AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-01-08, 19:40   Link #21
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Wasn't there also a 'what-if', 'behind-the-scenes' parody arc being worked on by a couple people around here? Ayone have any info of that? I think this was the secret project Renall has mentioned a couple of times in the Spoilers thread?
it's a project Renall and I are both working on, since he's out of steam for Redacted right now. It's actually taking place in 1996 and is in continuity with Redacted; the idea is that a bunch of actors and Witch Hunter fanatics are acting out a Rokkenjima Murder Mystery Dinner for someone's birthday, and then a stranger playing Beatrice crashes the party...
Old 2012-01-08, 22:40   Link #22
goatkun

Oh good you guys have a thread now, this should be easier. Anyways rereading the teaparty seems like a must now.
goatkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 00:31   Link #23
WitchOfDoubt

Downloading When the Seacats Cry. It looks incredible. Geez, I'm going to need time to catch up on all of these.

---

I'm running an Umineko homage/puzzle thread on a forum devoted to riddles and logic puzzles, but I don't think it would appeal to Umineko fans as much as it appeals to riddle/cryptic crossword/logic puzzle fans; it's far too wildly different from Umineko. In particular, I deliberately avoid making it a Golden Age mystery or a deconstruction of Golden Age mysteries, because I don't consider myself well-versed enough in them, even if I've read and seen a few. This isn't going to be Murder on the Orient Express or something.

I want to write a story that does for riddles, puzzles, and "find the inheritance" classic text adventures what Umineko does for classic mysteries. So far, success is mixed.

Links: 1. The first post of the Prologue

2. The first post of Chapter 1

The ways the game is similar to/differs from Umineko in a nutshell: Similarities to and differences from the canon.
WitchOfDoubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 01:33   Link #24
Mr.Q

Jan-Poo, your riddle is driving me up the wall. I used photoshop and just started moving the tiles around in the picture in the "extra.rar" and came out with the same thing. Linked it back to the TIPS and everything but that STILL hasn't been enough.

I'm not sure if you left the readers more or not, but I have the "Find the Key" tip and I can't make too much of it...and I've spent hours staring it down.

I don't wanna post it up since it doesn't look like too many people have been paying enough attention for me to want to spoil that.

What kind of mad genius are you?! This is one hard puzzle!
Mr.Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 01:58   Link #25
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchOfDoubt View Post
Downloading When the Seacats Cry. It looks incredible. Geez, I'm going to need time to catch up on all of these.
Wait, is "When the Seacats Cry" a fanfic, or did you literally translate "Umineko" and are really talking about the main visual novel series, which really is incredible?

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 02:01   Link #26
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

It's Kinjo's Fangames. "Seacats" is a reference to an Umineko forum he frequented.
Old 2012-01-09, 09:24   Link #27
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post
Jan-Poo, your riddle is driving me up the wall. I used photoshop and just started moving the tiles around in the picture in the "extra.rar" and came out with the same thing. Linked it back to the TIPS and everything but that STILL hasn't been enough.

I'm not sure if you left the readers more or not, but I have the "Find the Key" tip and I can't make too much of it...and I've spent hours staring it down.
Wait a sec, you got the "find the key" screen?

Quote:
What kind of mad genius are you?! This is one hard puzzle!
Creating an impossible to solve riddle isn't particularly difficult.
Making a riddle that almost no one can solve while having a simple and straightforward solution is what really is challenging.

If by the time the solution is found (whether you find it or it is revealed) you'll facepalm yourself thinking "why I haven't thought about that?!" Then and only then you can tell me that I'm a mad genius.

However if when that happen you'll think "I would have never thought about that in a million years" that would mean my riddle failed.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 13:09   Link #28
Geekodot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
If by the time the solution is found (whether you find it or it is revealed) you'll facepalm yourself thinking "why I haven't thought about that?!" Then and only then you can tell me that I'm a mad genius.
If that happens you are officially Ushiromiya Kinzo.

Now back to reading the TIPS I guess. I wonder if Beatrice's tip is at all related, it does change in the Tea Party section when Battler says the password.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juEkoLXXoxo
Geekodot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 13:12   Link #29
Mr.Q

Quote:
Creating an impossible to solve riddle isn't particularly difficult. Making a riddle that almost no one can solve while having a simple and straightforward solution is what really is challenging.

However if when that happen you'll think "I would have never thought about that in a million years" that would mean my riddle failed.
That's a very good way to think about it and I agree. I have been thinking since the beginning that I have been over-complicating what I am looking at and that is what makes it so difficult. Of course, thinking that way doesn't bring me closer to a simpler way of looking at it yet.

And yes, I got the "find the key" screen. I got it by:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-01-09, 13:46   Link #30
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

I once found while traveling through the Sea of Internets a fangame that replicated the closed room logic error from EP6. Didn't ever manage to finish it, and now I lost it. Does anyone know where to find it?
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 14:27   Link #31
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

I noticed that
Spoiler for W&W:

Has anyone figured out what to do with this?
Old 2012-01-09, 14:36   Link #32
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
And yes, I got the "find the key" screen. I got it by:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for w&w riddle:

Old 2012-01-09, 15:19   Link #33
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
I once found while traveling through the Sea of Internets a fangame that replicated the closed room logic error from EP6. Didn't ever manage to finish it, and now I lost it. Does anyone know where to find it?
I believe it's called "Locked", and you can find it posted by Trollkastel on Youtube.
Old 2012-01-09, 15:24   Link #34
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Cool! Thanks.
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 16:26   Link #35
Mr.Q

Quote:
Spoiler for w&w riddle:

am I right?
You're right.

Spoiler for W&W Riddle:

Spoiler for Find the Key:
Old 2012-01-09, 18:00   Link #36
fujifruit

I enjoyed W&W until I got to:
Quote:
LOL DIDN'T SEE NO PROOF I CHEATING XD
fujifruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 18:13   Link #37
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Okay so Mr Q. already got past the "messaggio" and he's onto the next part. Now, that is the real riddle.

Old 2012-01-09, 18:44   Link #38
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

While we're on about fanworks, my friend and I have created a 'fan-mystery' roleplay on Gaia and the same vein as the actual visual novels. It's a game between the two of us: one of us is the GM and the other is the 'detective'.

So far, my friend has made something horrifying. This is his work:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/seri...-a/t.66370011/

This is my story:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/seri...-b/t.70447329/

This quality of writing on my part is not very good, but I feel like the two of us have made something worth reading.

(I want to figure this out for myself, if you feel like speculating then please put in spoilers~ thankies)
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 18:53   Link #39
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
A lot of people prefer to use the most popular Ren'py
http://renpy.org/

The pro of Ren'py is that it's a lot easier to use, the con is that you need to start from scratch and need to convert all the graphic you need.

I'm not familiar with the program, but maybe Renall can fill in the details, since he's using that for his "Witch Hunters Abroad".
My Renpy knowledge is quite limited. Oliver and a couple other people who don't seem to come around much anymore were much better at it and I've never been much of an expert. I will say that Jan-Poo is right about graphics and resources; unlike ONscripter hacking, which could easily use ep8's libraries, you'd have to extract everything to your Renpy game folder. There are two silver linings to this:
  • They can be in just about any format (I use PNG with a 1px black Inner Border for definition), which saves space.
  • With proper defines in RenPy, you can not only set up your directory structure to automatically initialize everything to be called with very simple defines (I have folders that mirror the NScripter one, but I use up to four letters for some new characters), and if you add or change something in the directory the engine does not throw its hands up and refuse to recognize the new stuff. Very nice, that.
And of course you're not bound to original resolutions or anything. I mean, I actually believe ONScripter isn't either, based on some work I saw people doing, but most folks who use ONScripter are going to want to stick with the resolution because it's easier. I stick with 480 vertical for much the same reason.
Quote:
And since I'm on the subject, I really enjoyed the first part of Renall's fan game, I want to read how it ends, and I want to see the fable sprites of the witch hunters, when will you finish it, Renall?!
Right so here's the story right now with Redaction...

I got kind of annoyed with certain aspects of it after reading ep8 and associated materials, not the least because RK07 totally stole ideas I had first man (not really). My main concern with it now is that I'm deeply dissatisfied with certain aspects of the "fantasy" (1986) side of things, which I wrote to be more like a traditional episode and thus have a lot of mystery elements in it. It's kind of important to the story, yet at the same time kind of only because that's what forgeries are expected to have in them. Some of the mysteries I felt were close to downright cheating, because I am not very good at writing mysteries. After ep8 and my indignation at that, I'm not feeling like being a complete hypocrite on that. That... kind of bothers me. I refuse to publish something that cheats, but I don't think I'm competent to get by without it.

I did greatly enjoy some of my fantasy battle setups. The problem was what was gluing them together, which is something that's bothering me a lot now. So I guess you could say I'm trying to determine what I ought to be doing with that.

The "mystery" (1996) side is stalled largely because the spritework never actually got done. I'm not paying anybody and was working with volunteers and friends. So I really wasn't expecting anybody to finish everything I'd asked about. ClockworkAngel finished a great Andromalius sprite which I have used the hell out of, but he had only gotten some early proofs and some headshots out of the way for some of the new characters before he got busy with school and some other stuff. I didn't want to push somebody for already doing so much work for a project that wasn't even his, so I haven't really followed up on that since. Oliver also did a bunch of neat stuff, including Sorcerer Battler portrait sets, new Battler poses, and the ability for Krauss and Hideyoshi to actually raise a gun. Very hard to notice they're not in the original portraits, great work.

I was also having some issues with getting 1996 out of my head and onto paper. The fundamental idea has not changed as a story since I first came up with it as a short story unto itself back around the time ep4 came out. I know exactly how it begins, transitons, and ends. However, it's got a very difficult narrative style and it's one I have to get just right to be satisfied with. The advantage of writing the 1986 sections is I was intentionally aping Ryukishi and it gets a lot easier when you know how somebody would probably write something (more or less).

So the best I can tell you is the project is... happening, at some point, but take that as you will given that it's been like two and a half years and I've not done much of anything for 6-8 months on it. It might just be too bloated now to adequately fix.

Given these issues, I decided to tinker with a new short story as AuraTwilight described. The tinkering is going well, but the story has run way longer than I had originally intended. I do think it's on track to actually be finished, especially since I decided to intentionally restrict myself to the original portrait set (mostly) through... cleverness. Which I used in previews to be as misleading as possible.
Spoiler for Depicted: Varying Degrees of Cleverness:
A minor correction: The setting is actually not 1996, but "contemporary." I'd put it somewhere in the late 2000s, but not after 2010. I suppose you could go with 2006 for poetic reasons but there's no actual significance to the date so don't be cute. Let's go with 2009. The important facts: It's set in America. The characters are (mostly) American. It's set in the "present day" of a world similar to Ange's future (whether that's R-Prime is your call). What that world is like... well you'll see.

The portraits you see may not quite jive with the people you remember... well now we've kind of let the cat out of the bag as to why.

And also here's the intro. Watch in 480p or it looks awful.
Spoiler for This Summer Comes a Spike Lee & AuraTwilight Joint:
Small editing error due to some pronoun corrections in the last scene and I couldn't be arsed to rerecord it all. Also the colors seem wrong but I'm not sure how to fix that without maybe switching over to Premiere, which I don't have set up for this resolution.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 23:05   Link #40
Mr.Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
I noticed that
Spoiler for W&W:
If that's really important then...
Spoiler for W&W Riddle:

I'm not sure if this is off-base. After reading it, it is certainly appropriate given the theme of Umineko and "W&W".

There ARE probably some more clues that could be used in
Spoiler for "W&W Riddle:

Still unable to find some kind of pattern though...