AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-06, 16:07   Link #1
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Dragon Quest - Yuusha Abel Densetsu

For anyone wondering, this anime has been fansubed, and we have atleast the first two episodes done. Pace is going as slow as a slug, but it's being done.

At anyrate, I've tried listing the torrent before here at animesuki, and unfortently, I talked to one of the ops here, and they never respounded to be again on the matter. It is true Dragon Quest was licensed in 1990, and it did air on television, however the first 13 episodes only ever broadcasted, due to a combination of possibly poor ratings and the biggest known issue: With Toriyama. (Which also means Saban no longer owns the license to the series if we go by the information).

So what gives?
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 16:17   Link #2
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
My guess would be thatt AS can't afford to take the risk of carrying licensed fansubs. It just opens them up to accusations of being a warez site, and to legal action.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 18:24   Link #3
Nicholi
King of Hosers

The license expired long ago. Saban Ent. has no claim to the series anymore. Let the man post this awesome show which seriously needs to be fansubbed, in the truest sense of fansubbing. Something that will never reach english speakers otherwise.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 00:18   Link #4
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiGoku
So what gives?
The license for Top wo Nerae AKA Gunbuster also expired long ago, just that no one here wants to acknowledge it.
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-06, 12:53   Link #5
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar
My guess would be thatt AS can't afford to take the risk of carrying licensed fansubs. It just opens them up to accusations of being a warez site, and to legal action.
The series is fair game here in America.
Old 2006-05-06, 20:39   Link #6
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Edit - *Illegal operation performed*
CelesAurivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 20:03   Link #7
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Why are we still posting here? Isn't it obvious AnimeSuki does not care at this point whether the series is in fact licensed or not? Unfortunately they are too lazy to just go find out facts about a series probably because it requires talking to real individuals, like the previous license holder, to find out that they in fact no longer have any rights to the series in North America.
Old 2006-05-10, 00:46   Link #8
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
You try getting an honest response from a licsense holder. You make it seems that animesuki is ran by business professionals. There just normal anime fans like you and me. If we cant get the info they cant get the info.

Just because the license ran out doesnt mean animesuki will list it. Usually once it get licesensed it stays off the site forever.
Old 2006-05-10, 00:51   Link #9
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by [darkfire]
You try getting an honest response from a licsense holder. You make it seems that animesuki is ran by business professionals. There just normal anime fans like you and me. If we cant get the info they cant get the info.

Just because the license ran out doesnt mean animesuki will list it. Usually once it get licesensed it stays off the site forever.
Except in this case, the license expired long before Animesuki even came into being. Further more, the series was never legally available on VHS/Laserdisc at it's time.
Old 2006-05-10, 08:20   Link #10
LytHka
Banned

@[darkfire]: You're wrong. What about Sailor Moon? They are listing it because the license is long gone from the U.S.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-10, 11:26   Link #11
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
Thus why i used the word "usually". Wanted to avoid making a blanket statement.
Old 2006-05-10, 14:39   Link #12
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
@[darkfire]: You're wrong. What about Sailor Moon? They are listing it because the license is long gone from the U.S.
No. Only the last season (Sailor Stars) is unlicensed in the US
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-10, 16:11   Link #13
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
No. Only the last season (Sailor Stars) is unlicensed in the US
That's a rather iffy statement. The rights for all but perhaps SuperS and the movies have expired and reverted back to Toei in Japan (I'm only unsure about those last two because I think I saw them on DVD somewhere recently).
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 08:30   Link #14
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by [darkfire]

Yeah my bad, I should not treat AnimeSuki like they are professionals. After all this is basically an amateur hobby site worked on by people in their free time. Caring about extremely neglected series is likely the least of their concerns, the majority of it is probably trying to keep up with shows that are likely to be licensed within a years time. If it is ASuki's prerogative to list only certain unlicensed series then there is not much whining and bitching can do I guess.

It was just my stab in the dark idea at whatever reason there could be to not list an anime that was licensed over 10 years ago.
Old 2006-06-12, 20:21   Link #15
Ryu_Kenosuke

Returning to the matter of Dragon Quest, I do have the majority of the series in raw. My family recorded them for me in Japan. I'm missing just the 3rd episode and a small section of the series where Abel meets his father who is being controlled by one of Baramos's minions. That part of the series I have never been able to find nor watch, so the outcome eludes me except that I know his father perishes. It's the beginning of the 2nd season, if I'm not mistaken. I, too, tried to host the RAW on animesuki long ago for fansub groups to access...but I was not allowed to do so. I also got in contact with the owner of the Dragon Quest Shrine website. I found out that he's been rather busy being in the military, so there isn't much luck there to host or carry on the DQ legacy.

NEways, I'd like to either complete my series if someone has the raw that I don't and/or assist in getting this whole series fan subbed. I won't be checking back on this forum very much, so if you are interested or can help me out, please email me. I do believe you can do that from my profile.
Ryu_Kenosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 20:33   Link #16
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu_Kenosuke
Returning to the matter of Dragon Quest, I do have the majority of the series in raw. My family recorded them for me in Japan. I'm missing just the 3rd episode and a small section of the series where Abel meets his father who is being controlled by one of Baramos's minions. That part of the series I have never been able to find nor watch, so the outcome eludes me except that I know his father perishes. It's the beginning of the 2nd season, if I'm not mistaken. I, too, tried to host the RAW on animesuki long ago for fansub groups to access...but I was not allowed to do so. I also got in contact with the owner of the Dragon Quest Shrine website. I found out that he's been rather busy being in the military, so there isn't much luck there to host or carry on the DQ legacy.

NEways, I'd like to either complete my series if someone has the raw that I don't and/or assist in getting this whole series fan subbed. I won't be checking back on this forum very much, so if you are interested or can help me out, please email me. I do believe you can do that from my profile.
Actually, I HAVE all the raws, it's just I lack of translation power that causes a delay in each release. This is why it's going at a snail's pace. (Dragon Quest for me is a bit harder to translate.)
Old 2006-06-18, 01:43   Link #17
Ryu_Kenosuke

I, unfortunately, also lack personal translating abilities...as my mother never taught my Japanese as a child, but I do have some friends who speak fluently. I might be able to employ their assistance to help out. I, myself, enjoy RAW anime as much as subbed as I know enough Japanese to understand the greater part of what is going on. Word for word translation is where I have difficulty.

ChibiGoku, would you be willing to share your RAW with me. If you have problems in translating a specific part, I could utilize my mother to help you with that, though I know she won't enjoy translating an entire anime series. c( : Oh, and now that I remember, the last few people who told me that they had ALL of the RAW DQ, they only had the 13 episodes that were allowed to air in America. I have most of first and the second seasons. I'm unsure if the part that I am missing is the end of the 1st or the beginning of the 2nd.

SPOILER!!! Stop reading if you don't want me to ruin something.
----- That particular part is where Abel meets up with his long lost father who is under the control of Baramos's 2nd or 3rd in command. Abel's father ends up perishing in the episode RIGHT before where my 2nd season starts up.
END OF SPOILER!!!

I think I might be missing the 3rd episode that aired in America, as well, but that was omitted from the series that aired in Japan as being filler. The episode where Abel goes into some well or something in a town of nothing but elderly people. That episode. Now that I think about it...my copies of Dragon Quest are all strung together as being a 5 or 6 part OVA where each part is an hour and 40 or so minutes long.

...well...I've talked way too much...so I'll just end this post here.
Old 2006-06-18, 01:53   Link #18
Ryu_Kenosuke

Ok, while doing some more research, I just realized that the copy of DQ that I have is a straight copy of the condensed VHSs that were commercially produced in Japan. I have 5 in total that spans from start to finish. www.dqshrine.com is where I picked up this information that coincides with how my version of DQ runs. http://www.dqshrine.com/ma/dq/video1.htm is the link to the section that I got my information. That explains why I don't have the 3rd full episode where Abel goes into some well or something like that.
Old 2007-09-02, 15:33   Link #19
Eugene
Barnarna Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiGoku View Post
Actually, I HAVE all the raws, it's just I lack of translation power that causes a delay in each release. This is why it's going at a snail's pace. (Dragon Quest for me is a bit harder to translate.)
I'd KILL for the raws alone! Is there any place where one can get just a torrent of those? I got excited awhile back when I saw a DVD box set became available but then my heart sank when I saw it listed over $300. Now it's out of print... still... I'd love to see the raws of the series alone. サブタイトルが要らないよ!!
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 22:33   Link #20
Nicholi
King of Hosers

I have all the R2 DVDs. Made me get hard when I saw them too, and blew my mind. I also have the somewhat shittier WMV9 DTV captures.

I got them all on Share, though quite awhile back. You might still be able to get some of the later volumes (there are 9 total). But most are probably not that well distributed over the Share network anymore. I think if anything some of the jpn encoders started just putting out dvdrips of it, you could get those at least.

Buy me a dual layer DVD burner and some blank DVD9s and an Santa might give you some x-mas presents. The last dual layer burner I had (which was a cheap pos given to me) died in the middle of burning . I actually still have all the ISOs sitting on my HD. 60GiB of DQ loef, plus scans.

P.S. any DQ fans that can translate? No it's not licensed, goto hell idiots without brains.