Old 2008-06-21, 01:40   Link #121
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

So after beating the game last night, here's my MGS hierarchy:

MGS4 > MGS3 > MGS1/Twinsnakes > MGS2
Here's mine.

Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake > Metal Gear Solid > Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots > Metal Gear Solid 2 Son of Liberty > Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater > Metal Gear Solid PO > Metal Gear.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Master Mold; 2008-06-24 at 01:42.
Master Mold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 01:56   Link #122
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
MGS5 all but confirmed yo.

http://kotaku.com/5018517/hey-metal-...-star-big-boss
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 02:08   Link #123
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Another prequel? More spin offs as I see it. Give Oldman Solid Snake a break he's been there done that, lets wait for the new generation of Metal Gear Heroes. Lets give a new generation a chance since Solid Snake is retired now.
Old 2008-06-21, 02:28   Link #124
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
I believe I played that game. I believe it was called Snake Eater unless that one no longer counts.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 02:32   Link #125
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I honestly gave up trying to make any sense of the Metal Gear plot about 2/3 of the way through Metal Gear Solid 3. Every time I try to I just get frustrated at how nonsensical it is and want to burn things so I don't. I don't even really like Metal Gear all that much other than Twin Snakes, what am I even saying?
What was it that was so hard for you to understand about the MGS3 story?
Quote:
Really I just don't get the appeal at all, I mean I do in that every character is written to be as "cool" as humanly possible, but when you try to put it all togther, OH MY GOD does it all fall apart fast. When I'm not watching a cutscene that I can't decide to take as a joke or to take it seriously as part of the "story" I'm just laughing at how everything seems to be getting made up as they go along. I refuse to believe that Metal Gear Solid as invisioned by Hideo Kojima is anything other than pure self indulgent service to the fans post Shadow Moses Island incident. And don't even get me started about the length of the cutscenes, I'd like to play the game not watch it thank you Mr. Kojima. I think of Metal Gear Solid the same way I do of Advent Children, really pretty action (and poses) and lots of dialogue delivered ultra seriously, but turn off your brain or you'll start to get mixed signals once you realize nothing being said is at all as dramatic or sensible as it portends to be.
What was it that fell apart fast? your right the story was made up as it went along, Hideo Kojima stated he does that, but that still does NOT make the story bad. MGS has always had long cut scenes/codec convo's, the stronger the gaming system got the longer they grew. You also did play the game, not just watch cut scenes and there is a feature that allows you to skip them if you want...
Spoiler:

Quote:
I just hope that next time it's actually a movie on Blue Ray since that seems to be what Kojima really wants to make.
Naw, Im cool with what he has done in gaming.

Quote:

Though I do admit I at least find the character of Snake and his story as a true soldier and a patriot interesting. Every other character in the game though annoys me on some level I can't explain as does the plot.
Funny that I find the main character to be well written, but the story surrounding him a load of schlock.
I agree about Solid Snake but there where others who where on the same level and even a bit futher, like Ocelot, and what didn't the story explain? I thought the story was Good and a good way to put down the series, sure it was not perfect and sure it could have been better but it was not crap not even close. What was so schlock about the story surrounding solid/Old Snake?

Quote:
I refuse to believe that Metal Gear Solid as invisioned by Hideo Kojima is anything other than pure self indulgent service to the fans post Shadow Moses Island incident.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Master Mold; 2008-06-21 at 03:34.
Old 2008-06-21, 09:06   Link #126
The Fouth Hokage
Hokage

I'm thinking about getting this game.
The Fouth Hokage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 09:14   Link #127
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fouth Hokage View Post
I'm thinking about getting this game.
Don't think about it. Just do it.

Hahahaha.
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 12:18   Link #128
~ Lawliet ~

I would very much like to play this, though I unfortunately do not own a PS3.
~ Lawliet ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 12:35   Link #129
Amray

Snake Eater was easy to understand! Basically you were playing Solid Snakes father "Big Boss". The story was set before all the other MGS games. Hence why Ocelot was really young and such. And at the end of MGS3 you see the whole timeline of what happens.

Snake Eater was the best one! I adored it. It gave the audience a much bigger insight on Big Boss and how awesome he really was.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 13:42   Link #130
Dingo
The polyphony

Finished Act 4 last night

wow
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 15:17   Link #131
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
Snake Eater was easy to understand! Basically you were playing Solid Snakes father "Big Boss". The story was set before all the other MGS games. Hence why Ocelot was really young and such. And at the end of MGS3 you see the whole timeline of what happens.

Snake Eater was the best one! I adored it. It gave the audience a much bigger insight on Big Boss and how awesome he really was.
Yeah, out of MGS1, 2, and 3, Snake eater was the easiest to understand and yet still a great story, It shed alot of light on Big Boss two.
Old 2008-06-21, 15:25   Link #132
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINBEI View Post

Naw, Im cool with what he has done in gaming.
They're barely games, that's my main issue with the franchise. Each game is less and less about actually playing it and more about watching it and Snake Eater was the worst for it. The whole Japanese video game market is going through this phase where it seems like the less gamelike something is and the more Visual Novel like it is then the better it sells and you know it's just making lose interest in a lot of franchises. Square Enix has the same problem. I'd rather Hideo Kojima just stay away from games if people are going to take after his style.

Another problem, his style was fresh when Metal Gear Solid came out with it's emphasis on story, but now it's pretty much the norm and I'm tired of it. That also makes me lose interest in the franchise. I'm sorry, I just really do not see the appeal at all anymore. People get so excited over this franchise and I just do not understand it, nor do I really care for it much anymore. It's certainly not about to make me go out and buy a PS3 just to watch it. So much hype for something so....ugh.....

The franchise was better before they introduced all this Patriots, Cloning, Big Boss is bloody immortal stuff. I liked it when it was just infiltrate the base and stop the bad guy while Snake goes through some conflict with his own team.
Old 2008-06-21, 16:01   Link #133
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
They're barely games, that's my main issue with the franchise. Each game is less and less about actually playing it and more about watching it and Snake Eater was the worst for it.
Naw, I think its a balance of both playing the game and watching the story unfold. Just like in Metal Gear Solid, and hey if you beat it real fast try putting the game on a harder difficulty Im sure that would make the game play experience longer. How many Hours would you like the Gameplay side of the game to be?

Quote:
I'd rather Hideo Kojima just stay away from games if people are going to take after his style.
I would rather Hideo to stay in gaming and have other create there own style rather then bite off, MGS.

Quote:
Another problem, his style was fresh when Metal Gear Solid came out with it's emphasis on story, but now it's pretty much the norm and I'm tired of it. That also makes me lose interest in the franchise.
I guess you have not played Metal Gear, or Metal gear 2 Solid Snake, Which both came before Metal Gear Solid. Hideo style has been around for some time, and each MGS game had alot of the same stuff Metal gear solid had with extra stuff in it. Each time Hideo put out a MGS game he stepped it up, and his emphasis was on stealth rather then guns blazing and not just story.

I don't see how you label MGS as norm.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just really do not see the appeal at all anymore. People get so excited over this franchise and I just do not understand it, nor do I really care for it much anymore. It's certainly not about to make me go out and buy a PS3 just to watch it. So much hype for something so....ugh.....
I feel the same way about, GTA, and Halo.

Quote:
The franchise was better before they introduced all this Patriots, Cloning, Big Boss is bloody immortal stuff. I liked it when it was just infiltrate the base and stop the bad guy while Snake goes through some conflict with his own team.
The Cloing part was introduced in Metal Gear Solid, you said you liked it. when was it every said that Big Boss was immortal? The only character who was thought to be immortal was Vamp. Snake is always infiltrating the base in each game, Snake has always had some conflicts with his own team some where in each game. All the things you said you missed is still there, with a bit of extra.

What was wrong with the Patriots?
Old 2008-06-21, 16:36   Link #134
kujoe
from head to heel

Actually, the sneaking aspect isn't always the same either.

In MGS and MGS2, Snake and Raiden had to sneak their way inside a base.

MGS3 was set in a jungle, while MGS4 was set in different locales that were in the middle of some armed conflict.

There were some nuances in each situation, and each offered an openness in dealing with things.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 16:54   Link #135
Master Mold
Banned

Agreed and there nothing wrong with that either, As I said before Hideo in each game keeps MGS at it roots and keeps the experience the same with a bit of fresh air with each new Game. If it was always the same ingredients for the potion nothing new added, then fans would call it true repetitive trash.
Old 2008-06-21, 17:16   Link #136
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
then fans would call it true repetitive trash.
And trust me I would be among the first to do so.So far I've enjoyed pretty much every single MGS game, the Ac!d series was really addicting and made me not regret buying a psp way back when it first came out.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 17:53   Link #137
SkoolRumble4Ya

Spoiler for Act 4:
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 20:21   Link #138
Monkey D. Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
I would still check this game out, even if I do think that with the end of Solid Snake it would be good to put this entire "Snake" saga concerning all of them to rest. We already have a clear picture (at least some do) of what transpired in the entire story from Snake Eater to Guns of The Patriots. It would be nice to see games still being released with the name "Metal Gear" but with a whole new story, characters and settings, to me 4 has already brought closure to the entire story of the series.
Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 22:10   Link #139
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINBEI View Post

I feel the same way about, GTA, and Halo.
Yeah I got tired of the GTA franchise around the time San Andreas came out and have just never played Halo. Franchises can be hyped as much as the producers want but once I lose interest that's it. Unfortunately that's what happened with Metal Gear so what can I say really.
Old 2008-06-22, 00:38   Link #140
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Whether it's MGS4, GTA4, Halo 3, COD4, etc these blockbuster games demand respect in one area and thats the production values of these games. So much time and attention to detail goes into these games and I can tell a lot of gamers take it for granted and then trash the games, which sucks imo.

Look back at the original Resident Evil for example and even a lot of JRPG's, they all have horrid voice acting and I for one am grateful that video game companies have now taken it upon themselves to hire quality actors for the games.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote