
I think we haven't seen enough yet to point that out, but for now (and the fact that it's 12 episodes) I wouldn't put my money on character arc storytelling.

Old 2007-04-15, 00:52   Link #317
Boukenxha

Quote:

Well I'm not really sure this is the right place to do it as this is the fansubbed forum, maybe it will be better if you make a sola thread in the manga forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erawyn View Post

i would download them and read them except i'm forced with a dial up connection at the moment
Thanks, I'm in the process of uploading the archive to Megaupload though, looks like I don't need to.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 00:55   Link #318
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs down

Quote:
I think I know what you mean actually from the theories. I can already see how it's going to end kind of (Frankly I'd be more surprised if the female lead doesn't die or something horrible happens to her, a mildy happy ending from this guy would be quite refreshing and leave much more of an impact than the same old bittersweet tragic one). Quick, quick question though, Character Arc or Plot Arc style of storytelling?
We f***ing don't know. Which part of original material got lost in transition to your brain? Look, this is starting to get annoying. At least read through this thread before asking such questions. At 16 pages, it's hardly a chore to read all of it, and the posts have been very informative.

sola is similar to another series, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann(TTGL) in that none of the viewers are going to know where the series is heading for sure, or what path it will take to get there.

Maybe Matsuri will die. Maybe Matsuri will end up having triplets with Yorito. Maybe Matsuri is actually male and that's why Yorito will end up hating him.

We. Don't. Know.

Le SIGH.
Old 2007-04-15, 01:04   Link #319
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
We f***ing don't know. Which part of original material got lost in transition to your brain? Look, this is starting to get annoying. At least read through this thread before asking such questions. At 16 pages, it's hardly a chore to read all of it, and the posts have been very informative.

sola is similar to another series, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann(TTGL) in that none of the viewers are going to know where the series is heading for sure, or what path it will take to get there.

Maybe Matsuri will die. Maybe Matsuri will end up having triplets with Yorito. Maybe Matsuri is actually male and that's why Yorito will end up hating him.

We. Don't. Know.

Le SIGH.
Okay easy man. You keep jumping down my throat in every thread now.

I'm just trying to find out if there's any new information, as what I found wasn't as informative as I would have liked. I've read the thread before I made the post, but a lot of the information required viewing, so I'm looking for a bit of a gauge before I jump into something I'm not entirely sure on what the story is like or the themes. Take it easy...... I would almost call this a flame and it's not your style at all. What gives? Your the guy who always says "Cheers" at the end of his posts and I've never seen you lose your temper like this.

So no new information, alright, leave me in peace to post on some things, such as theories on the course it will take. I'm actually still very green in this area of anime, everything I postulate is a result of things learned within the past 5 or so months at an accelerated pace, so I'd say I'm still at a 5th grade level when it comes to these types of shows. I'm still looking for the perfect bridge series to ease me into these types of shows (Bridge series as in Idolmaster Xenoglossia being a bridge that is working to bring Idol fans into the Mecha scene) and so far Higurashi has helped tremendously, but one show can only take you so far and if its the type of show to blindside me to much it doesn't help. So this is what I'm trying to ascertain?

I thought maybe the Manga had already finished or something. I can't be expected to know all the facts surrounding the production of the series can I? As embarassing as this is I actually didn't know if "Original Material" meant the anime was original compared to the manga, the author's material was altered for the adaptation to a 12 episode series or what.

So can I have "Cheers" Skane back?

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-15 at 01:23.
Old 2007-04-15, 01:08   Link #320
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome View Post
Gunsight from one, cookie from the other. I'll use Skane's cookie to deflect Ascaloth's bullet.
Ah, but I haven't fired that bullet yet.

Even so though, I have to apologize for my belligerence. Not feeling too great these days (fever, sore throat and all), that's why I kinda misplaced my sense of humour as well. Still, sorry for declaring war on you so prematurely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erawyn View Post

Great! I'll download them, and I believe I should have at least 1 chapter's translation log by tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Oh my God. You're guilty of making me wake up my family with my laughter.
More reason for me to keep this sig around, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post
Well I'm not really sure this is the right place to do it as this is the fansubbed forum, maybe it will be better if you make a sola thread in the manga forum?
The problem with Sola is that it's the kind of series that needs its own sub-forum, if only to keep the anime, manga, and game threads concentrated in one place. Too bad it'll also never get one, though.

So.....what should I do once I've got the translation logs up? Post them here, or create a Sola thread in the manga forum as you say?

EDIT:

Quote:
Ascaloth, I've actually done a lot of reading and been blindsided frequently with tidbits about Key, Kanon and preparation for Clannad etc. I wasn't really that interested, but the nature of the beast is that you can't avoid something that's popular, so now I know all about it. I've been reeducated. Ok remember when everybody was sick of Star Wars Episode 1 before it even came out (or at least I was)... hrmmm anyway that's almost how I feel about the idea of Little Busters the game and Clannad the anime. Too much exposure to rapidly, like everybody in the world desires me to know about it and so even though Sola isn't directly related to Key anymore than Phantom Menace is, I'm just weary of the Key aesthetic a bit. It could have picked a better time to be released in my case, as now it seems there's almost no point in time where something not related to Key isn't being released (Triple Negative, Ouch). Key and Key related stuff is just overexposed at the moment.

So unless it goes by Plot Arc (which would be enough of a change of pace), I'm going to wait and see what happens and then come back.
If you replace the bolded words in this one with 'Mecha', it still holds just as true, too.

That is all.

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2007-04-15 at 01:23.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural