AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-10-13, 21:05   Link #181
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I really wonder what interests the Russians and the Chinese are still defending in Syria for blocking UN decisions about Syria. Especially about the Russians... can't they sit at the table, talk with Western countries and perhaps come up with some form of a deal considering how blatant of a mess Assad made? It doesn't have to be direct military intervention, but perhaps a little something to help the Rebels. And if Russia find a way to agree with NATO, I'm not sure that jackass in Iran would take the opportunity to jump in and risk angering everyone who made the deal.

I mean: Russia and NATO found a way to have an arrangement in the Kosovo War, and the Russians basically ended up agreeing something equivalent to "OK, we'll let you hit Serbia and free Kosovo, but we'll have an eye on you if something goes overboard from you NATO people." Assad ain't that different from Milosevic in many regards, and Russia decided in the end that it was futile to be on Milosevic's side.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2012-10-14 at 06:04. Reason: Typo *blushes in shame*
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 21:10   Link #182
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You still don't explain why it would be worse than just regular bombs. And Assad is already sending in tanks and airstrikes, poison gas would NOT increase the suffering any more than what was already there. This is why in general BC attacks are not considered useful in conventional war any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Terrorists win not by killing civilians, but by making civilians so frightened that they destroy their own principles and cause a collapse in society.
People tend to fear chem/bio weapons for the same reason they fear radiation;
because they're insidious (many gasses are invisible), and because they can kill
people in some rather ugly ways.

Which makes chem/bio weapons (as well as "dirty" bombs) so useful for tyrants
and terrorists (both of which rely on fear). Though terrorists are more likely to use
such weapons, since they don't give a fig about international condemnation.

Al Qaeda has actually experimented with this stuff before:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ms-experiment/

With disastrous results. But if they could get some already-packaged Syrian chem/bio
agents, it's not a question of if they'd use them, but when.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 21:52   Link #183
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Turkey cites Srebrenica in appeal for action on Syria
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88J0X720121013
Old 2012-10-14, 06:12   Link #184
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Turkey cites Srebrenica in appeal for action on Syria
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88J0X720121013
How can anybody forget Srebrenica for those among us who were old enough to understand the news on TV back then? It was the kind of stuff that made me believe the United Nations can go screw themselves since then.

Speaking of the Russians, they are clearly supporting the wrong guy once again if they stick by Assad furthermore than what they did with Slobodan Milosevic in the past. Someone should just find a way to completely isolate Russia and also the PRC on the diplomatic front. Trust me: it HURTS when you're isolated on the diplomatic front.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2012-10-14 at 06:55.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 07:58   Link #185
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Someone should just find a way to completely isolate Russia and also the PRC on the diplomatic front. Trust me: it HURTS when you're isolated on the diplomatic front.
As long as they also have China on their side it will not happen, especialy as they have their veto.
Old 2012-10-14, 08:53   Link #186
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
How can anybody forget Srebrenica for those among us who were old enough to understand the news on TV back then? It was the kind of stuff that made me believe the United Nations can go screw themselves since then.

Speaking of the Russians, they are clearly supporting the wrong guy once again if they stick by Assad furthermore than what they did with Slobodan Milosevic in the past. Someone should just find a way to completely isolate Russia and also the PRC on the diplomatic front. Trust me: it HURTS when you're isolated on the diplomatic front.
Russia won't support the West after the Libya fiasco and the Georgian invasion of Ossetia...Can't really blame them there
Old 2012-10-14, 18:51   Link #187
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Patience, my friends. Let the biochem-weapons flow.....[/sarcasm]

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 19:33   Link #188
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Patience, my friends. Let the biochem-weapons flow.....[/sarcasm]
Who know, Assad's force are still droping bomb over civilian area, even using now cluster bombs. Who know what they will use next: Assad forces using cluster bombs in Syria war: Human Rights Watch
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89D03020121014
Old 2012-10-14, 20:25   Link #189
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Who know, Assad's force are still droping bomb over civilian area, even using now cluster bombs. Who know what they will use next: Assad forces using cluster bombs in Syria war: Human Rights Watch
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89D03020121014
And?

The Clusterbombs are banned not because of their lethality, but the fact that the unexploded munitions turn into mini landmines. It isn't an issue now, it would only be an issue in the future when Peace breaks out. For now, when people are having actual bombs dropped on them, the fact that it is cluster bombs or not makes very little difference.

It doesn't matter what he use next. Go ahead and plan to have him replaced. Just don't use BC weapons as the justification. It's a warcrime, but America no longer have the moral high ground on criticising war-crimes.
Old 2012-10-15, 11:59   Link #190
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Rebel Arms Flow Is Said to Benefit Jihadists in Syria
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/wo...an-rebels.html
Old 2012-10-15, 15:27   Link #191
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Rebel Arms Flow Is Said to Benefit Jihadists in Syria
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/wo...an-rebels.html
Is that even news?
Jihadists are nearly always jumping into conflicts like these, we knew that all the way back in the times of the Soviet Union.
Old 2012-10-15, 16:12   Link #192
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well, in the Bibilical/Mayan Calendar conspiracy theorist standpoint, they have a little over two months left before they need to have decided to expand one of these Middle East conflicts to the point where Israel is threatened with extinction and either having a major battle at, or just an epicenter of destruction at Megiddo. Then all the "End Timers" will be happy.
Old 2012-10-22, 08:46   Link #193
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Gunbattles flare in Lebanon as political crisis deepens
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89L0CK20121022
Old 2012-10-22, 08:51   Link #194
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Gunbattles flare in Lebanon as political crisis deepens
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89L0CK20121022
Do they finally see that making a deal with even just the devil's balls can get them into a sticky mess?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-22, 14:57   Link #195
willx
Nyaaan~~

On Turkey's Syrian frontier, fears of a sectarian spillover

(Reuters) - An influx of Syrians fleeing President Bashar al-Assad's military onslaught is stoking tension in an area of Turkey known for religious tolerance and setting Turks who share the Syrian leader's creed against their own government.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...2F+Top+News%29

Never forget that one of the biggest beneficiaries of the "Arab Spring" have been the jihadists and mullahs .. Except in this case you have them on both sides..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 09:13   Link #196
willx
Nyaaan~~

Academic Paper on "Why Oil-Rich States are So Violent"

Quote:
I develop a theory of whether and where civil wars emerge in resource-rich states, based on bargaining within the state over the spoils and on the state's attempts to safeguard the resources. I argue that these processes are shaped by where the resource is discovered. In contrast to existing scholarship which describes "oil wars" over territorial control of natural resources, I predict that regional economic and security inequalities lead only to conflict in resource-poor regions. To test the theory, I present a new dataset of the timing and location of oil and natural gas discoveries and a novel causal identification strategy. I find that civil war is more likely in states with oil discoveries, but only if it is found on land where local populations can threaten to interrupt production. In stark contrast to scholarly and practitioner consensus, I find that these civil wars take place not in the oil region itself, but elsewhere in the state.
http://q-aps.princeton.edu/q-aps/files/Blair.pdf
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 10:02   Link #197
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Academic Paper on "Why Oil-Rich States are So Violent"

http://q-aps.princeton.edu/q-aps/files/Blair.pdf
I don't find Alaska violent.

Russia is though.

Old 2012-10-23, 13:45   Link #198
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Insight: Village cafe shootout spells trouble for Assad
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89M0T420121023
Quote:
A warm autumn day in the Syrian village of Qardaha and a man walks in to a cafe where two customers are arguing. He pulls a gun; shots are fired. The newcomer is wounded and one of the other men killed.

But this is no obscure local feud; it reveals frictions among President Bashar al-Assad's core supporters. For Qardaha is the ancestral home of the ruling dynasty. And the man who strode in with a pistol was the beleaguered president's cousin.
Old 2012-10-29, 04:22   Link #199
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Syrian helicopter explodes mid-air (0:43)

Quote:
Oct. 17 - Amateur video purports to show a Syrian military helicopter being shot down and exploding over the city of Idlib. Rough Cut (no reporter narration)

Old 2012-10-29, 07:01   Link #200
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Air raids, car bomb hit Damascus on last day of "truce"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88J0X720121029
There was a truce? There was less action but to call the last day ''truce'' is kind of ridiculous.