AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-29, 23:41   Link #20601
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
They should just nix the both of them. Efficiency is not our forte, it seems...
That is so the freaking truth.
Old 2012-03-29, 23:42   Link #20602
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

What is weird is that of all those, the one I use the least is the dime. Usually you use quarters, then nickles, than pennies to get change done. The dime is smaller, but usually you can make change without it the way things are usually priced these days.

That and while some machines take them, there are no longer dime slot machines in places like Reno. You might find a nickle machine, but not a dime version as they are too small and sometimes mess up the innards.

Trouble is, that if they remove the penny and nickle...they likely have to remove the quarter as well since they would round to the nearest ten (dime) and thus nothing would ever be worth a quarter of a dollar...just twenty or thirty cents. But then you could just remove a zero from the currency and the dime is a penny, and the dollar is a dime. Lincoln would be on the 50 cent piece (of paper).

Of course then you get interesting things happening. We have old tenth of a penny coins ($0.001), the half penny ($0.005), the penny, the 2 and a half cent nickle ($0.025), the five cent nickle, and paper dime. The paper Fifth ($0.20). The paper half dollar ($0.50). The dollar, the two dollar, the five dollar, and the ten dollar. All these are present day dollars and cents reduced by one decimal place.
$0.001 Lincoln (removed)
$0.005 Jefferson (removed)
$0.01 FDR
$0.025 Washingon (potentally removed)
$0.05 Kennedy
$0.10 Washington (paper version only)
$0.20 Jefferson (potentally refitted to replace the old Quarter)
$0.50 Lincoln
$1.00 Hamilton
$2.00 Jackson
$5.00 Grant
$10.00 Franklin
(Looks like we need new printed money....Need to pay for a new computer for more than $50)

You could get several Euros for every "dollar" though.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-03-30 at 00:09.
Old 2012-03-30, 03:38   Link #20603
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Oh God, not this asshat:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17549388
Old 2012-03-30, 04:10   Link #20604
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Springtime in Cuba?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82S16P20120329
Old 2012-03-30, 08:07   Link #20605
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

And a possible nuclear winter in Asia :

Insight: Obama's North Korean leap of faith turns to ashes

Japan goes off script at nuclear summit to slam North Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comment
Here’s a thought…they launch, they get no aid. I don’t know why we give in to their games. Throw the few hundreds tons of food to the poor in America, not North Korea. Maybe they will get the picture.
As much as I want the malnourished NK civilians to receive aid, I think dropping enough thermobaric munitions to level the entire place would be a much better option. Death is a mercy compared to suffering.

LMT and RTN are going up. Let's hope they don't get ready for war and keep alongside the sentiment of sell-in-May, and thus the business cycle. Besides, jeopardising Obama's chance in politics has problems twofold - the arms industry is going to keep going up and money is going to flow out of the other sectors towards there, we lose the last shot at cleaning up this damn financial mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Currently the "melt price" (silver content value) of a single 1964 year quarter (25 cent piece) or earlier is about $5.80 as of today (3/29/12).
Silver is hovering between $32-33 per troy ounce, approximately $1.06 per gram. Copper is $3.80-$3.85 per pound, approximately $0.008 per gram. I read from Wiki that an American penny is 4.4oz, which is around 124g, meaning it costs close to $0.025 per penny (copper content 2.5%). Can someone please tell me, why does the PLATING cost more than the coin itself in US?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2012-03-30 at 08:24.
Old 2012-03-30, 09:02   Link #20606
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
As much as I want the malnourished NK civilians to receive aid, I think dropping enough thermobaric munitions to level the entire place would be a much better option. Death is a mercy compared to suffering.
That could be a excuse for the next republican to get in the White House if he would want to start a new war, or at least a less hypocrit one.
Old 2012-03-30, 11:39   Link #20607
GundamFan0083

D.C. Selects Medical Marijuana Cultivation Centers

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...143445.html?dr

Apple gadget maker has 'significant' labor issues: audit

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/apple-gadge...215038438.html

Obama Campus Fervor Losing to Apathy as Students Sour on 2012

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...r-on-2012.html
Old 2012-03-30, 14:28   Link #20608
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
And a possible nuclear winter in Asia :

Insight: Obama's North Korean leap of faith turns to ashes

Japan goes off script at nuclear summit to slam North Korea

I don't understand their leadership. Are they legitimately insane? Are they suicidal? They have to know that if they keep acting like this the rest of the world is going to wipe them off the face of the planet...
Old 2012-03-30, 14:33   Link #20609
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I don't understand their leadership. Are they legitimately insane? Are they suicidal? They have to know that if they keep acting like this the rest of the world is going to wipe them off the face of the planet...
They know that aching-heart societies, namely a few subsidiaries of HRW and some international charities, will stand between them and the rest of the world from wiping them out. All of us know that those idiots cannot seem to understand the concept of suffering is worse than death.

As much as I respect the saints who lead the organisations to build a more human world, sometimes they need to stand aside and let us flatten those blockheads into oblivion, collateral damage or not.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-30, 14:37   Link #20610
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
not likely since the West won't accept take the kind of casualties that would result form a war with NK. The media is talking about the four thousand us soldier that died in Iraq over 10 years as if it was some huge number. 4k is less then some of the battles in the Civil War, WWI, WWII, KW and Vietnam.
Old 2012-03-30, 15:48   Link #20611
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
not likely since the West won't accept take the kind of casualties that would result form a war with NK. The media is talking about the four thousand us soldier that died in Iraq over 10 years as if it was some huge number. 4k is less then some of the battles in the Civil War, WWI, WWII, KW and Vietnam.
Sure, I don't like the U.S. soldiers dying in combat, but it really bothers me how some people will make a big deal about 4,000 U.S. soldier's deaths over 10 years but could care less about the 100,000+ civilians that have died in Iraq and Afghanistan in the same period of time.
Old 2012-03-30, 15:57   Link #20612
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Sure, I don't like the U.S. soldiers dying in combat, but it really bothers me how some people will make a big deal about 4,000 U.S. soldier's deaths over 10 years but could care less about the 100,000+ civilians that have died in Iraq and Afghanistan in the same period of time.
Because the psychological impact of Afghans and Iraqis dying is much less profound than someone from your own country dying? Whether you like it or not, most people do not value human lives equally.
Old 2012-03-30, 16:02   Link #20613
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Because the psychological impact of Afghans and Iraqis dying is much less profound than someone from your own country dying? Whether you like it or not, most people do not value human lives equally.
but does the media have to make such a big deal of 4000 casualty in over 10 yrs? We got more murders than in California over a 10 yr span then 4k.
Old 2012-03-30, 22:04   Link #20614
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Brazil prosecutor plans wider offshore oil probe
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82T1CK20120330
I am currious to see how much this will cost to Chevron at thye end of this ,
Old 2012-03-30, 22:38   Link #20615
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
but does the media have to make such a big deal of 4000 casualty in over 10 yrs? We got more murders than in California over a 10 yr span then 4k.
Remember that in older wars it wasn't always the weapons that directly caused casualties. Soldiers were lucky if they died right away. The rest had to deal with infections, amputations, diseases, bleeding, and all sorts of nasty stuff. Our modern field medics are wizards compared to how things used to be. This has a downside though - the lives are more likely to be saved, but the injuries still remain. Many so traumatizing that the survivors wished they hadn't been saved.

It's not just the lives lost, but what the survivors have to live with. Remember that the point of Iraq and Afghanistan was to retaliate against the people who committed 9/11. I'm sure the terrorists thought it was worth those small amount of lives too, for the chance to kill thousands and bring a nation to its knees. 4000 may not seem like much, but when you consider that many of those lives were of young men and women who were but mere elementary school children back in 2001, it says enough.
Old 2012-03-30, 22:56   Link #20616
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
The rest of the world isn't going to do that.

Frankly, I find almost any discussions on DPRK to be full of crackpot speculations. DPRK is rational, it's just not the kind of rational a post-modern pacifist society can accept. This basic fact is what makes most writings on DPRK to be as fantastic as how Western Europe described the outside world half a millennium ago.
Old 2012-03-31, 03:28   Link #20617
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama says enough world oil to crack down on Iran
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82S1FD20120330
But as long as there's China....
Old 2012-03-31, 21:31   Link #20618
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
It is just that for some people in this country, an American soldier dying is the worst, because, you know, it is an American life, which is a more important life than any other type of life, especially when compared to dark skinned people who believe in a different god and live in some God forsaken dessert. I posted some picture taken from a white mother (American) taken from an online post (social media post), and she was talking about that U.S. soldier that killed 17 Afghanistan people, and she was downplaying his crime and even called the people he killed "just a bunch of savages" and that "they are primitive people". I mean, really? It just boggles my mind how some people can be.
Old 2012-03-31, 21:39   Link #20619
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
It is just that for some people in this country, an American soldier dying is the worst, because, you know, it is an American life, which is a more important life than any other type of life, especially when compared to dark skinned people who believe in a different god and live in some God forsaken dessert. I posted some picture taken from a white mother (American) taken from an online post (social media post), and she was talking about that U.S. soldier that killed 17 Afghanistan people, and she was downplaying his crime and even called the people he killed "just a bunch of savages" and that "they are primitive people". I mean, really? It just boggles my mind how some people can be.
Basically, she just proved herself to be a poster child for the "pot==kettle" adage. She's just as "primitive and savage" because basically she's asserting "only her tribe are the People" and the rest are edible or something.
Old 2012-03-31, 21:53   Link #20620
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Saudi summer oil burn should decline this year
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82T0NZ20120330

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international