AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-04, 17:58   Link #25601
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Now I have to go watch all the seasons of Justice League again .. especially the Wonder Woman x Batman episodes ..
I love the two seasons of Justice League. A shame it ended. Young Justice is okay, but it's hard to keep up with since CN can't build a good animation block anymore (and generally seems to favor cheap comedy over action shows now). I mostly do random internet catch ups. The DC movies are generally outstanding though.
Old 2013-01-04, 18:09   Link #25602
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I love the two seasons of Justice League. A shame it ended. Young Justice is okay, but it's hard to keep up with since CN can't build a good animation block anymore (and generally seems to favor cheap comedy over action shows now). I mostly do random internet catch ups. The DC movies are generally outstanding though.
..2 seasons? What about the 3 seasons of JLU? I was also a big fan of all of Bruce Timm's work with Batman TAS, Superman TAS .. and the crossovers
Old 2013-01-04, 18:58   Link #25603
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I count JL and JLU as their own seasons. It's easier to wrap my head around the changes between the two. It's unfortunate that the high quality of storytelling in the animated series and features hasn't translated to the live action stuff.
Old 2013-01-04, 19:47   Link #25604
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Why I won’t be cheering for old Notre Dame

Quote:
Well, since you asked — and many of my friends have, some more than once — no, I will not be cheering for my alma mater, the University of Notre Dame, to win big-time college football’s championship on Jan. 7. What’s really surprising me are those who believe as I do that two players on the team have committed serious criminal acts – sexual assault in one case, and rape in another — but assumed that I’d support the team anyway, just as they are.
“Aren’t you just a little bit excited?” one asked the other day. There are plenty of good guys on the team, too, I’m repeatedly told. And oh, that Manti Te’o is inspiring. I don’t doubt it. But as a thought exercise, how many predators would have to be on the team before you’d no longer feel like cheering?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ld-notre-dame/

Old 2013-01-04, 20:10   Link #25605
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

New food safety rules aim for more accountability
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9030MB20130104
Quote:
"These proposed regulations are a sign of progress," said Caroline Smith DeWaal, food safety director at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, who has been a critic of the FDA. "The new law should transform the FDA from an agency that tracks down outbreaks after the fact to an agency focused on preventing food contamination in the first place."
Old 2013-01-04, 20:43   Link #25606
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
New food safety rules aim for more accountability
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9030MB20130104
How much do you think Brawndo will pay to "fund" FDA to do this?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-05, 12:56   Link #25607
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Aurora, Colorado is in the news again.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...situation?lite

Police: 4 dead, including gunman in Aurora, Colo., hostage situation

Quote:
Three people were found dead inside a home in Aurora, Colo., after a gunman took them hostage early Saturday morning, police told NBC affiliate KUSA. The gunman was also shot and killed by police after hours of failed negotiation attempts.

Another person who had been inside the house was able to escape and alert authorities, KUSA reported

Officers were called to a town home around 3 a.m. after reports of shots fired. Several nearby homes were evacuated for safety reasons and police sent out emergency notifications for the other residents in the area.

Sgt. Cassidee Carlson of the Aurora Police Department told KUSA police had spoken on the phone with the suspect, and negotiators were at the scene.

It is unclear whether the people were related to each other or knew each other.

Aurora, the city that was the scene of a mass shooting last summer, was stirred this week by news that the theater in which 12 people were killed and 58 were wounded was reopening. The movie house chain's owner invited the victims’ families to a special event marking the Jan. 17 reopening, sparking their outrage and a threat to boycott the event on social media

Also this week, a judge set a preliminary hearing for accused Colorado movie theater gunman James Holmes for Monday. The hearing is expected to last the entire week. Hundreds of people, including victims, their family members, and members of the public are expected to come.
Old 2013-01-05, 13:03   Link #25608
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Nebraska environment report favors revised Keystone XL pipe plan
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9030JC20130104
Quote:
The controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline received a boost on Friday when Nebraska regulators said its proposed new route would avoid many of the ecologically-sensitive areas that led the U.S. government to block it last year.
Old 2013-01-05, 19:14   Link #25609
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I love Justice League and JL Unlimited as well. I have really enjoyed Young Justice so far, but its airing schedule has been a nightmare... which reminds me, it should be returning to the air this month, if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Better source material for that article I guess:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ons-orbit.html

Their target is a 7 meter wide asteroid.

That doesn't sound worth it to me, though it isn't really dangerous (the small article doesn't give that little bit out so it brings out all the bad thoughts about mile wide asteroids planet killers)

On the other hand that is about the size of a small house I suppose. I just could be off because I don't generally messure things in meters. At least not in the single digits. I use feet for that.
I find this idea rather fascinating, but I'll admit I pondered a sci-fi disaster movie scenario upon first reading the headline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
^ Cool. It worked in Zimbabwe.
Yeah, these 'get out of jail free card' solutions should be viewed with more skepticism by people who are supposed to be public officials, but alas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Aurora, Colorado is in the news again.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...situation?lite

Police: 4 dead, including gunman in Aurora, Colo., hostage situation
That's too bad that that community has been so tainted from the acts of a few people. Not sure I understand the allusion to reactions of outrage from victims' families regarding the theater reopening? Why are they outraged exactly?
Old 2013-01-06, 08:52   Link #25610
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Catholic Church closes London's gay-friendly "Soho Masses"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9010KU20130102
Quote:
The Catholic Church will stop gay-friendly Masses in the central London church that has held them for the past six years, London's archbishop said on Wednesday.
The 18th-century church in Soho, the heart of London's gay scene, has been hosting the twice-monthly Masses with the support of the local Church hierarchy, but Archbishop Vincent Nichols said in a statement that gay Catholics should attend Mass in their local parishes rather going to separate services.
Old 2013-01-06, 13:59   Link #25611
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Catholic Church closes London's gay-friendly "Soho Masses"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9010KU20130102
Yeah, they totally didn't do that to show how firmly they were against legalizing gay marriage. Totally didn't do it.

Suspiciously specific denial, ain't it?
Old 2013-01-07, 07:19   Link #25612
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

John Brennan tapped to lead CIA
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...824.html?hp=f3
Quote:
President Barack Obama will announce Monday that he’s nominating the White House’s point person on counterterrorism, John Brennan, to be the next director of the Central Intelligence Agency, White House officials told POLITICO.

Brennan, a 25-year veteran of the CIA, currently holds the title of Deputy National Security Adviser for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism. He’s expected to appear with Obama later Monday at a White House event where the president will also announce his nomination of former Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) to be the next defense secretary.
Is that a good choice?
Old 2013-01-07, 07:24   Link #25613
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
John Brennan tapped to lead CIA
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...824.html?hp=f3
Quote:
President Barack Obama will announce Monday that he’s nominating the White House’s point person on counterterrorism, John Brennan, to be the next director of the Central Intelligence Agency, White House officials told POLITICO.

Brennan, a 25-year veteran of the CIA, currently holds the title of Deputy National Security Adviser for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism. He’s expected to appear with Obama later Monday at a White House event where the president will also announce his nomination of former Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) to be the next defense secretary.
Is that a good choice?
They should nominate someone who had done field work - most of the CIA heads look like they are just simple Case Officers instead of the seasoned paramilitary from the SAD.

Look at their faces - you don't see heavy weathering or that heartbroken murderer's look in their eyes. Spymasters shouldn't be those satellite analysts, it should be those men on the ground - they know best what drives the "freedom fighters" and "defectors" they work with, it is no different from the people they are defending against.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2013-01-07 at 07:36.
Old 2013-01-07, 08:44   Link #25614
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
They should nominate someone who had done field work - most of the CIA heads look like they are just simple Case Officers instead of the seasoned paramilitary from the SAD.

Look at their faces - you don't see heavy weathering or that heartbroken murderer's look in their eyes. Spymasters shouldn't be those satellite analysts, it should be those men on the ground - they know best what drives the "freedom fighters" and "defectors" they work with, it is no different from the people they are defending against.
Except the majority of intelligence gathering isn't often something involving a guy running around with a machine gun. It IS basically doing analysis on various sources of intelligence, trying to collaborate them, and seeing if they fit into the big picture.

It doesn't make sense to make the head of the CIA a seasoned paramilitary commando when the main objective of the CIA isn't to do paramilitary commando things.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:07   Link #25615
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Except the majority of intelligence gathering isn't often something involving a guy running around with a machine gun. It IS basically doing analysis on various sources of intelligence, trying to collaborate them, and seeing if they fit into the big picture.

It doesn't make sense to make the head of the CIA a seasoned paramilitary commando when the main objective of the CIA isn't to do paramilitary commando things.
These paramilitary guys are the "sourcers", they do the same work as their fellow colleagues in the office or at embassies, but they have a better discretion at using "unknown force" as they handle the more "violent" work.

It is going to be a bloody decade ahead; there might even be an armed conflict in Europe and North Africa; Syria and Libya are just the beginning.

Exclusion drives Central African Republic revolt and, this time, France won't intervene

Doom scenario far-fetched but euro gloom to deepen

Old 2013-01-07, 14:03   Link #25616
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Map: Where are the gun permits in your neighborhood?
http://www.lohud.com/interactive/art...nclick_check=1
Following the news: After Pinpointing Gun Owners, Paper Is a Target
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/ny...-a-target.html
It wasn't that good of a idea to begin with, no?
Old 2013-01-07, 15:45   Link #25617
Lightning_Wing

No, it was an awful idea. And it's incredibly sickening how the president of the paper refuses to admit that, and instead she says that journalists should be able to "take criticism" and tries to make herself and employees look like victims over her own mistake. Stupidity.
Old 2013-01-07, 17:39   Link #25618
kyp275
Meh

The threats etc. are obviously over the line, but frankly not something that's really unexpected, especially given the way the newspaper published the information, with a not-so-subtle implication that all legal gun owners are potential murderers.
Old 2013-01-07, 19:13   Link #25619
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Wing View Post
No, it was an awful idea. And it's incredibly sickening how the president of the paper refuses to admit that, and instead she says that journalists should be able to "take criticism" and tries to make herself and employees look like victims over her own mistake. Stupidity.
Agreed. My first response was - lets have all the personal data of the newspaper employees published. names, addresses, gps locations. They have a powerful weapon called a newspaper, they should be publicly accessible, right?

Feels good being so exposed, doesn't it? Oh, it doesn't?
Old 2013-01-07, 19:46   Link #25620
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm no longer surprised by the sense of entitlement some journalists have for themselves.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international