Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-27, 19:56   Link #801
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
Apparently Sony made two replies

Rumor update: PS4 reserves up to 5GB of RAM for games [Update: 'Absolutely false', 6GB hinted]

Quote:
Update: Brian Provinciano, head of confirmed PlayStation 4 developer Vblank Entertainment, has called the Digital Foundry rumors “absolutely false.”

“It’s absolutely false,” he said in response to the rumors. “Absolutely ridiculous.”

Provinciano went up with an editorial on the drama, in which he provides insight. He wouldn’t confirm how much memory is used, however.

Meanwhile, over on NeoGAF, known insider Thuway said PlayStation 4 will reserve six gigabytes of RAM for games and two for the operating system. BruceLeeRoy, another known insider, and forum admin Kagari corroborated Thuway’s report.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 20:27   Link #802
Reality_Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
So now the comments are going to say 6>5 this should be interesting, especially in the IGN comments section.
Old 2013-07-27, 21:34   Link #803
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Is there any reason to suspect Gaikai is behind this? I thought all of the processing will be performed on the Gaikai servers. The only thing that you need the console for are outputting the audio-video and sending control inputs back to the server. You could probably do that with a couple hundred MB RAM or less.

I can't think of anything that would eat up 2+ GB of RAM for the OS, so it seems like insurance in case some new feature/application comes out in the next 3-4 years.
Very unlikely. Gaikai technology, before bought by Sony, were already used in all sorts of devices with much lower processing power/memory like Smart TVs, etc.

Besides, Gaikai's core-feature shouldn't use OS memory allocation anyway, because they're basically playing games, and rationally it should tap into the game RAM and not OS RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
The best theory I've heard on the subject of RAM usage is that it may relate to a Vita-like ability to quickly pause/resume any game or application. I have to say that one of the best things about the Vita is how easy it is to just drop what you're doing to quickly reply to a message from a friend or even check the browser for a walkthrough.

Given all the marketing for the PS4 has been advertising similar capabilities for the system I reckon that they plan to keep 1GB available for the so called "light" applications that can be "running" at the same time as one full blown game. The rest (1.5GB) fits precisely with what has been rumoured before as being dedicated to the operating system.
But Vita achieves that 'quick-pause/resume' multi-tasking very smoothly with very low OS footprint. It's the main reason for initial disbelief that OS takes up so much space, because Sony's been pretty efficient at making a lean OS.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 00:22   Link #804
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I don't know why Sony made an announcement of the Ram usage . Seems like it created a lot of unneeded confusing.
Old 2013-07-28, 00:27   Link #805
Alchemist007
*Author

I guess I'll have to get this after all since they're bound to make TLOU 2 for it. But since that's a ways off, I've got time.
Old 2013-07-28, 04:24   Link #806
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
I don't know why Sony made an announcement of the Ram usage . Seems like it created a lot of unneeded confusing.
Its because Digital Foundry made a claim about the RAM usage for the PS4 which sparks 'unrest' across the net.

Take note that this is the same DF which claimed that the PS4 record only the last 7mins while in truth its 15mins of gameplay.
Old 2013-07-28, 04:33   Link #807
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
Sony likes to answer rumours. Probably a deliberate act to differentiate themselves from MS who tend to say nothing at all.
Old 2013-07-28, 04:48   Link #808
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
But Vita achieves that 'quick-pause/resume' multi-tasking very smoothly with very low OS footprint. It's the main reason for initial disbelief that OS takes up so much space, because Sony's been pretty efficient at making a lean OS.
1GB on a 8GB system would qualify as low footprint in my book. It's a completely different scale than what happens on the Vita and, given how memory constrained the PS3 ended up being on the OS side, I reckon Sony would want to avoid falling into that particular pitfall this time around.

But anyway it seems to be a moot point given the quotes by Chaos2Frozen. I'm a bit confused by what they mean when they claim that 1GB is system managed while the rest is completely given to the game but my knowledge of Operating Systems architecture doesn't go much past my second year computer science classes so I may be failing to visualize some way to mix virtual memory with classical direct ram access.

That reminds me: are there any good articles on the operating system running on the Vita? I think we may get some clues into what the PS4 will be like if we understand that system better.
Old 2013-07-28, 04:51   Link #809
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Sony likes to answer rumours. Probably a deliberate act to differentiate themselves from MS who tend to say nothing at all.
Who is in charge of Sony's PR?
Old 2013-07-28, 05:14   Link #810
Westlo
Lets be reality

Still don't know why Xbot fanboys are celebrating, even if it was 5 gig making it the same as the One, the speed of the ram is superior in the ps4, than you have a much stronger GPU in the PS4 combined with a lower price point.

Price point and "best" 3rd party games were two massive advantages the 360 had over the ps tripple, heck the better 3rd party games combined with better online network is the reason that the 360 was my main platform. Sony had the advantage in exclusive games since their studios vastly outnumber MS.

Now you can say what you want about the launch exclusives, and heck I'll rather play Killer Instinct over everything else for sure, heck I might even buy a One shortly after launch if this game is the "truth" but Sony will have the better exclusives over the course of the gen, as shown by what the [s3 has got and is still to get this year.

so sony still has the stronger console, still has the better pricepoint and will win the exclusive war while having superior or at worst even multiplat games.

It's a no brainer to me, hopefully PSN is as good as XBL by the time some big fighting games get released for next gen like Guilty Gear, Tekken X Streetfighter and Street Fighter V.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 10:06   Link #811
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

The PS4 has the has the superior hardware in every way and multiplatform games for the Consoles will either look better, run smoother or both at the same time on the PS4. The architecture is basically the same, just that the PS4 has much more garphicpower.

About the games. Lets see and wait.

30 First-Party PS4 Games in Development, 20 in the First Year, 12 New IP
http://gengame.net/2013/06/sony-30-f...ear-12-new-ip/

Quote:
Sony announced at E3 this year that over 140 PS4 games are in development, with 100 in the first year and 40 exclusives. However, that was just a general statement, and didn’t specify first-party numbers. Now we know that of those 140 total games, 30 are first-party titles, with 20 in the console’s first year and 12 new IP.
Quote:
We very consciously, at the event in New York on February 20 of this year, we showed a lot of software. We showed a lot of first-party software. What we did at E3 here was really show some updates to those games, and, as you mentioned, introduce The Order: 1886. There’s a lot coming. I’m sure you heard from [SCE Worldwide Studios boss] Shu [Yoshida] that he has—just his studios—he has 30 games in development. 20 of them are going to ship within the first year of the console’s life, and of those, 12 are new IP. So there’s a lot going on, it’s just that we need to keep stuff back. We’ve got Gamescom for us Europeans—we need to have something to show at Gamescom, don’t we?
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 21:02   Link #812
Reality_Breaker

Just came from IGN and Holy Crap! there are still people commenting on the PS4 memory thread, that site has officially become trollIGN.com to me, i'm still going to post some stuff or you know troll the xbots, it's fun so why not. XD
Old 2013-07-29, 03:53   Link #813
Veviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Now you can say what you want about the launch exclusives, and heck I'll rather play Killer Instinct over everything else for sure, heck I might even buy a One shortly after launch if this game is the "truth" but Sony will have the better exclusives over the course of the gen, as shown by what the [s3 has got and is still to get this year.
So true. I bought a 360 this gen and skipped on ps3 because it was the console that my brother's friends have so we can share games. I'm not much of a gamer myself. All of the games I bought are also on the ps3, but I had to borrow my cousin's ps3 to play the last of us. There's barely any xbox360 exclusives coming out. It would have been better to go with ps3.
Old 2013-07-29, 09:35   Link #814
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

PlayStation 4 has party chat, friends cap at 2,000

Quote:
The PlayStation Network friends list will cap at 2,000 people.

The clip also confirms party chat, services like Netflix, and free-to-play games will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription. General online gaming, however, will.
Old 2013-07-29, 10:53   Link #815
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

And now there are people who are trying to spin this into negative point. I don't understand how they could saying "party chat is free while online multiplaying is not makes no sense". Do they want Sony to move everything behind the paywall like MS, honestly?
Old 2013-07-29, 15:42   Link #816
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veviticus View Post
So true. I bought a 360 this gen and skipped on ps3 because it was the console that my brother's friends have so we can share games. I'm not much of a gamer myself. All of the games I bought are also on the ps3, but I had to borrow my cousin's ps3 to play the last of us. There's barely any xbox360 exclusives coming out. It would have been better to go with ps3.
That's exactly it. I bought the 360 back in late 2006 or so for the exclusives they were pumping out for the system...

Then most of those games came on the PS3 and then they just stopped coming out for the 360 altogether.

Now my 360 is mostly gathering dust while the PS3 I bought a couple of years ago is on the running for my most played system ever (the original Gameboy and my Mega Drive/Genesis are still up there though ).
Old 2013-07-29, 15:43   Link #817
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
PlayStation 4 has party chat, friends cap at 2,000

so, uh, where is the HDD located? lol
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 15:49   Link #818
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
so, uh, where is the HDD located? lol
Probably somewhere on the underside of the system. It doesn't have to have a big fat arrow pointing to it's location like the original 360

Maybe the flap we can see on this picture:
Old 2013-07-29, 18:40   Link #819
commitsudoku
Game Lover

The only thing i really want to know now Is more about gaiki tech. I already have it and a bunch of games pre ordered I am just curious. Oh and party size.

Last edited by commitsudoku; 2013-07-29 at 18:42. Reason: forgot that one
commitsudoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 20:16   Link #820
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Probably somewhere on the underside of the system. It doesn't have to have a big fat arrow pointing to it's location like the original 360

Maybe the flap we can see on this picture:
Apparently that's just where they put one of those copyright/trademark/etc information labels.