AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-05-24, 19:51   Link #901
Lost Cause

My Top 5

Ghost in the Shell
Code Geass
Fate stay/night
Lucky Star
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Really though, only 5?! I got a few others I'd fight over too!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 19:56   Link #902
Shizuo
Bartender

Location: For my safety, I'm going to say Australia... Wait...
Picking only 5? That's a tough one.

1) Code Geass
2) Durarara
3) Death Note
4) Yugioh 5Ds
5) Gundam 00

I realise two of those shows are still airing but I don't care for they are still awesome.
Shizuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 00:59   Link #903
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Nice lineup, Vexx. Love your passion.

I'd also be willing to list about 20 I'd put above the rest of the pack. But since this is a thread for five, I'll do that. Hard but I'll manage.

5. Mushishi - This is a series that is so unique in style, setting and approach. I remember sitting down with Episode 1 starting at 6pm one night and that I finished Episode 26 at 5am the next morning. Lush, soothing animation that exuded the power and beauty of nature and was exceptionally good with its use of green as a colour. Soothing rustic music and a gem of an opening theme with 'The Sore Feet Song' by Ally Kerr = instantly into the soothing, mystical world of Mushishi. An extraordinary amount of effort to create the various Mushi and to make all of them unique to create 26 different scenarios across the journey. Ginko was simple and humble, yet he was a compassionate and wise person. It was refreshing to see a male like him in anime, because there aren't many around like him. Stories that made me laugh, made me cringe and made me gasp. A 'soul food' series, for sure.

4. Elfen Lied - The opening theme, 'Lilium' is a masterpiece. The first five minutes of the first episode have such a shocking impact that is impossible to forget. I found it worthwhile to consider what the original manga-ka wanted to convey in this story - To show the terrible things humans do to each other and what comes from that. That message is conveyed very well. The orchestral soundtrack is loaded with pieces of varying moods that suited the scenes they accompanied to the core. The animation is just gorgeous - such detail in the backgrounds down to the finest details and the cels were given good treatment. Definitely one of the few series that could draw peoples' bodies well, especially when naked. Lucy's shift between psycho and innocent cutie was both fascinating and chilling. Elfen Lied managed to tread a dark path without betraying its values or the characters going on that path and it deserves respect for that. Pity it was cut a bit short, but I don't have any regrets.

3. Minami-ke 1st series - Instantly lifts my spirits after a long day and puts a smile on my face. Creating the sisters and the neighbouring family to have names to match the four seasons in kanji and in name respectively was genius and really suited the sisters. The chemistry between the three sisters was just perfect - a great mix of warmth, tension and fun. Haruka = beuatiful on the inside and outside and a bastion of maternal strength. Chiaki = sly, witty humour + innocence and longing for Haruka that was charming. Kana = essential spanner in the works that triggered everyone to be what they are. Classic mini movies, running jokes via TV shows, the funniest trap and reverse trap ever - ah, so many good memories. Makes me smile reminiscing. Episode 5 is one of the best single episodes of anything I'll ever watch - Chiaki's Teraterabozu and the gradual buildup of Haruka's struggle with her bikini until the glorious unveiling were just perfect.

=1. Code Geass (both season) - At a time I was about to give up watching anime, this came out. I haven't looked back. A decade defining series. It had enough belief/ego to end up being larger than life and to deliver something epic. Delivered my fave male character ever in Lelouch, my fave female character ever in C.C. and near fave ever in Kallen. Masterful at mixing character development and action. Utterly ridiculous at times yet it was just aumsing/thrilling. Yet able to deliver such tender, fragile moments that defined the main characters that were just sublime. R1 Episode 11 is my favourite episode ever of anything. The ending was a brilliant climax. And this would be the one series where I was counting the days, hours and minutes to the next episode and spend hours hotly debating each episode with other people. The first major step of anime finally getting over 'The War'.

=1. Last Exile - The one series that got me hooked on anime. After seeing a couple of Miyazaki movies and the odd fodder series, I wanted to see what was really out there. The final item of the playlist of the club I started going to seven years ago was Last Exile. If that wasn't on, I doubt I'd be an anime fan. From the moment it begins, it is intriguing, surreal, full of danger and adrenaline. A good world concept but it was the characters that made the series a gem. They had a lot of depth and made the series fun, heartbreaking and inspiring. A flawless soundtrack from the Dolce Triade and Shintaro Okino made for spellbinding battles and nostalgic moments coupled with the dreamy visuals. I could not see this series being made today - it was such a giant risk and very unlike what was around at the time. But it had the quality, the steam and that rare feeling of epicness that made it a thrill from start to finish.
Old 2010-05-26, 19:08   Link #904
eask8ers

1)Bleach
2)Eureka 7
3)Rosario + Vampire
4)Soul Eater
5)Code geass
eask8ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 02:35   Link #905
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I really only have 2 series' that are my "favorites" but I'll list 3 honorable mentions as well.

Honorable Mentions:

5. Clannad - Great outlook on the aspects of living a normal life while going through your highschool years and making you consider how you'd shape your future afterwards. Also the dramatic moments are quite divine. Key's series' seems to have a knack for it.~

4. Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann - There's not much about this series I paticularily like as after Kamina died I found it started to go downhill pretty quickly, but I've never seen a another anime give me such entertaining, epic and awesome action scenes as this one did.~

3. K-ON!! - Unlike other slice of life anime like Lucky Star or Haruhi, this one actually manages to make me laugh. Probably because I can compare myself and people I know with these characters, and when together we usually converse in very similar ways. I love funny things so this one is awesome.~

Favorites:

2. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - This is the series responsible for getting me into manga and anime in the first place, and therefore will always be one of my favorites. I really enjoyed the mysterious and sometimes threatening air the series takes while not completely shoving it in your face and takes a funny and lighthearted air now and then to do just that. The mystery of what happened and wanting to find it out is also one of the driving factors for this series as it sparked my curiousity quite greatly.

1. One Piece - This series just seems to contain everything I love. Cartoony slapstick humour, creative and memorable characters, a plot which manages to stay fresh and interesting, well excecuted character development and relationships and the fact it's something I can look forward to every week and not have to worry about ending anytime soon. I also find it a relief from the "pretty" anime drawing styles from time to time, but that's not really important. All in all this series just amazing and rightfully deserves the top spot on my list.
Old 2010-05-29, 04:48   Link #906
Nocturne Dragon
Holy Judgment

1) Darker Than Black
2) Wolf's Rain
3) Bleach
4) Detective Conan
5) Death Note
Nocturne Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-29, 11:07   Link #907
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

mine

One Piece , Gintama , Rurouni Kenshin , Saiunkoku Monogatari and Clannad ~After Story~ .
Old 2010-06-26, 06:29   Link #908
kitten320

Without specific order:
1) Mai HiME
2) Ghost Hunt
3) Ga-Rei Zero
4) Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
5) Not sure... I would say GTO or FMA both seasons.
Old 2010-06-28, 09:54   Link #909
Ruby-Chan
OMECHIKAIRI!!!

My favs:

Higurashi na naku koro ni
Hellsing
Kuroshitsuji
Elfen Lied
DearS
Ruby-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 11:26   Link #910
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

In no particular order.

Great Teacher Onizuka
Death Note
Code Geass
Digimon Tamers (that nostalgia)
Nanoha A's
PositronCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 18:41   Link #911
bite_the_bullet
Biting bullets hurts Xo

five anime/animation I like
1. Black Lagoon: This was the first anime/animation I watched properly and I loved it. The fact that it got dubbed pretty good made it all the better as an introduction into these videos and made me want to find more like it.
2. K-ON: Probably because it doesn't try to be particularly supernatural or special but has made the plot something theasable in real life. Also it's pretty funny and I am yet to find myself geting bored.
3. Bleach: I know this probably appeared on more than a few posts but i do enjoy watching it sometimes.
4. So Ra No Wa To: probably spelt a little wrong but I thought this was a great 13 episode long series as it was funny, dramatic and the ending rocked.
5. Shikofumi: just something i found myself enjoying to watch occassionally
bite_the_bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-28, 22:33   Link #912
kona~chan
ヘタレ

1. Lucky Star
2. Code Geass
3. Gintama
4. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
5. Ranma 1/2

”生きるってつらいな。。。”
Onjouji Toki
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 15:49   Link #913
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Really... "top five" isn't enough, there's probably about 20 series I consider indispensable to my library.
I agree. It's like a parent being asked to choose their favorite child.

To me, I've got at least 25, from classics to brand-new series. It would take me at least 2-3 forum pages to explain everything I liked (or even disliked) about them, as well.
Old 2010-06-29, 16:09   Link #914
Agneyastra
Freshmeat

Send a message via MSN to Agneyastra Send a message via Yahoo to Agneyastra
.hack//SIGN

Bakuretsu Tenshi(Burst Angel)

Soul Eater

Noein - To your other self

Nabari no O
Old 2010-06-29, 16:20   Link #915
Vantek
Asleep Being

1) Claymore
2) Neon Genesis Evangelion
3) Samurai Champloo
4) Berserk
5) -VACANT!-

I expect Cowboy Bepop or Ghost In The Shell to at least take the last spot when I finally get to watching them. Or maybe Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiments Lain, Darker Than Black. If I had to force a decision now I would have to fill it with Seirei No Moribito, Naruto Shippuuden or Elfen Lied but they don't really deserve that position.
Vantek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 19:58   Link #916
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

no specific order

1. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
2. Fate/Stay Night
3. Claymore
4. Sekirei
5. Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku o!
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 20:20   Link #917
Sempie
Rargna

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
(When I originally went into this I was expecting blood, gore, and horror,while I got that I also got a great underlying mystery underneath all the creepy masks, and eyes that exhilarated me to the very end.

Darker than Black
(Simply beautiful in the character department, I didn't notice cliches, the main characters was a niche that Hei is still in my top 5 character for 3 years now. The story was a bit hard to follow, but the pace was well done.)

Code Geass

(The first badass character to not be full blown evil was leloouch, and his mindf***trucking was amazing to the finale, of twists, and turn to their breakin point.)

Baccano!
(How could you have so many main characters, and possily make these great in their department, and story? Oh what you did? With only 16 episodes, and even introducing more characters? Damn your good.

Higashi no Eden/Eden of the East

(The whole story felt new, you couldn;t tell what was coming, and it went with a bang, as the movies, and series where great from the first second the last.)
Sempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 17:17   Link #918
qwertqwert8989

Millenium Actress
Mushishi
My Neighbor Totoro
Jin-Roh
Planetes
qwertqwert8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 17:25   Link #919
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
I can't remember the last time I posted here, so...

TV series or OVAs

1. AIR
2. Juuni Kokuki
3. Elfen Lied
4. Terra e...
5. Toradora!

Honourable mentions: Haibane Renmei, Chrono Crusade, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha franchise, ef - a tale of <x>

Movies

1. Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
2. Spirited Away
3. End of Evangelion
4. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
5. Millennium Actress
Old 2010-07-02, 17:34   Link #920
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
my top will always be all gainax.
1)FLCL
2) his and her circumstances
3)evangelion
4) gurren lagann
5) smth else gainax makes
or, or...doesnt matter what goes here cause it will be miles away from the quality of the first 4

really, someone thought it'd be cool to ask for 5, five animes??? yeah FIVE. not ten or twenty, but five. yeah, there is so little good anime out there, that five is enough. good going. and this thread is still popular and i'm still posting in it...
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lists, top five