AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-12-24, 11:29   Link #361
OMchan
オムちゃん

The card itself DOES look pretty shabby.

Front

But wouldn't "Mia" be ミア without the extra ー? Hmm... *confused* XD
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 11:29   Link #362
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMadChan
And Athrun and Cagalli weren't each others second choices. Athrun was Lacus' fiancess through a parental agreement, and they always cared for each other as friends, and not much more. He he had such a hard time giving her a peck on the cheek after being engaged to her for two years and then frenched Cagalli the third time he saw her. Cagalli's simply the right girl for him. And Cagalli got over Kira when she met Athrun. Before meeting Athrun, she pulled a lot of stunts that showed up that she wanted him. Like slappping him, trying to meet him in the middle of the night, rubbing up against him when they hugged, but those kind of things stopped after she met Athrun. By the time she found out they were siblings, it was the perfect thing in her eyes. She gets both Athrun and Kira for the rest of her lives, without having to turn one down.
Huh? Are you really watching the same SEED as me? Cagalli never got over Kira until she learned that they are siblings, and even they she's extremely upset. Can you tell me why she's extremely upset when she learned Kira is her brother if she had already gotten over him? Hmm... or do you mean Cagalli pushed down Kira and got over him when he returend to Orb in Archangel in ep37? Yup she's really all OVER him at that scene

I can't imagine how you can say that when Cagalli found out they were siblings, it was the perfect thing in her eyes. She was clearly soooo upset at that scene. Here, she doesn't look even the slightest bit happy

And Athrun surely likes Lacus a lot, else he won't look so upset when he sees her with Kira. And that kiss scene was not the third time he meets Cagalli, if you look at the timeline, that was already months passed after the sibling revelation. You got the order of events all wrong, the third time they meet was when Athrun got off Justice and walking towards Kira, paying absolutely no attention to Cagalli.

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-12-24 at 12:26.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 11:40   Link #363
flair627
asdf

hey i was just wondering is there a site like narutofan.com or naruto-kun.com except that it's based on Gundam??
flair627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 11:59   Link #364
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Interestingly enought, both "Lacus" and "Meer" mean the same thing. "Lacus" is Latin for "lake". "Meer" is German/Dutch for "lake".

The only f*ck-up is that in German, "meer" is pronounced "meh-ehr", NOT "mee-ah". 8)

So I am kept wondering... did Sunrise screw it up, or is just one of their weird transliterations. 8)

I am guessing that they went from a double consonant fetish (Fllay, Raww, Haww, etc) to the "-er" fetish.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 12:13   Link #365
Raxtenko
Second Generation McJober

Send a message via MSN to Raxtenko
Quote:
And Athrun and Cagalli weren't each others second choices. Athrun was Lacus' fiancess through a parental agreement, and they always cared for each other as friends, and not much more. He he had such a hard time giving her a peck on the cheek after being engaged to her for two years and then frenched Cagalli the third time he saw her. Cagalli's simply the right girl for him. And Cagalli got over Kira when she met Athrun. Before meeting Athrun, she pulled a lot of stunts that showed up that she wanted him. Like slappping him, trying to meet him in the middle of the night, rubbing up against him when they hugged, but those kind of things stopped after she met Athrun. By the time she found out they were siblings, it was the perfect thing in her eyes. She gets both Athrun and Kira for the rest of her lives, without having to turn one down.
Sorry, but just cuz I'm a jerk, I'm throwing in my 2 cents. Since dreamless didn't mention it, I'll have to throw in that scene, right at the end of episode 42, when Lacus is crying over her father's death. Just look at Athrun, and Cagalli they seem pretty bummed out, eh? I wonder why?

You also have no idea how the dynamics of an arranged marriage work. When Kira first talks to Lacus she tells him that, Athrun Zala is the man I will marry." Athrun himself also possesses a similar attitude. In 100% of arranged marriages where both parties have accepted that, "yeah, this is the person I will marry," deeper feelings, such as love, will inevitably develop.

Well, given the events of the series, I'm sure Fukuda, and Morosawa have no idea of how an arranged marriage works either.

Last edited by Raxtenko; 2004-12-24 at 12:25.
Raxtenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 12:21   Link #366
dreamless

oh, and Fukuda said that Kira likes strong girls, while Athrun likes motherly girls (Oedipus complex? ), so umm... I guess Lacus is good for both Kira and Athrun (both strong and motherly ), while Cagalli... maybe good for Kira at first sight, but ends up she's neither strong nor motherly
Old 2004-12-24, 12:29   Link #367
LaserBarrel
Fog of Mystery

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Interestingly enought, both "Lacus" and "Meer" mean the same thing. "Lacus" is Latin for "lake". "Meer" is German/Dutch for "lake".

The only f*ck-up is that in German, "meer" is pronounced "meh-ehr", NOT "mee-ah". 8)

So I am kept wondering... did Sunrise screw it up, or is just one of their weird transliterations. 8)
FYI
'das Meer' in German means 'the ocean',
while 'the lake' is either 'der See' or 'der Binnensee'.
So you can exclude German.

Only in Dutch 'meer' means 'lake' (another meaning is 'more').
LaserBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 12:38   Link #368
LadyMadChan

Quote:
Huh? Are you really watching the same SEED as me? Cagalli never got over Kira until she learned that they are siblings, and even they she's extremely upset. Can you tell me why she's extremely upset when she learned Kira is her brother if she had already gotten over him? Hmm... or do you mean Cagalli pushed down Kira and got over him when he returend to Orb in Archangel in ep37? Yup she's really all OVER him at that scene
Remember that Cagalli's extremely upset because her father just died and she found out that she wasn't really his daughter, but after she gets over his death, things seem to fall into place for her. And also remember that Cagalli's always physical. She pushed Kira down like that because she was glad to know he was alive. And if she was still romantically interested in him, don't you think she would have pulled another stunt, especially since Fllay wasn't still around?

Quote:
I'll have to throw in that scene, right at the end of episode 42, when Lacus is crying over her father's death. Just look at Athrun, and Cagalli they seem pretty bummed out, eh? I wonder why?
Why do you mean by the last sentence?

Quote:
You also have no idea how the dynamics of an arranged marriage work. When Kira first talks to Lacus she tells him that, Athrun Zala is the man I will marry." Athrun himself also possesses a similar attitude. In 100% of arranged marriages where both parties have accepted that, "yeah, this is the person I will marry," deeper feelings, such as love, will inevitably develop.
Political marriages and arranged marriages are two different things. But both don't have the objective of making the partners love each other. They're both about some kind of a working agreement. Believe me, I know, my parents have an arranged marriage.

And as far as political marriages go, the object isn't to make the parties love each other, it's about consolidation of power or one returning a favour. Clyne and Zala didn't give a rats ass about their children loving each other.
LadyMadChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 12:51   Link #369
Raxtenko

Quote:
Remember that Cagalli's extremely upset because her father just died and she found out that she wasn't really his daughter, but after she gets over his death, things seem to fall into place for her. And also remember that Cagalli's always physical. She pushed Kira down like that because she was glad to know he was alive. And if she was still romantically interested in him, don't you think she would have pulled another stunt, especially since Fllay wasn't still around?
Sorry, but that doesn't gel together. She was glad to know that he was alive, but Cagalli strikes me as a very socially awarkward, and emotional person, i.e. her rather extreme reactions to everything, ie. yelling at people, attacking Kira in the desert arc, pulling a gun on Athrun after Kira's "death" etc.

She wanted to pursue something with Kira, I think, but she doesn't know how to. hell, she's been with Athrun for two years, but she's still rather awkward around him, granted Yuuna's probably causing it to a degree, but she can't even talk to him about her problems, all she does is stutter.

What I meant by that last sentence was, Lacus sought refuge and comfort in Kira's arms, Athrun is depressed, I wonder why? Because he still has feelings for Lacus, he wishes that he as in Kira's place. Cagalli is upset. Why? Because even though Kira's her brother, she still has feelings for him, feelings that she's carried for half the series.

Political marriages, and arranged marriages are kind of the same thing, as they are both "arranged", and they do not consider the feelings of the parties involved. And you're right the objective is not to make the kids love each other, rather love is a byproduct of the two parties accepting that they will marry this other person, and putting aside any feelings of resentment they might have.

Last edited by Raxtenko; 2004-12-24 at 13:17.
Old 2004-12-24, 13:32   Link #370
dreamless

Quote:
Well Cagalli embraced Kira before he left Orb, and then pushed him down when he came back. And I don't see any remotest hint at Cagalli liking Athrun before the sibling revelation. Yup, things fall into place for her, that's months after her father's death and the sibling revelation. Months of time to licking up each other's wounds with Athrun I guess. Surely Athrun was not a second choice for Cagalli at that time, he's not her choice at that time. Only after both of them lost their first love, so they got whatever left for them. And she looked more upset than before when she found out that Kira was her brother. I think you need to watch that part again, she was clearly quite upset because she found out that they were siblings.

Athrun clearly looked very upset when they saw Lacus crying in Kira's arms.
Old 2004-12-24, 14:05   Link #371
LadyMadChan

Quote:
Sorry, but that doesn't gel together. She was glad to know that he was alive, but Cagalli strikes me as a very socially awarkward, and emotional person, i.e. her rather extreme reactions to everything, ie. yelling at people, attacking Kira in the desert arc, pulling a gun on Athrun after Kira's "death" etc.
It's all a matter of perception, and I suppose, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I see Cagalli as a vibrant and direct person, someone used to getting her way by using her mouth and essentially being rewarded for it (no not by her father or the nobles, but by her friends and the other people who raised her).

Quote:
She wanted to pursue something with Kira, I think, but she doesn't know how to. hell, she's been with Athrun for two years, but she's still rather awkward around him, granted Yuuna's probably causing it to a degree, but she can't even talk to him about her problems, all she does is stutter.
I took Cagalli to be under a lot of stress and pressure and Athrun's just trying to be the supportive boyfirned.

Quote:
What I meant by that last sentence was, Lacus sought refuge and comfort in Kira's arms, Athrun is depressed, I wonder why? Because he still has feelings for Lacus, he wishes that he as in Kira's place. Cagalli is upset. Why? Because even though Kira's her brother, she still has feelings for him, feelings that she's carried for half the series.
I also thought that Cagalli and Athrun were just saddened by the general situation. The leader of the side who wanted peace in Plant had just died, which left the door open to extremists. I'm my opinion, Athrun thought of Lacus as his fiancee but they really acted like they were good friends. And it isn't easy to see your friend suffering because her father died. If you look at Destiny, Athrun and Lacus' relationship really hasn't changed much (except that they're not engaged anymore), it's because there really were good friends from the beginning.

Quote:
And I don't see any remotest hint at Cagalli liking Athrun before the sibling revelation.
What abour episode 24?
LadyMadChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 14:11   Link #372
Raxtenko

All right, fair enough. I'll obviously never convince you to see things my way, and vice versa. So I'll just pull out of this debate. Like you said we'll just have to agree to disagree. (Doesn't mean that we won't disagree again in the future).

Old 2004-12-24, 14:17   Link #373
dreamless

Quote:
What abour episode 24?
Umm.. in ep24 Cagalli repeatedly tried to kill Athrun, when she had a gun, and when Athrun was asleep. You call that hint of Cagalli liking Athrun?

If anything, that episode showed how much Kira had influenced her.
Old 2004-12-24, 14:18   Link #374
Angela Sanctisstessa
I'm a boy..K?

Send a message via ICQ to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via MSN to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Sanctisstessa
hmm..epi 10..yea..
Spoiler:
..i wonder when Freedom will be out too...

and stampeder is just way awesome
Angela Sanctisstessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 14:22   Link #375
Depresionist

Send a message via MSN to Depresionist
I say the biggest hint was episode 31 where she finds Athrun from the wreakage. Then gives him the stone thing ^^
Old 2004-12-24, 15:20   Link #376
dreamless

again, that shows how much Kira has influenced her. She gets to learn Athrun is Kira's best friend at that time ^^
Old 2004-12-24, 19:18   Link #377
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMchan
Just something interesting here.

So it's actually "Meer Campbell" as opposed to "Mia Campbell"?
"Lacus" is Latin for "Lake"
"Meer" is German for "Sea".

Since the Japanese are so into Latin and German these days, I believe they have done their homework before adopting those 2 names for the characters.

Especially when comparing the Cup Size of Meer and Lacus.

A "Lake" to a "Sea".....Which one will fit into a bigger "Cup" ?
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 19:46   Link #378
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2
"Lacus" is Latin for "Lake"
"Meer" is German for "Sea".

Since the Japanese are so into Latin and German these days, I believe they have done their homework before adopting those 2 names for the characters.

Especially when comparing the Cup Size of Meer and Lacus.

A "Lake" to a "Sea".....Which one will fit into a bigger "Cup" ?
ya u gotta love all that complex symbolizm in the show..
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 20:25   Link #379
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Well, all this arguing over the complexities of the Kira/Lacus/Athrun/Cagalli multi-sided relation simply shows how poor Fukuda and his crew have developed the relationships in Gundam Seed. (But then again, relationships don't take the front seat in a Gundam series...)

As for the island scene, sorry, my mind is dominated by scenes of doujinshi I've read of that particular episode... where Athrun isn't exactly Mr. Nice-Person or Cagalli acts like a girl in heat when... aroused in a particular fashion...

But seriously, I always thought that particular event was the beginning of the rapport they shared between them. In a way, both Cagalli and Lacus managed to connect with both Kira and Athrun...

I think Fukuda decided to throw in the pairings after some Bandai / Sunrise management told him that fangirls were starting to tune into the show...
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 20:53   Link #380
Gattzu
Silent but Awesome

Anyone else think Athrun will turn sour? I mean become like his father...
Gattzu is offline   Reply With Quote