AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-06-22, 15:17   Link #241
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Chapter 7, the final chapter is up: http://anonscanlations.blogspot.com/...-ch-7-end.html

Madoka manages to find Sayaka and Hitomi, and they all decide they will find Homura and try to help her.

Homura wants to ask Oriko a question, but Oriko still doesn't let up, and continues to fight the girls, her soul gem at her limits. Oriko knows that Madoka will come here, so she's going to keep fighting and try to exhaust Homura's magic as well. Kyouko then throws a spear at Oriko, but as she dodged the spear, the spear starts heading towards Kirika's corpse.

Another flashback of Oriko's past. Oriko's father hanged himself. Oriko didn't know what was the purpose of her life anymore, so she wished to learn the meaning of her life.

Oriko bodyblocks Kirika, taking the spear, then Homura flash steps in front of Oriko with a gun pointed at her soulgem. Homura asks Oriko one more question before she shoots. "Why did you start this battle?" "To protect my world."

As she dies, Oriko has one last vision. She sees that Homura will fail to protect this world, and is frustrated she couldn't do anything. Suddenly, she sees a big piece of shard (apparently that is part of Witch!Kirika) fall from the roof, and she channels the last of her magic to shoot the shard. The shard misses all the girls, kills Kyubey, and goes through a wall.

The battle is over, Oriko and Kirika are dead. It looks like Homura finally found the end to her long journey. The witch barrier disappears, and just as Homura was about to tell everyone something, they hear a scream, and discover that Oriko shot Madoka with the shard, instantly killing her. Homura collapses from shock...and once again repeats the loop.

The last few pages show Oriko and Kirika in whats presumably the afterlife. Despite saving the world, Oriko knows she killed a lot of people in the process, and is too overwhelmed by that burden. Kirika tells her she will share that burden with her, and says that they should go together.

The end.
Old 2011-06-22, 20:50   Link #242
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
Chapter 7, the final chapter is up: http://anonscanlations.blogspot.com/...-ch-7-end.html

Madoka manages to find Sayaka and Hitomi, and they all decide they will find Homura and try to help her.

Homura wants to ask Oriko a question, but Oriko still doesn't let up, and continues to fight the girls, her soul gem at her limits. Oriko knows that Madoka will come here, so she's going to keep fighting and try to exhaust Homura's magic as well. Kyouko then throws a spear at Oriko, but as she dodged the spear, the spear starts heading towards Kirika's corpse.

Another flashback of Oriko's past. Oriko's father hanged himself. Oriko didn't know what was the purpose of her life anymore, so she wished to learn the meaning of her life.

Oriko bodyblocks Kirika, taking the spear, then Homura flash steps in front of Oriko with a gun pointed at her soulgem. Homura asks Oriko one more question before she shoots. "Why did you start this battle?" "To protect my world."

As she dies, Oriko has one last vision. She sees that Homura will fail to protect this world, and is frustrated she couldn't do anything. Suddenly, she sees a big piece of shard (apparently that is part of Witch!Kirika) fall from the roof, and she channels the last of her magic to shoot the shard. The shard misses all the girls, kills Kyubey, and goes through a wall.

The battle is over, Oriko and Kirika are dead. It looks like Homura finally found the end to her long journey. The witch barrier disappears, and just as Homura was about to tell everyone something, they hear a scream, and discover that Oriko shot Madoka with the shard, instantly killing her. Homura collapses from shock...and once again repeats the loop.

The last few pages show Oriko and Kirika in whats presumably the afterlife. Despite saving the world, Oriko knows she killed a lot of people in the process, and is too overwhelmed by that burden. Kirika tells her she will share that burden with her, and says that they should go together.

The end.
Now that brings us to the next question:what timeline is this? She shot kyubey first, then at Madoka
OOOOOOOORIIIIIIKOOOOOOOOOO
just cannot keep that sentence(from a certain person in SRW Z2)
For that question i asked, i got a feeling it happened in timeline 3.5. In which total it has 6 timelines
(3.5 is trying to say it is timeline 4 but timeline 4 is timeline 5 and timeline 5 is timeline 6)

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2011-06-22 at 21:03.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 20:51   Link #243
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
Now that brings us to the next question:what timeline is this?
Most likely a timeline between TL4 and TL5.
Old 2011-06-22, 20:59   Link #244
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
Most likely a timeline between TL4 and TL5.
So it's TL 4.5?
Old 2011-06-22, 21:16   Link #245
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
So it's TL 4.5?
Maybe. It can be either 3.5 or 4.5. by far episode 10 of Madoka magica just teleport from 4 to 5.Maybe we might get an answer to this if this comes out as an OVA. So in the end, it never explained the existence of WalpurgisNacht.
In the nutshell,
Oriko mission:success
Homura's mission:fail

Because of what kyubey said in episode 11,cant Homura get out of this loop?(minus off the last episode because the loop stopped)
Old 2011-06-23, 00:20   Link #246
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Sounds like Oriko persisted in trying to prevent Madoka from destroying the world until she got the point.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 01:30   Link #247
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Spoiler for Chapter 7:

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-06-23 at 07:46.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 02:54   Link #248
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Damn Oriko, S2 of Madoka Magica should be Oriko being the final boss, with Oriko being somewhat knowledgeable about the old system and would want it back for some fundamentalist reason.

Long story short: Oriko is a great final-boss character
Old 2011-06-23, 07:26   Link #249
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
(kirika not attacking oriko as a witch
might be some fancy explanation about "witch!Kirika's nature is protection, blablabla". My guess is grimmer, though.
The witch is attacked by all the magical girls except Oriko.
The witch attacks all the magical girls except Oriko.
Mere target priority?

Quote:
and homura's timestopping not timestopping... i mean come on so what if you can see what's gonna happen if you can't move
Homura's timestopping is obviously intentional unlike Kirika's powers that work on their own. And if you can predict the intention, you can interrupt whatever mental command is to be issued, by keeping the opponent busy. If Homura froze time at once when she entered the scene, she might have had a bigger chance... ah wait, there was also a barrier. Nice move, Urobuchi.

Quote:
Chapter 7 was a bit of a downer. Just as Homura thought there was a solution after all.
We knew it, this being a past timeline and all. The question was just how it was going to end, and I really didn't expect this outcome...

Quote:
Sounds like Oriko persisted in trying to prevent Madoka from destroying the world until she got the point.
Don't brick me, but that DOES sound like a plausible meaning of life... to an extent.
Rest in peace, Oriko, you silly, machiavellian hero. Isn't it ironic how a human antagonist orchestrating serial murders in this universe evokes more compassion in people than a well-meaning cute alien or a hardly involved violinist? But it's true. Maybe because unlike the girls in that timeline, we readers know it wasn't going to end well for Madoka anyway. Or maybe because Oriko is a girl scarred and changed by her past as much as... well, as much as pretty much every other Puella Magi out there, it seems.

For the positive side:
- most of the main cast survive.
- I can't help feeling proud of Sayaka. Fighting her way out of a critical situation seems to be her preferred MO regardless of contracting. If not for inability to overcome her inner crisis in thetimelines where she was involved, she'd have actually made a brilliant Puella Magi with time.
- oh, and... Oriko killed Kyuubey. Ineffective but SO satisfying.

Quote:
Homu-chan would have had some allies in fighting Walpurgis Night in this timeline. But unfortunately, she has to reset..
As long as Madoka's not concerned, I somehow doubt Homura gives the slightest damn about WN anymore.

Quote:
with Oriko being somewhat knowledgeable about the old system and would want it back for some fundamentalist reason.
Excuse me, but... LOLWUT? Oriko may go far overboard with her methods and she's clearly desperate... but she doesn't seem insane to me. But I, too, considered an idea of her retaining the memories of past timelines, and I find the idea interesting. I really wish we knew the three new girls' fate in the final timeline (shoo, shoo, Kyuubey, Im talking "wish" figuratively).
Btw, regardless of the timeline's position and keeping to the number of timelines we were really shown, we might indeed want to mark the final timeline as TL7 and the Godoka anime timeline as TL6 (yeah, I tend to be a Captain Obvious sometimes ).

In short, this is a memorable midquel and an interesting file in the Puella Magi Madoka Magica case. But it doesn't quench my thirst for a glimpse at the sequel. Not that I don't want other spin-offs/flashbacks/etc. Seriously, I hope Urobuchi will spend a bit more time and effort on this franchise, there's still a lot to tell.

Last edited by Snork; 2011-06-23 at 07:37.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 08:13   Link #250
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
Damn Oriko, S2 of Madoka Magica should be Oriko being the final boss, with Oriko being somewhat knowledgeable about the old system and would want it back for some fundamentalist reason.
Oriko isn't really as powerful as WN, so she probably qualifies as final antagonist only in a manga or OVA. 1 vs 1 against another puella magi she's certainly hard to deal with, but if a lot of people fight her at the same time - well, we saw what happen in Chapter 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
As long as Madoka's not concerned, I somehow doubt Homura gives the slightest damn about WN anymore.
If I remember correctly, in the anime Homura said something like "thousands would fall victim to her if she (Walpurgis Night) materializes even once". I think that shows that Homura is concerned about civilian lives at least. Or even if she only cared about Madoka, letting WN destroy the city could leave Madoka homeless or worse..

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-06-23 at 08:35.
Old 2011-06-23, 08:20   Link #251
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post

Long story short: Oriko is a great final-boss character
throw her in
Spoiler for off topic:
as final boss then?
Old 2011-06-23, 09:13   Link #252
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
- ...that ws a REALLY nasty pun, y'know...?
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 10:21   Link #253
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
I see what you did there.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-23, 11:12   Link #254
Used Can

I'm rather disappointed, considering the three new girls had a lot of potential, yet with a 2-vol long manga, you can barely flesh them out.

Oriko was a very interesting character. While she's definitely portrayed as the antagonist, she's hardly villainous, since she is concerned about the fate of the world, and unlike Madoka who got a wish to fix the biggest issues, Oriko had to do it the hard way. So, I'm pleased with her and the other two.

I'd really like if, somehow, Magica Quartet manages to give these 3 new girls more exposure. I think it'd be a huge waste if they simply go forgotten.
Old 2011-06-23, 12:39   Link #255
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
That's why I don't like the way Oriko ended. They added new characters that for some unfathomable reason won't show up even if they could.
Tis the difficulty with retroactive writing no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Chapter 7 was a bit of a downer. Just as Homura thought there was a solution after all. She gets soul crushed in every timeline huh?
What downer?

There was no way else it vould have ended really. The only solution to the core problem here would be when Madoka finally rewrites the system in the final timeline.

Killing Oriko and Kirika, what does that achieve other than another two more, tragic, wasted deaths?

In the long run it would be meaningless as Kriemhild Gretchen would still have to be born in the end seeing Homura cannot possibly protect Madoka forever even if she did take down the Walpurgis.
Old 2011-06-23, 13:18   Link #256
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
I'm rather disappointed, considering the three new girls had a lot of potential, yet with a 2-vol long manga, you can barely flesh them out.
That. With all my praise for the manga, the length is the only solid complain. Seeing as it was delayed anyway, they could have gone as far as to redraw and expand it. Even if they doubted the series' popularity at the start, by the time of the manga's delay it was already an established hit. All the more reasons to hope for an OVA, since many details will inevitably be expanded in the script.
Old 2011-06-23, 15:31   Link #257
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
That. With all my praise for the manga, the length is the only solid complaint. Seeing as it was delayed anyway, they could have gone as far as to redraw and expand it. Even if they doubted the series' popularity at the start, by the time of the manga's delay it was already an established hit.
I agree all the time they had and obvious money maker this series was turning out to be you'd think they'd want to cash in on the hype at least. Oh well we still have fan fiction...oh the possibilities...
Old 2011-06-23, 20:32   Link #258
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Oriko was a very interesting character. While she's definitely portrayed as the antagonist, she's hardly villainous, since she is concerned about the fate of the world, and unlike Madoka who got a wish to fix the biggest issues, Oriko had to do it the hard way. So, I'm pleased with her and the other two.
Madoka is the main hereoine of the series, so she gets to solve the big problem.

But it's nice to see that there are characters in other timeline (besides Homura) who are aware of the truth behind Kyubey's magical girl system. If Oriko is really evil, before going after Madoka she could have used her power to get revenge on the people at her school who mocked her. In the end all she wanted was to protect her world.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-06-23 at 22:59.
Old 2011-06-24, 02:18   Link #259
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I agree all the time they had and obvious money maker this series was turning out to be you'd think they'd want to cash in on the hype at least. Oh well we still have fan fiction...oh the possibilities...
They're probably assessing future Madoka projects (and you know there will be some) with more thought. The three manga spinoffs felt rushed because they most likely were rushed, to cash in quick in case the anime didn't sell as well as expected/hoped for. I fully expect that Kazumi will be given more attention in light of things due to its slower release schedule (monthly).

On the topic of Oriko itself....well, Madoka dying was inevitable. Actually, mission accomplished for Oriko. Despite Homura's best intentions Oriko knew the truth, that Madoka would be contracted and she would turn into Gretchen no matter what. Kyubey would find Madoka, it was just a matter of time.

The question in my mind is Yuma. Did anyone else think it was odd that she was so underplayed? Kyubey practically salivated over her (until he caught wind of Madoka), and she's not only powerful but she snapped the other girls out of their shock/despair like it was nothing.

Outside of that, the only other irregularity was Kirika. She now holds the record for "girl with the longest time between busted Soul Gem and turning into a Witch". Sorry Sayaka and Madoka. I guess it's now canon that a Soul Gem that has turned black doesn't mean immediate Witch, for some girls. Could be plot armor I guess.

What I take from Oriko is that there exists three timelines that Homura never found:

1. A timeline where Madoka never contracts, ever, but doesn't die.
2. A timeline where she does, and doesn't die, become a Witch, or a Goddess.
3. A timeline where she does, becomes a Goddess, and returns.

We've seen the other three variations now:

1. She never contracts, and dies anyway.
2. She contracts and dies or becomes a Witch.
3. She contracts, becomes a Goddess, and ceases to exist to any mortal but Homura.

We've also never seen a timeline where bringing girls back from being a Witch was actually possible.

So outside of various stories of Homura failing, such as this one, and slice of life alternatives, there's still plenty of story telling left in the Madoka universe, not including stuff not directly related such as Kazumi.
Old 2011-06-24, 07:50   Link #260
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
The question in my mind is Yuma. Did anyone else think it was odd that she was so underplayed? Kyubey practically salivated over her (until he caught wind of Madoka), and she's not only powerful but she snapped the other girls out of their shock/despair like it was nothing.
Until Vol 2 came out, I still had suspicions that she might be related to WN somehow.
Yuma is apparently an efficient cleric and a capable Puella Magi (although I've yet to figure out WTQB she fights with ). Her power may be explained by the amount of grief she carries, and we know this amount is high.
I consider her speech in ch 6 as her main highlight in the manga. That's a Puella Magi to handle the truth for you. If only she was around in TL6, during Sayaka's arc...