AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-10, 11:50   Link #21
lansglenn

I can't find any english translation of Accel World 10's Author's Notes where K. Reki explicitly mentions the SAO x AW connection/non-connection.

Has anyone been successful in finding it? And is it safe to link to it?
Old 2012-07-10, 12:10   Link #22
kyp275
Meh

Apparently BT haven't translated the author note in vol10 anyway... but this is an excerpt from chinese translation sites

"...尤其是關于最後『對決』,那雖然是四處可以窺見兩系列之間關聯性的作品,但作為作者,我現在要立于 《兩部作品並無明確的聯系》這一立場上"

Especially considering [Versus], although that's a work where you can see the correlation/links between the two series, but as the author, I will state now my position that "There are no clear link between the two series"
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 12:20   Link #23
Ray
Garnet

Ah, thanks for that, kyp.

Seems like the translation I was told seems to be more or less the same, but I can ask the person to have another look at it?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 12:27   Link #24
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

In my opinion, there won't be any relevant connection between AW and SAO until we see Taku, Chiyo or Hayuke wandering around SAO.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 19:10   Link #25
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Apparently BT haven't translated the author note in vol10 anyway... but this is an excerpt from chinese translation sites

"...尤其是關于最後『對決』,那雖然是四處可以窺見兩系列之間關聯性的作品,但作為作者,我現在要立于 《兩部作品並無明確的聯系》這一立場上"

Especially considering [Versus], although that's a work where you can see the correlation/links between the two series, but as the author, I will state now my position that "There are no clear link between the two series"
So, I got another person to look it up and what they said was that, in addition to the above quote, it was..

Spoiler for AW & SAO Cross-over chapter: Versus Spoilers:

So having said that, AW and SAO could simply be very similar universes. Of course, the author saying that there's no clear link between the two could mean that he's giving himself space to change his mind later without having to retcon stuff.
Old 2012-07-10, 19:19   Link #26
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
So, I got another person to look it up and what they said was that, in addition to the above quote, it was..

Spoiler for AW & SAO Cross-over chapter: Versus Spoilers:

So having said that, AW and SAO could simply be very similar universes. Of course, the author saying that there's no clear link between the two could mean that he's giving himself space to change his mind later without having to retcon stuff.
Yup, basically your typical "I will neither confirm nor deny the rumour" spiel you get when getting stonewalled by someone :P
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 19:23   Link #27
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Yup, basically your typical "I will neither confirm nor deny the rumour" spiel you get when getting stonewalled by someone :P
I suppose that it depends on your perspective. I feel like he hasn't made up his mind if the two are connected or not (implying that there are no connections as of right now). ;p

Anyway, SAO already has already ended (web version), so I'll ask yet another person to see if there's anything noteworthy in the epilogue and the ending (I'm not expecting there to be there, though).
Old 2012-07-10, 19:50   Link #28
Xacual

Didn't the author say like a year ago that he was planning on adding more stuff after Alicization instead of ending it the same way as the web novel. I remember something like that coming up.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 19:53   Link #29
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Didn't the author say like a year ago that he was planning on adding more stuff after Alicization instead of ending it the same way as the web novel. I remember something like that coming up.
Oh, really? I haven't been around that long. That's good news though, as it means there's less chances of an open ended ending. I imagine the ending will still be somewhat similar?

But eh, there may be some clues about the two worlds in it.
Old 2012-07-10, 20:07   Link #30
novalysis

Quote:
I suppose that it depends on your perspective. I feel like he hasn't made up his mind if the two are connected or not (implying that there are no connections as of right now). ;p

Anyway, SAO already has already ended (web version), so I'll ask yet another person to see if there's anything noteworthy in the epilogue and the ending (I'm not expecting there to be there, though).
I think the problem is that Versus was quite a huge tease

Spoiler for For Versus:
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 20:09   Link #31
Ray
Garnet

Yeah, there's also that. I'm pretty sure that he created that story to advertise SAO to AW readers, and AW to SAO readers, as..

Spoiler for Versus Spoilers:
Old 2012-07-10, 21:57   Link #32
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Here's a comparison/contrast topic. I'm growing more and more amazed at just how ignorant some people have been regarding Accel World since SAO aired in their mad rush to proclaim the later the second coming of Jesus. One would think that SAO being popular would encourage people to actually check out Accel World a little more, but it seems like I kind of expected it's basically had the opposite effect and caused people to proclaim it as more or less obsolete. It really is a shame as it really strikes pretty much the same notes with me that SAO did in it's first episode of "wow this has the potential to be really interesting and go places with it's concept". Guess some people really just can't get past the fact that the main character is short and fat and has a lot of attractive girls surrounding him.

I really do seriously wonder if it was SAO that had the fat character and AW the one with the average build if the situation wouldn't be reversed.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 02:02   Link #33
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Here's a comparison/contrast topic. I'm growing more and more amazed at just how ignorant some people have been regarding Accel World since SAO aired in their mad rush to proclaim the later the second coming of Jesus. One would think that SAO being popular would encourage people to actually check out Accel World a little more, but it seems like I kind of expected it's basically had the opposite effect and caused people to proclaim it as more or less obsolete. It really is a shame as it really strikes pretty much the same notes with me that SAO did in it's first episode of "wow this has the potential to be really interesting and go places with it's concept". Guess some people really just can't get past the fact that the main character is short and fat and has a lot of attractive girls surrounding him.

I really do seriously wonder if it was SAO that had the fat character and AW the one with the average build if the situation wouldn't be reversed.
That would be the most superficial reason to proclaim SAO as the better of the two. The community's dismissal of Haruyuki because of his design has thus far been exceedingly childish. What I would say is that with its death game and MMO premise, SAO opens itself up to a far more interesting line of storytelling that holds much more potential than Accel World's techy take on the high school battle fantasy genre. I enjoy both series, but there is no doubt that SAO's story has been much more entertaining than Accel World IMO

Yet, I don't think I can deny the possibility that if kirito's and haruyuki's positions were switched, the situation might reverse to some extent.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 02:37   Link #34
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Both of them are really different persons in their outlook.

Kirito is more or less a a guy with a decent relationship with friends/family who doesn't have the low self esteem issues that Haru has.

In fact, I doubt Haru's avatar really is as pudgy as it looks - notice that he's drawn in a rougher style (one that strongly reminds me of colour pencils and older 90s anime) compared to everyone else. It's like Sunako, who always appears to herself as an SD Sadako clone, but is really Tall Dark and Bishoujo. The story is told from Haru's perspective, and Haru's self image is strongly skewed. Yes, he is probably pudgy and yes he probably isn't a bish, but he isn't that ugly.

As for whether Kirito and Asuna are Kuroyukihime's parents, I posted some thoughts on that earlier, but as Aprah reminded me, if she was in the hospital, they would have come to see her.

I see the relationship between SAO and AW as that of The Hunt for Red October and Red Storm Rising. Both are separate verses but strongly influenced each other - Bob Toland, for example, is an expy of Jack Ryan. Or the connection between Dance in the Vampire Bund and Ne-to-ge: Lovers in Cyberspace, both drawn by the same author, who reused the designs of male and female lead in Lovers for the male and female lead in Dance. (Their daughter's design got reused for male lead's yaoi fangirl childhood friend.)

Separate verses, but influenced by each other thanks to the author's mind. And maybe KYH was intended to be a combo Kirito/Asuna shoutout by the Author, who having failed to get SAO published properly, decided to make a quiet shout out to a series he really liked.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 03:23   Link #35
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

I have to apologize, this thread's existence is my fault. m( _ _")m
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 06:45   Link #36
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Yet, I don't think I can deny the possibility that if kirito's and haruyuki's positions were switched, the situation might reverse to some extent.
I think it'd reverse quite a bit; humanity can be shallow like that sometimes. SAO is my favourite out of the two, but I still love AW. I don't think that SAO is better, I simply prefer SAO to AW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
Heh, it's fine. Don't worry about it.
Old 2012-07-11, 07:11   Link #37
novalysis

Quote:
I think it'd reverse quite a bit; humanity can be shallow like that sometimes. SAO is my favourite out of the two, but I still love AW. I don't think that SAO is better, I simply prefer SAO to AW.

Heh, it's fine. Don't worry about it.
I think part of the problem might be that Kirito and Asuna are true equals- which is quite refreshing since there are so precious few anime couples that are indeed true equals.

On the other hand, Haruyuki is clearly the sub-ordinate one in his relationship with KYH. And even in terms of personality, his maturity seems out of sync with KYH. So, one is left wondering what KYH sees in him, other than quick reflexes? Absolute Loyalty? Perhaps, bit still, that rankles people, especially in a decade with a horde of weak minded male protagonists that gave rise to the derisive moniker Generic Harem Protagonist.
Spoiler for Too... hintish:

Ultimately though, I fear that in the next few episodes, Asuna will be labeled as a typical Tsundere by the hardcore moe haters, as absurd and prejudiced as that charge seems. But that's another conversation. for another thread.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 10:24   Link #38
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
Or mine, for singling out that specific piece of your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I think part of the problem might be that Kirito and Asuna are true equals- which is quite refreshing since there are so precious few anime couples that are indeed true equals.

On the other hand, Haruyuki is clearly the sub-ordinate one in his relationship with KYH. And even in terms of personality, his maturity seems out of sync with KYH. So, one is left wondering what KYH sees in him, other than quick reflexes? Absolute Loyalty? Perhaps, bit still, that rankles people, especially in a decade with a horde of weak minded male protagonists that gave rise to the derisive moniker Generic Harem Protagonist.
Spoiler for Too... hintish:
Agreed--part of the reason I like SAO more than AW (having read both LNs) is that I like the romance between the protagonists in SAO more than that of the protagonists in AW. Much like you mentioned, Kirito and Asuna treat each other as equals, and this allows love to flourish between the two. As a romance buff, I thoroughly enjoyed the time Kirito and Asuna spent together in volume 1, and was quite devastated when later volumes contained much less romance On the other hand, because Haruyuki always sees himself as a subordinate to KYH, he tempers his feelings and thoughts and the relationship between Haruyuki and KYH just doesn't develop as much compared to Kirito and Asuna's relationship.

I think a good example is the first or second episode of the 2nd arc, when Haruyuki visits KYH in the hospital and she arranges her hair the way that Haruyuki said he liked the most. Haruyuki's lack of skill in talking to someone of the opposite gender certainly contributed to the misunderstanding and KYH's sour mood, it was because of his self-perceived subordinate role that he chose not to further disagree with KYH and clear up the misunderstanding by telling her what he actually thought. If Kirito and Asuna were put into the same situation, Kirito would've been more firm in his assertions--that he didn't only compliment her cause she got mad and that Asuna looks lovely and would look lovely in his eyes with any hairstyle.
Old 2012-07-12, 01:19   Link #39
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Spoiler:

So I think connecting the two series to create a continuity towards the technological advancements makes sense.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:47   Link #40
Irisu
フフリ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Spoiler:

So I think connecting the two series to create a continuity towards the technological advancements makes sense.
Spoiler for SAO spoilers beware:

Last edited by Irisu; 2012-07-16 at 11:47. Reason: spoiler tag
Irisu is offline   Reply With Quote