Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-09, 00:07   Link #1
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Chapter 399 Discussion [manga]

The spoilers are out:

I am just copying Oceanizer's extended summary from another forum.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-09, 12:57   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

WOOHOO! Awesome chapter! Can't wait for the total *** kicking that's coming.
Old 2006-02-09, 13:13   Link #3
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

Wait, an opposing force? Wasn't Posideon the counter to the super weapon Pluton? Did I miss something, or was Pluton the ancient civilisation's last defense after all? I thought it was a Pluton/Posideon, weapon/counter deal going on. I need to read the chapter, I'm REALLY confused now.
Old 2006-02-09, 15:46   Link #4
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

I think the opposing force is Pluton.

Just to say- the translation is from ArlongPark Forums-done by the perosn he mentiond.

Looks like a great chapter. I'm anxious to see who will fight who and to see just how powerful Franky is.
Old 2006-02-09, 17:09   Link #5
Eleutheria
旅行癖

I think it will be the painfully obvious matchups. There won't be any surprises.

Luffy fights panther guy with parrot.

Zoro the swordsman fights the samurai wannabe.

Sanji the kicker fights the guy with the long legs (Kaku?)

Women fight women.

Usopp and Chopper fight the leftovers, as usual.
Old 2006-02-09, 18:14   Link #6
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

lol. But those two do good at fighting leftovers. You put Ussop together with Chopper and you've got a kick*** team. ^_^ It should be interesting to see what him and Chopper do in the fight. If nothing else, I know that all of them are going to come out stronger, and Franky is definately at this point going to be the new Nakama. Nobody else could possibly be it. Oda had us guessing for a while, but now it's almost 100% guarenteed to be Franky. heh. Then again, Oda may pull a fast one on us and NOT have Franky join, but instead build them the next Pluton or something, then stay behind to become the next tom.

That's why I like Oda. He keeps you guessing.
Old 2006-02-09, 20:18   Link #7
yuchan

Damn, will oda just start the damn fights already! I figured was gonna start since 397. Each week i hurry up for the OP chapters only to get more stalling. But this chap was better then the last.
Old 2006-02-09, 23:43   Link #8
CrispyBC

The fights could only start on chapter 400 with some kickass color pages
Old 2006-02-10, 19:33   Link #9
marvelB

I KNEW that the fighting wouldn't yet. I knew it ever since Robin's flashback started...

Anyway, awesome chapter, anyway. Baskerville revealing his (their) true self(selves) was hilarious. And Franky burning the Pluton blueprints... damn. Unless, those were ALSO fake blueprints... And Luffy is STILL dense about Soge King's real identity (Franky even said that Usopp was standing right next to him! XD).

And considering how much Rocketman helped the crew during this storyline, I kinda have the feeling that it's gonna replace Merry as their new ship. That would be awesome. Still, we gotta wait until CP9's been whooped and the crew gets out of EL to know for sure...

Anyway, the fighting (or at least the matchups, anyway) should start for sure next chapter. I can't wait!
Old 2006-02-10, 19:48   Link #10
strategos

I think this is all a master plan of Ao kiji. He said that the World Goverment wanst paying to much attention to the Straw Hats. He said to luffy that you only targeted, at the moment, bad guys. And the buster call Spandam has is useless. He will probably will push the button and then everyone trying to stop to then see that it didnt worked. After this we will see the Don Flamingo Saga ^^.

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
Old 2006-02-10, 22:25   Link #11
d.Lughie

I really hope that Frankie would join the crew... his characteristics really suits the crew... hehhehe.. he is funny and is necessarily needed as the ''carpenter'' of the straw hats... even more.. he is also a cyborg and musician (he plays guitar).. ahh... i really hoped he'd be in the crew...

I think... 90% chances he will join the crew.. besides his role in this arc... Oda had also shown his flashback..... ^^
Old 2006-02-11, 03:17   Link #12
mightyme

I am starting to think rocketman will be the new ship for the strawhats... they will get it going without rails....

I think franky will join the crew, and I almost think his crew will too...

would be kind of crazy if luffy had a full on crew... each of the original crew-members would be like generals under him

I dunno though... I trust in Oda... if he goes the compelte opposite direction, it is probably for the best
Old 2006-02-11, 03:33   Link #13
Neppe

I dont think Franky could leave his "brothers" alone and join the strawhat crew, the whole Franky team will never join luffys team, they are going to be the new protectors of Water 7. I rather think that the rope guy will join Luffys crew, personal i like the rope guy more, i think he is cooler then Franky
Old 2006-02-11, 03:50   Link #14
marvelB

Pauly is cool, but he isn't developed enough to be a potential SH crew member... so far, the storyline's been showing strong hints of Franky joining, who is by far MUCH more developed than Pauly (I mean, he's even had a full-fledged flashback!). But Pauly joining isn't impossible either, however. But he just needs some more character development first...

And as far as the upcoming fights go, I'm not gonna get into some crazy speculations (well okay, maybe just one), but I do highly hope that Usopp fights one of the stronger CP9 guys (looks towards Kaku's direction). Considering all of the focus that Usopp had in this storyline, I feel that it would be a little bit of a shame for him to not prove his own strength against one of the stronger CP9 fighters instead of the "weaker" ones....

...That, and he should really kick Merry's killer's ass.
Old 2006-02-11, 05:48   Link #15
Lackadaisical

Even if the lesser members are weaker than the strongest members of CP9, the lesser members of CP9 would still likely be people nearing on a 100 million bounty if they were pirates.

This is pure speculation, of course, merely based on the assumption that they wouldn't let someone into CP9 who wasn't capable of dealing with the 30, 40, and 50 millions that seem to be most common in the Grand Line. That does leave the possibility that the weaker members of CP9 might only be capable of achievinga 60 or 70 million bounty as a pirate.

Either way given their relative strengths in the past, simply beating a CP9 would show that they advanced a lot.

I am looking forward to Nami gaining a bounty higher than Arlong.

As for who fights who, I'm not entirely sure Kaku will fight Sanji. In the past, Zoro has always fought the person that was considered to be stronger of the secondary opponents. Kaku has the advantage based on the power system that we was shown, has already dueled with Zoro and defeated Zoro which generally implies a rematch in the future, and has a prediction for sword or knives which also strengthens his chance of fighting Zoro

Of course, Jabura(Was that the second animal fruit user's name?) seems to be the CP9 second in line battle strengthwise since he was apparently the leader on the other mission CP9 was on. The only difference being now that Jabura(?) was surpassed in physical strength by Kaku. He still of course has the advantage of being a more experienced devil fruit user which might make him more powerful than Kaku. If he is then he is more likely to be Zoro final opponent. Although being a animal fruit user might make him more likely to be Sanji's opponent, if he possesses claws it stands to reason that those could qualify as Zoro's usual opponent's style.

It could go either way so I don't think it is quite as clear as suggested as to who will fight which opponent aside from Luffy and Luchi(It's been so long since there names were mentioned I have no clue if this is parrot boy's name).
Old 2006-02-11, 08:46   Link #16
yamato_D
Nazo no Tenshi

i still think that kaku has a stupid devil fruit ability. sounded like jyabura was picking on him about it a few chapters back. it might be like a monkey power or something (since it was like a banana).
i bet kaku and zoro will fight though. that whole rematch thing seems inevitable. a jyabura vs. sanji fight is also very probable. i can't wait to see franky kick some ass too though.
lucchi said that an animal fruit user gets stronger every time he fights, so would that apply to chopper too? i mean he can be a pretty serious fighter, but it'd be nice to see him get wicked strong like lucchi. and does that mean that lucchi can switch into several forms (human, beast, brain)?
Old 2006-02-11, 09:08   Link #17
yamato_D
Nazo no Tenshi

oh and the 'opposing force' was most likely the world government way back when they were called another name. remember that whole ohara arc and the geezer historian tell his theory on why the world gov't doesn't want people finding the lost history? well i'm not sure why franky would know all this, but that's just what i think. i'm pretty sure that pluton and poseidon weren't really linkd together in that way. both were probably just giant weapons.
Old 2006-02-11, 10:45   Link #18
d.Lughie

franky doesn't know the story... that story was told by robin rite.... and kaku has a devil fruit ability.. remember when the leader of the CP9.. what was his name.. spandam?? gave the secretary and kaku 2 devil fruits for them to be eaten... they should've eaten it....
speaking of devil fruit.. would luffy's crew like zoro, sanji, ussop or even nami.. would be a devil fruit user in the future.. i mean like.. they found a devil fruit on their journey... and one of them ate it... i think it would be cool....
Old 2006-02-11, 11:06   Link #19
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackadaisical
Even if the lesser members are weaker than the strongest members of CP9, the lesser members of CP9 would still likely be people nearing on a 100 million bounty if they were pirates.

This is pure speculation, of course, merely based on the assumption that they wouldn't let someone into CP9 who wasn't capable of dealing with the 30, 40, and 50 millions that seem to be most common in the Grand Line. That does leave the possibility that the weaker members of CP9 might only be capable of achievinga 60 or 70 million bounty as a pirate.
Well, Bellamy was worth 55m - and look how he fared against Luffy. Blueno gave Luffy a lot of trouble but only has 30% higher Douriki rating than CP9's weakest (remaining) member.

The bounty size in general is perhaps more a reflection of how badly the world government wants you dead and the damage you've done - ie doesn't directly relate to power rating. Robin got a massive bounty when she was just 8, not because of her combat power but because of her knowledge. If a pirate beats someone very famous, if the world government doesn't hear about it, the bounty wouldn't change. In Arlong's case, he was bribing the local Marines to look away, so probably had a much lower rating than his deeds merited.

In Luffy's case, he's pretty much only gotten a bounty because the world gov found out about him beating certain other pirates. Until recently, he hasn't done the sort of things that could give someone a bounty - ie stealing, assult, murder, damange to public property, etc. His assult on Enies Lobby alone will change things considerably.

Certainly when one pirate beats a higher ranked one (in terms of bounty) it's understandable for them to get a higher bounty - since it shows to be more of a threat. Blackbeard is trying to use precisely this to get himself a high rating - though finding high-ranking bounties seems hard.

Quote:
Either way given their relative strengths in the past, simply beating a CP9 would show that they advanced a lot.
Yes. You'd expect them to have the top-ranking fighters around for those directly under control of the world goverment - ie somewhat similar level to top ranking Marine Admirals or the Shichibukai (the two other main powers).

However, I'd expect the whole crew to get a "bonus" for attacking Enies Lobby itself, and being shown to be willing to take on the world government. Having Robin there makes things especially dangerous from the WG's point of view. Until recently, Robin has simply had the same bounty because of her knowledge - with Luffy and co behind her, and her perhaps more willing to actively take on the government, she'll become much more of a threat to them. So even if she doesn't beat any of the CP9 group, I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up with a bounty of 150m or whatever.

Quote:
I am looking forward to Nami gaining a bounty higher than Arlong.
Heh. Will be rather ironic. But for what they've done in attacking Enies lobby etc, I wouldn't be surprised if the WG give all the Strawhats a minimum bounty of 50m.
Old 2006-02-11, 16:44   Link #20
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, chopper, Ussop and Sanji have all been long overdue for bounties. Nami, well, she really hasn't up until now done anything to earn one. The other three however definately deserve one, but sadly haven't gotten one. I'd love to see Ussop get 50m, then have chopper get like 85m and have ussop freak out because of it.
Closed Thread