AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-01-14, 17:58   Link #21
Zalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
people rage (legitimately) because the shows are actually 16:9 but get pan&scanned down to 4:3 (which means you are actually missing a significant part of the picture), not because of the aspect ratio in itself
I can understand raging over artificially cropped video that should be 16:9, which is what Freezing is. But I do see more and more complaints about older natively-4:3 content as well.

When it comes down to it, I don't see much difference between watching 16:9 letterboxed on a 4:3 screen and 4:3 pillarboxed on a 16:9 screen. Same black bars, just different places.And I do have experience with the latter via portable DVD players. I guess haters gonna hate, so I'll just have to hope that companies/encoders don't cater to them by stretching or cropping 4:3 content. As often happens with US movies and TV these days
Zalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 18:18   Link #22
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
either you're pretty dumb or the people who were raging were even dumber

people rage (legitimately) because the shows are actually 16:9 but get pan&scanned down to 4:3 (which means you are actually missing a significant part of the picture), not because of the aspect ratio in itself
no, its not dumb. well maybe it is, but its not smth to be ashamed of. i couldn't get used to WS anime on my 4;3 monitor for some time - the black bars distracted me. but now, when i rewatch old 4;3 anime i think - "where are my black bars?!"
PS. most ppl are afraid of death. thats dumb. doesn't mean u should go telling that to everyone u meet.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 17:35   Link #23
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
But I do see more and more complaints about older natively-4:3 content as well.

Seriously?

I'm left without words then,I mean,does that mean they'd preffer the image cropped and miss part of the image?
Old 2011-01-15, 18:46   Link #24
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
People rage about the stupidest thing, and the "black bars rage" is so powerful (but fed by manufacturers for their own purposes) that 16:9 has replaced 8:5, 5:4 and 4:3 as the most common computer display aspect ratio!

This is absolutely awful. Nowadays, the only reliable way to get something with a lot of vertical pixels is to buy an expensive professional LCD. I don't particularly need an expensive IPS monitor designed for photo-professionals. As a writer, an engineering student and an amateur software developer, I just need something that can display a lot of text without a lot of scrolling.

What's worse than the glut of 16:9 1920x1080 desktop LCDs?

The fact that every 16" or smaller laptop under $1500 seems to have 1366x768 displays. This is the worst resolution ever. It is absolutely horrible for anything except gaming on low-end mobile GPUs, but even so I'd rather just interpolate than be stuck with such a LOW native resolution!

So yeah. The "black bar rage" has allowed LCD manufacturers to get lazy, cut costs and kick profits into overdrive. Longer, thinner LCD panels mean higher yields.

I hope I can still find a 1920x1200 LCD by the time I finish building this desktop!
Old 2011-01-15, 20:02   Link #25
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
As a writer, an engineering student and an amateur software developer, I just need something that can display a lot of text without a lot of scrolling.
Most (good) displays allow you to rotate them to 1080x1920 for exactly this reason. May pay a small premium ($250 instead of $200) for one that can be mounted vertically, but if it's that much of a problem to you, the option is there.

I personally have a 1920x1200 IPS display since I do graphical work, but I have two 1080 TVs that are lovely for media; and I understand the frustration at the lesser vertical realestate if I use them as a monitor. But I just don't bother with that anymore.

Anyway, for writing/programming etc rotating displays for 1920 vertical px is a fine option.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 23:32   Link #26
tehmuffinmon
Seleção

I had a SDTV for quite some time while everyone else went and got HDTVs, so quite often I was more annoyed by how everything was 16:9. Playing the ps3, sometimes I'd come across games that had a good chunk of the image cut off from the screen that I simply couldn't fix. Most games didn't have this problem, but the resolution simply looked fuzzy and I used to wish there was more love for SD. After getting a 42" 1080p TV, though, I now expect things to be 16:9 and HD, haha. I have to admit, black bars do bug me. For one thing, if you were too watch anime or whatever all the time on your HDTV and it was all in 4:3, there's a chance that you could get burn-in from the constant black bars. It would take a long time, but still. I always stretch video content to fill the whole screen, because otherwise, it bugs me. : /
tehmuffinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 00:46   Link #27
Random32
Also a Lolicon

@syn
rotate your display vertical, it's useful

I run 3 displays in portrait mode with Eyefinity for the reason of more vertical pixels. Pure pwnage.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 15:48   Link #28
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I have a laptop, it doesn't bend like that!

@tehmuffinmon: LCDs don't suffer burn-in (plasma and AMOLED does, though, however black wouldn't "burn-in" on OLED, because a black pixel means "off").

@Ichihara Asako: HDTVs are fine, they can be 16:9, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is unless I go out and spend $500+ on a monitor, I'm not likely to get anything but a 16:9 resolution. I'd love to have a 1920x1200 IPS display, but the problem is, well... money!

I'm getting really annoyed with how crappy most LCDs look nowadays. My phone's gorgeous (albeit slightly oversaturated) S-AMOLED makes me rage at my laptop's crappy TN panel.
Old 2011-01-21, 03:56   Link #29
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

to be honest I like the black rectangles filling up the screen in 16:9. Makes it feel more HD. I'm screwed in the head though and I watch my animu not full screen.

Tags
aspect ratio, history, missingthepoint.jpg