AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-24, 04:39   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 636 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Spoilers are here! As usual, credit goes to..... well, the same 2 dudes who've been providing us with this info all year so far:

-Chapter title is "General from the future nation". The ministory takes place at the Sakura kingdom (aka the former Drum kingdom), where Dalton and an army of lapahns (those giant rabbits) are checking out the newspaper.

-Luffy has Surume (the kraken) protect Shirahoshi. Meanwhile, Hody's officer Daruma digs some holes in the ground, which traps Franky's tank and bike. The "weak trio" are forced to evacuate the machines, and when they do, the two vehicles combine and transform into a super-warrior..... the Iron Pirates General Franky! It turns out that it was thanks to the Wapometal(!!!) that Franky was able to go so far with Vegapunk's research......

-Meanwhile, Nami reveals some new tricks with her Sorcery Clima-tact,and Usopp makes a bamboo javelin to fight with. Daruma is still digging holes around the plaza, but Chopper transforms into Horn Point and digs underground to intercept him. He reveals that out of his current seven forms, he can morph between six of them without the aid of rumble balls....!!!

-Hody threatens Surume to kill the princess or else he'll execute the kraken's brother. The sea monster is conflicted, but Luffy offers to protect his brother as well, and makes a beeline for Hody. Dosun and Ikaros are ready to intercept him, but they in turn are stopped by Zoro and Sanji, respectively. An angered Luffy then delivers another blow to the 'roid-addicted captain. It's at this time that Noah finally appears at the island. King Neptune notes that Noah's arc wasn't supposed to take off until the fated day arrives.....

Nice, we got some more sweet action! Franky using Wapometal for his upgrades was a surprise for me (but at the same time it kinda wasn't since I knew for a long time that Wapol's metal would become important to the main story). Chopper vs. Daruma was expected, but I'm a bit surprised that Zoro's the one to take on Dosun (unless he switches opponents when Hyouzou wakes up or something). And I guess Sanji's the one to take on Ikaros after all, which means we'll be seeing some deep-fried squid soon. I'm still sorta thinking that Luffy vs. Hody will be put on hold due to Noah's appearance, though I guess it's possible that Jinbei could take his place in stopping the ark as well (I still feel that Shira's power will come into play here, though). And of course, Neptune's words about the ark were most interesting......

As for the ministory, as I suspected, Wapol's kingdom from last chapter is at a different location from the original Drum (which makes me even more confident that it's in the New World). Well, Alabasta should be coming along in the next chap, methinks.....

Nice stuff here, indeed. Can't wait for the full chap release!

Edit: A couple pics came out. Heh, Chopper's new Horn Point is the form we saw in the color spread a while back. Boy, does he look freaky! Still, nice to know that he (seemingly) mastered Life Return......

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-08-24 at 04:51.
Old 2011-08-24, 04:52   Link #2
ronin myael
lost ronin

nice! i was just thinking about the spoilers. thanks!
Old 2011-08-24, 07:11   Link #3
andy

Saw a panel for the chapter, luffy look awesome like a boss about to kick ass.

Edit just saw the mech man it awesome OP really has everything in it.

Last edited by andy; 2011-08-24 at 07:22.
Old 2011-08-24, 08:48   Link #4
Undertaker

I'm actually more intrigued by the mini story, did they really stated "general"? I thought Dalton was the King of Sakura Kingdom. It almost sounds to me that my prediction that Wapol re-took Drum Island (or at least part of it) was true....

Edit: never mind, it was the chapter title, I thought that was mini story title...

Can wait the read what Neptune said about the arc. I got a feeling that the Arc might follow SH after this arc until they settle on a place (hence also fill prophecy of Shirahoshi)
Old 2011-08-24, 10:42   Link #5
Crimson Reaper

Sounds like another great chapter of the Strawhats taking charge. Quite interested in the whole Arc business. Something to do with Luffy 'destroying' Fishman Island? I'd laugh if at the end of all this Luffy's actions just get the name of the island changed for some reason thus getting rid of 'Fishman Island' or something similar.
Old 2011-08-24, 10:54   Link #6
marvelB

Well, there's a Chinese scanlation out now (no English one yet, though). Man, that Franky mecha does look badass (and naturally, Luffy, Usopp and Chopper are awed beyond belief). The weak trio was cool, too (and of course, Usopp is looking as badass as ever while kicking ass ). I also noticed that when Chopper was explaining his 7 forms, we only see 5 of them. So it looks like in addition to Chopzilla (which he probably managed to control during the skip), he has one other unrevealed form. Maybe he can transform into Jesus Point or something?

And wow, it looked like Surume really was going to kill the princess after Hody threatened him (and the fact that she was in danger of being killed by the sea monster should put to rest those theories of her being secretly super-strong or whatever). Also gotta love how pissed Luffy is when he kicks Hody. Man, poor Jones..... it looks like almost nothing ever goes right for the fella.

Definitely interested in any further insight Neptune will give about Noah's ark, as well. Is it truly one of the ancient weapons, as has been long speculated....?
Old 2011-08-24, 12:14   Link #7
Rainbowman

Ministory: Dalton of Sakura Island. Any sign of Kureha? She is after all another of Chopper's caretakers.

Main Story: With Nami's new attacks, nostalgias will be angrily ranting about such a plothole. I wouldn't mind the new attacks as much as her new looks. Usopp and Chopper's new attacks are interesting. I still wish everyone would stop referring to Nami as weak. At any rate, how is anyone going to prevent the noah from crashing?
Old 2011-08-24, 13:12   Link #8
toriko

awesome chapter, with the group
showing off some of their new skills:
Roronoa Zoro: Hurricane swords-man
Sanji: Sky Walk{dis was real funny}/CP9
Franky showing that his time on the island was spent productively with the new bike and tank
for people like Nami, Usopp, Chopper.
Robin: Giant Legs, was really cool and weird at
the same time
Jinbei: Fishmen Karate and beating Hody's to
boot. Luffy: Turning Surume against Hody and
demolishing every one that was in the plaza.
Commander Chopper: Dats was cool, and cute in
the same vein.
So all in all, they killed off the fodder pirates with
their somewhat lower-level killing skills. Now that they have pretty much killed off the fodder, i
imagine they will pick it up a notch when they
start facing off the top tier pirates that Hody has
as his chief crew, and that is when we will see
the real skills, but i don't think the Straw Hat
crew will be pushed too much, that will most likely be explored upon when then fight
Admirals/Emperors/Shichibukai when they get to
the New World. For now they will use a small
percentage of their power. And we will finally
get to see what Decken's been doing with that
huge ship as well...
Old 2011-08-24, 13:33   Link #9
Undertaker

Just read the entire chapter in Chinese, pretty awesome stuff, unfortunately the remark on Arc is used to end the chapter so there isn't much other than Neptune freaking out by telling the prince that Noah is something that shouldn't be touched until the "end of the day", when the princes were commenting how Noah is just some useless remnant from ancient time.

I'm beginning to think Noah might be some version of Pluto or Neptune or might actually be one of those two just but was referred by Fish-people as Noah. If that's the case, it could provide fish-people the protection they need if they do end up as a travelling race after this arc.

BTW, General Franky is awesome. The Weak Trio was actually thrown out by Franky there can only be one person in it and it seem to imply Franky is the only one that can control it.

The best part about that part is while the male crews were drooling over it, Nami and Robin were taking turn giving "this is dumb" look with thought bubbles of "silence" in them.....

In addition of mentioning that he has mastered his 6 forms except for one he also mentioedn they all got different looks now with form of them in background. (though, Brain Point still looks the same) Got to say, the Horn Point in its entirety looks super cute, it might not makes to the figure due to balancing issue, but it's definitely plush material... IMO, it's cuter, than this normal form....

Nami's new attack, actually doesn't seem that impressive, I it does provide her with the necessarily quick punch to go with her already stellar speed and agility. And yes, Nami was never weak, she was only weak compare to super-human member of crew. Personally I'll even argue her to being stronger that not just Ussop but Robin and Chopper in their "base" ability.

Ussop's attack on the hand, looks bad-ass and pretty cool, though it starting to look like Ussop's attack to end up to be used as life-saver and plot devices as it seem that all his new attacks are basically shooting different types of seeds that acts like magical bullets.

The frame where Zoro and Sanji intercepts Dosun and Ikaros is very cool looking in the usually badass Oda angle.

What else...

Oh and apparently General Franky or Shogun Franky (I don't how it sounds in raw) was one of Vegapunk's unfulfilled dream as well and Wapometal has some kind of "shape retaining/remembering" ability that made General Franky possible.

And Hody actually lost track of Luffy before got kicked in the face. Things are not looking up for him, and I'm starting to pity the guy.

On one hand, I want to see Luffy kicking ass and donimate, on another hand I was hoping Hody will put up more fight and it start to feel a bit (just a tiny little bit though) anti-climatic.

P.S. Even though he's no in the chapter, I'm starting to get a feeling that our forgotten man Calibou is going to end up using his ability in preventing Noah crushing down on everyone....
Old 2011-08-24, 14:52   Link #10
kakakka

The chapter is funny.

And I am looking forward to Chooper's other transformations
Old 2011-08-24, 15:02   Link #11
ZeroForever

anyone else see the chains on the bottom on Noa on the last page?

Personal guess is that it's the tug boat effect on the entire island so in throwing it at Weakoshi I'm guessing it'll result in pulling the whole island along with it.
Old 2011-08-24, 15:11   Link #12
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

After reading the chapter, I would like to see Surume's, hopefully little, brother. Surume was too big to join the journey, but if his brother is small enough, why not?

And chopper's new transformation shows his age much better. It looks more like the shounen hero type. At least, with this form, Oda made up for his mistake of not applying the same aging effect on chopper's original cotton candy lover form.
Old 2011-08-24, 15:24   Link #13
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
After reading the chapter, I would like to see Surume's, hopefully little, brother. Surume was too big to join the journey, but if his brother is small enough, why not?

And chopper's new transformation shows his age much better. It looks more like the shounen hero type. At least, with this form, Oda made up for his mistake of not applying the same aging effect on chopper's original cotton candy lover form.
But he did though, Nami noted that Chopper grew bigger in his reindeer form (original form) when she met him post skip.

The regular chibi form is more or less his Brain Point form, so it doesn't really matter if it ages or not. But really, when is the last time you saw a mascot character that really ages in manga..
Old 2011-08-24, 15:42   Link #14
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Ah the Franky Shogun mech was awesome! I guess Nami and Robin didn't find it that cool though.

Nami's "Sorcery Clima-Tact" eh? Harnessing the "magic" of the weather I assume?

Usopp has a very environmentally friendly set of attacks now. Beating up bad-guys while making the world a greener place at the same time.~

I found it amusing that Luffy made the exact same connection I did when I saw Chopper's new horn point. It DOES look like a stag beetle.

Does this mean Kung-Fu point is an improved version of one of his previous points?

Anywho, glad to see a new ability from all of the Strawhats now.~
Old 2011-08-24, 15:48   Link #15
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
The chapter is funny.

And I am looking forward to Chooper's other transformations

Technically, we saw most of them already in one panel (though if you're talking about abilities, then I do agree). Personally, I'm rather interested in seeing more of Kung Fu Point, myself.

Actually, this talk about Chopper's transformations and him most likely being able to use Life Return takes me back to what I was talking about in the last chapter thread about the possibility of future human characters/enemies being able to use unique abilities such as this and merman karate. It sure would be cool to see someone in the NW who neither has a DF nor any sort of Haki mastery, yet still be considered a major threat....

And going back to the current conflict, I sure hope that Hody pulls out some more tricks from under his sleeve soon, because I doubt that spamming those water bullets will do him much good anymore at this point.
Old 2011-08-24, 15:48   Link #16
Undertaker

Or monster point wasn't counted among his 7 transformation and he simply never used Kung-Fu Point pre-skip....

@Fipskuul Just checked his old horn point, if anything, his old Horn Point looks MUCH older than his current Horn Point as it was based on his reindeer form instead hybrid form.
Old 2011-08-24, 15:55   Link #17
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Technically, we saw most of them already in one panel (though if you're talking about abilities, then I do agree). Personally, I'm rather interested in seeing more of Kung Fu Point, myself.
Yeah, and I remember that we saw him use the ones in the background before. Though, I am excited to see their full abilities.

I think there's 1 or 2 more that wasn't shown (Heavy, Huge Monster, ?) and I wonder what improvements they also have.

Last edited by kakakka; 2011-08-24 at 16:01. Reason: HUman -> Heavy
Old 2011-08-24, 15:57   Link #18
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Or monster point wasn't counted among his 7 transformation and he simply never used Kung-Fu Point pre-skip....
Chopper did have 7 points minus Monster Point before the skip though.

Run Point
Brain Point
Heavy Point
Arm Point
Jump Point
Horn Point
Guard Point

This is why I'm led to believe Kung-Fu point is like his new Arm Point.
Old 2011-08-24, 16:23   Link #19
Undertaker

Argh, I forgot the Run Point...

But the old Arm Point was really visible focused on upper body strength and Kung-Fu Point doesn't really look that strong in the arm and it faster than old Arm Point.

Maybe Kung-Fu point isn't consider as a transformation by it's own but rather as fusion of Points.
Old 2011-08-24, 16:28   Link #20
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Or maybe it just replaced Arm Point as the most combat focused point.
Closed Thread