AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-02, 04:08   Link #121
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Just read chapter 14.

It confirms my belief that this is a science fiction disguised as sports. It feels more and more like PoT, without the charming characters.
Getting a ring-out from blocking an attack is indeed quite improbable, normally the receiver of the blow would just let go of the sword, although that too would end up in the same result. Rather average chapter, looks like it will indeed drag in this little fight for a while.
What's PoT btw?
Old 2011-12-02, 07:06   Link #122
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Getting a ring-out from blocking an attack is indeed quite improbable, normally the receiver of the blow would just let go of the sword, although that too would end up in the same result. Rather average chapter, looks like it will indeed drag in this little fight for a while.
What's PoT btw?
Prince of Tennis, I presume?
Old 2011-12-04, 10:46   Link #123
ShiroiRyu

Spoiler for 14:
Old 2011-12-04, 14:59   Link #124
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Typical shounen chapter of another nobody getting owned. Nothing to see here. Hard to care when the characters aren't really fleshed out all too well, yet. The author seems to be taking great delight in making his characters all seem really weak.
Old 2011-12-04, 15:35   Link #125
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Typical shounen chapter of another nobody getting owned. Nothing to see here. Hard to care when the characters aren't really fleshed out all too well, yet. The author seems to be taking great delight in making his characters all seem really weak.
It's not new, but it's kind of refreshing given very few of it's kind and quality have come out in recent times. Also they're not that weak...

Spoiler for 14:
Old 2011-12-05, 06:49   Link #126
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm, so we got strength, speed and stamina so far...with Yodaka having perception, what else is there left? Kamiya's last line was pretty cool
Old 2011-12-18, 13:45   Link #127
ShiroiRyu

Spoiler for 15:
Old 2011-12-18, 14:27   Link #128
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ShiroiRyu
Spoiler for 15:
Old 2011-12-19, 08:07   Link #129
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Next fight is bound to be awesome. Expect lots of underhanded attacks and serious injuries
Old 2011-12-19, 12:50   Link #130
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Interesting that I have very little interest in Kurogane's fight with god mode lad but Kamiya and Shidou's hold alot more interest, looking forward to Shidou's fight.

Still the matches are interesting to a degree yet I'm still more interested in seeing the romance play it's part
I know it won't be a big part but sub plot is good enough.
Old 2012-01-01, 15:42   Link #131
Johnny
Working the bags...

I suppose it can't get any worse for the team with losing all their matches. Well Kurogane is up next, but if he beats Aizen that'll be a miracle with the way things are going. He'll probably get in one strike or something, but still lose...

I seen ch 17 raw...
Spoiler:
Old 2012-01-01, 16:16   Link #132
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

17 was really good quality just like previous chapters. I hope this isn't just the series burning itself out and we get really crappy chapters later on because if it goes on like this it's gonna be one of my favorite series to follow.
Old 2012-01-01, 17:26   Link #133
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Will be back in a few weeks once this fight is over. Honestly, I find the action quite... Boring. I guess that's why I tend to avoid straight action or sports series. Having the deal with chapter after chapter of predictable events with little character development just doesn't do it for me anymore.
Old 2012-01-01, 17:30   Link #134
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Everyone says that. Yet never has anyone predicted anything before saying that, and it's always predictable after the fact. Just saying...
Old 2012-01-01, 17:51   Link #135
KLGChaos
The Shermain

What's to predict really? Typical action/sports series goes:

Team starts out getting owned.

Good players come in and make a comeback.

Enemy boss appears and destroys team.

Hero starts the fight by getting destroyed at first, but comes back through sheer will to save the day/win the game. Or, if it's a recurring boss, it ends up in a draw or close loss for the hero where he gains a "moral" victory instead of a real one. Lots of oohs and ahhs go around about how the newbie manages to hold his own. Rinse and repeat for 95% of the manga until the end.

I actually prefer the stuff in between the fights and matches where the characters and plot actually have a chance to develop and grow, instead of just looking at a series of pretty pictures for 300 chapters (*ahem*Bleach*ahem*).
Old 2012-01-01, 18:07   Link #136
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Everyone says that. Yet never has anyone predicted anything before saying that, and it's always predictable after the fact. Just saying...
Thats only if you go into real specifics of the story but it's generally a slightly broader predication that people take and I'd say thats more than enough to make a story interesting or not.

And well I'd say it's been somewhat predictable but for me I still find interesting enough to continue on reading on a weekly basis.
However not sure I can I'll be exicted for the generals fight, it may have it's moments and what not but the fact the god mode kid is walking god mode makes everything that much more less interesting.

I did like Shidou's fight tho, it was pretty cool, not exactly like pure hot blooded resolve as he wasn't beaten down completely and on the brink of defeat like it was his last moments in life, gald we didn't go have to go down that route for our "hot blooded" character.

And oddly enough I chuckled at how he glared at Tsubame, terrible thing to do to such a sweet lass but I think thats why I find it rather amusing

Again still mostly looking forward to any kinda romance elements popping up but not to say I'm not in it for the kendo as well otherwise I wouldn't be reading this if I wasn't.
Old 2012-01-01, 19:18   Link #137
ShiroiRyu

Spoiler for 16:
Old 2012-01-02, 06:06   Link #138
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@KLGChaos @Bonta Kun

If so then the wording is off. You should be saying "the series composition is predictable" the way you're phrasing it as just "it's predictable" makes it sound like you're some oracle who forsaw the specifics of the stunt Shidou pulled there.

A lot of people typically expect the formula, just like you expect a comedy manga to be funny, a romance manga to be romantic and so on. I suppose sport oriented are a little more plain in their formula but most people still expect to see that formula when they read it, and what they want to be surprised is how it's pulled off. So saying: "it's predictable" is just going to get confused as "the individual specifics are predictable". Imagine this was a romance manga and you said "it's predictable" do you think people would understand you meant "they'll eventually go on a date, it's predictable" or "the stuff/dialog in the current chapter is predictable". People hate randomness more then they hate genre formulas, IMHO.
Old 2012-01-05, 12:14   Link #139
ShiroiRyu

Spoiler for 17 + Sidestory:
Old 2012-01-05, 12:33   Link #140
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Cliff-hunger for the next chapterrrr! Dunno what to expect besides Kurogane losing this one.
Closed Thread