AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-08, 00:54   Link #161
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Oh, the irony. The girls seem happier and the fans get depressed as a result.

Spoiler:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 02:47   Link #162
Omniscient

I don't think this was nearly as bad as some people are making it sound. It probably doesn't live up to the hype that some people were perpetrating, but I thought this was still a decent episode (not great, not horrible).
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 07:25   Link #163
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I don't think this was nearly as bad as some people are making it sound. It probably doesn't live up to the hype that some people were perpetrating, but I thought this was still a decent episode (not great, not horrible).
I don't think "hype" is the proper term. Most of us had high expectations not because of the publicity but because of the quality of the first season.

Spoiler for nostalgia:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2008-01-08 at 09:48.
Old 2008-01-08, 10:09   Link #164
Deathbringer_37

Quote:
Most of us had high expectations not because of the publicity but because of the quality of the first season.
Yeah but since the moment i saw that they changed the animator studio from Madhouse to Artland which is clearly an inferior studio and that they changed the person responsible for the music, i was realistic from the beginning.

That said, some people here resume several aspects of this episode as "shit" which is simply not true.

Last edited by Deathbringer_37; 2008-01-08 at 11:45.
Deathbringer_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 11:27   Link #165
masama
use the fōrks ~

Since I have a really short memory, can someone refresh me on what happened by the end of season 1? I somehow have the impression it was already finished and really didn't expect anything else, except maybe an OVA.

Is this like a continuation or some kind of side stories?
masama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 14:57   Link #166
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by masama View Post
Since I have a really short memory, can someone refresh me on what happened by the end of season 1? I somehow have the impression it was already finished and really didn't expect anything else, except maybe an OVA.

Is this like a continuation or some kind of side stories?
Season 1 ends with the girls going out to see a meteor shower while angelica is at the hospital and she falls asleep/dies (up to the viewer to decide).

Season 1 was based on vol 1-2 of the manga which was centered around Henrietta and had no main plot
Il Teatrino is based on vol 3-5 where Triela takes center stage,the mafia characters are also more developed,they're not your random bad guys anymore.

That's the manga,we'll see what the anime does.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 15:01   Link #167
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Overall, this feels more like an action flick than it does a drama. It's more like Noir than Gunslinger Girl.
I agree with the first sentence, even though I just skimmed the raw but it is not like Noir at all, IMO. Noir is (as the name implies) a dark series. And has plenty of drama.

What's with the character designs - they have increased the moe-factor of the girls like 10 times (and while I didn't watch it all their behaviour seems to have become more "cute" too ), only forgetting the characters look quite stupid now. I actually cringed when I saw Henrietta, since I hadn't bothered to look for much info before the new season aired. And Jose looks like, what, 15 years younger than in season one?

Ah, well, enter some more dark mood and I will watch it regardless.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 16:16   Link #168
masama
use the fōrks ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Season 1 ends with the girls going out to see a meteor shower while angelica is at the hospital and she falls asleep/dies (up to the viewer to decide).

Season 1 was based on vol 1-2 of the manga which was centered around Henrietta and had no main plot
Il Teatrino is based on vol 3-5 where Triela takes center stage,the mafia characters are also more developed,they're not your random bad guys anymore.

That's the manga,we'll see what the anime does.
Thank you! I didn't want to risk checking it up on wiki since it's always plagued with spoilers, very bad spoilers.
masama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 18:22   Link #169
Same_Shark

I didn't think the animation was horrible, but I still prefer Season 1's animation.

The BGMs wasn't that great, but hopefully it gets better. I do like the OP & ED a lot. I do like The Light Before We Land, but I feel like it didn't really give the feeling of little girls killing people, though it did show the human side of the characters.

Not too impressed with some of the girls' seiyuu. Henrietta sounds too damn happy!
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 11:49   Link #170
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Mostly just copy/paste from what I commented on youtube but:

In regards to art, I'm fine with the new character designs- I've been reading the manga so the look seems just as 'right' to me as season 1's. If anyone got the shaft it was the P90. Anime characters are anime characters, but the first series had great scenery and object detail in a lot of the eps, especially (but not only!) on the guns. A brighter palette always makes stuff look less 'realistic' too...

I can deal with the art though, I thought it was still above average objectively, and part of the reason it suffers is that my memories of the first season focus on the great (that legendary first episode) and tend to leave out the less outstanding episodes. My problem is with the direction. The vespa chase really annoyed me; it went on way longer than it should have. I'd have preferred a shorter, tighter action scene followed by stills and talk to a long blah action sequence. I guess they wanted to get all the characters in on it though.

The Triela/shotgun/manhole scene (take that one out of context kids) was what I'm talking about. Attention to detail, only had to last a few seconds but looked damn cool.

Character changes aren't bothering me much yet. Either I'm really superficial or the manga is helping me make the jump here too. Biggest thing I noticed was good IMO- that Rico's creepy really benefits from her added cuteness. That smile when she saw the Padania runners was just awesome.
Old 2008-01-09, 13:05   Link #171
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
That smile when she saw the Padania runners was just awesome.
completely agree,that was my favorite part of the episode.
Old 2008-01-09, 15:52   Link #172
FireChick

Did anyone notice that Artland is the same company that produced Mushi-Shi?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 19:31   Link #173
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

But also Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku wo and Happiness and whatnot, which explains a lot more IMO.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 21:39   Link #174
rg4619

The choice of Artland (unimpressive track record for the most part) concerned me from the start. This seems to be a quick cash-in project for Marvelous.

Not that I'm surprised given the state of the market. We'll probably see a lot more of these with everyone aiming to tighten budgets and reduce risk.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 02:47   Link #175
Cal-Reflector

Just saw episode one. It was very interesting, especially observing all the changes and similarities:

Spoiler for Review and Analysis:
Old 2008-01-10, 17:00   Link #176
angel.shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I agree with the first sentence, even though I just skimmed the raw but it is not like Noir at all, IMO. Noir is (as the name implies) a dark series. And has plenty of drama.
actually noir is flashbacks, flashbacks and more flashbacks. flashbacks in the first episode is a really bad sign.

I swear I only keep it around for the music.

More on topic...

The animation of Il Teatrino is not bad; it's nowhere near the quality of season one, but it's not bad.

That said, it does not fit. At all. Even though the designs may be closer to the manga original, the first season established a style and a mood that people now identify with Gunslinger Girl. Deviating from that grim, "cold-life" formula that gave the first season such an intense, gritty feeling was a serious mistake.

The biggest draw to Gunslinger Girl for me was the insane amount of detail put into the weapons and the combat. The hyper-realistic firearms design has been replaced by inaccuracy (when Henrietta chambers her P90 in #1, the charging handle is on the wrong side) and generic reproductions.

The battle scenes themselves feel much more "jerky," more like most anime and less like Gunslinger Girl. GSG (and Black Lagoon) have always been two anime that would be really easy to forget are actually in fact anime. The smooth, high-frame-count combat sequences of the original series seem to be missing, replaced with (still good) lesser sequences.

I don't think Il Teatrino will be terrible, but I think the first season made such a high mark that any subsequent additions would be doomed from inception.
angel.shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 18:36   Link #177
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Based on the reactions so far, it looks like the best thing I could hope for is that the author would write enough material for a third season that would hopefully be produced by the people who did season 1.

I'm no emo but I enjoy depressing and thoughtful series like GsG. Other popular and often mentioned works such as AIR and Saikano seem to create misery for the sake of misery and only a few actually challenge the audience to actually think as they induce certain emotions.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Old 2008-01-10, 19:23   Link #178
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zeus View Post
Based on the reactions so far, it looks like the best thing I could hope for is that the author would write enough material for a third season that would hopefully be produced by the people who did season 1.
he already has,but i think i'd rather see another adaptation of vol 3-5 than an adaptation of vol 6-9.
Old 2008-01-10, 20:55   Link #179
dfens

angel.shade the P-90 charging handle is ambidextrous. Meaning it's a dual charging handle you can cock it from either side.
dfens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 05:11   Link #180
yuriblossom
ユリブロッソム

It's pretty obvious that they chose the wrong seiyuu.
塩野アンリ & 阿久津 加菜's blogs -

http://attsukana.jugem.jp/
http://yaplog.jp/hamukonana/
yuriblossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, loli, seinen