AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-01, 00:15   Link #2341
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
That wouldn' even need to get near a servant. The sonicbooms would unleash enough force to burst blood vessels within a huge radius. Not to mention the vacuum created behind it would rip people to pieces... I actually didn't sleep during physics
Old 2009-11-01, 00:20   Link #2342
rastilin

Quote:
That wouldn' even need to get near a servant. The sonicbooms would unleash enough force to burst blood vessels within a huge radius. Not to mention the vacuum created behind it would rip people to pieces... I actually didn't sleep during physics
Spoiler for Fate:
rastilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 02:10   Link #2343
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastilin View Post
Spoiler for Fate:
Yeah, pretty much.

Anyway, doesn't Beserker's attacks create a sonicboom as well, since he attacks faster than the speed of sound? I remember reading that somewhere.

Although when you mention that his shots went Mach 12+ in H/A, remember that Saber also apparently managed to hit Mach 12 or 14 I think with a command spell boost. Make of that what you will.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 08:10   Link #2344
rastilin

Quote:
Although when you mention that his shots went Mach 12+ in H/A, remember that Saber also apparently managed to hit Mach 12 or 14 I think with a command spell boost. Make of that what you will.
She also teleports. Although Saber flying is way more messed up, she's bigger, and much less aerodynamic than an arrow. The shockwave and forces involved would be nasty in a populated area.

Quote:
Anyway, doesn't Beserker's attacks create a sonicboom as well, since he attacks faster than the speed of sound? I remember reading that somewhere.
Yes, but so does the point of a whip. The far end of a weapon moves faster than the hilt.
rastilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 17:02   Link #2345
Fuuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypokstick View Post
it was mentioned in hollow ataraxia that his shots in this case hrunting was going at Mach 12+ or 4080m/s at sea level.
Thats damn fast, but what happend when Shirou blockd Hrunting with Rho Aias on that bridge in F/HA?

What I could figure out was that it seemd like Hrunting was releasing something that damage's area around it?
When you saw the bridge from below, the red light from middle of bridge was getting brighter and brighter, as if it was destroying the bridge even when Hrunting was blocked by Shirou.
Or was that the after effect of Hrunting?
Fuuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 17:11   Link #2346
Flinch
Onii-chan~

At excess of Mach 12, the kinetic force colliding with Rho Aias would be so high that even that shield wouldn't matter. What would happen is the shield and whoever was behind would be blown through the bridge. I hate when stuff like this completely forgets the physics behind EVERYTHING. What would actually be deadlier would be to deliberately miss. Anything traveling at Mach 12 would literally be pushing air out of its way, creating a vacuum behind it. In short, it will suck up everything behind it. and a few seconds later, a deafening sonic boom will destroy them (remember it's 12 times the speed of sound).

Yay for physics... my friends would kill me if they heard me say that... even thought they cheated off the guy who guessed on every test and somehow passed each one.
Old 2009-11-04, 19:34   Link #2347
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
At excess of Mach 12, the kinetic force colliding with Rho Aias would be so high that even that shield wouldn't matter. What would happen is the shield and whoever was behind would be blown through the bridge.
Um... why? It's a magic shield blocking a magic arrow. And even getting into the physics of it, why wouldn't the shield matter anymore? Yes, a sword that was traveling at Mach 12 would have an enormous kinetic energy, but there's not enough information about the shield to judge that information on. There's no information on how much kinetic force the shield can take or how much force it takes to push the shield back an inch. Talking about physics, you wonder how the an arrow, or even a sword arrow, can even reach mach 12, considering it would probably break due to air friction.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-11-04, 21:25   Link #2348
Flinch
Onii-chan~

The shield could taking it (under this assumption), but could the bridge withstand that force? It wouldn't, that's how it would push it back.
Old 2009-11-04, 22:12   Link #2349
orangejuicetang

The bridge would probably collapse, considering the amount of energy being moved around here. But how would the bridge not being able to take the force push the shield back? The shield, going by my memory of the scene in UBW where archer blocks the lance, doesn't seemed to be rooted to the ground, but rather projected a little bit further away from his hand, and was floating a few feet of the ground. If this actually is the case, and the shield is floating, then shockwaves from the bridge shouldn't affect the placement of the shield.

Old 2009-11-05, 07:28   Link #2350
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Hrunting is magical, so withstanding the force is naturally yes...especially with such a high grade thing like a NP. And Rho Aias actually a miniature boundary field for protection against missiles. Hrunting is not even B+ like Lancer's Gae Bolg throw, but less. It means there's no way it can break throug it except if it has a special ability regarding it whihc it doesn't possess. And because it's a protective boundary field it's not acting as a shield, but more like a protective barrier. The center of focus is in the front , but it also protects the user everywhere around.
But back to the bridge. The bridge should collide from the force because a projectile flying with such an extreme speed is bound to drag quite an amount of air with it and as the force compressing the air(speed of projectile) vanishes it explodes like a bomb. Not ot mention the prana explosion caused by the destroyed NP.
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 11:31   Link #2351
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Even if you did levitate from Rho Aias, as soon as it's gone, you fall into the water. The most annoying subject, but most fun to point out.
Old 2009-11-05, 17:02   Link #2352
frenze12

Here is a line to think about; are you actually expecting that in a story that has magic and anciënt/future heroes fighting each other for something fictional like the grail, to even bother making sence in how someone should react if he got hit with a 13-14 mach arrow?
Fantasy >>>> reality
frenze12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 17:53   Link #2353
orangejuicetang

This actually reminds me of the conversation on Toumu blocking a railgun in the Tu aru no w/e thread. But anyway, first, it's always kind of interesting to apply real life physics to some of the things in a fantasy environment. Next, because Nasu sometimes remembers about physics and includes it in his work, like Archer's arrow creating a sonic boom and knocking down Caster even though it missed, and forgets it every other time, as Saber accelerates to Mach 12 in the span of a few seconds, which should probably set her on fire.

Old 2009-11-06, 01:21   Link #2354
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Set on fire? How about turn her into nothing?
Old 2009-11-06, 01:58   Link #2355
orangejuicetang

Let's do some calculations. The speed of sound is around 343 m/s at 20 C. Thus, mach 12 will be 4116 m/s. Saber is apparently 43 kg. At mach 12, she would have a momentum of 176,988 N*S. That's approximately the same momentum as a 2004 Ford F350 truck moving at around 161 miles per hour. Her kinetic energy would be 6.73 *10^11 Joules. To put that in context, that's pretty close to the energy needed for an Atlas Rocket to take off 9*10^11, and more energy than the average lightning bolt, 1.5×10^9 J, and the energy in a ton of oil 4.19×10^10. The force of air resistance on her, considering that a human body is not the most aerodynamic shape, would be 8,621,649,362N. That is the force pushing against her. It would be about a 878,863,340 kg object being dropped onto some random object. Or around 1,937,562,000 lbs. To put things in perspective, a space shuttle weighs 2,029,203 KG. So imagine the force on the ground when an object that weights about 433 space shuttles. That should be around the same amount of force the air is pushing against Saber. Somebody feel free to check my math/reasoning. But going by these numbers, yeah, it's not looking to good for Saber.

Old 2009-11-06, 04:09   Link #2356
frenze12

Yea, but isn't there another line that said that servants could not even be hurt by a nuclear blast. So moving at mach 12 should be a walk in the park compared to this.
frenze12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 10:33   Link #2357
Flinch
Onii-chan~

As long as they are in the atmosphere, there will be friction. That is one of the first things you learn. Napalm, for instance, can be made so flammable, that it can ignite by friction with the air. A vacuum is a frictionless environment, so you could reach such speeds with ease.

Another interesting fact would to see how much energy it would require to travel at mach 12 for Saber. Additionally, is it on a flat plane, or vertical?
Old 2009-11-06, 12:43   Link #2358
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

And we obviusly forget a big factor. She used the full wind blast of her Invisible Air. It's power like a tornado and I guess it wasn't only to propel herself, but to create better enviroment for the speeding.(by may creating vacuum or redirecting the air around her). Perhaps I didn't play with HA, so this is only a speculation.
Old 2009-11-06, 12:51   Link #2359
orangejuicetang

I think it was a command spell boost.

Old 2009-11-06, 14:29   Link #2360
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

That too, and the command spells can make Servant manage to do near-impossible things. I bet if not the Invisible Air then the Command Spell made her accomplish that.