AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-18, 07:53   Link #21881
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Food for thought:

Since the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) are monotheistic and assert that there can only be one true, eternal and ever-watchful God... doesn't their place in the Raildex universe make them problematic? It seems that there is not one God--or at least that wasn't always the case(?)--so doesn't that make the core concept of the Abrahamic religions in Raildex... false? Doesn't that mean that the unique God is false, thus Christianity is false for example?

Mindfuck indeed. This hasn't been touched upon by anyone in the novel, am I right?

I have a feeling Aleister will bring it up and demonstrate that, simply by the fact that the Aeon of Isis once reigned, the Aeon of Osiris and of the singular God is not an eternal truth, thus is false, thus can be changed. Cue Laura and Pope's head exploding like in Scanners.

If so, Aleister's plan is, in part... to troll monotheism by changing the system yet again, with his own construct based on the example he saw in Aiwass

Isis: Polytheism: There are multiple gods !

Osiris: Monotheism: Nope! One True God. Totally. Really, I'm serious -__-!

Horus: Self-realization: Humans are the real gods! Gnosticism makes a comeback! :troll:

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2012-12-18, 10:15   Link #21882
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
@Mr.Kyon:
There are multiple ways to look at it. You can also say that Abrahamist religions reject to worship any deities but the Creation Deity (who is present in most religions and is often different from the ruling deity), seeing other gods as powerful beings that, in their opinions, are not worth worshiping unlike the force that started the existence.

If other gods appear, in their eyes they are just rebels who want to (once again?) steal authority from whom they consider to be the rightful watcher over the world.
So from that perspective it would be:
Isiris - multiple gods rule the world
Osiris - authority is given to whoever or whatever created those gods

There are of course more ways to look at it.
Old 2012-12-18, 14:28   Link #21883
Javiersansano

Actually, If I remember right, the whole Imaginary Numbers District is supposed to be a new "heaven"... and if I remeber right, in a conversation between Aleister and Tsuchimikado, the completion of the Imaginary Numbers District will bring the destruction of the current heaven and of the current system, which is why All the magic side people would die, just like Vento lost her tongue because of Hyoka's transformation.

I have a question... who the hell is the cat girl that appeared in the "Touma's welcoming parade" in NT vol. 2?
Old 2012-12-18, 14:35   Link #21884
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
Actually, If I remember right, the whole Imaginary Numbers District is supposed to be a new "heaven"... and if I remeber right, in a conversation between Aleister and Tsuchimikado, the completion of the Imaginary Numbers District will bring the destruction of the current heaven and of the current system, which is why All the magic side people would die, just like Vento lost her tongue because of Hyoka's transformation.
Nay you got it mixed up- It's not a new Heaven, Tsuchimikado corrected himself by saying something that is created by Science can't be called a Heaven. It's just a new dimension.

Also, the laws of Magic are made up of more than just the Abrahamic concept of Heaven, it's also being held together by other religions like Kabala, Buddhism, Shintoism or Hinduism etc and their individual spiritual place. You are right that the introduction of a new world would screw everything up.

However, Vento lost her tongue because Fiamma ripped half of it out It has nothing to do with Kazakiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
I have a question... who the hell is the cat girl that appeared in the "Touma's welcoming parade" in NT vol. 2?
Nobody knows, it's a gag.
Old 2012-12-18, 14:41   Link #21885
LazyHunter

Finally got around to reading the last NT novel and the side stories and I have to admit that reading the SP and the Norse Mythology ones really helps to understand more of Valkyries, dvergr and norse magic and the role they play on Index, though it also raises a lot of questions.

Does the existence of natural Valkyries prove the existence of the Norse Gods or they just work on Idol Theory? If you can alter a girl's body to artificially create a Valkyrie couldn't it be possible to do the same to create artificial Saints?

On the NT side; why are the Magic Side organizations doing nothing while Gremlin is preparing to create Gungnir and become flat-out invincible? I understand thay maybe they'are thinking that they'll wait until Academy City is destroyed or weakened but I don't think Othinus is going to stop at destroying the Science Side. Of course it's probable Laura Stuart is going to troll both Gremlin and Aleister and attack both of them but a scene or two to show they are at least aware and making plans would be nice.

Also on the subject of Saints I reread the first NT novels and noticed this in Chapter 4; Part 8 of NT 2

Quote:
But...

(Except for special cases like the Number Ten Saint, modern magicians are prohibited from a certain action. That is why I had to go up above the fortress first rather than going directly to it.)

The reason she had chosen to fall.

The reason she had not directly flown there.

Kanzaki Kaori referred to that.

There was one legend about Peter, one of the 12 Apostles. He had confronted a magician named Simon Magus who was famous for trying to buy sacred acts. When Simon had freely flown through the sky, what had Peter said?

It was...

"Oh, demons carrying this magic user, promptly let go!!"

Flight was prohibited.

That barrier existed for all magicians living in modern times.

That means of interception had spread too far due to it being simple yet both powerful and effective and due to it being based on a famous story. Thanks to that, humans were restricted by the fact that they would be brought down the instant they tried to fly without wings.
Does that means the number ten saint has wings and can ignore the limitation of flying? What do you guys think?
Old 2012-12-18, 16:31   Link #21886
tsunade666

I don't think its about having wings. Flying magic is a easy thing if you try to reread the part in WW III where the Russian magicians are angry at the super bomber of the academy city roaming free on their sky. They are angry because, in the past. Magicians reign supreme in flight battle but since its easy target for spells when your high above. Its become prohibited or rather unwise to fly. Just like how Kaori struck down Mjolnir down with a spell that hits down flying magic.

And I think Number 10 of the saints are probably a saint that doesn't have an alliance or a group where he/she belongs thus she is free to do what he/she wants. Kaori is constricted by the laws of the Angelican church. Though this is just pure speculation on this part.
Old 2012-12-18, 16:38   Link #21887
Sumeragi
Banned

For some reason, I really want Misaki to meet Touma full frontal in Index.
Old 2012-12-18, 16:43   Link #21888
tsunade666

Misaki will meet Touma in NT 6 she will see him in bloody clothes! Time for darn romance!
Old 2012-12-18, 17:53   Link #21889
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I don't think its about having wings. Flying magic is a easy thing if you try to reread the part in WW III where the Russian magicians are angry at the super bomber of the academy city roaming free on their sky. They are angry because, in the past. Magicians reign supreme in flight battle but since its easy target for spells when your high above. Its become prohibited or rather unwise to fly. Just like how Kaori struck down Mjolnir down with a spell that hits down flying magic.

And I think Number 10 of the saints are probably a saint that doesn't have an alliance or a group where he/she belongs thus she is free to do what he/she wants. Kaori is constricted by the laws of the Angelican church. Though this is just pure speculation on this part.
I knew that flying it's an easy spell for magicians, it's just that Peter spell means it's suicide to do so (I think it was mentioned before in the english civil war when the witches faced the knights that the witches could only hover a bit with their brooms because of this same spell) since it's a widespread catholic spell that brings down flying targets.

I just thought that the part of "flying without wings" was a hint at how this unknown saint can bypass this spell. I suppose the spell wouldn't work on a winged human since the wings are part of his body and thus flying would be something natural for him.

And dind't Misaki already meet Touma in the Railgun manga? Though it seemed strange that she already knew his name, as I thought telepathy didn't work on Touma. Maybe she was already saved by Touma pre-memory loss?
Old 2012-12-18, 17:56   Link #21890
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
For some reason, I really want Misaki to meet Touma full frontal in Index.

Misaki can wait, I want to see Accelerator meeting Thor.

Quote:
Accelerator: Hey you, who's the hippy looking punk?

Thor: Kamijou, who is this short hair brat?

Both: Please explain yourself!

Accelerator: What is your connection with him?!

Thor: Hmph, we're enemies that became friends in order to save a girl he barely knows!

Accelerator: That bastard... Another one...?!
Old 2012-12-18, 18:07   Link #21891
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I would pay to see Touma's biggest fanboys duke it out thought we haven't see much of Thor yet. What's with Touma and androgynous-looking boys anyway?
Old 2012-12-19, 01:29   Link #21892
tsunade666

Quote:
You're being influence by Sumeragi by too much -_- one of this day. I hope not, you will ended up joining the dark side.
Old 2012-12-19, 02:27   Link #21893
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
You're being influence by Sumeragi by too much -_- one of this day. I hope not, you will ended up joining the dark side.
Lol don't worry, that would absolutely never happen

I'm positively sure of it

There's nothing wrong with me
Old 2012-12-19, 02:53   Link #21894
tsunade666

^that my friend, is the stage of denial
Old 2012-12-19, 02:59   Link #21895
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
^that my friend, is the stage of denial
Haha you worry too much I think I would know when I'm being indoctrinated....
Old 2012-12-19, 11:32   Link #21896
Stufu

I don't think Misaki will fully enter the Index series
Old 2012-12-19, 11:44   Link #21897
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
I would pay to see Touma's biggest fanboys duke it out thought we haven't see much of Thor yet. What's with Touma and androgynous-looking boys anyway?
Interesting observation. Maybe testosterone is the only thing that offers protection against Touma's otherwise irresistible charm. If you're low on it you'll get affected.
(Though according to this theory Kuroko would have a lot of it )

Quote:
Haha you worry too much I think I would know when I'm being indoctrinated....
LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stufu View Post
I don't think Misaki will fully enter the Index series
I don't see why not, she's well acquainted with the dark side of AC.

Although Kamachi implied that he already has some trouble using the current amount of active characters. He would need to make some space to use Misaki, fully as you said (there's no limit to the number of cameos or references)
Old 2012-12-19, 12:08   Link #21898
LazyHunter

I think one of Index weaknesses is the large amount of characters that could be fleshed out a little more but are just forgotten in a few volumes or relegated to cameo appeareances. People like Tschumikado or Styil really need their time to shine (maybe I'm just being partial because they're some of my favorite characters)

Still I think that someone like Misaki, one of the Level 5s, could be used for something more than being the villain of the arc in the Railgun manga. Also about Railgun, though this time the new season, anyone else thinks that the sidestory where Mikoto fights Gunha would make a nice first episode. It would reintroduce the concept of levels, would make a nice reference to the plot of the first season with Kihara Nayuta and would show to anime-only viewers that there are other Level 5 like Mikoto on Academy City.
Old 2012-12-19, 12:17   Link #21899
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

^I've always thought having that as either the first introductory episode or a bonus episode at the end of the second season was a no brainer. If they don't animate it, they are seriously too dumb to live.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2012-12-19, 13:39   Link #21900
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ A bonus episode is fine.

Quote:
Also, since the discussion was brought here, I should say that Stiyl had his time to shine, same goes for Tsuchimikado, and quite a lot if you ask me (has people already forgotten the numerous roles they had during the first 24 volumes ... ahh come on, those guys have even more screen time than my Itsuwa). Frankly, making new characters really relevant every 2-3 volumes is near impossible for such a huge cast (whose fault is that? I don't know, and I'm not blaming anyone). Even, good writers like Oda can't do that without waiting for several new arcs, and that's how it's supposed to be (unless you want a Global War Arc every single volume until the end of the series that is). And if anything, I'd say Kamachi did a really good job managing the characters from vol 6-22 + the SS + Railgun. And right now, even useless douchebags like Baba made a reappearance ... Tatemiya might come back with a badass looking scar on his face ... Spunk-kun ... Half-chan ... well my point is, everyone that's worth it (or some that aren't worth it) will surely make an important come back in a way or another later on (unless they really aren't meant to come back), so it's really not a problem IMO (not in the long term).
By desrtsku the "brackets master".

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen