AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-05-22, 23:11   Link #1
ImperialPanda

BSOD, crashing, errors, etc

First time building a machine and I really have no idea what's wrong.

Windows 7, and this is my first time using it so I'm not familiar with the errors being presented.

First issue was BSOD right after boot, but that went away after I took out and reinserted the RAM.

For a few hours things were good. Then I started getting errors in I.E. every 20min-1hr that would close a window. And at roughly then programs would crash when I try to run them (starcraft 2 beta, claiming corrupt files).

I installed Nero to burn memtest86 onto a disc and while installing got a crapload of error messages from windows about things failing, and a message from nero installer saying unable to change shell settings or something like that. It still ended up getting installed just fine though, oddly enough.

Ran through one pass of memtest86+, no errors.

Then downloaded western digital's HDD diagnostics. Ran it, no errors.

Core temps are 27C no load, 50C full load.

Did not overclock CPU. RAM is actually underclocked with the manufacturer specified timings and mode.

So yeah out of ideas. Any suggestions would help, thanks.

--

And also, problems seem to start happening a few hours or so after booting up, and goes away (maybe? not sure) after restarting. Although I could be imagining this pattern.

Shoulda just bought a fkn dell -.-

Last edited by ImperialPanda; 2010-05-22 at 23:22.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-22, 23:38   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Given that you're getting instability after a few hours, it sounds like a heat-related issue. Theoretically the restart shouldn't make a difference, but... you'd be surprised.

How did you install the heat sink? Are your case fans powered and functioning?
Old 2010-05-22, 23:55   Link #3
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialPanda View Post

First issue was BSOD right after boot, but that went away after I took out and reinserted the RAM.
This looks rather suspicious... you could have a bad RAM module ... if you have 2 modules take one out and run the computer with just one... then do that with the other... one of the might be the culprit
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-23, 01:41   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuXe View Post
This looks rather suspicious... you could have a bad RAM module ... if you have 2 modules take one out and run the computer with just one... then do that with the other... one of the might be the culprit
This could be true - he said he ran a Memtest and it was fine, but I missed the fact that he ran only one pass. I forgot what the advice was, but I think you should do at least three (maybe it was five?) full tests. A very low number of errors - under 10 or so - isn't a big deal. If the RAM has big problems it'll be pretty obvious. I once had a faulty 1 GB module, and when I ran the Memtest I'd get errors in the hundreds, I think it was, all around the same sectors.
Old 2010-05-23, 14:15   Link #5
ImperialPanda

It is the RAM I think, cold boot BSOD. BSOD'd again this morning. And this time I ran memtest right after and there were ~1000 errors in less than 4 seconds. Going to get it RMA'd.

It somewhat works after a few restarts/some time (programs still crash occationally). I just hope it's not the MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuXe View Post
When I got BSOD yesterday morning I thought about that too. Took out one module and booted with just the other one. Worked (no BSOD for 10+ minutes). Then took out other one and put in the one I took out. Worked again. >.> Put both in, worked still. This was after BSODing 4-5 consecutive times on boot before I took out any RAM. Confused the hell outta me. :x
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-23, 15:27   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

You'd only get issues if the faulty segment of RAM were used. When I had a faulty RAM module I'd regularly get kernel panics (Mac equivalent of a BSOD), but it was relatively rare - unless I were utilizing my RAM very heavily. It makes sense - when more RAM is in use, the chances that you'll knock on the bad segment are much greater.