AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 31 34.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 27.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 15.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 12.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 5.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-06, 15:44   Link #81
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
With Ore no Imouto, I'm starting to get the sense that there's really no point to the slapstick comedy except being slapstick comedy. In other words, I don't know if it's supposed to say anything about the characters involved any more.
That pretty much seems the case for me. You could pretty much just sum it up as "people find others getting injured funny, so let's throw in some punches, kicks and slaps and cross our fingers hoping that the audience will get a laugh out of it".

Slapstick CAN be funny, but like someone said earlier, it's better when it's over-the-top and unrealistic. (Ah, Wile E. Coyote and Tom & Jerry. Absolute slapstick gold.~)

I find Oreimo's slapstick set-ups way too realistic and serious (and on occasion, stupid), and therefore instead of something humorous, it ends up being a situation that just hurts my image of the character.
Old 2010-12-06, 16:05   Link #82
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
With Ore no Imouto, I'm starting to get the sense that there's really no point to the slapstick comedy except being slapstick comedy. In other words, I don't know if it's supposed to say anything about the characters involved any more.
I must say that I feel this way as well. Actually this brings me back to my point from before when I mentioned that the issues lie between the transitions of comedy and drama. This episode had a pretty good example of that right at the beginning. The scene where Kirino slapped Kyousuke had a pretty serious feel to it and then we had the Ayase roundhouse kick which was obviously played for laughs.

I'm not necessarily comparing the 2 but rather pointing out that after the serious slap by Kirino, we were thrown into a nice casual conversation between Kyousuke, Kuroneko and Saori. It feels out of place to be honest and this has been a problem throughout the series actually. This show seems to be struggling to find a sense of identity.

It could be because of pacing issues or just issues within the staff, but it's been something that has bothered me throughout. But again, I'd rather not take this show too seriously I've still enjoyed this series and I hope to see something interesting in the last batch of episodes (this includes the web episodes.)

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-12-06, 16:09   Link #83
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ah, debate is kinda heated, but do remember children are reading and sometimes we have to watch our language.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-12-06, 16:17   Link #84
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
That pretty much seems the case for me. You could pretty much just sum it up as "people find others getting injured funny, so let's throw in some punches, kicks and slaps and cross our fingers hoping that the audience will get a laugh out of it".

Slapstick CAN be funny, but like someone said earlier, it's better when it's over-the-top and unrealistic. (Ah, Wile E. Coyote and Tom & Jerry. Absolute slapstick gold.~)
Agreed. I have very fond memories of both of those, especially Wile E. Coyote.

Quote:

I find Oreimo's slapstick set-ups way too realistic and serious (and on occasion, stupid), and therefore instead of something humorous, it ends up being a situation that just hurts my image of the character.
I usually find that to be the case as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I must say that I feel this way as well. Actually this brings me back to my point from before when I mentioned that the issues lie between the transitions of comedy and drama. This episode had a pretty good example of that right at the beginning. The scene where Kirino slapped Kyousuke had a pretty serious feel to it and then we had the Ayase roundhouse kick which was obviously played for laughs.
That's how I took both of those slaps too. Except that Kirino goes for such slaps and kicks so often that I'm actually almost desensitized to it by now. At some level, I still think "Why does Kyousuke even bother talking to her?", but at another level I just brush it aside and move on.

Quote:

I'm not necessarily comparing the 2 but rather pointing out that after the serious slap by Kirino, we were thrown into a nice casual conversation between Kyousuke, Kuroneko and Saori. It feels out of place to be honest and this has been a problem throughout the series actually. This show seems to be struggling to find a sense of identity.
Agreed. There's a lot of mood whiplash here.

Quote:

It could be because of pacing issues or just issues within the staff, but it's been something that has bothered me throughout. But again, I'd rather not take this show too seriously I've still enjoyed this series and I hope to see something interesting in the last batch of episodes (this includes the web episodes.)
I'm going to try to not take this series seriously either. Because honestly, I'm starting to think that we're not meant to, in spite of what the first few episodes were like.
Old 2010-12-06, 16:21   Link #85
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Anyhow, I think Kuroneko would totally win in the OP fight. But then again, we must not underestimate main character powers. How symbolic is it, anyways?

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-12-06, 16:26   Link #86
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Anyhow, I think Kuroneko would totally win in the OP fight. But then again, we must not underestimate main character powers. How symbolic is it, anyways?
I have to say that I loved the OP for this episode. One thing I'll give Ore no Imouto top marks for is spoofing popular anime genres - including mecha (OP for Episode 8), magical girl (a lot of content of this episode), and the kind of Darker than Black material that Kuroneko (and this OP) seems to go for. When this anime chooses to parody other animes, it's usually golden. That's why I'd kind of like it to stick to comedy. It does that pretty well.
Old 2010-12-06, 16:42   Link #87
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
I have to say that I loved the OP for this episode. One thing I'll give Ore no Imouto top marks for is spoofing popular anime genres - including mecha (OP for Episode 8), magical girl (a lot of content of this episode), and the kind of Darker than Black material that Kuroneko (and this OP) seems to go for. When this anime chooses to parody other animes, it's usually golden. That's why I'd kind of like it to stick to comedy. It does that pretty well.
Yea, I actually rewinded.

Also, Bridget reminds me of Fate; just because of the Nanoha references, and the fact she came jumping in with a cape and has blond hair.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-12-06, 16:57   Link #88
arissax

I for one, though this was a pretty good episode. i feel so bad for Kyōsuke sometimes lol. he gets yelled at , hit and ridiculed all the time and yet he still goes way out of his way for Kirino. It's so sweet and stupid LOL though i must say, Kanako-Kun is so dang cute!~ =^w^=

Yet so EVIL~ lol i feel bad for that Bridgette girl. XD
Old 2010-12-06, 17:00   Link #89
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Lame , well i thought the song was cool.

I like implied concepts in my posts though.
Old 2010-12-06, 17:03   Link #90
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

I must admit this was the first time i really thought Ayase was awesome.

And poor Bridget...

Kanako - Destroyer of Dreams
Old 2010-12-06, 17:06   Link #91
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
Also, Bridget reminds me of Fate; just because of the Nanoha references, and the fact she came jumping in with a cape and has blond hair.
Too bad she's not voiced by Mizuki Nana...

Quote:
In my opinion, 2 episodes is very little time to do anything significant without rushing development. A cliffhanger in this kind of show wouldn't be very good IMO. Anything they do is most likely going to feel rushed to me and/or insignificant.
It all depends on how far they'll go in next episode. Seems like they'll cover 2 chapters at once (Vol. 4 Ch. 2-3), which leave the last (TV) episode as alternative to Vol. 4 Ch. 4. As for rushed - for the most part a volume is usually divided into 3 episodes anyway, with last chapter usually getting a single episode (It's just the way the novel is written...).

Quote:
Kuroneko >>>> Kirino (story-wise and personal preference-wise).

EDIT:
Quote:
Yet so EVIL~ lol i feel bad for that Bridgette girl. XD
At least Kanako only throws the magical wand at her...in novel she basically blow the cigarette right into her face...
Old 2010-12-06, 18:04   Link #92
kitten320

Kanako smokes?

I guess cigerete is too much for a TV show...
Old 2010-12-06, 18:17   Link #93
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
At least Kanako only throws the magical wand at her...in novel she basically blow the cigarette right into her face...
Well... I'm glad it only resulted in that then.... I thought that was the cruelest part she can get to, but a cigarette?? That would just destroy Bridget's fantasies when she saw her on stage to a complete madhouse o.o..
Old 2010-12-06, 18:55   Link #94
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
I guess cigerete is too much for a TV show...
Well, Cigarette is probably not, but underage smoking probably is...(Although we have Kirino, being underage, buying eroge left and right...).
Old 2010-12-06, 19:02   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Given the trouble they went to being 'realistic' in this series... the slapstick is a fail (sigh). Still love the series overall, but drops a few notches every time they play "3 Stooges" moments.
Old 2010-12-06, 19:26   Link #96
Itlandm
Porcupine

This series shows its randomness once again. This is good in the sense that almost anyone will find something they like one week or another. It is bad in the sense that most weeks it is not worth watching, but I don't know for sure until halfway through.

I prefer series that cultivate a certain atmosphere throughout, so you can love them or leave them.
Old 2010-12-06, 19:37   Link #97
bombyethan1000

Spoiler:

Wow, a preview pic by Noizi Ito...that sure is godly and awesome XD
Old 2010-12-06, 19:45   Link #98
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikimtasu View Post
And on this week:
Spoiler for Ito!:
I never thought that Kanaka would have been able to actually pull it off surprisingly, but she looks exactly like Meruru if only she had the pink hair again..

I felt so bad for Kyousuke, having to take 3 punishments for trying to get something to go right, well I knew the incident between Ayase would have been inevitable, but with Kirino also... Well it was sorta expected, but to be provoked that easily..
Old 2010-12-06, 19:51   Link #99
christinemarie
Crazy One

This week (Dec 04, 2010 - Dec 10, 2010 is how I count my weekly viewing of anime) is full of foot stamping episodes from Ore no Imouto and Amagami SS, I guess anyone should be careful not to think lecherous or surprised someone you know as a lesson.

Kanako is the combined version of Luna Edomae (Seto no Hanayome) and Akira Kogami (Lucky Star) with Yukari Tamura piloting instead. I find it funny she talked to herself on stage (The one dubbing Meruru and Kanako are voiced by Yukari Tamura herself.)

I'm glad she's not smoking after that or even drinks beers when Bridget saw her. Agnes-chan might retaliate if the staff with hook-merang hit Bridget instead of Kyousuke.[ Kids shouldn't see this kind of devil Meruru indeed. It was hilarious at the end of the episode, even Kirino was surprised to see cospalyer Meruru gets arrested, silly Ayase forgots to give Kanako her dress back probably enjoying herself satisfied somewhere after accomplish her objective that day.

Kirino didn't even suspect how on earth she obtained the one of a kind Meruru figure. (Kyousuke obtains it from the recycle bin box where Kanako dumped it since she despises any Otaku-related items, and gave it to Ayase.)

Lesson this episode.
A black cat can't keep secrets.

Epic scene this episode.
"The clash between Kirino and Kuroneko scene."

Surprise this episode.
"Kanako is a 3-D spitting image of Meruru. If Kirino ever founds out about it, she would take Kanako home."

Epic word for this episode.
"Meruru turned into an evil witch."
Old 2010-12-06, 20:12   Link #100
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Wished Ayase ended up cosplaying as well

When Kirino just drops her barriers and just enjoys herself she can be pretty cute
Closed Thread