Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-22, 14:10   Link #21
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Margot
I think that Geneon bought Pioneer a while back so that technically everything that Geneon produces is instantaneously liscenced in N. America.
Heh. No. Correct me if I'm wrong. Geneon USA is co-producing this show. There's a thread about Geneon USA in the credits somewhere in this forum. And Pioneer's anime producing/licensing branch renamed to Geneon. Geneon did not buy Pioneer.

Anyone know the name of the seiyuu for Nanoka? Her voice is one of the things that make me like this show more... it resembles some anime voice I've heard recently, perhaps from GSG.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 14:14   Link #22
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

how can you enjoy a show about incest? There are somethings I'll never understand...
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 14:22   Link #23
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu
Anyone know the name of the seiyuu for Nanoka? Her voice is one of the things that make me like this show more... it resembles some anime voice I've heard recently, perhaps from GSG.
I love her voice too.
Yuuki NAKAMURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
how can you enjoy a show about incest? There are somethings I'll never understand...
I can enjoy it because it's not me and my sister. The 3rd party perspective makes it a non-issue for me. It's just 2 characters in a show. Even in real life, I wouldn't have a problem hearing about it. It'd just be two people.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 15:19   Link #24
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRoRuleZ
As a brother having a sister 12 years younger than me I cannot tell you how much I adore this series besides the touching visual presentation. It's also true that I did not notice the full bloom of nearby sakura trees this year.

My sister was 12 when she moved from our parents to stay with me for her secondary school study but it was shortly before my wife moved in. At that time, as a solely sister among three very old brothers, she was already spoilt by our parents. As a new couple, I spent most of my time caring my wife therefore I was very careless with my sister, unfortunately. I always criticised her behaviour so she did not like me as much as when she was a young innocent girl. Our relationship was very distant. Now I wish I could be caring my sister to a higher level than I did and I wish our relationship could be more closer. She is now 25 and I have not seen her for 4 years.

After watching episode 3 on Thursday night I decided to collect the manga for this series and trust me I cannot read most of them. I went to 5 bookstores in my area, 3 large and 2 small bookstores. The two small bookstores did not have Koi Kaze on shelves. All three large bookstores had Vol. 1 and two of them had Vol. 4. None of them had Vol. 2 and 3. A storegirl of one bookstore apologised right away for not having them in stock when I asked her to locate Vol. 2 and 3. Later my online bookstore search revealed that Vol. 2 and 3 were out of stock everywhere. In the end I got only Vol. 1 & 4.

!!!! SPOILERS !!!!

Since I am always a spoiler man. DO NOT click the links below unless your heart strongly desire.

Koi Kaze Vol. 4, page 132

Koi Kaze Vol. 4, page 208-209

Koi Kaze Vol. 4, page 210, END

HaRoRuleZ
Nice!

After reading your post, I have checked out the first two episodes of this series and can safely say that I am hooked. Like someone said earlier, the series has this soothing effect which is pretty rare in animated shows. I also don't believe this series is leaning on any incestual theme. It seems, episode three has been released by AS. Off to dl it.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 15:54   Link #25
Mr.Minou

hmmmmm so in the end

Spoiler:
Mr.Minou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 16:37   Link #26
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
Like someone said earlier, the series has this soothing effect which is pretty rare in animated shows.
Although no one asked if you like the mood of this show, I'd recomend Piano. It felt similar to me but without the loli incest.
Old 2004-04-22, 17:00   Link #27
Rem Margot
Darling bud of May.

I just watched Ep. 3. Once again, I was struck by how finely nuanced this series is. One scene manages to be poignant, romantic and--a little painful.

Spoiler:
Rem Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 21:30   Link #28
Za Paper

I like Nanoka's voice too. More anime need to pick VA's who are the same age as the characters they play. One thing I dont like was the blatant fanservice. The underwear and locker room scenes just ruin the mood. Oh and her in the toilet stall. There was no reason to show that.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 21:41   Link #29
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
One thing I dont like was the blatant fanservice. The underwear and locker room scenes just ruin the mood.
You know, underwear and locker rooms are a part of life, too.

I'm amused by people's idea of what constitutes "blatant fanservice." It's one of the more amusing subjective thoughts on anime, to me.
Old 2004-04-22, 21:46   Link #30
Rem Margot
Darling bud of May.

Quote:
I like Nanoka's voice too. More anime need to pick VA's who are the same age as the characters they play. One thing I dont like was the blatant fanservice. The underwear and locker room scenes just ruin the mood. Oh and her in the toilet stall. There was no reason to show that.
I don't think that's really fanservice. We saw a flat-chested, adolescent girl changing into her gym gear, and then changing a feminine pad. That's about as a-sexual as it gets, ne?
Old 2004-04-22, 22:10   Link #31
Za Paper

Quote:
I don't think that's really fanservice. We saw a flat-chested, adolescent girl changing into her gym gear, and then changing a feminine pad. That's about as a-sexual as it gets, ne?
The fanservice in Koi Kaze isnt the type most people are used to seeing. Usually its the kind like in Bakaretsu Tenshi, scantily clad large chested girls. The less common realistic, girl-next-door type, like Nanoka, appeals to a lot of anime fans as well. This anime definitely looks to be targeted at the seinen crowd.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 22:42   Link #32
LinChoiSin

Quote:
The fanservice in Koi Kaze isnt the type most people are used to seeing. Usually its the kind like in Bakaretsu Tenshi, scantily clad large chested girls. The less common realistic, girl-next-door type, like Nanoka, appeals to a lot of anime fans as well. This anime definitely looks to be targeted at the seinen crowd.
i really don't think that there's fanservice in koi kaze ,it just seems to show reality ,i wasn't really pleased with the toilet shot but i see nothing wrong with it.i'm starting to really love this anime because it's simple and touching.
LinChoiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 23:42   Link #33
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I am enjoying this series a lot. The production quality is very good. This show has far less erotic content than plenty of others lately - actually zero. Any suggestiveness real or imagined is gently mocked. I am up for whatever is going to happen because the characters are likable and seem like sensible people (come to think of it, Onegai Twins was kind of lacking in sensible characters).

Anything Itou Masumi has a song on I always like, which is kind of strange, because I thought her voice was really weird the first time I heard it.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 23:47   Link #34
Rem Margot
Darling bud of May.

Quote:
"Seinen"=male? I think it's rather pointless and reductive to classify KK as either shoujo or seinen. Does it have to be one or the other? Does showing a laundered bra, or a girls' changeroom necessarily have to signal something sexually suggestive? Right now, I'm going to go with "it's a slice-of-life drama" view until the anime develops otherwise.
Old 2004-04-23, 00:04   Link #35
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
"Seinen"=male? I think it's rather pointless and reductive to classify KK as either shoujo or seinen...
Not really, as it accounts for the presence of some of the content. It's always the case that knowing the target audience for a series will give the viewer some idea of what to expect. I agree with Za Paper's assessment.
Old 2004-04-23, 00:27   Link #36
Rem Margot
Darling bud of May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Not really, as it accounts for the presence of some of the content. It's always the case that knowing the target audience for a series will give the viewer some idea of what to expect. I agree with Za Paper's assessment.
What if the target is "Audiences between [insert age group]"? Do the presence of sakura blossoms, or underpants automatically shout "shoujo! seinen!"?

I think, for some series, that's the case. But KK seems to be working on a more subtle level than that. I honestly didn't get the impression that the scene of Nanoka's friend changing clothes was done to titillate the viewer, rather, to simply show it as it as: changing clothes, getting the cramps, wearing shapeless sweat-pants and shirts--this is the approximation of real life.
Old 2004-04-23, 01:18   Link #37
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
What if the target is "Audiences between [insert age group]"? Do the presence of sakura blossoms, or underpants automatically shout "shoujo! seinen!"?
That is basically a backwards reading of what is being discussed. The target audience is almost always determined by the source material, unless the anime is written straight to the small screen. Manga and game adaptations are counting on the manga or game fans to watch the anime, that's how they sold the project. Age groups are definitely targeted; mahou shoujo, for instance tends to be cheaply made and repetitious because younger audiences are not bored by that.

I find it tiresome to argue about this sort of thing because it is easy to simply watch shows and make (usually misguided) claims about "all-audience," but pinpointing the target audience involves closer viewing and sometimes doing a bit of research.

Koi Kaze is based on a seinen manga. In the adaptation some of the humor is downplayed in order to make the series a bit more inviting to a more general audience. But what's left over is definitely seinen humor.

Quote:
...I honestly didn't get the impression that the scene of Nanoka's friend changing clothes was done to titillate the viewer, rather, to simply show it as it as: changing clothes, getting the cramps, wearing shapeless sweat-pants and shirts--this is the approximation of real life.
I don't find that stuff incredibly titillating either, and I take no interest in anyone's squeamishness about any of it. It's a lot more believable than plenty of shounen manga or anime with the breast jokes and contrived situations.

But there were 3 underwear jokes in episode 3, and focusing somewhat voyeuristic attention on a young girl is at least suggestive.
Old 2004-04-23, 01:28   Link #38
Rem Margot
Darling bud of May.

Quote:
I find it tiresome to argue about this sort of thing because it is easy to simply watch shows and make (usually misguided) claims about "all-audience," but pinpointing the target audience involves closer viewing and sometimes doing a bit of research.
I don't mean to be rude...but what does making educated guesses at the target audience amount to? You mention that female underwear-jokes suggest the show's seinen-flavour. If that's true, then the scene was created to fill the requirements of the genre, instead of having another purpose (e.g., naturalism, slice-of-life, etc.) This strikes me as reductive.

Quote:
Koi Kaze is based on a seinen manga.
Again, forgive my ignorance, but what's the evidence for this?

Last edited by Rem Margot; 2004-04-23 at 01:39.
Old 2004-04-23, 02:15   Link #39
HaRoRuleZ
Gundam Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
Maybe you are not old enough or have enough experience in life to see the beauty of this show.

Fortget about "INCEST," even until the last page of the manga this term can never apply. LOVE, INNOCENCE, PASSION, and INDECENCY can apply.

Forget about "PEDOPHILE," Koshiro is not that type of man. He is a fully grown adult that loves his former adult girlfriend but fails to manage their relationship. Unlike his colleague that shows interest in high shool girls. He feels uncomfortable to have a young girl, who is merely a stranger to him except their blood relationship, stay with him. It is not easy for a male adult to comfort young girl who is full of expectations from you while preserving your own lonely life (heart-broken life). Shading tears in front of a stranger-turned-sister in ferris wheel always aches his thought and so embarrassing to his adulthood.

The situations lead Koshiro to some degrees of PERVERSION but the story is not about it. Males always have perversion to some extent then SO WHAT.

Quote:
One thing I dont like was the blatant fanservice. The underwear and locker room scenes just ruin the mood. Oh and her in the toilet stall. There was no reason to show that.
That is a part of the manga. The anime is more polite than the manga. It is another angle to tell the story which is a part of life. Is there something wrong with a girl having menstruation? I have already seen 4 episodes and the manga, there is no nudity or fanservice to be expected.

The anime tones down a talk-of-the-town scene in episode 4. See it then you know which one. It is natural for that behaviour when you have a lot of conflicts in your head.

As a middle age adult I can say this story is good for male adults, young females up, parents with brother and sister at some age distance, any male with younger sister, and anime fans wanting to have their feet on the ground. Those who finding the ways to abuse their sisters should see something else, it is not about that.

If you are a male with younger sister you propably adore your sister than before and may stop some harshness againts her. Females are fragile you know.

Koi Kaze is beautiful. Seeing this story in anime form is more wonderful despite several elements concerning the story development in the manga are removed from the anime. YOU HAVE TO SEE WHY THE STORY DEVELOPS TO END THAT WAY SHOULD YOU CLICK MY SPOILER LINKS BEFORE.

I SEE BEAUTY. I LOVE THIS SHOW.

HaRoRuleZ

P.S. The manga is beautiful. The drawings are fine and sharp. If you are a collector do not miss. Seeing Nanoka's eyes is some kind of refreshment. After hopping from store to store in different areas to find Vol. 2 and 3 I was exhausted. Finally I got Vol. 2 from Amazon JP (currently out of stock but you can get Vol. 1 & 4) which arrived my door this morning. Even Google returns many online bookstores but most of them will lead to Amazon JP for ordering.

http://www.junkudo.co.jp has significant stock of Vol. 1-3 and ship overseas but all processes are in Japanese. Vol. 3 from this site is on its way to me.

Last edited by HaRoRuleZ; 2004-04-23 at 02:44.
HaRoRuleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 02:36   Link #40
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
I don't mean to be rude...but what does making educated guesses at the target audience amount to?
I have read some of the manga. I am not "guessing" at anything. I have no interest in discussing this any further with you.

Tags
romance, seinen