AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Monogatari Series Second Season - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 17 38.64%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 43.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 15.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.27%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-12-01, 10:59   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I would visit Nadeko's shrine if you know what I mean. Somehow she looks cuter than ever as a god. It's probably because she can finally let loose and be herself. The mix of innocence and craziness is wonderful, she makes death threats sound adorable. 10/10 goddess, would worship.

That said, Kaiki was still the star of the episode. This man has so much swag, as the youngins would say. I'm loving his new detective look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
I want a Detective Kaiki TV show. "Fake detective, real crimes!"
It will be a smash hit.
FUND IT
Old 2013-12-01, 12:34   Link #22
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

This episode really hammered in the fact that it was Nadeko's parents who forced the whole "being cute" thing into her. Really makes you think if her father is trying to "train" her into something if you catch my drift....

Also with this it means the whole "problematic parents" pie is complete. Every main girl has parents that are more or less the source of their problem.

Hitagi=Mom tried to have her raped and thus making Hitagi cuts her emotions away
Mayoi=Father wouldn't let her see her mother with leads to her getting ran over
Suruga=Mother entrusts her with a devil's hand which is used to injure people
Nadeko=Parents force the image of cuteness into her which in turn causes her to resent her own self
Tsubasa=Parents doesn't see her as a daughter
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 12:38   Link #23
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Its official, even Kaiki thinks Araragi as a pedophilic criminal. It was sad to see Nadeko broken like that though.
Old 2013-12-01, 13:32   Link #24
Diveman

damn I would seriously watch a 52 episode anime of Kaiki just going around talking and tricking people.
Diveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 13:42   Link #25
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
This episode really hammered in the fact that it was Nadeko's parents who forced the whole "being cute" thing into her. Really makes you think if her father is trying to "train" her into something if you catch my drift....

Also with this it means the whole "problematic parents" pie is complete. Every main girl has parents that are more or less the source of their problem.

Hitagi=Mom tried to have her raped and thus making Hitagi cuts her emotions away
Mayoi=Father wouldn't let her see her mother with leads to her getting ran over
Suruga=Mother entrusts her with a devil's hand which is used to injure people
Nadeko=Parents force the image of cuteness into her which in turn causes her to resent her own self
Tsubasa=Parents doesn't see her as a daughter
Well there was also Tsubasa's real mother hanging herself in front of her, but yeah, you are pretty much right. Kaiki really hit the nail on the head when he observed that Nadeko reacted positively to being called creepy. Hmm, oddly enough, when Hitagi gave her the verbal smackdown, she smiled there too.

I tell you, you learn something new from observations all the time with this show. It really pays to go back and analyze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
They are cooler, but I think that partly it is because they are removed from the spotlight. When you are the main character you need your dose of flaws and internal conflicts to make the story work, and then you are less cool.

Eventually you could still do a story like that, but it requires more creativity. You need a reason why people who are exceptional at what they do can't solve the matter immediately.
True, although if you made them novices back in the day, they would immediately be palatable as MCs, because then you could show growth, so it would be a matter of just tracing back how they developed into what they are and go from there.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 14:26   Link #26
HandofFate

Kaiki x Nadeko the best.
Old 2013-12-01, 14:29   Link #27
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Kaiki, master of disguise

Great episode. Funny to realize how it only took Nadeko turning into a god with an agenda full of murder to finally act like a "normal" girl.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 15:08   Link #28
00Coyote

There are 2 things I took away from this episode.

1: The whole Mongatari series has revealed that the price of a middle school girl is exactly 10,000 yen.

2: SHAFT needs to work on their animation of whales/sharks.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 16:03   Link #29
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
Great episode. Funny to realize how it only took Nadeko turning into a god with an agenda full of murder to finally act like a "normal" girl.
I don't think Nadeko has ever been "normal", no matter how you define the term but she sure cheered up.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 17:10   Link #30
shinyaNakagawa
Lifeless shut-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
There are 2 things I took away from this episode.

1: The whole Mongatari series has revealed that the price of a middle school girl is exactly 10,000 yen.

2: SHAFT needs to work on their animation of whales/sharks.
1. You interpret the 10, 000 yen as the price of a middle school girl, well, you misinterpreted the whole situation.

2. That is just SHAFT's style. Why would they change their unique style after decades of creating the image?
shinyaNakagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 17:31   Link #31
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyaNakagawa View Post
1. You interpret the 10, 000 yen as the price of a middle school girl, well, you misinterpreted the whole situation.
Not as much as you misinterpreted the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
I don't think Nadeko has ever been "normal", no matter how you define the term but she sure cheered up.
True enough! But seeing her acting all cheerful sure brings her closer to the mental picture of a girl her age...

...who isn't batshit insane.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 17:50   Link #32
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
Not as much as you misinterpreted the post
Well, with < 2000 yen allowance, Kaiki her only fan and two dozen creepy snakes on her head, it's no surprise that she would be so cheap
Old 2013-12-01, 19:56   Link #33
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:

2. That is just SHAFT's style. Why would they change their unique style after decades of creating the image?
Calm down you really need to learn to tell when something is a joke.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 01:40   Link #34
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I would visit Nadeko's shrine if you know what I mean. Somehow she looks cuter than ever as a god. It's probably because she can finally let loose and be herself. The mix of innocence and craziness is wonderful, she makes death threats sound adorable. 10/10 goddess, would worship.
Agreed. The way she honestly has nothing tying her down was interesting.

Quote:
That said, Kaiki was still the star of the episode. This man has so much swag, as the youngins would say. I'm loving his new detective look.
Calling it a detective look is kind of ironic, isn't it?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 07:45   Link #35
ndqanh_vn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post

Calling it a detective look is kind of ironic, isn't it?

I definitely gonna watch it: "Kaiki: The Fake Detective."

I have been waiting for this arc since the beginning of the season.

And for some reason, Medusa Nadeko looks even cuter than normal Nadeko, snakes or not.

There's something that was lifted inside her somehow.
ndqanh_vn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 16:16   Link #36
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

Great episode, Kaiki is so damn stylish. He is also quite the extremely entertaining guy in the MC role. Didn't know how I felt about it at all last week, but man I'm loving what he's doing for this arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Kaiki may be the first 'worshiper/believer' but you would obviously be the most devoted one if you could go visit her shrine (hell would you ever leave?)
Old 2013-12-02, 17:52   Link #37
CptChaos

Wow that episode. Loved the BGM especially during the chat with Nadeko. I didn't really like Kaiki in Nise, but he's really great here. And that gotta be one of the cutest performances of HanaKana I've ever heard.
CptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 21:06   Link #38
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Holy shit, this arc is absolute gold so far. The episodes feel like they're over in a heartbeat. Everything I love about Monogatari.

I just watched Nisemonogatari's first episode again a few weeks ago, so as soon as Kaiki talked his way into Nadeko's room, I just started mentally chanting "closet, closet, closet, closet!!" No dice though, I guess. What an eerie family.

And what an amazing "Ah-ha!" moment when Nadeko reacted to being called creepy. I almost wish Kaiki hadn't called so much attention to it, because it was such a defining character moment for her, and I really didn't feel like he needed to explain by that point why she'd react with such liberated bliss to being told that she wasn't cute.

Finally, I appreciate how everyone who gains even the most minor and tangential insight into Araragi's exploits invariably muses that he sounds like some kind of pedophile
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 21:18   Link #39
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
Quote:
Finally, I appreciate how everyone who gains even the most minor and tangential insight into Araragi's exploits invariably muses that he sounds like some kind of pedophile
Makes you think about how Kaiki would feel if he knew Kanbaru was just as excited watching Nadeko topless in bloomers as Araragi was.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 21:19   Link #40
silvercover
Romance Expert

gonna copy my post from another site:
besides kaiki showing himself to be awesome, you know this episode also helped me understand nadeko a lot more.

it seems like the reason she wants to kill araragi is not so much because she’s jealous of hitagi and other girls but its more like a big step for her to fully break free from her old life.
notice how this episode showed that nadeko doesnt like being called cute, that being called terrifying is a compliment now? and also when questioned about returning back to being a human, she refuses even if araragi is her boyfriend?

compare and contrast to tsubasa’s situation, where her parents were very cold and harsh. meanwhile nadeko’s were sweet and nice, maybe TOO sweet and nice. then notice how she understands how her looks are what’s making people like her, rather than her personality for what it is.

its clear to me that she’s not really that twisted now. what she wants is a completely new and different lifestyle. killing araragi is somewhat necessary for that, since she still loves him. to be completely free from all responsibilities.

she’s not a walking timebomb, as some people are saying. she’s only going to kill araragi and company since they’re the ones who’re aware of her as well as her remaining ties to her humanity. just as noted in this ep, she seems to really be taking this whole god thing seriously and doesnt mean any harm to the general population.
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote